Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'm sure Djokovic won't be getting too ahead of himself right now, but CYGS must be on his mind. Is never usually an option with Nadal's dominance of RG but looking at the rest of he field, he'll never get a better chance.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    He's won 3 of the last 5 slams played, disqualified from one ( US 20) and lost to Nadal in the other (FO 20), so unless he suffers an injury which is possible or a serious dip in form he'll have 21 by AO next year at the latest, would expect him to pick up at least one more by end of 22 to bring him to 22

yes I did say at least.

sort of worst case scenario for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

glasso wrote: »
    Hewitt was gritty but by the time Fed was winning he was totally ineffective.

Roddick was pretty much no better than a Cilic or a Raonic.

There was very poor competition on grass in those days.

Federer set the standard on grass, Nadal eventually got to his level on that surface though in my opinion damaged his body in the process.

Federer made too much hard work of beating Roddick in Wimbledon final.

I'm sure Djokovic won't be getting too ahead of himself right now, but CYGS must be on his mind. Is never usually an option with Nadal's dominance of RG but looking at the rest of he field, he'll never get a better chance.

he has a chance but still very difficult.

that's why it hasn't been done since 1969 and even then many top players didn't really play all of the GS events.

but it would really put the icing on the cake for him and blow the GOAT argument out of the water.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I think the GOAT debate is likely done at this stage. Multiple slams at all four, h2h's with his main rivals, weeks at #1 plus masters record as well I think? He's there. Well unless Nadal springs an unexpected late challenge, but not likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

yes I did say at least.

sort of worst case scenario for him.

Expect him to be on at least 22

I think the GOAT debate is likely done at this stage. Multiple slams at all four, h2h's with his main rivals, weeks at #1 plus masters record as well I think? He's there. Well unless Nadal springs an unexpected late challenge, but not likely.

yes I've no doubt that he is but a calendar grand slam would mean that even the absolute Federer or Nadal die-hards would also have to concede that he is.

yes I've no doubt that he is but a calendar grand slam would mean that even the absolute Federer or Nadal die-hards would also have to concede that he is.

He could win 100 and I would never concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Some will never concede, that's why they're die hard fans, also everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that's part of the fun in sport and makes it interesting, be a bit boring if everyone held the same view.

forumdedum wrote: »
    He could win 100 and I would never concede.

good to know.

but that's impossible so is moot.

if he managed to win the calendar slam it would be just a dissenting voice that nobody would pay much heed to

Most Fed fans were ok with Djokovic until he started beating him at every single grand slam they met at :D

9 years and counting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

Federer was older? That's the sad part. At his peak no one could lace his boots.

Fed was 37 yo, 40-15 up on serve with championship point. Ballsed it up. Would have been his greatest win easily. He doesn't seem to do regrets but if he did that would be his biggest

someyoke wrote: »
    Fed was 37 yo, 40-15 up on serve with championship point. Ballsed it up. Would have been his greatest win easily. He doesn't seem to do regrets but if he did that would be his biggest

Yes, gifted a slam to Djokovic. Just like today in some ways

good to know.

but that's impossible so is moot.

if he managed to win the calendar slam it would be just a dissenting voice that nobody would pay much heed to

Most Fed fans were ok with Djokovic until he started beating him at every single grand slam they met at :D

9 years and counting.

I would need to do more research but Federer was not at his peak

I would need to do more research but Federer was not at his peak

I've just done a calculation and the total career Grand Slam events Djokovic Vs Federer head-to-head is an absolutely crushing

12 to 4 in favour of Novak Djokovic

No wonder the Fed-heads just can't accept him :D

He has absolutely wiped the floor with dear Roger at the majors

I've just done a calculation and the total career Grand Slam events Djokovic Vs Federer head-to-head is an absolutely crushing

12 to 4 in favour of Novak Djokovic

No wonder the Fed-heads just can't accept him :D

He has absolutely wiped the floor with dear Roger at the majors

I used to love watching Djokovic until he turned extremely negative.

Federer is the best tennis player I have ever seen. Nothing will change my opinion on that.

I used to love watching Djokovic until he turned extremely negative.

Federer is the best tennis player I have ever seen. Nothing will change my opinion on that.

until he started beating the crap out of Fed at the slams you mean :pac:

with that record it just looks like sour grapes.

it just does.

until he started beating the crap out of Fed you mean :pac:

That Wimbledon final was the last straw. Fed wrapped the slam in a bow for him. That's not winning in my book.

You have not taken the fact that the boring one is 5 years younger. That is the only reason Federer lost so much to him.

That Wimbledon final was the last straw. Fed wrapped the slam in a bow for him. That's not winning in my book.

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Crying shame Federer messed up that Wimbledon to move 2 ahead of Djokovic. Federer outclassed him and somehow lost.

1589391666697-png.355186

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

lostcat wrote: »
    If Nadal had put away that volley the other night he may well have won the match and, as someone said above, he would probalby have made shorter work of Tsitisipas today than Djokovic did. et voila, 21.

A lot of the younger guys have a game thats a decent fit for grass, so I wouldn't have Djokovic as hot favourite for Wimbledon, just favourite.
    The US is wide open at this stage also I think so Djokovic getting to 20+ is still going to take a small bit of doing.
    I think Nadal is going to need, as you say, a good slice of luck to win a slam this side of next years French. And Tsitsipas will be a year stronger by then then, Thiem might be back, and Nadal might be seeded 4 or 5.

If my Auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You have not taken the fact that the boring one is 5 years younger. That is the only reason Federer lost so much to him.

Nole has been getting wins for 13/14 years vs Federer..

This age excuse is lame..

Since 2011, when Roger was 29/30 and still very much brilliant, he was winning and losing vs Nole..22/10 Nole since 2011..

The record at slams is actually 11-6

for ND vs Fed

I rechecked it. The counting was not so accurate lol last night

Still utterly dominant and a big reason that the Fed-heads just can't give credit to Djokovic

including a 3-1 record at Wimbledon in favour of Djokovic

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just gone up 1000% in my estimation, Stefanos. I don't know how you even went on court, never mind win 2 sets. Federer should read this and have a word with himself. The ones on here calling him a bottler would want to do the same.

"Life isn't about winning or losing. It's about enjoying every single moment in life whether that's alone or with others. Living a meaningful life without misery and abjection. Lifting trophies and celebrating wins is something, but not everything. 5 minutes before entering the court my very beloved grandmother lost her battle with life. A wise woman whose faith in life, and willingness to give and provide can't be compared to any other human being that I have ever met. It's important to have more people like her in this world. Because people like her make you come alive. They make you dream. I would like to say that regardless of the day, circumstance or situation, this is entirely dedicated to her, and only her. Thank you for for raising my father. Without him this wouldn't have been possible."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

He found out afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's extraordinary if he got news of his granny's death just before going on court - Tsipsitas looked really calm and 'in the zone' in the first two sets. Loads of people were rooting for him. It's a great pity he didn't prevail as players of his age and skill should be winning major tournaments in big physical battles like this.

As regards the match, it seemed to turn abruptly at the end of the second set - Djok off to the bathroom for some 'magic' and Tsipsitas getting treatment. Still defies how men in their mid 30s can physically overcome young players in their prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

Federer set the standard on grass, Nadal eventually got to his level on that surface though in my opinion damaged his body in the process.

Federer made too much hard work of beating Roddick in Wimbledon final.

Roddick was unlucky in 04 and 09
    Didn't take his chances
    He had some serve mind you

Some of the slams Djockovic has when his back was to the wall has been ridiculous

This years FO and AO 2012 and Wimbledon 19 really stand out.

He's a remarkable athlete made of steel

It's actually mad warwinka is a Wimbledon away from a career slam

Haha

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Rob2D wrote: »
    He found out afterwards.

So he's lying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

In fairness to the Nadal supporters, most now acknowledge that Djokovic is at least as good as Nadal.
    A few holdout Federer supporters, no longer having the stats to argue with, are retreating behind arguments like 'most natural player', 'greatest ability', 'nicest to watch'.
    It's great to read, and I am so enjoying every single one of their posts.
    My only worry is that I'll run out of popcorn.
    Idemo.

Advertisement