Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

glasso wrote: »
    There is absolutely no question that he's the best tennis competitor that has ever been seen at this point.

Yes, he is never beaten.

How many titles is that now he has won that really he had no right to win.
    Has come from behind in a good few of his grand Slam wins.
    “Ten Deutsche marks, I remember 10 Deutsche marks,” said Djokovic, the 16-time Grand Slam singles title winner who went into the Australian Open this week as the reigning champion.

As he spoke, he slammed his hand on a conference room table, just as his father, Srdjan, had once slammed a 10-mark bill on the kitchen table of their cramped rented apartment in Belgrade.

This was during the violent breakup of the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s. Djokovic does not remember precisely when, but he remembers his father’s words.

“Ten Deutsche marks was, and my father said, ‘This is all we have,’” Djokovic said. “And he said that more than ever we have to stick together and go through this together and figure out the way. That was a very powerful and very impactful moment in my growth, my life, all of our lives.”

Thats an interesting story.

An insatiable hunger he has, has to be admired, all greats in every sport have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Tsitsipas didn't have a single break point in the last 3 sets. That's probably the most telling statistic.

Djokovic is the first man in the Open era to win each slam at least twice. And he's also only the third man to win at least two slams on each of grass, clay and hard, after Wilander* and Nadal.

*Yes, Wilander :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Thats an interesting story.

The twitter generation is always going to struggle against that kind of thing.
    klr87 wrote: »
    *Yes, Wilander :p

Hey I can't stand that idiot either but credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Wonder if Djoker can do the calender slam this year

eric hoone wrote: »

no point even considering that possibility imo unless he manages to win at SW19

even then the US Open is one of the most unpredictable slams

would like to see him do it to put to bed any argument whatsoever about G.O.A.T credentials

if the Flushing meadows Karen hadn't done a triple movement death drop he'd be holding all 4 slams right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,677 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Who’s the quite attractive woman speaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Augme

Didn't think Novak had it in him to comeback. No idea why I doubted him really. Roll on Wimbledon now! An excellent french open on the men's side this year.

He was the last player to win the first two slams of the year, in 2016. at which point he held all four titles. Between that and wining his first French Open, his level understandably dropped at Wimbledon. This time, I suspect his focus will be better, especially with a chance to go level with Roger and Rafa. But he will have very little time to prepare, because of the shortened grass season this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭hamburgham

How many languages can he speak?
    Especially delighted after all the abuse he got over his attitude to COVID.

walshb wrote: »
    Who’s the quite attractive woman speaking?
    Well, the only woman I can recall speaking without a mask was Marion Bartoli, so ...

• Advertisement

Pretty high-quality match overall from the stats

https://www.flashscore.com/match/CKcObIVB/#match-summary/match-statistics/0

klr87 wrote: »
    Well, the only woman I can recall speaking without a mask was Marion Bartoli, so ...

The other one, with the mask..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

When do the Nadal and Federer fan boys admit ND is the goat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

What a phenomenal competitor Djokovic is, just never knows when he is beaten. His mental strength at key moments is remarkable. First player in open era to win all slams twice, amazing achievement

walshb wrote: »
    The other one, with the mask..
    Ah, then I don't know ... or to be more exact, I can't remember. Most likely one of the bigwigs in the FFT (French Tennis Federation).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

no point even considering that possibility imo unless he manages to win at SW19

even then the US Open is one of the most unpredictable slams

would like to see him do it to put to bed any argument whatsoever about G.O.A.T credentials

if the Flushing meadows Karen hadn't done a triple movement death drop he'd be holding all 4 slams right now

Yeah f*cking hell, the ball barely skimmed past her neck and she went down like the Boston Strangler just worked on her for an hour ... wonder how much they had to pay her on the QT so she didn't take it to court and try and sue the arse off him ....

When he gets to 21 slams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Yeah f*cking hell, the ball barely skimmed past her neck and she went down like the Boston Strangler just worked on her for an hour ... wonder how much they had to pay her on the QT so she didn't take it to court and try and sue the arse off him ....

Still the only slam a next gen player has won and all were afraid to win it once Djokovic was disqualified, such a poor generation of players not fit to lace the boots of the generation before them

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's ridiculous, but Djokovic won it with that break in the third.

It's all he needed to get in Tsitsipas' head. And that was it. All downhill.

The amount of top 3 dominance that is down to the head is underplayed.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Still the only slam a next gen player has won and all were afraid to win it once Djokovic was disqualified, such a poor generation of players not fit to lace the boots of the generation before them

Thiem and Zverev were poor and don't really have it mentally.

Tsitsipas even in defeat showed grit today, up to end of the final game.

Sinner I expect should be good also if he continues to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Not a Nadal fan boy but he's always been my favourite to watch and I'd be comfortable with having Djokovic above him.

Thiem and Zverev were poor and don't really have it mentally.

Tsitsipas even in defeat showed grit today, up to end of the final game.

Sinner I expect should be good also if he continues to develop.

Tsitsipas looks the best of the lot (that's not saying much), plus he won't have to deal with Djokovic for most of his career, Sinner by the time he's in his prime 2 or 3 years from now won't have Djokovic to deal with either that's massive.

I think Theim, Zverev and Medvedev are all too flaky to be considered real contenders on a consistent basis, this was a great opportunity for Theim especially to win the FO with Nadal and Djokovic on the other side, plus he has the game on clay to beat Novak, yet, he went out in the first round, yes I know he's form was poor coming into it, but, to fall at the first hurdle was poor.

I wonder how long more do we have to wait for the next gen to win a slam where Djokovic or Nadal ( or even Federer) aren't absent for one reason or another?

Tsipsitas did well today - he didn't hand it to Djokovic

There was plenty of tension on a couple of Djokovic's service games in the final set

He had some fantastic holds on his service games and even when Djokovic broke it was mostly very hard won.

He literally hit 4 winners on bp's in that crucial game in the third set but just couldn't do it a 5th time.

He knows what it is to meet ultimate level competition in a GS final and just fall short.

Invaluable experience.

Could be worth more to him than a slam in the long-run as it could be the difference in winning a few of them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1404129861732601861?s=20

That kid will remember that moment forever!!!

Tsipsitas did well today - he didn't hand it to Djokovic

There was plenty of tension on a couple of Djokovic's service games in the final set

He had some fantastic holds on his service games and even when Djokovic broke it was mostly very hard won.

He literally hit 4 winners on bp's in that crucial game in the third set but just couldn't do it a 5th time.

He knows what it is to meet ultimate level competition in a GS final and just fall short.

Invaluable experience.

Could be worth more to him than a slam in the long-run as it could be the difference in winning a few of them in the future.

He should definitely learn a lot from today, but, I wouldn't necessarily agree that you have to lose one to win one, he was in a great position, 2 sets up with his opponent not playing well, yes Djokovic improved, but, I'd still say Djokovic didn't play that well today, certainly well below the level he normally has to play to, to win a slam final
    Once Djokovic broke in the third set there really was only one winner for me, Tsitsipas completely lost his belief and started to play a lot of loose shots,obviously difficult knowing you have such a difficult opponent on the opposite side who just won't die like a normal player would.

I'm not saying you have to lose I've to win one, rather that that experience could be the difference between being a lasting consistent force at the top of the men's game in the future and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

lostcat wrote: »
    Hard to see Djokovic letting it slip today, but if Tsitsipas comes out aggressive and is painting the lines it will be very interesting. I don't think he will be able to keep it up for 3 sets however

Good read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

SlickRic wrote: »
    The amount of top 3 dominance that is down to the head is underplayed.

And that's why I don't like some of Djokovic's court carryon. He's No1 and should treat those lower down the order as he'd like to be treated himself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I guess he just didn't understand the rules?

fT8MYpil.png

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    I guess he just didn't understand the rules?

fT8MYpil.png

Hope he learnt more than that!

Advertisement