Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

Won't be dark for long tonight so if you can't sleep ........

EDIT: Every year mid-late June is hell for me trying to sleep no matter how tired I am during the day or going to bed I get 3-4 hours and then I'm twisting and turning, why I was out this morning at 5 O'clock and the last couple of weekends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unless you're a lizard, looks like tomorrow morning is the best time to get out (though already forecast to have hit 20C by 9am)

unless you're a lizard, looks like tomorrow morning is the best time to get out (though already forecast to have hit 20C by 9am)

It's the humidity that ****s me up. I remember about 8 years riding with herself in her country, it being 28c with feck all humidity which was usual in that part most of the time and being as comfortable as here for me at maybe 20c or less.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Headed out with the club today to Tara via Rathoath & Skryne. Hit a pothole along the way and ended up with a pinch flat on my front.
    The Continental tyre was a right bitch to get off the rim - never seen the likes of it and I'm glad I wasn't out on my own. When we eventually got the new tube in and the tyre back on, it turned out that tube must have been crimped against the tyre as it was leaking so the tyre had to come off again :rolleyes:
    Thr morning started off cool but didn't take too long to warm up but the it felt like there was a headwind no matter what direction we were going.
    92km @ 30.2km/h
    https://strava.app.link/zqdMXz9x2gb

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yeah and Meath is flat.
    You should see Kildare!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Headed out with the club today to Tara via Rathoath & Skryne. Hit a pothole along the way and ended up with a pinch flat on my front.
    The Continental tyre was a right bitch to get off the rim - never seen the likes of it and I'm glad I wasn't out on my own. When we eventually got the new tube in and the tyre back on, it turned out that tube must have been crimped against the tyre as it was leaking so the tyre had to come off again :rolleyes:
    Thr morning started off cool but didn't take too long to warm up but the it felt like there was a headwind no matter what direction we were going.
    92km @ 30.2km/h
    https://strava.app.link/zqdMXz9x2gb

Would you have hit the pothole out on your own, or did someone fail to call it?

Weepsie wrote: »
    Would you have hit the pothole out on your own, or did someone fail to call it?
    The particular bit of road was quite poor. It was just unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

The particular bit of road was quite poor. It was just unfortunate.
    I know of a bad section on the skryne road but I think it was on the opposite side. (Skryne to Ratoath ) direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Was it off the north side if skryne near the gallops?

Cus that's where I ended up battling with a bitch of a continental 2 weeks ago.
    Really thought I'd not get it back on.

Also where I realized my frame pump was knackered. Luckily the owner of the gallops is a fellow cyclist and came to my aid.

The puncture actually happened just south-west of Kilmessan, not before Tara; apologies for any confusion. It was somewhere along here (IIRC the surface has deteriorated since Google drove it)...
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/7C3fM7HcGjEnUtEC9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Currently eating a 99 from Teddy's in Dun Laoghaire, the sun's out and it's not mobbed. Great day for an easy spin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

madre de dios, that was sweltery out there today; decided to take it reasonably easy but i think i found some of the worst paved roads in christendom though, just north east of the ridge at the nag's head.
    got soaked on the way back, someone has set up one of those powerful watering machines in a field between ballyboughal and oldtown and it's completely overshooting into the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭AhhHere

What a morning! Still learning the cycling ropes but loving it as an option to supplement my running.

Went from Dublin CC out and up Howth hill. Much nicer climb than Stocking Lane. Gradient easier and some levelling out for relief in spots. I went anti clockwise and the spin down into the village was a blast. Was terrified coming down from mountains but this was amazing.

Left hand was a bit numb near index finger and thumb but googling says I'm leaning on the wrong point of the hand. So will look to correct

I've a few noob questions if anyone can part some advice.

1. Using my Garmin forerunner 230 watch to track on Strava but have a phone holder. Am I better using strava direct from that? I know with running Garmin has a better GPS and more conveient to carry but maybe phone is perfect for a bike?

2. Have picked up more clothing but still need clipless pedals/shoes. Suggestions welcome. Places I can try on or have good returns.

3. When shifting gears I might be on 1 on the front gear (I think this is the left one) and moving betweeen backs gears (assuming right hand side). When I shift up the back gears higher towards 7. I need to change to the front gear. But then I'm 2 on the front and 7 on the back. Ideally I'd go from 1/7 to 2/1 instead of 1/7 to 2/7. Not a techincal person so hope that makes sense. Is there something I should be doing better? Maybe shift the front when on a middle back gear?

Otherwise cracking day 45K at 22.5KMPH and 1084m elevation gained

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Get used to minimizing the moves on the front.
    It's a big movement.

So cycle mostly in the big front cog.

See a decent hill ahead. Go up say 3 or 4 on the back and then straight away go down from big to small on the front.
    Edit: give the back a second to settle before moving front

Don't wait for the hill to do this. Do it while you have momentum.
    Similarly stay in the small until you're accelerating down the hill. Shift down a couple on the back and up into the big on the front.

You'll get used to minimizing the front shifts.
    Often lesser hills don't even need the small front cog.
    And equally lesser descents may not need the big one.

Edit. I see you have a 7 speed. This may need a wee bit more changing of the front than I'm used to. But the premise is the same. Get your front shift in before the hill not halfway up it

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭AhhHere

Get used to minimizing the moves on the front.
    It's a big movement.

So cycle mostly in the big front cog.

See a decent hill ahead. Go up say 3 or 4 on the back and then straight away go down from big to small on the front.

Don't wait for the hill to do this. Do it while you have momentum.
    Similarly stay in the small until you're accelerating down the hill. Shift down a couple on the back and up into the big on the front.

You'll get used to minimizing the front shifts.
    Often lesser hills don't even need the small front cog.
    And equally lesser descents may not need the big one.

Edit. I see you have a 7 speed. This may need a wee bit more changing of the front than I'm used to. But the premise is the same. Get your front shift in before the hill not halfway up it

Thanks a mill. Used 7 as an example. I think I have 9 from checking the spec online. Would rarely change the front gear tbh. Mostly sit in 1 and move the back up and down. Apprecite the tips above!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Woke up this morning and regretted every single one of the 4 beers I had last night - felt like I had 40! I managed to drag myself out with the club because the alternative was to have to listen to the wife giving me stick about missing the spin because I was hungover…

Anyway once I got out it wasn’t too bad. 123km at 32.1km/h and 600 up. Taking in a lot of south - west Meath around Kinegad, Enfield, Edenderry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

Set off from Ballycanew to meet up, Gorey to Ferns, out new Enniscorthy bypass, towards Clonroche, taking a right turn for Kilteally, legs felt heavy at this point, long winding road across to Ferns, got a second wind, Camolin Gorey and back to Ballycanew. Another gran Fondo 100km avg 29kph and 820 meters.
    4km warm down hanging at this point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭this.lad

20km with the two young lads today. They were looking at me with the puppy dog eyes as I was getting the bike out so I said, c'mon.

Nice slow spin, home before the heavy sun and the two boys happy as Larry. What more could you ask for...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dublin-> Brittas->Blessington->Lake Drive->Blessington->Ratmore->Kilteel->Saggart->Dublin

93km @ 25km/h.

Nice spin, makes a change from Dublin/Wicklow mountains, nice climb to start with, then fairly flat. Warm enough out there today to say the least!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5463326123

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

barnesmore gap >> fin valley >> meenglass >> derg line 85km great day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

My first 100km spin since the Wicklow 100 2 years ago and boy did I feel it! Down the coast from Greystones to Arklow and back. Felt great on the way down but around the 80k mark I started really suffering. The traffic around Brittas Bay was unbelievable people must have been hours waiting to get into the car parks! Really tired now but I suppose it’s a good tired! Great to get 100 done as I’ve been only doing up to 60 for a long time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Road and gravel today with the highlight being the base of Lough Dan up the Inchavore trail to the Sally Gap. Bit of a bike'n'hike effort but stunning scenery made it worth every minute. It's been a route I've fancied for a while now and it certainly delivered. Missed the turn off from the river to the fire road to way more hike than anticipated and a bit shattered from carrying the bike in the sun for longer than planned. The actual fire road climb was grand but cut the planned 110k back to 80k as I was out of water way too soon. Will probably do the route in reverse next time out, though maybe on different tyres. The Gravel King slicks are good but knobblies at lower pressure would have made life much easier.

555792.jpg

555793.jpg

90k with 1000 up @ 30kph for me first thing this morning. Nice to be out and home before the real heat kicked in. One of those rare days when you can get out with a short sleeved jersey and not have to worry about packing much else.

Saw a few groups out going at a good clip and would love to join one but unfortunately it just doesn't suit being tied to specific times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

Glorious day, took a risk and popped over the border to Wexico down the coast road for 30km or so.

Excellent draft behind a tractor or two on the way home up the old N11, ended up 70km at 28kmph with 540m climbing. Felt really strong at the end, like another loop strong - instead I mowed the lawn and cheered at the telly drinking beer.

Which was nice.

smacl wrote: »
    Road and gravel today with the highlight being the base of Lough Dan up the Inchavore trail to the Sally Gap. Bit of a bike'n'hike effort but stunning scenery made it worth every minute. It's been a route I've fancied for a while now and it certainly delivered. Missed the turn off from the river to the fire road to way more hike than anticipated and a bit shattered from carrying the bike in the sun for longer than planned. The actual fire road climb was grand but cut the planned 110k back to 80k as I was out of water way too soon. Will probably do the route in reverse next time out, though maybe on different tyres. The Gravel King slicks are good but knobblies at lower pressure would have made life much easier.

555792.jpg

555793.jpg

Going to need you to give me some routes I think. Have a frame soon to go and would probably be good on those trails

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

80K around South Wicklow on roads more suited to a gravel bike (some of them were little more than farm tracks and many of the main roads have been tar-and-chipped by the council). South Wicklow is a beautiful part of the world that gets a bit forgotten as there are no big towns and it's not on the way to anywhere. It was very quiet down there today, when I got back to Greystones it was like being in a holiday resort it was so busy.

What a day though, not actually too sweltering for much of it as there was mixed cloud cover but the last 25K or so was tough as the sun came out and temperature climbed.; when I got home I went for a swim in the sea to cool down.

New road discovery of the day - this lane near Woodenbridge which I had always assumed was the gate to some estate; leads to a lovely little switchback climb through glorious rhododendron blooms (should've taken a picture).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

Was down that neck if the woods the last 2 Saturdays, up around Ballycoog, alternative directions, but last Saturday wasn't as good due to Wicklow co co dumping lorry loads of loose gravel on lots of side roads, treacherous stuff all together .

loyatemu wrote: »
    New road discovery of the day - this lane near Woodenbridge which I had always assumed was the gate to some estate; leads to a lovely little switchback climb through glorious rhododendron blooms (should've taken a picture).

Jaysus, I assumed the same. I've passed that dozens of times as the OH is from down that way thinking that. Will go a looking next time.

Agree on South Wicklow. Loads of little laneways to explore and have to yourself

Weepsie wrote: »
    Going to need you to give me some routes I think. Have a frame soon to go and would probably be good on those trails

Not a bother, strava link for yesterday is here. The facebook Irish gravel cycling group is also well worth investigating. Some lovely options around Wicklow but you have to expect a fair number of dead ends and lugging the bike over and around obstacles. Personally, I find the exploring part to be great fun so don't really mind.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »

Nice find, will definitely head down there at some point over the summer. A bit of fitness is slowly starting to kick in so South Wicklow is back in range for weekend spins again.

Advertisement