Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cycled to the Aviva stadium this morning for my 1st dose of the vaccine. Then I met up with a group from the running club and took a spin out to Enniskerry which is apparently turning into a film set. Had a very pleasant coffee and cake and back in towards home after an hour or so.

50km all in, 23km/h average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Now that we're fully vaccinated, my wife & I went down to her sister's in Waterford (first time in 16 months) and took a few trips on the greenway.
    Also went out solo, and did a loop from WD city through Tramore, along the coast to Annestown and then north to join the greenway at Carrolls Cross - 72km at 27.5 average with 585 ascent - gorgeous...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kinda frustrating stop start evening this evening. Kept having to stop to pull gravel off my tyres after cycling through a stupidly tarry road resurfacing job, then decided to turn back on the ratoath dunshaughlin road due to high traffic volumes (I believe there may have been a fatality in the area, so there could have been road closures) then picked up my second puncture in the last month (and second in the last year) when a van came around a bend on a back road and I hit a pothole trying to avoid it.

A beautiful evening out nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

why does the rain start at 6.30pm and finish at 8pm on a Wednesday evening

Kinda frustrating stop start evening this evening. Kept having to stop to pull gravel off my tyres after cycling through a stupidly tarry road resurfacing job, then decided to turn back on the ratoath dunshaughlin road due to high traffic volumes (I believe there may have been a fatality in the area, so there could have been road closures) then picked up my second puncture in the last month (and second in the last year) when a van came around a bend on a back road and I hit a pothole trying to avoid it.

A beautiful evening out nonetheless.

Unfortunately so, on the R125 towards Drumree I believe.

• Advertisement

Nine long days out of the saddle with a combination of a cold and sick kids. Had taken a few days off around the long weekend and planned a few very long spins but they were all canned.

Got out tonight for a lovely 45k with 700 climbing at 27kph. Lovely and warm even if it was very grey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why does the rain start at 6.30pm and finish at 8pm on a Wednesday evening
    because you live in donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Did the Waterford Greenway today. Dungarvan-Waterford-Dungarvan.

A great amenity and it was great to see so many cyclists of all abilities using it.

A few observations:
    1. The amount of people who don’t seem to realize it’s a two-way route and cycle “all over the road”
    2. The amount of people who don’t know how to wear a bicycle helmet!

Still.. very enjoyable and I’d recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Did the Waterford Greenway today. Dungarvan-Waterford-Dungarvan.

A great amenity and it was great to see so many cyclists of all abilities using it.

A few observations:
    1. The amount of people who don’t seem to realize it’s a two-way route and cycle “all over the road”
    2. The amount of people who don’t know how to wear a bicycle helmet!

Still.. very enjoyable and I’d recommend it to anyone.

Totally agree, did it two years ago, Dungarvan-Waterford-Dungarvan, thoroughly enjoyed it. Visited Mount Congreve Gardens on return journey, lovely place. Dungarvan is a great town to stay in, good restaurants and pubs and a great choice of accommodation etc. etc. Hope to do it again later in the summer all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

because you live in donegal.

you sir are on my ignore list :eek::D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out on my hybrid this morning and managed 51km @ 27.4km/h.
    Lovely bright morning but was fairly breezy. Found my arms tiring on the flatbar after a while though.
    I actually had it in my head to get a coffee from the cafe in Lyons on the spin but it turns out that they don't open until 11 :(

I didn't put my camera on the bike and I kinda regret it now.
    Along the Royal canal near Ardclough, a lad overtook me leaving centimetres between us. Anyone who knows this road will be familiar with the poor surface and that it is narrow. I shouted at him and he stopped using his mini-van thing to block the entire road giving out to me that I was in the middle of the road and I should be "over there as he pointed left which was literally the grass verge or canal itself :rolleyes:.

Further on, on the northerly stretch approaching Peamount Hospital, an artic decided to overtake me as a queue of traffic was approaching. I slowed to an almost stop - had to for obvious reasons. The oncoming traffic led by a tractor was made stop because of the feckless artic driver.
    Kudos to the lad in a yellow van following the artic because he followed me all the way to the new junction at Grange Castle (about 2km). In fairness, I was doing about 35km/h there so wasn't really holding him up. Gave him a "thanks" wave when I turned right and got a nice friendly wave back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5445064413

^ You should consider new grips with the bar ends on them Seth, so much more comfortable even for shorter day to day trips.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Went out on my hybrid this morning and managed 51km @ 27.4km/h.
    Lovely bright morning but was fairly breezy. Found my arms tiring on the flatbar after a while though.
    I actually had it in my head to get a coffee from the cafe in Lyons on the spin but it turns out that they don't open until 11 :(

I didn't put my camera on the bike and I kinda regret it now.
    Along the Royal canal near Ardclough, a lad overtook me leaving centimetres between us. Anyone who knows this road will be familiar with the poor surface and that it is narrow. I shouted at him and he stopped using his mini-van thing to block the entire road giving out to me that I was in the middle of the road and I should be "over there as he pointed left which was literally the grass verge or canal itself :rolleyes:.

Further on, on the northerly stretch approaching Peamount Hospital, an artic decided to overtake me as a queue of traffic was approaching. I slowed to an almost stop - had to for obvious reasons. The oncoming traffic led by a tractor was made stop because of the feckless artic driver.
    Kudos to the lad in a yellow van following the artic because he followed me all the way to the new junction at Grange Castle (about 2km). In fairness, I was doing about 35km/h there so wasn't really holding him up. Gave him a "thanks" wave when I turned right and got a nice friendly wave back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5445064413

I assumed that road was the canal path give! Narrow is one word

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grouchyman

Early morning spin for me. warm & breezy 25.82 kms at 26.1 kph.

I just noticed there on strava that my relative effort for this spin is 32 previously it was between 124 and 141 for the same spin earlier this year. I must keep an eye on that to see if its a trend or just a fluke. But I presume it means that the fitness level is improving?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

grouchyman wrote: »
    Early morning spin for me. warm & breezy 25.82 kms at 26.1 kph.

I just noticed there on strava that my relative effort for this spin is 32 previously it was between 124 and 141 for the same spin earlier this year. I must keep an eye on that to see if its a trend or just a fluke. But I presume it means that the fitness level is improving?

Think it's just a measure of heartrate zones by time added up

One thing with strava is that they have the heartrate zones completely balls up by default. eg Zone 5 is basically 100% and above, which is impossible.

Maybe you import from an app that sorts it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

grouchyman wrote: »
    ...I just noticed there on strava that my relative effort for this spin is 32 previously it was between 124 and 141 for the same spin earlier this year. I must keep an eye on that to see if its a trend or just a fluke. But I presume it means that the fitness level is improving?
    I'm open to correction but I don't think Strava can take wind into account. You could be turning yourself inside out battling a very strong headwind yet Strava might indicate that, going by your average speed, you're slacking.

Similarly, you could coast along with a very strong tailwind, without scratching yourself and it may think that your pulling out all the stops going by your average speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grouchyman

Think it's just a measure of heartrate zones by time added up

One thing with strava is that they have the heartrate zones completely balls up by default. eg Zone 5 is basically 100% and above, which is impossible.

Maybe you import from an app that sorts it for you
    I'm open to correction but I don't think Strava can take wind into account. You could be turning yourself inside out battling a very strong headwind yet Strava might indicate that, going by your average speed, you're slacking.

Similarly, you could coast along with a very strong tailwind, without scratching yourself and it may think that your pulling out all the stops going by your average speed.

Thanks lads.

I reckon I'm as well off to just keep ignoring the relative effort so. I just thought it was gas - the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Cycled to the Dundalk vaccination center and back this morning. Lovely soft soft day for it, cross-wind wasn't too bad either. Spied the 'Milk Shack' near Dromiskin, and plenty of people filling up there. What a cool idea, I wish there were more of these around the country!

Overall 67kms @ 24.3kmph, 439m elevation.

Another interesting observation is that I scored a bunch of shiny PB's on the way back from vaccination... hmm, lesser known side-effects of mRNA vaccine perhaps? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Finally back out on the bike with no panniers as I didn’t need to bring the van to work so cycled over, blanch to castlewarden. That bit of a climb out of Newcastle village was tough but I nearly broke the speed barrier coming back over it!

Lovely Saturday morning.
    Bettystown, Platin, Donore Tullyallen. West up and up to lobinstown down to stackallen.
    Then home by Ros na Ri, Donore, Drogheda

80k and about 850m.

I was supposed to be home at 11:30. Forgot myself and only looked at the time at Stackallen. Had to push on for the last hour home, stupidly with Strava paused.

Got there with a couple mins to spare.

Best part of it all was that from say Platin to the Sally Gardens, at least an hour later, not one vehicle.
    Think I met a couple at Old bridge, that was it

• Advertisement

124kms 27.2kph, down to Carlow and back up through Kildare, saw a man racing a transit van with his horse and cart? if that’s what’s it’s called, interesting place Carlow, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭byrnem31

My first 100klm. Tallaght to baltinglass return. Lovely cycle and not as hard as I thought it would be.

happy with that afternoon, first time i've bested 30km/h average on a cycle in many months. 70km at 30.3km/h, 454m elevation. though i will take issue with strava claiming 'Temperature: 17C; Feels like: 17C'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

Cycled 15km into Gorey to meet up, headed to Arklow, Woodenbridge, Meeting of the waters, Ballinaclash, Aughrim, Balkycoog, , Inch, Gorey and 15km home.
    105km Avg 27.6kph 820 meters.
    First gran fondo since end of March, happy out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lovely Saturday morning.
    Bettystown, Platin, Donore Tullyallen. West up and up to lobinstown down to stackallen.
    Then home by Ros na Ri, Donore, Drogheda

80k and about 850m.

I was supposed to be home at 11:30. Forgot myself and only looked at the time at Stackallen. Had to push on for the last hour home, stupidly with Strava paused.

Got there with a couple mins to spare.

Best part of it all was that from say Platin to the Sally Gardens, at least an hour later, not one vehicle.
    Think I met a couple at Old bridge, that was it

Lovely spin that.

Yeah and Meath is flat.

weird that garristown seems to be about the same height as bellewstown. certainly doesn't feel that way.

https://en-ie.topographic-map.com/maps/85/County-Meath/

weird that garristown seems to be about the same height as bellewstown. certainly doesn't feel that way.

https://en-ie.topographic-map.com/maps/85/County-Meath/

It's a bit further inland. A lot of the ground around the base of Bellewstown N E and W are almost sea level.

Tara and skryne are just higher than Bellewstown.
    Skryne is only a pimple from the East and South.

yeah, the fact that bellewstown has a river just to the north not much above sea level makes a big difference.

Jez I fell like I should be posting in the wimp list thread having rode the coast of Co. Meath from Drogheda to Laytown and back this morning for a short spin, even heading into town I rolled down a hill with minus 7-10% in places :D

Though the hill through Julianstown saw me do a bit of climbing on the way back. I actually love riding that section of the R132 at that time of day, one of the few times I don't mind being on it, up over the hill and up through the gears again to TT home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭this.lad

Football, soccer and several other child related activities left me looking at getting out at 4 o clock. Went up to get changed and sat down on the bed, woke up two hours later!

Did 40km at 8pm, 28km/h fairly flat.

I'll either sleep like a baby, or I'll be up all night!

Advertisement