Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's he cuttin?

Options
  • 13-06-2021 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭

Idle question for a Sunday morning - though its very obvious farmers are not idle today! An adjacent field(s) of grass which usually has cows grazing it for one day at a time, then they get moved on, has been allowed to grow for a couple of weeks and has now been cut, two days ago.

A machine is turning it about twice a day and it is drying out. What will the product be here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

looksee wrote: »
    Idle question for a Sunday morning - though its very obvious farmers are not idle today! An adjacent field(s) of grass which usually has cows grazing it for one day at a time, then they get moved on, has been allowed to grow for a couple of weeks and has now been cut, two days ago.

A machine is turning it about twice a day and it is drying out. What will the product be here?

Silage or hay. That's a lot of turning for silage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭emaherx

Hay. It's just grass dried up in the sun. But a useful feed for cattle/sheep/horses etc.
    Silage or hay. That's a lot of turning for silage though.
    If it's been turned twice a day it's not silage anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks, yes that's what was puzzling me in the depths of my great ignorance on farming matters. Too dry for silage but started out too green for hay, I thought. Smells gorgeous though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It might only have been turned once a day, the machine(s) are out in all the fields and I have lost track a bit. Great drying today, yesterday was fine but a bit humid, previous days foggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭emaherx

It might only have been turned once a day, the machine(s) are out in all the fields and I have lost track a bit. Great drying today, yesterday was fine but a bit humid, previous days foggy.

If it was turned more than once it won't be silage any more.

Silage will be baled up green with a fairly high moisture content then wrapped.

Haylage will be turned till it reaches a lower moisture content then baled and wrapped.

Hay will be turned until it is completely dry then baled with no need for wrapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks, yes that's what was puzzling me in the depths of my great ignorance on farming matters. Too dry for silage but started out too green for hay, I thought. Smells gorgeous though!
    As the others have said it's going for hay.

Imagine a bitterly cold wet dreary day in the middle of Winter, opening a bale of that hay for cattle and getting the smell of lovely sweet hay. It's guaranteed to brighten your day as you release a little bit of Summer :)

Advertisement