Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yes I've tried Precision, Firestorm and AB and they are all the same. It's so frustrating.
    Something else controlling the card, like a third app?

I've disabled literally everything but it's still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

So I have an address in Germany I can use (a friend who lives there) am I right in thinking I should set up my notebooksbillinger.de account to be able to buy from the Nvidia site?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I think we are turning the corner on the RTX bubble. I'm seeing the beginnings of price/stock improvements in new and used listings. We could be back to "only" 20% over MSRP in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

Luck100 wrote: »
    I think we are turning the corner on the RTX bubble. I'm seeing the beginnings of price/stock improvements in new and used listings. We could be back to "only" 20% over MSRP in a couple of months.

Where are you seeing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tin Man wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that?

Overpriced shops like overclockers have stock in cards like the 3070 hanging around in relatively large numbers. That means market saturation at that price point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

Overpriced shops like overclockers have stock in cards like the 3070 hanging around in relatively large numbers. That means market saturation at that price point.
    They do?
    I know caseking has 3070's in stock consistently for about 2 months now but their prices are still between €1100 and €1500 :)

Listings on adverts no longer flying off the shelf at or beyond asking. Sellers lowering prices (shocking!) from past highest sales levels. Just the beginnings, it's hardly time to go shopping yet unless you like catching a falling knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I see the rx 6700xt’s are still in stock, still overpriced though

I see the rx 6700xt’s are still in stock, still overpriced though

yep, but this is the NVidia RTX thread...

Tin Man wrote: »
    They do?
    I know caseking has 3070's in stock consistently for about 2 months now but their prices are still between €1100 and €1500 :)

I went back and checked, its 3060's that have been there for a while now at the 600 quid sterling mark.

Caseking and Overclockers have the same parent company and to be honest, have been some of the worst Globally for price gouging. So the next time I see either whining about getting no cards, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Also, if AMD stock is the same, then it effectively means the same thing. Nvidia and AMD don't exist in isolation of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I went back and checked, its 3060's that have been there for a while now at the 600 quid sterling mark.

Caseking and Overclockers have the same parent company and to be honest, have been some of the worst Globally for price gouging. So the next time I see either whining about getting no cards, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Also, if AMD stock is the same, then it effectively means the same thing. Nvidia and AMD don't exist in isolation of each other.

Also I think it was said here recently but there’s a lot more mining rigs going for sake on adverts in the last 2 weeks along with a good few ex mining cards.
    So it might turn a bit.

I would be extremely hesitant buying 2nd hand GPU's to be honest. A lot of people are running these cards clocked to the edge, memory at the threshold of operating spec 24/7, fans at 90+ since they got them, etc.

It's not a big deal to them when they are under warranty, but different story altogether when you're buying them as 2nd hand. Grand if they are relatively cheap cards like RX580's or whatever, but for me, definitely not worth spending big money on 2nd hand in-demand cards like the RTX3 cards, and just continue to wait it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Homelander wrote: »
    Yes I've tried Precision, Firestorm and AB and they are all the same. It's so frustrating.

I've disabled literally everything but it's still the same.

Did you get this sorted?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Did you get this sorted?

I actually did! Would you believe in the end it turned out to be the motherboard.

I put the 3090 in my other PC and it worked fine, then tried my old card in my main PC and same problem, can apply settings via afterburner/precision but makes no actual impact.

Really bizarre. Obviously a motherboard issue of some kind but nothing I can do about it as the current bios is the only one that supports my 5600X, the previous one kept bluescreening and crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

How'd you manage to get a 3090 at reasonable value?

I actually did! Would you believe in the end it turned out to be the motherboard.

I put the 3090 in my other PC and it worked fine, then tried my old card in my main PC and same problem, can apply settings via afterburner/precision but makes no actual impact.

Really bizarre. Obviously a motherboard issue of some kind but nothing I can do about it as the current bios is the only one that supports my 5600X, the previous one kept bluescreening and crashing.

I really doubt its the Mobo, there is nothing really between the mobo + gpu, its mobo --> cpu via direct express lanes. Your problem seems to be OS based or driver. Something in Nvidia control panel like a boost option you might have enabled before? I'd do a complete wipe of drivers first.

I'm quite sure it's not drivers as the older card is a Vega 56 and it's the same story, I didn't wipe the OS but pretty much tried everything else. Obviously there is a technical reason but I'm pretty stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm quite sure it's not drivers as the older card is a Vega 56 and it's the same story, I didn't wipe the OS but pretty much tried everything else. Obviously there is a technical reason but I'm pretty stumped.

Could it be a bandwidth issue on the mobo?

Obviously I'm sure you've tried different slots for the GPU and see if you cant get different results?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

It's either the mobo or CPU. When I first got it, PC constantly turn-off mid game without warning.

I updated the bios and it worked better after that, but in the last day or two it would power on to a black screen.

This afternoon now it won't turn on at all. Reseated CPU and nothing. It turned on once to "Bios recovery mode" but nothing but black screen since.

My brain is melted with this.

Vega 56 in the A520M - blank screen.

Vega 56 in my old PC - works fine.

Old GPU in the A520M (also requires 2 x 8pin) - works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I would DDU every graphic driver on that A520M board and start from scratch,,its clearly a software issue
    You could also try the dual bios switch on the vega 56 and see if the other bios is working

My brain is melted with this.

Vega 56 in the A520M - blank screen.

Vega 56 in my old PC - works fine.

Old GPU in the A520M (also requires 2 x 8pin) - works fine.
    GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I would DDU every graphic driver on that A520M board and start from scratch,,its clearly a software issue
    You could also try the dual bios switch on the vega 56 and see if the other bios is working

Not working in bios means its not a driver issue, drivers sit on the OS.

I remember when pci-ex gen 4 came out, some cards had a issue with auto negotiation on some boards. I would say manually set the bios to put slot 1(assuming x16 slot) into gen 3 mode manually, then try the vega.

Then look into pysical aspects, don't know what the old gpu was, but any chance the vega is putting strain onto the slot pulling off contacts?

I've given up at this stage. I tried every setting in the bios as well using the old card and nothing. The old card is a Titan that's actually heavier than the Vega.

I found someone here with an identical problem with an X470. Really strange.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-build-wont-boot-with-vega-64-but-boots-fine-with-older-gtx-960.3423343/

It probably sounds a bit reactionary but I only ever get these headaches with AMD chipsets, and the guy above is obviously AMD as well. I had other issues with my last Ryzen 3600/B450M build that were a pain as well to get sorted (though they did get sorted).

I genuinely find that while AMD is way better value, not just in terms of price but also feature set wise, Intel tends to just work more headache free in general, notwithstanding actual hardware faults obviously.

When you are basically running the same platform for 10 years, its going to be pretty predictable in terms of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've given up at this stage. I tried every setting in the bios as well using the old card and nothing. The old card is a Titan that's actually heavier than the Vega.

I found someone here with an identical problem with an X470. Really strange.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-build-wont-boot-with-vega-64-but-boots-fine-with-older-gtx-960.3423343/

It probably sounds a bit reactionary but I only ever get these headaches with AMD chipsets, and the guy above is obviously AMD as well. I had other issues with my last Ryzen 3600/B450M build that were a pain as well to get sorted (though they did get sorted).

I genuinely find that while AMD is way better value, not just in terms of price but also feature set wise, Intel tends to just work more headache free in general, notwithstanding actual hardware faults obviously.
    I've found the opposite is true for me. with X58 it was ram slots would randomly not work (multiple boards), x79 (worked flawless), x99 it was usb ports would cause latency and general instability (multiple boards/manufacturers). I haven't had any issues really since moving too amd systems bar with threadripper I had issues with latency when a process went accross multiple ccx's but that was a design of the cpu and not a flaw.

deceit wrote: »
    x99 it was usb ports would cause latency and general instability (multiple boards/manufacturers)

That reminds me, my x99 asus board comes out of sleep at full cpu fan and you can't change until a reboot. And when you plug a device into the "fast" charge port, all USB hub devices(including wifi + bluetooth) randomly drop out 2-3 times a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That reminds me, my x99 asus board comes out of sleep at full cpu fan and you can't change until a reboot. And when you plug a device into the "fast" charge port, all USB hub devices(including wifi + bluetooth) randomly drop out 2-3 times a hour.

Aaahh.,that explains my usb issue :)
    I definitely have one plugged in there.
    Must be a usb issue as I have it on an amd board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Inviere

Something is definitely happening, there's a ton of new hits on gpu tracker for rtx 3080. Caseking seem to have gotten a drop, and the prices....while still nowhere near rrp, they're the best I've seen since I started looking around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inviere wrote: »
    Something is definitely happening, there's a ton of new hits on gpu tracker for rtx 3080. Caseking seem to have gotten a drop, and the prices....while still nowhere near rrp, they're the best I've seen since I started looking around Christmas.

1521+ for a 3080, thanks for getting my hopes up.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »

Yep, I called it a few days ago. Have a look at StockX
    https://stockx.com/nvidia-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-graphics-card-founders-edition

If you click "view all sales", you'll see that chart showing 3080's are back to mid-Feb levels. I have no intention of buying a used 3080 from StockX, but it's a strong indication that supply/demand is coming back in line.

Advertisement