Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never let me hear about kerry hospitality services again

• 11-06-2021 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭

OK, I know, a click bait heading.

I never want to hear kerry hospitality services moaning about lost customers.

Took a few day trips this week with the family. Went to Clare and today to South kerry.

When I asked the person serving ice cream cones to not handle the cone I was going to eat,all I got was abuse. From him and his boss.

I was apparently being unreasonable asking he pick up the cone with a tissue rather than his bare hands.
    The sanitiser he was adamant he had just used (he didn't) he couldn't find.

Went onto another establishment later hoping to get a meal.

Nope, don't serve kids after 5.30 from the restaurant. I was told to go around the corner to their pizza bar which had seats on the street. I couldn't even bring the pizza around to the restaurant outside seating area while my wife and I ate a meal. My kids didn't want pizza.

Anyway, took my business elsewhere and went to the local pub.

Granted seats were on the street. Beer garden was being renovated.

They had a kids menu. My son wanted a burger which was only on the adults menu. To their credit, it wasn't a problem. He got his burger and chips with all the dressings for the kids price.
    The adults had a lovely lasagne with salad and garlic bread.

And kerry hospitality businesses are moaning they have no customers. If this is how 2/3 of them treat their customers they don't deserve to be in business
    (size of the survey was 3. +/- 0)
    Anyway, rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You're probably a local :)

The good service is reserved for tourists who will spend money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I was last in Kerry for a longer holiday in 2015. Crazy prices. Near Dublin levels in Dingle and Killarney.

Went to Kenmare where it was a lot better and just headed to the Beara Peninsula for the last couple of holidays. It's just as beautiful, less arrogant, and a damn sight cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Darc19 wrote: »
    You're probably a local :)

The good service is reserved for tourists who will spend money.

I'm a blow in. Anyway. Its 2 businesses I'll never set foot in again.

I'm sure the fsai would like to visit one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭4Ad

KevRossi wrote: »
    I was last in Kerry for a longer holiday in 2015. Crazy prices. Near Dublin levels in Dingle and Killarney.

Went to Kenmare where it was a lot better and just headed to the Beara Peninsula for the last couple of holidays. It's just as beautiful, less arrogant, and a damn sight cheaper.

Killarney, when I was last there, 3 years ago was so expensive, esp for food ! They really seemed to aim for the American market...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

What were the places?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Vote with your feet, fair enough.

If your second paragraph is serious, though, act on it - for everyone's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Because they used their hands?

Hope you never see a working kitchen.

There is absolutely no issue whatsoever in using bare hands for food handling. Usually it's cleaner than the false sense of gloves.

Where there could be an issue is the twin process of using bare hands for multiple tasks such as ice cream and money, or ice-cream and raw meat.

But ice cream on its own, salads on their own, raw meat on its own - no problem whatsoever and that's in the fsai haccp food handling manual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Yerra

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Took a few day trips this week with the family. Went to Clare and today to South kerry.

When I asked the person serving ice cream cones to not handle the cone I was going to eat,all I got was abuse. From him and his boss.

I was apparently being unreasonable asking he pick up the cone with a tissue rather than his bare hands.

Nope, don't serve kids after 5.30 from the restaurant. I was told to go around the corner to their pizza bar which had seats on the street. I couldn't even bring the pizza around to the restaurant outside seating area while my wife and I ate a meal. My kids didn't want pizza.

They had a kids menu. My son wanted a burger which was only on the adults menu. To their credit, it wasn't a problem. He got his burger and chips with all the dressings for the kids price.

And kerry hospitality businesses are moaning they have no customers. If this is how 2/3 of them treat their customers they don't deserve to be in business
    Anyway, rant over.

In relation to the ice cream. Did you ask to look in the food prep area of the pub where you ate?
    Do you think they were wearing gloves cooking your kid's chips and burgers?
    Same thing.

To thine own self be true

Darc19 wrote: »
    Because they used their hands?

Hope you never see a working kitchen.

There is absolutely no issue whatsoever in using bare hands for food handling. Usually it's cleaner than the false sense of gloves.

Where there could be an issue is the twin process of using bare hands for multiple tasks such as ice cream and money, or ice-cream and raw meat.

But ice cream on its own, salads on their own, raw meat on its own - no problem whatsoever and that's in the fsai haccp food handling manual

Same person was taking the money.
    I've been in some of the countries best known kitchens. I wouldn't eat in some of their restaurants

• Advertisement

In relation to the ice cream. Did you ask to look in the food prep area of the pub where you ate?
    Do you think they were wearing gloves cooking your kid's chips and burgers?
    Same thing.

The kitchen staff didn't handle my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭touts

Killarney's approach seems to be "You know we're good because we are so expensive. If you don't like it we don't want you."

They have gotten away with rip off prices for generations. But I'm detecting real anger among people this year. If you ask someone about their holiday plans the rip off high prices seem to be main topic of conversation and Killarney in particular is singled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

aw crap, heading that direct shortly, we'll keep our wits about us. that said, we cancelled a foreign hol and are doing kerry on the cheap i.e. not a hotel stay so we're not expecting much 5* carry on. bit of an overhang of the "children are superspreaders " detected from your second example ? kids don't get hungry after half 5 now ? shocking.
    that fella handling money and cones is a dirty ****, needs a new job. it's standard practice now to use a tissue. too tight to spend on a few tissues.
    the ONLY upside of this covid19 ****e is there's better standards now to basic cleanliness, standards that were waaaay too low beforehand and those old fashioned attitues are a thing of the past, that ice cream fella would want to wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

touts wrote: »
    Killarney's approach seems to be "You know we're good because we are so expensive. If you don't like it we don't want you."

They have gotten away with rip off prices for generations. But I'm detecting real anger among people this year. If you ask someone about their holiday plans the rip off high prices seem to be main topic of conversation and Killarney in particular is singled out.

Got a night in a 4 star hotel in Killarney over the bank holiday weekend - including breakfast and 3 course dinner (no supplement for the €26 steak) for €190.

Drink prices in Killarney are the same price as my home town and less than Limerick and Cork cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

aw crap, heading that direct shortly, we'll keep our wits about us. that said, we cancelled a foreign hol and are doing kerry on the cheap i.e. not a hotel stay so we're not expecting much 5* carry on. bit of an overhang of the "children are superspreaders " detected from your second example ? kids don't get hungry after half 5 now ? shocking.
    that fella handling money and cones is a dirty ****, needs a new job. it's standard practice now to use a tissue. too tight to spend on a few tissues.
    the ONLY upside of this covid19 ****e is there's better standards now to basic cleanliness, standards that were waaaay too low beforehand and those old fashioned attitues are a thing of the past, that ice cream fella would want to wake up

One persons experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

touts wrote: »

Didn't see Killarney being mentioned in the original post :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Did a day trip there around the ring the weekend, most places have made good effort but sadly a lot of shanty town dining areas. The likes wouldn’t be seen in Calcutta.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Anyway, rant over.

That was bad, you're not even meant to handle or eat food after hand sanitiser anyway. Its 70% ethanol. So yeah he should have used a tissue if you asked as thats only being reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

BPKS wrote: »
    Got a night in a 4 star hotel in Killarney over the bank holiday weekend - including breakfast and 3 course dinner (no supplement for the €26 steak) for €190.

Drink prices in Killarney are the same price as my home town and less than Limerick and Cork cities.
    Was that for 2 people because that is very good for Killarney. Can you say the name of the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Had two nights for two in Ballygarry House outside Tralee on the B/H weekend.
    We dined well, bottle of wine each for dinner, c 30 euro a pop
    availed of the spa treatments for a fee,
    got free charging for our EV
    free bike hire
    all for euro 990.19 and 100% supporting an Irish business with Irish suppliers of food, so none of your asparagus from Peru

great staff,
    great service
    great food
    great wines
    great room
    great parking
    great gardens

bonus: TK max down the road

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

free bike hire
    all for euro 990.19 and 100% supporting an Irish business with Irish suppliers of food, so none of your asparagus from Peru

great staff,
    great service
    great food
    great wines
    great room
    great parking
    great gardens

Beautiful hotel! Its still a family run hotel, and the owner has done a great job. The Nadur Spa is fab! Big hit with locals, its so nice! :)

Hands up...there is just no way I'd pay a grand for 2 nights in a hotel, even including evening meals and the free car battery charge.

I actually thought you were going to end with a "it's outrageous"...:D

I guess it's all subjective. 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids) doing 4 nights in a Cork hotel - leisure centre, very good food - for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I lived 3 and a half years in Tralee and the only touristy stuff we got to do in west or south Kerry was day trips, apart from 1 time we stayed in Caherciveen on a Friday night. Prices for accommodation in west or south Kerry were just prohibitively expensive. I'd still love to do a weekend in Dingle or Kenmare at some stage, but you've to be prepared to pay through the nose, unless you're happy to stay at a hostel or go camping.

Someone mentioned about them aiming for the American tourists and that's exactly what I thought myself, get the cash-rich ones in, clean them out and send them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

It's what happens when places don't have to work to attract people's business, in certain places you get a level of arrogance that only comes with unlimited access to constant business where all they have to do is open the doors and a queue starts to form simply because of the amount of people flooding into the same area

• Registered Users Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

free bike hire

great staff,
    great service
    great food
    great wines
    great room
    great parking
    great gardens

Lol, a THOUSAND euro??? For 2 nights?? Talk about being ripped off! Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Lol, a THOUSAND euro??? For 2 nights?? Talk about being ripped off! Jesus Christ

But they got their EV charged for free, that's got to have knocked 1.50 at least off the cost

But they got their EV charged for free, that's got to have knocked 1.50 at least off the cost

Plus it's their money and their own business what the do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭notAMember

Jack Five wrote: »
    Plus it's their money and their own business what the do with it.

Plus it’s less than what I’ve seen for 5 star in Kerry at the moment. 1700 for two nights B&B on particular dates in some of the 5 stars.

I’ll be skipping the holiday in Ireland experience this year after phoning a few places, cannot wait to get on a plane when those vaccine passports appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Killarney has always been a rip-off venue. Every business owner there feels entitled to a millionaire’s lifestyle and they charge customers accordingly. Dingle used to be a lot nicer but I haven’t been there for a few years, I hope it hasn’t gone the way of Killarney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

The kitchen staff didn't handle my money.

Beat they scratched their balls tho

Advertisement