Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Never let me hear about kerry hospitality services again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Conor74 wrote: »
    It has to be said, for all the talk about Kenmare, Killarney and Dingle as culinary capitals, the fact that Kerry has not has a Michelin starred restaurant since the 90s is pretty striking. Of course, it's not the be all and end all, but it's certainly one pointer when it comes to fine dining and service. By contrast, Cork has 4.

To be fair...there are only about 8 counties with Michelin starred restaurants, I don't think anyone sees it as the be-all and end-all of dining

To be fair...there are only about 8 counties with Michelin starred restaurants, I don't think anyone sees it as the be-all and end-all of dining

But if you look at the counties, the ones with Michelin starred restaurants are Dublin, Galway, Cork, Clare, Kilkenny...the big holiday destinations.

It certainly is not the be all and end all of dining. It's just surprising that in the main tourist destination, while there are a few places that charge Michelin level prices, none actually make the grade.

And tbh it's been a long time since I was in any place that even came close.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

100% Agreed. But charging star prices for what's basically canteen food and banning families with kids after 5.30 is gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

John_Rambo wrote: »
    100% Agreed. But charging star prices for what's basically canteen food and banning families with kids after 5.30 is gouging.

How is being adult only for evening service gouging? It's just a house rule (that not everyone will agree with), that's been put in place.

It would actually be handy to know where it is so other people could avoid making the same mistake the OP did. But he doesnt want to name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭monseiur

It's a well known fact that Ireland in genreal and not just Kerry is one of the most expensive countries in the ''developed world'' to holiday in.
    Thanks to Covid, for the first time in over 25 years I took a break in Ireland last August and some of the prices being charged were eyewatering - I always go abroad, almost guaranteed glourious sunshine, reasonable prices on accommodation, food, car hire, bike hire etc. Can't wait for international travel to open up again.
    In the meantime we're stuck with staycation, so I'd recommend, instead of concentrating on Kerry which is marketed to an inch of it's life, folk should consider places like Mayo, Sligo and Donegal etc. they are hidden treasures, all on the wild Atlantic way.
    The scenery is as good / better than Kerry, prices more reasonable and your custom is more appreciated.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    How is being adult only for evening service gouging?

I presume it's adults only to optimise income. As in, they have no issue with kids by day. But at night, when they want to sell the wines and more expensive meals, kids become a waste of a seat that could be generating more money.

I'm not saying it's wrong, or gouging, but on the other hand a family with kids might be a little frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

As someone from Kerry I don’t see what people see in most of the big Kerry destinations (Killarney , kenmare especially)
    As someone else said way more bang for buck to be found in the likes of Sligo, Mayo and Donegal with scenery to match
    Golf in particular in Kerry is an absolute rip off . I know it’s because they only care about the yanks

How is being adult only for evening service gouging?

Kids eat less and don't drink alcohol. There's no other reason unless they're living in the 50's in Ireland when dining out was such a thing that kids couldn't possibly be seen!

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    As someone from Kerry I don’t see what people see in most of the big Kerry destinations (Killarney , kenmare especially)

I think it's MILES ahead in scenery. The Dingle, Iveragh and Beara Peninsulas, and Killarney, are just stunning. Sligo is pretty, West Mayo is nice etc. But for me, they really don't come near Kerry (and West Cork).

But I agree that the prices charged in a lot of places, hotels and restaurants, are OTT, and the hospitality sector lacking in certain areas - and kid friendly restaurants is one of them. Though having said that, it's a common enough thing in tourist destinations - I find kid friendly restaurants are often better in towns where there is little or no tourist industry.

Kids eat less and don't drink alcohol. There's no other reason unless they're living in the 50's in Ireland when dining out was such a thing that kids couldn't possibly be seen!

Ok. I still dont think its gouging. It's just a house rule. And a good one imo.

• Advertisement

It's a good for gouging. Not good for families on holiday. Most kids are used to restaurants now (pre covid) they'd be dining out weekly, they know how to behave. No excuse other than gouging.

It's a good for gouging. Not good for families on holiday. Most kids are used to restaurants now (pre covid) they'd be dining out weekly, they know how to behave. No excuse other than gouging.

Well, we disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

I used stay in Jurys in Dublin quite a lot...the prices in the summer months for 1 night were approx €260 in Parnell Street, & €300 at Christchurch.
    Just checked there...in July-August Christchurch is €252 for 3 nights

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You dont see this in Italy or Spain, people dont dine until 8 or 9 pm and their kids somehow dont run around like wild animals.
    Wonder why that is??

You dont see this in Italy or Spain, people dont dine until 8 or 9 pm and their kids somehow dont run around like wild animals.
    Wonder why that is??

I think people are focusing on the house rule of one place too much. There are plenty of other places to go and eat, as the OP found because his son got the burger with all the trimmings that he wanted and at kids prices off an adult menu. It would seem like a pretty good experience.

I genuinely dont see the issue with 1 place wanting evening service to be adult only. It's not like it's a countywide rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It has to be said, for all the talk about Kenmare, Killarney and Dingle as culinary capitals, the fact that Kerry has not has a Michelin starred restaurant since the 90s is pretty striking. Of course, it's not the be all and end all, but it's certainly one pointer when it comes to fine dining and service. By contrast, Cork has 4.

Had to laugh at this.

People here complaining about high prices in Kerry are now bemoaning the fact that there are no restaurants in Kerry where you won't get much change out of €300 for a meal for two.

BPKS wrote: »
    Had to laugh at this.

People here complaining about high prices in Kerry are now bemoaning the fact that there are no restaurants in Kerry where you won't get much change out of €300 for a meal for two.

No, you misunderstood. People are complaining about prices in Kerry that are comparable to fine dining experiences elsewhere.

BPKS wrote: »
    Had to laugh at this.

Was more referring to value and pricing here in Kerry.

In fact, I have paid less at Michelin starred restaurants than I've paid for meals in Kerry (such as the one at Sheen Falls) that were nowhere near as good, either for food or service. That's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Killarney has always been a rip-off venue. Every business owner there feels entitled to a millionaire’s lifestyle and they charge customers accordingly. Dingle used to be a lot nicer but I haven’t been there for a few years, I hope it hasn’t gone the way of Killarney.

Dingle went that way a long time ago. Used to spend a lot of time down there, so let my other half talk me into stopping in Dingle for a couple of nights few months pre Covid, Benners was fine and reasonable, like the old feel of it.

Tried a few of the restaurants down the front. Not a very pleasant experience, absolute rip off, bad attitude/very poor service and poor to average food.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Try to save my money and go away to Spain or Portugal rather than holiday in Ireland
    Find it expensive and unless you drink, very boring

would prefer to stay in my back garden than holiday in Kerry.

• Advertisement

wpd wrote: »
    Try to save my money and go away to Spain or Portugal rather than holiday in Ireland

What do you do in Spain and Portugal that makes it so exciting?

We holiday in Ireland every year and take a big holiday every 2 or 3 years so we dont do the sun holidays. Neither of us are drinkers and I've never been bored. We go west coast, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Kerry. Hiking, kayaking, swimming, rock climbing.

We were in Clare 2 weeks ago, went for a drink with the family on the day we arrived. Apart from that we didnt even consider the pub or booze.

There is so much to do on holiday in Ireland it is impossible to call it boring.

Ah come on, no ones back garden offers what Kerry offers when it comes to Atlantic coastal fun, national parklands, peninsulas, inlets, mountain ranges, wildlife etc... I've been going there for decades and am still finding secrets.

Eating out is very expensive compared to where I live in Dublin. Not sure what you mean by "unless you drink"... the drink is no cheaper in Kerry.

Find it expensive and unless you drink, very boring...

Was in Spain once. Lots of drink. And pretty boring. Just days spent hanging around pools and overcrowded beaches really. But I'm not into the sun and sand thing.

Was in Spain once. Lots of drink. And pretty boring. Just days spent hanging around pools and overcrowded beaches really. But I'm not into the sun and sand thing.

Saying Spain is just beaches is like saying all of Ireland is rip off jarvey men.
    The Spanish dont drink like Irish or Brits, maybe you were hanging out with the wrong crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'd agree with the OP. Kerry is one of those places in Ireland that's high on its own supply. Yes it's beautiful physically in parts, but the amount of tourists it attracts in peak season means a lot of service industry providers think they can shovel up any old sh*te and the thicko tourists will keep coming back for more.

A lot of people on the Dingle peninsula as well act like goons also. Many of them have this zany backwoodsman character in a flat cap they put on - particularly young people in pubs. Being from the barse of Kerry isn't a substitute for a personality lads, you can stop dancing on the tables, there's no Americans looking. I felt like I was in some sort of Healy Rae-designed Potemkin village for the benefit of North American tourists at some stages.

Edit: Only just copped I'm posting in the Kerry forum. Fully expect a filleting! Don't worry lads, I'm able for it!

Saying Spain is just beaches is like saying all of Ireland is rip off jarvey men.

Summer holidays in resorts and beaches is what the Spanish tourist trade was built on and is the biggest sector in Spanish tourism.

20 million British and Irish tourists head there every year and they ain't all piling into the Sagrada Familia or hanging round the Alhambra.

The jarveys are one element of tourism in one Irish town. It's not really comparable at all..

Summer holidays in resorts and beaches is what the Spanish tourist trade was built on and is the biggest sector in Spanish tourism.

20 million British and Irish tourists head there every year and they ain't all piling into the Sagrada Familia or hanging round the Alhambra.

The jarveys are one element of tourism in one Irish town. It's not really comparable at all..

Ok pedant. Guinness Storehouse, whatever, I'm not going googling stats for you. I dont care.
    Weird that you dont like the sun and sea deal yet went on a sun and sea holiday...what did you expect?

Ok pedant. Guinness Storehouse, whatever, I'm not going googling stats for you. I dont care.
    Weird that you dont like the sun and sea deal yet went on a sun and sea holiday...what did you expect?

I was hoping for some bit of culture, the odd museum, things to see and do. Apart from a day in Barcelona it was grim. And ugly, a procession of seaside towns with apartments full of boozed up Brits and Irish in sports shirts drinking. It was cheap enough, I just never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Absolute balderdash.

• Advertisement

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Absolute balderdash.

This is the case with my kids, where I'm from & my peers kids. Maybe where you're from kids can't behave themselves, or maybe it's the type of eatery you're frequenting. :p

Advertisement