Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Both true to an extent.
    Entertainment, panel shows and politics light (Mash Report, HIGNFY stuff) have a clear left bias without any real attempt to hide it.
    Politics & News have a clear right bias but are more subtle about it.

People look to BBC News and current affairs for their political information though. They don't look to comedy or satire. Also, the people most likely to vote (and vote Tory) are not even watching any of those satire shows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I agree.
    But I think going from FPTP to full STV would have been a step too far. I saw AV as kind of an acceptable halfway house on the way to STV.
    It was done as a step change for the Irish Free State , Scotland, Wales , Northern Ireland and for the EU elections.

It would have been a step too far for politicians though.

Every explanation of AV failed to mention that existing safe seats would remain unchanged and would probably change results in marginals or three way splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Strazdas wrote: »
    People look to BBC News and current affairs for their political information though. They don't look to comedy or satire. Also, the people most likely to vote (and vote Tory) are not even watching any of those satire shows.

What makes you think that. They have some of the highest rated comedy in the UK. Recently they have had huge hits with the Waller Bridge stuff for instance. I love how you can just flat out say an entire nation don't go to the BBC for comedy.

And ya the Tory voters are not watching that satire but what has that got to do with anything

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PommieBast wrote: »
    Some of this has been going on since the 1990s. As for BBC News it started going rapidly downhill after the Hutton enquiry.
    Tories are trying to emasculate the BBC , look at the whole OAP licence fee thing. There's history too given how Granada (Death on the Rock) didn't get renewed. ITN changed to ITV and the individual regions got subsumed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/czpxkvk2qxpt/the-guardian
    At the beginning of next year the government is due to start a midterm review of the charter, a “health check”, specifically focusing on governance and regulatory arrangements.

Tories are trying to emasculate the BBC , look at the whole OAP licence fee thing. There's history too given how Granada (Death on the Rock) didn't get renewed. ITN changed to ITV and the individual regions got subsumed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/czpxkvk2qxpt/the-guardian

The Tories were very quick to jump on the reform angle when the Bashir stuff came out. A lot of that reform will probably have nothing to do with him or what he done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It was done as a step change for the Irish Free State , Scotland, Wales , Northern Ireland and for the EU elections.

It would have been a step too far for politicians though.

Every explanation of AV failed to mention that existing safe seats would remain unchanged and would probably change results in marginals or three way splits.

AV was a rubbish system that appeared to give voters two votes.

The Scottish system is a fudge to give less popular parties more seats, but those extra seats are chosen by the party on a list system - so back to party control.

The STV system we have is multiple seat, so parties field more candidates if they think they can get more than one seat. This means the voters choose within the party candidates so the party then looses control to the voter - that is what the parties hate most. They have a special meaning of the word democracy.

Three seater multi-seat constituencies would give the best result - given that by combining three constituencies in groups would give the chance for the lesser parties to share representation, and for the voters to choose their MP rather than the aged party committee members - who might number as few as 25. It also allows single issue candidates to get elected.

Counting the votes is the issue, but by scanning the ballot papers, it can be largely automated - but needing proper scrutiny in that case. The USA generally count every vote even when the result is known - even if there is an occasional dissenter to the declared result.

I can only see this coming about if there is a blatant fraud discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The British Politics/News Media Venn Diagram is going to receive a massive shake up over the next few months starting in the next few weeks when GB News starts broadcasting.

While they haven't declared a political allegiance, their chairman is Andrew Neil formerly of the BBC and still involved with The Spectator. They have said that they are looking to mimic the format of US broadcasters including Fox and MSNBC with shows centered around strong presenters so I expect we will see the emergence of some highly opinionated opinion formers after a period. British News media is supposed to maintain impartiality under the governance of Ofcom so it will be interesting to see if this is the case. Neil has said that he is going to have a section on his show dedicated to 'Wokewatch' which I'm sure will arouse the interests (figuratively and literally) of many Boards users who seem to have a keen interest in such topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The British Politics/News Media Venn Diagram is going to receive a massive shake up over the next few months starting in the next few weeks when GB News starts broadcasting.

While they haven't declared a political allegiance, their chairman is Andrew Neil formerly of the BBC and still involved with The Spectator. They have said that they are looking to mimic the format of US broadcasters including Fox and MSNBC with shows centered around strong presenters so I expect we will see the emergence of some highly opinionated opinion formers after a period. British News media is supposed to maintain impartiality under the governance of Ofcom so it will be interesting to see if this is the case. Neil has said that he is going to have a section on his show dedicated to 'Wokewatch' which I'm sure will arouse the interests (figuratively and literally) of many Boards users who seem to have a keen interest in such topics.

I expect it to be the TV version of The Telegraph. Lots of Tory old boys pontificating.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

GB News is going to be anything but impartial.

One of the leading people behind it, Andrew Cole has posted this on LinkedIn: “GB News: Over time we will conduct special enquiries to expose those who act in the worst interests of the UK.

“We will also drive critical campaigns: one could be calling for a public enquiry into certain MPs, members of the Lords and civil servants who acted against the UK and in favour of a foreign entity (the EU) during the Brexit years.

“Many of our target audience wish to see this enquiry happen.”

Notice how he presents his opinion as a fact. I have no doubt that there will be a lot of this to come. I don't object to anyone airing the view that he has, even if I disagree with it and think it's wrong, but this kind of stuff is very much the kind of nonsense you'd expect to see in America, not the UK.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What makes you think that. They have some of the highest rated comedy in the UK. Recently they have had huge hits with the Waller Bridge stuff for instance. I love how you can just flat out say an entire nation don't go to the BBC for comedy.

And ya the Tory voters are not watching that satire but what has that got to do with anything

Saying that BBC entertainment or comedy or satire is left leaning or anti Brexit is pretty meaningless, as it scarcely impacts at all on the Tory vote.

The fact that BBC News and current affairs is leaning towards the Brexiteers is a far more dangerous state of affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭PommieBast

British News media is supposed to maintain impartiality under the governance of Ofcom so it will be interesting to see if this is the case.
    The Ofcom with Paul Dacre at the helm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hilarious story. The committee set up to oversee the appointment advises that Dacre is not fit for the role so instead of looking at the alternatives they disband the committee and restart the process, inviting Dacre to reapply for the job. They're surely just taking the p!ss at this stage.

devnull wrote: »

One of the leading people behind it, Andrew Cole has posted this on LinkedIn: “GB News: Over time we will conduct special enquiries to expose those who act in the worst interests of the UK.

We will also drive critical campaigns: one could be calling for a public enquiry into certain MPs, members of the Lords and civil servants who acted against the UK and in favour of a foreign entity (the EU) during the Brexit years.

Notice how he presents his opinion as a fact. I have no doubt that there will be a lot of this to come. I don't object to anyone airing the view that he has, even if I disagree with it and think it's wrong, but this kind of stuff is very much the kind of nonsense you'd expect to see in America, not the UK.

This traitors narrative is a very dangerous thing and leads down a path that ends in things like people storming Capitol Hill with weapons, nooses and handcuffs or nutters shooting MPs like Jo Cox

“We will also drive critical campaigns: one could be calling for a public enquiry into certain MPs, members of the Lords and civil servants who acted against the UK and in favour of a foreign entity (the EU) during the Brexit years.

Said 'foreign entity' being far more democratic and accountable than the authoritarian regime these guys intend propping up.

I really think the UK is in a dangerous position in terms of what way it's electorate are about to be manipulated over the next few years.
    GB News will definitely attract those of a particular mindset and I expect there are going to be a significant number of discussions on topics such as the efficiency of the NHS, the role of the BBC and whether or not it warrants having a license fee propping it up, the argument against Scotland voting to leave in a future referendum will get it's fair share of attention and a regular helping of lambasting the EU, Labour, Climate activists, BLM, and all these pesky progressive ideals that have gotten in the way for so long.

They'll have no shortage of candidates to appear on the various shows and I expect people like JHB, Kate Andrews, Farage, Tom Harwood, Brendan O'Neil and others will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of being invited on to speak to even more agreeable hosts than they've been used to in some circles.

I don't know if anyone saw a clip from Talk Radio recently where two guests, along with the host, gleefully awarded Femi Oluwole the title of 'Plank of the week' for having the gall to speak out against Brexiteers continued insistence that the problems the UK is experiencing is the fault of the EU or remainers or whoever. It was quite unsettling to see them lambast him without him being there to defend himself or without them, even for a second, providing a counter point to his argument.

As someone else pointed out, Paul Dacre has been chosen to lead OfCom so as to rebut any calls that will come saying that GB News or other broadcasters who try to chase after their audience are being biased.
    It all feels quite sinister and to use the analogy often aimed at Democrats in the US where they are accused of bringing a knife to a gunfight with the GOP, Labour in the UK look like they are arming themselves with water pistols and nerf guns against opponents in fighter jets and attack helicopters.

We've already seen how the Tories have acted with Boris's flat upgrade, contracts to friends of cabinet ministers, setting up a review in to how Covid was handled etc, once there is a very friendly high profile national broadcaster in place to help massage how the public hears about this, they could really lose the run of themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said it in a Current Affairs thread a while back, but I find it darkly amusing that in a classic case of accidental prescience, the 2005 film V For Vendetta managed to predict a dystopian Britain, becoming more actual than many might stomach; in this specific instance, the film's blatantly propagandist British News Network, headed by a ranting demagogue that - for all intents and purposes - sounds exactly what we're going to see with "GB News". And if I remember, the film posited a Britain taken over by fascists in the wake of a terrible pandemic, so ... yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

I really think the UK is in a dangerous position in terms of what way it's electorate are about to be manipulated over the next few years.
    GB News will definitely attract those of a particular mindset and I expect there are going to be a significant number of discussions on topics such as the efficiency of the NHS, the role of the BBC and whether or not it warrants having a license fee propping it up, the argument against Scotland voting to leave in a future referendum will get it's fair share of attention and a regular helping of lambasting the EU, Labour, Climate activists, BLM, and all these pesky progressive ideals that have gotten in the way for so long.

They'll have no shortage of candidates to appear on the various shows and I expect people like JHB, Kate Andrews, Farage, Tom Harwood, Brendan O'Neil and others will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of being invited on to speak to even more agreeable hosts than they've been used to in some circles.

I don't know if anyone saw a clip from Talk Radio recently where two guests, along with the host, gleefully awarded Femi Oluwole the title of 'Plank of the week' for having the gall to speak out against Brexiteers continued insistence that the problems the UK is experiencing is the fault of the EU or remainers or whoever. It was quite unsettling to see them lambast him without him being there to defend himself or without them, even for a second, providing a counter point to his argument.

As someone else pointed out, Paul Dacre has been chosen to lead OfCom so as to rebut any calls that will come saying that GB News or other broadcasters who try to chase after their audience are being biased.
    It all feels quite sinister and to use the analogy often aimed at Democrats in the US where they are accused of bringing a knife to a gunfight with the GOP, Labour in the UK look like they are arming themselves with water pistols and nerf guns against opponents in fighter jets and attack helicopters.

We've already seen how the Tories have acted with Boris's flat upgrade, contracts to friends of cabinet ministers, setting up a review in to how Covid was handled etc, once there is a very friendly high profile national broadcaster in place to help massage how the public hears about this, they could really lose the run of themselves.

I do think UK society as a whole is much more progressive than their media landscape and their political class. If you look at voter demographics, "young" people, which means pretty much anyone under 50, are much more less likely to vote Tory, as is anyone with an education. But the combination of the utterly undemocratic FPTP voting system, safe seats, and voter turn out mean that their voice is just not heard as much.

This is a contrast to the US where there are large cohorts of very hardline young republicans (not saying the UK doesn't have its Tommy Robinson types but they're not as big a factor)

I think this is mainly due to the prevalence of Fox News where the UK doesn't have anything quite that bad on TV and it's mostly the newspapers with their older demographic that are utterly toxic.

I do wonder what the current concerted effort from the Tories to skew the media landscape even further to the right would achieve in taking the UK down that path.

quokula wrote: »
    I do think UK society as a whole is much more progressive than their media landscape and their political class. If you look at voter demographics, "young" people, which means pretty much anyone under 50, are much more less likely to vote Tory, as is anyone with an education. But the combination of the utterly undemocratic FPTP voting system, safe seats, and voter turn out mean that their voice is just not heard as much.

This is a contrast to the US where there are large cohorts of very hardline young republicans (not saying the UK doesn't have its Tommy Robinson types but they're not as big a factor)

I think this is mainly due to the prevalence of Fox News where the UK doesn't have anything quite that bad on TV and it's mostly the newspapers with their older demographic that are utterly toxic.

I do wonder what the current concerted effort from the Tories to skew the media landscape even further to the right would achieve in taking the UK down that path.

How do these progressive and liberal under 50s remove Johnson and the Tories from power though? The Brexiteers and their numerous corrupt media backers are trying to rig the political system so that the Tories remain in power for decades.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How do these progressive and liberal under 50s remove Johnson and the Tories from power though? The Brexiteers and their numerous corrupt media backers are trying to rig the political system so that the Tories remain in power for decades.

You would have thought Thatcher had it all sown up - but she was ousted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They could vote for starters. There'd have been no tuition fee increase if students actually bothered to vote.

By her own party, not the masses. It wasn't until 1997 that the Conservatives were ousted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

But even she didn't have a deeply corrupt media trying to keep her in power. Also, the Conservative Party itself is a very different beast to the 1980s. The people with ability have been hounded out and replaced by Johnson and his Cabinet of flunkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Keep an eye on the BBC. For the past six months, The Telegraph has had at least three articles every week attacking the BBC. The stage is being set for an 'overhaul'.

quokula wrote: »

In relation to the first bit in bold, the fact that many think UK society is more progressive than it's political class is the problem when you see how in spite of this, they have ended up outside Europe and a completely incapable PM admitting that he'd rather bodies pile up on the street rather than put the country in to another lockdown. And he has a massive 80 seat majority in parliament! :eek:

In relation to the second bit in bold. It could well do from June 13th.
    And I don't think that this has happened by accident or because it is purely a commercial venture. A lot of the key players have strong political views and allegiances and it has been said by one of them that Fox News (in structure at least) is a template they are looking to use.
    That will help them project an image that most of the country think a particular way irrespective of the reality of that. Which is exactly what Fox News does.

Bear in mind, while many of us might have watched the BBC over the last few years and wondered how come Laura Kuennsberg seems favourable towards Johnson or how come Andrew Marr isn't pushing back when someone says something false on Sunday morning, many of a conservative mindset already think the BBC is too hard on them and not inline with the ideals of the empire out of which it emerged.
    The branding of GB News is no accident.

Keep an eye on the BBC. For the past six months, The Telegraph has had at least three articles every week attacking the BBC. The stage is being set for an 'overhaul'.

And as David Mitchell said on HIGNFY, it'll likely be blamed on Martin Bashir and that situation used to remould it entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

pixelburp wrote: »
    I said it in a Current Affairs thread a while back, but I find it darkly amusing that in a classic case of accidental prescience, the 2005 film V For Vendetta managed to predict a dystopian Britain, becoming more actual than many might stomach; in this specific instance, the film's blatantly propagandist British News Network, headed by a ranting demagogue that - for all intents and purposes - sounds exactly what we're going to see with "GB News". And if I remember, the film posited a Britain taken over by fascists in the wake of a terrible pandemic, so ... yeah.

V for Vendetta was a polemic against Fascism/Authoritarianism penned [as a graphic novel] in response to the excesses of Thatcherism back in the 1980s. That it is just as relevant now as in the 1980s (even more so in some respects) is appalling.

• Administrators Posts: 53,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-57436035

"The alliance between the US and the UK should be known as the "indestructible relationship", Boris Johnson has told the BBC after meeting US President Joe Biden for the first time."

There is a real whiff of desperation off this stuff. It appears the UK is using this opportunity to do some boot licking .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think he was saying the "special relationship" description made the UK look the weaker of the two.

No matter what way he spins it with this "indestructible relationship" they will always be the weaker of the two.

Or is he trying to send a veiled dig at the EU to say the US will be backing the UK? :rolleyes:

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I think he was saying the "special relationship" description made the UK look the weaker of the two.

No matter what way he spins it with this "indestructible relationship" they will always be the weaker of the two.

Or is he trying to send a veiled dig at the EU to say the US will be backing the UK? :rolleyes:

They will try and probably succeed in spinning it in UK media but I'm pretty sure the rest of the world thinks Biden was pretty clear in wanting Johnson to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

it really is odd how the media are almost fawning over how well Johnson is doing. There has never been any question about how good company he is, he will always get on and be the star in most situations.

The problmem is that he fails on details, on preparation and an follow through.

Great for the dinner circuit, hence why is is so good at elections. Where is mostly a brief encounter, a speech, and photo op. Unlike TM he is actually really good in those situations.

But they seemed completely amazed at this. That Biden and Johnson would appear to be getting on in front of the cameras? What did they expect? That Bien woud start calling him out?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

dogbert27 wrote: »

He's trying to win favour with Biden and he's trying to make the EU second guess what has gone on behind the scenes.

They've gone all in on it. Photos of Mrs Biden and Mrs Johnson playing on the beach with his kid etc.

IMO it makes him look incredibly weak.

Advertisement