Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

Tradnuts wrote: »
    Hi Championc.
    I had the installer here today and he was also on the phone to the Solis support guy.
    The inverter apparently can handle 6.5kw. There was no mention of the voltage. The Solis guy said he had not heard of my firmware version 3000ff and would update it.
    Installer checked most of the wires and they all seemed ok.
    He is certain that it’s not oversized.
    16 340 panels south and 4 340 panels west.

For me. It’s seems like too much of a coincidence that it was the best solar day of the year , last Sunday, at around midday that this started.
    Surely that can’t be just a coincidence??
    Thanks.

Assuming you use the Solarman or Solis app, what was recorded ? There is a huge amount of data collected. Where the coloured dots are about the generation graph on the app, this section can be scrolled left and right to reveal loads more types of data ?

I just found a spec online which appears to suggest that the MQQT Input Voltage range is 100-500v and a Max DC voltage of 600v. With 16 panels at about 40 VOC per panel, that shoots you we'll over 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Turd of a start to June, just 15kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Good start to June for me with 30kwh generated from my SSE facing 4.76kw array.

My PHEV and EV have been driving on pretty much solar power alone for the last month or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

championc wrote: »
    Assuming you use the Solarman or Solis app, what was recorded ? There is a huge amount of data collected. Where the coloured dots are about the generation graph on the app, this section can be scrolled left and right to reveal loads more types of data ?

I just found a spec online which appears to suggest that the MQQT Input Voltage range is 100-500v and a Max DC voltage of 600v. With 16 panels at about 40 VOC per panel, that shoots you we'll over 600.

Pretty sure 13 or 14 panels is max you can put on a string, at least that's according to the official Solis designer tool http://design.soliscloud.com/login

I know because I asked them when I put in my Solis 6kw inverter

Can't remember where I got the calculations, but I was working on the assumption that 14 or 15 was the max, although my panels are 310w.

I'm aiming to increase the garage from 9 to 14 later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Can't remember where I got the calculations, but I was working on the assumption that 14 or 15 was the max, although my panels are 310w.

I'm aiming to increase the garage from 9 to 14 later this year.

Depends on the voltage of the panels,

12 is the max number of the longi 350-375 panels.

With the 310/320's the voltage is lower and you can fit more.

Simple way to confirm, use the Solis designer, you can pick the inverter and your panels it will tell you 100% if you're going into the red or not.
    14 was max for me for the 335w qcells G9

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread with my issues.
    The installer was out the other day, he couldn't find anything that might cause the issue. Solis updated the firmware.
    Today, sunny, it happened again.
    Even though people on here are suggesting it might be an oversized setup that is causing the issue, the installer insists not. Solis agrees with him.
    To be fair, I have 9 panels (340w) facing south on 1 string and the other string has 7 south and 4 west.
    So each string shouldn't be too much to handle.
    Maybe is because combined I have 16 facing south?
    It doesn't always happen at high output times either. Sometimes it happens at 2 or 3 kw, though usually, it is over 5kw when it happens. Both the installer and Solis agree that it's not oversized.
    I don't know what to think now. It's giving the error of 'Grid interference protection', and grid over frequency.
    The system stays off for about 5 mins, and then gets going again.
    This happened about 5 times today, but this last time it hasn't restarted and has been off for about 4 hours now.

I've contacted the installer again today to let him know that there is still an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I was on track for a record day yesterday when the system shut down.

The PV/Inverter just dropped and stopped supplying power around midday.
    I went to the inverter and a warning light was on. The error is was displaying was 'Voltage over current'. It's a Solis hybrid 5kw. But I have 6.8kw array.
    I restarted the inverter but that didn't help.
    Sorry if I'm derailing this thread with my issues.
    The installer was out the other day, he couldn't find anything that might cause the issue. Solis updated the firmware.
    Today, sunny, it happened again.
    It doesn't always happen at high output times either. Sometimes it happens at 2 or 3 kw, though usually, it is over 5kw when it happens. Both the installer and Solis agree that it's not oversized.
    I don't know what to think now. It's giving the error of 'Grid interference protection', and grid over frequency.
    The system stays off for about 5 mins, and then gets going again.
    This happened about 5 times today, but this last time it hasn't restarted and has been off for about 4 hours now.

I've contacted the installer again today to let him know that there is still an issue.

Maybe its not the panel/inverter voltage per se but your grid voltage being high which is causing the inverter to have to go beyond its design limit to compensate.... isnt that 250V or something?

Have you checked your grid voltage? Maybe its Eirgrid you need to be calling?

Two examples here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058171468
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117005125

Then it's a grid issue, there's a thread a while back, someone else had it and got the esb out and they done something to fix it.(voltage was > 253v)

Sometimes they can't, do anything though

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, I have a read of these threads.
    I'll need to get into the logs and check the grid voltage. Every time I've checked this it's been around 240V.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'll need to get into the logs and check the grid voltage. Every time I've checked this it's been around 240V.

That ominous... 240V could very easily become 245-250V and then your inverter is going to be in trouble to compensate for that, taking it over 250V.

Do you have anything to just check the voltage on a standard house socket? Ideally check it when the inverter goes offline.

The solis data logger records the ac voltage (it's the one marked T/W/C

It should be available in the app when you go into the device and then history

KCross wrote: »
    That ominous... 240V could very easily become 245-250V and then your inverter is going to be in trouble to compensate for that, taking it over 250V.

Do you have anything to just check the voltage on a standard house socket? Ideally check it when the inverter goes offline.

I'm just looking at the logs now.
    AC voltage is always between 235 and 240 according to the inverter.
    Then today at 10.45am it hits ~245V and reaches a high of 248V for approx 15 mins and then cuts out.
    That's a bit high alright, isn't it? I've no experience with electricity.

Once the solar is off, the AC immediately returns to ~233V.

Even though people on here are suggesting it might be an oversized setup that is causing the issue, the installer insists not. Solis agrees with him.
    To be fair, I have 9 panels (340w) facing south on 1 string and the other string has 7 south and 4 west.
    So each string shouldn't be too much to handle.
    Maybe is because combined I have 16 facing south?

So you only told us half the story - so you have 9 and 11, which is a completely different matter, and absolutely fine

First non crap day of the month today.

1st - 14.7
    2nd - 19.3
    3rd - 31.3

47.3kw new best :D and also 32kw exported record :(
    Is it too much to ask for one single day without clouds to see the full potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Philippe14

With 34, 19, 28, the first 3 days of the month have not been too bad. (1.44NE, 4.32SE in Louth).

The miserable pish of June continues. Currently getting 410w.

1st - 14.3
    2nd - 19.3
    3rd - 31.3
    4th - 19.1
    5th - 9.1
    6th - 35.8
    7th - 29.4
    8th - 17.4
    9th - 3.4 (by midday)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's bad alright, made worse when compared to a great May

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Not too bad, the 3rd was the highest day so far (including May)

1 - 41
    2 - 17
    3 - 48
    4 - 36.5
    5 - 14.2
    6 - 26
    7 - 43
    8 - 24.3
    9 - 20 so far

61% - 39% Usage - Export

I'll be lucky to crack 10kWh today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Awful these past two days and due another tomorrow. In better news, ESB had scheduled downtime for works today, power went off at 10am, 5 seconds later I had switched the changeover to EPS and like magic it was as if the grid was operating normally. Used everything in the house normally for 5 hours until the grid came back online, barely dented the battery. Luxury feature today, but lifesaver in the inevitable once in 3 years winter storm.

To be honest (and possibly unfortunately) May last year was also spectacular, and all 3 of June, July and August were all lower than May, so there's every possibility of history repeating itself

Totals so far:
    Month |2020 |2021
    January | 75kWh | 56.14kWh
    February | 121.55kWh |142.04kWh
    March | 200.59kWh |269.23kWh
    April | 279.11kWh |373.69kWh
    May | 396.34kWh |430.96kWh
    June | 264.13kWh |
    July | 261.88kWh |
    August | 254.10kWh |
    September | 268.62kWh |
    October | 151.43kWh |
    November | 90.4kWh |
    December | 56.47kWh |
    Total | 2.41mWh | 1.28mWh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The miserable pish of June continues. Currently getting 410w.

1st - 14.3
    2nd - 19.3
    3rd - 31.3
    4th - 19.1
    5th - 9.1
    6th - 35.8
    7th - 29.4
    8th - 17.4
    9th - 3.4 (by midday)

How large is your system?

mp3guy wrote: »
    Awful these past two days and due another tomorrow. In better news, ESB had scheduled downtime for works today, power went off at 10am, 5 seconds later I had switched the changeover to EPS and like magic it was as if the grid was operating normally. Used everything in the house normally for 5 hours until the grid came back online, barely dented the battery. Luxury feature today, but lifesaver in the inevitable once in 3 years winter storm.

On the eps supply, is it only the hybrid inverter that is running?

graememk wrote: »
    On the eps supply, is it only the hybrid inverter that is running?

It is yes, it uses immediate PV power on the strings its connected to plus whatever is in the battery (and charges battery). So I'm limited to 5kW which is grand for everything except electric shower and/or running everything in the kitchen at once.

mp3guy wrote: »
    It is yes, it uses immediate PV power on the strings its connected to plus whatever is in the battery (and charges battery). So I'm limited to 5kW which is grand for everything except electric shower and/or running everything in the kitchen at once.

Oh, Another Q, just out of curiosity, is 5kw the max you can pull from the hybrid inverter?

For example.. your generating 4kw of solar on that inverter.
    your using the 4 kw, be it ovens, whatever.

If you put on a 3kw kettle will the battery supply 1 kw to make up to the 5kw and import 2 kw from the grid or will you be able to pull 4kw from solar and then another 3kw from the batteries? (for a total of 7)

(lets just ignore your other inverter and panels for now)

graememk wrote: »
    Oh, Another Q, just out of curiosity, is 5kw the max you can pull from the hybrid inverter?

For example.. your generating 4kw of solar on that inverter.
    your using the 4 kw, be it ovens, whatever.

If you put on a 3kw kettle will the battery supply 1 kw to make up to the 5kw and import 2 kw from the grid or will you be able to pull 4kw from solar and then another 3kw from the batteries? (for a total of 7)

(lets just ignore your other inverter and panels for now)

Former, 5kW is the total max, be it from PV or batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭idc

Comparing first 8 days of June (168.9 kWh) to start of May (164.3 kWh). Must be better sun where i am :)
    Once I cover my usage I'm pretty happy, so far this month the highest import from grid is 1.12kWh one day. in total so far only 3.83 kWh.

1st 29.7
    2nd 14.9
    3rd 29
    4th 20.9
    5th 14.5
    6th 20.2
    7th 24
    8th 15.7

Advertisement