Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Passed my prediction for the month yesterday.

Predicted total was 709.9kWh and yesterday's 28.4 took me to a total of 711.3kWh for May, with 2 days to spare including today which is on course to hit 35-40 (11.2 so far and clear blue skies).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

remoteboy wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding stupid, how do the numbers work on this? If a system is rated at 4kwp is there a formula to calculate expected kWh?

Look at the figures in this thread and in the monthly stats threads. That will give you real world figures.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

remoteboy wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding stupid, how do the numbers work on this? If a system is rated at 4kwp is there a formula to calculate expected kWh?

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

That resource is fairly accurate, you can put all the details in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Best day of the year here in Dublin. 34kWh and I still have 33% of the small 2.4 battery left. Car soaked up a lot and only 3 kWh was exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

37kwh yesterday (6.4kWp), a record for me since installing last November. Could have broken 40kwh if it werent for a pesky cloud that hung around for an hour at midday, in anotherwise perfect blue sky day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

I was on track for a record day yesterday when the system shut down.

The PV/Inverter just dropped and stopped supplying power around midday.
    I went to the inverter and a warning light was on. The error is was displaying was 'Voltage over current'. It's a Solis hybrid 5kw. But I have 6.8kw array.
    I restarted the inverter but that didn't help.

Would it have cut out if it was generating too much voltage?
    It came back on its self around 8 pm once the sun went behind the neighbour's house.
    Any advice would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I'd say go through your logs on the app and check inverter temperature and the voltage values, check those around the time it stopped.
    See if there's any high values there.
    Other than that you can always log a support ticket with Solis and have them investigate and hopefully you don't get a rude AF answer like I did: ​Please limit the calls and emails to us. We are extremely busy.

Oh I'm sorry silly me thinking the support team's sole function is to provide support...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Tradnuts wrote: »

I went to the inverter and a warning light was on. The error is was displaying was 'Voltage over current'. It's a Solis hybrid 5kw. But I have 6.8kw array.

It came back on its self around 8 pm once the sun went behind the neighbour's house.

Saturday morning early they were doing maintenance work check messages in Solis Cloud app - also a new version of the Solis Cloud App was released - both may not be related - if graph doesn’t show anything email them

Yeah saw the changes on the new web portal, graphs make more sense now and I saw this as one of the changes: "Local debugging support Connect with Wifi" - wonder that it actually means

OK, Thanks for the replies, I have submitted a ticket to Solis.
    It's not the app updates, I went to the inverter etc. The system wasn't producing anything.
    I suspect it went over some limit and shut off to protect itself.
    However, this morning it has just stopped again at only 2.5kw at around 10am. No error message this time.
    Perhaps it's faulty....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sounds like the Inverter was protecting itself, what is your aspect for the 6.8kW oversized array?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Man I've got solar coming out of my ears. The car is full, the tank is hot, three loads of washing done, dishwasher done. Still producing over 3kW. I suppose it's time to be a good citizen and export for free.

This...

I dumped a shed load this month as I had EVs full a few of the better days, I'm not mad on exporting, prefer to self consume but even with 140kWh of EV batteries they can max out

Yeah thinking more battery if FIT is garbage, wouldn't mind a 20kw lifepo4 setup
    Dumped 431kw of clean power into the grid this month, you're welcome Greta :D

Last year I generated 767 kWh in May and exported 293kWh of it. This May I have generated 642kWh so far and exported only 120.9 of it. The magic of Zappi!

Tbh though I don't mind exporting too much. We got a grant so I think of it is as payback. Plus of course it helps the environment.

slave1 wrote: »
    Sounds like the Inverter was protecting itself, what is your aspect for the 6.8kW oversized array?

I rang the installer.
    He said it’s an AC over-current error. He says the grid voltage must have went above 250v.
    I’ve submitted a ticket to Solis. He said he’d call tomorrow to take a look if Solis don’t come back to me.
    The 6.8kw orientation is 16 panels south facing and 4 panels west facing.
    It regularly produces around 6kw.
    The installer said it’s a grid error though.

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Yeah thinking more battery if FIT is garbage, wouldn't mind a 20kw lifepo4 setup:D

Same as, watching some YT vids on it at the minute, wait and see how DrPhil gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Funny enough the best place I've found for Solis help, outside of the installer, is a Facebook users group based in the Philippines.

Guy on there called Mark is great and very prompt with help.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

garo wrote: »
    Man I've got solar coming out of my ears. The car is full, the tank is hot, three loads of washing done, dishwasher done. Still producing over 3kW. I suppose it's time to be a good citizen and export for free.

I'm sending back quite a bit too. Will continue to do so in good months until we get an EV.

Contemplating getting an extra battery. Will see what FIT brings first. Not much is my assumption...

• Advertisement

I seem to have imported about 100kws this month so if the FIT will cover whatever I pulled in with whatever I exported then I'm happy

slave1 wrote: »
    Same as, watching some YT vids on it at the minute, wait and see how DrPhil gets on.
    Many of us are in the same boat :) DrPhil don't let us down.

New highest of 44kw since the system went in this month, shame about the cloudy start of the day and the 25kw export but happy with 865kw in the worst May in recent history :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Best day yet for my 4.76kw solar array with 33.1kwh generated.

This is the first full month of my install and have generated 678kwh for the month of May so I am pretty happy with that!

So how many panels do you have. Seems like you have over 20 so with an average VOC of about 40v per panel, I would have thought that you are exceeding the inverters spec limits. You must be very close if not already exceeding the kW limits.

To be honest, I'm amazed it hasn't tripped before now. Is it a brand new install ?

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    I seem to have imported about 100kws this month so if the FIT will cover whatever I pulled in with whatever I exported then I'm happy

You need net metering, but I do not remember anyone ever discussing that as a possible FIT option.

Second best day of generation today, 40.3kwh and 27kwh consumed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

reni10 wrote: »
    Best day yet for my 4.76kw solar array with 33.1kwh generated.

This is the first full month of my install and have generated 678kwh for the month of May so I am pretty happy with that!

Thats very good for 4.7kwp

championc wrote: »
    So how many panels do you have. Seems like you have over 20 so with an average VOC of about 40v per panel, I would have thought that you are exceeding the inverters spec limits. You must be very close if not already exceeding the kW limits.

To be honest, I'm amazed it hasn't tripped before now. Is it a brand new install ?

Hi Championc.
    I had the installer here today and he was also on the phone to the Solis support guy.
    The inverter apparently can handle 6.5kw. There was no mention of the voltage. The Solis guy said he had not heard of my firmware version 3000ff and would update it.
    Installer checked most of the wires and they all seemed ok.
    He is certain that it’s not oversized.
    16 340 panels south and 4 340 panels west.

For me. It’s seems like too much of a coincidence that it was the best solar day of the year , last Sunday, at around midday that this started.
    Surely that can’t be just a coincidence??
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Hi Championc.
    I had the installer here today and he was also on the phone to the Solis support guy.
    The inverter apparently can handle 6.5kw. There was no mention of the voltage. The Solis guy said he had not heard of my firmware version 3000ff and would update it.
    Installer checked most of the wires and they all seemed ok.
    He is certain that it’s not oversized.
    16 340 panels south and 4 340 panels west.

For me. It’s seems like too much of a coincidence that it was the best solar day of the year , last Sunday, at around midday that this started.
    Surely that can’t be just a coincidence??
    Thanks.

That sucks feels like a limit breach but FYI the firmware version is common I would think - I was on that version deffo

Advertisement