Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Darc19 wrote: »
    I thought that extra track was being laid from parkwest to Heuston and further improvements are being made to the phoenix park tunnel.

Whilst these two projects are in Dublin, it will allow a substantial increase in train frequency from Kildare.

The celbridge dart project will also move passengers away from regular rail giving greater capacity too.

There's a lot of new rolling stock coming through to Irish rail over the next couple of years

And yes, there's plenty of housing, but there are plenty of business developments too.

Try not to be tunnel visioned, these changes will have a positive knock on affect for Naas.
    Bray has high frequency DART. It has 7 dublin bus routes. It will get Luas in the near future. We have very little connectivity in Naas, besides the road (the N7 is great).

Your point doesn’t make sense. If Naas will benefit so much from DART, why would they bring it out to Maynooth or Celbridge, Drogheda, Navan, and Greystones? If you look at it from a birds eye perspective, it’s everywhere but Naas. Why not end all the lines in Dublin if places that don’t get DART will also benefit? It’s because DART is far superior that’s why.

I highly doubt that our Grand Canal Dock services will increase when eventually the Phoenix park tunnel will be for DART services only and we have to make connections in Celbridge. I don’t think intercity carriages are great for health and safety reasons for a commuter town as large as Naas which has people packed onto trains at rush hour. With extra rail carriages, we have the ability to increase capacity. But do we have the ability to increase capacity to the point that we need to without DART? Certainly not.

Its interesting how all major transport infrastructure projects conveniently leave out the Naas Area. It’s sickening.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Naas Court Hotel reopening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

outdoor dining in Ireland..........sounds fantastic, what a treat

Imagine being happy that we have been allowed to eat outside on the streets with the dogs, while the rest of europe is back to indoor dining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭boccy23

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Imagine being happy that we have been allowed to eat outside on the streets with the dogs, while the rest of europe is back to indoor dining

Not true. I was speaking with a friend from Germany this morning. Still outdoor plus you have to have a cert for a Negative Test, Be fully Vaccinated or Have had Covid in the past 6 months before you can eat there.

So far more stringent than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Have you been to Europe? Even if Covid wasn't a thing, everyone would be outdoor dining from spring to early autumn.

• Advertisement

I'd rather have water that has no additives than the stuff that comes from bottles that they say has minerals etc

I've tried water through a RO and its all I need, who needs water to taste

I've seen the results of electrolysis on some bottle water, even the likes of Evian and you wouldnt drink it if you saw the results

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing as the saying goes.

Folk have already supplied the correct info to your points but fnck me how are you so misinformed.

Augeo wrote: »
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing as the saying goes.

Folk have already supplied the correct info to your points but fnck me how are you so misinformed.

So while everyone here is salivating over the prospect of outdoor dining in Ireland as a little incentive, how many were aware that the government yesterday voted in by a majority to extend the emergency powers to the Min for Health of Part 3 of the Health (Preservation and Protection and Other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Act) 2020 ?

This has now been extended for a 3rd time

And 2 of your local TD's voted in favour of this, one against and one abstained

boccy23 wrote: »
    Not true. I was speaking with a friend from Germany this morning. Still outdoor plus you have to have a cert for a Negative Test, Be fully Vaccinated or Have had Covid in the past 6 months before you can eat there.

So far more stringent than here.

Depends on where you are in Germany as its not the case everywhere there

Have you been to Europe? Even if Covid wasn't a thing, everyone would be outdoor dining from spring to early autumn.

easily done when you have the weather but not possible here

I suppose if your livelihood isnt affected then you really couldnt care less if they are kept closed, not everywhere can do outdoor dining

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

easily done when you have the weather but not possible here

I suppose if your livelihood isnt affected then you really couldnt care less if they are kept closed, not everywhere can do outdoor dining

I'm sorry if your livelihood is affected. I certainly do care very much about all aspects of how Covid has devastated our country.

My reply was in relation to your "dogs on the street" comment. You seem to think outdoor dining is uncivilised and cited Europe as an example of civilised dining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Tomrota wrote: »
    Bray has high frequency DART. It has 7 dublin bus routes. It will get Luas in the near future. We have very little connectivity in Naas, besides the road (the N7 is great).

Your point doesn’t make sense. If Naas will benefit so much from DART, why would they bring it out to Maynooth or Celbridge, Drogheda, Navan, and Greystones? If you look at it from a birds eye perspective, it’s everywhere but Naas. Why not end all the lines in Dublin if places that don’t get DART will also benefit? It’s because DART is far superior that’s why.

I highly doubt that our Grand Canal Dock services will increase when eventually the Phoenix park tunnel will be for DART services only and we have to make connections in Celbridge. I don’t think intercity carriages are great for health and safety reasons for a commuter town as large as Naas which has people packed onto trains at rush hour. With extra rail carriages, we have the ability to increase capacity. But do we have the ability to increase capacity to the point that we need to without DART? Certainly not.

Its interesting how all major transport infrastructure projects conveniently leave out the Naas Area. It’s sickening.

the dart takes 43 min from bray to dubln. its about 25min train from sallins to heuston. i know which one i prefer.

this infatuation of light rail is misconstrued. luas and the dart are awful, there are too many stops. saggart and rathcoole has nothing but people buy there cause of the luas line. the luas takes about 2 hours to get to dublin city centre. dublin bus is quicker.

agree that sallins train frequency is terrible, but for most people they use it as their work commute in which case its frequent enough.

if they bring the dart out to naas, that will be carte blanche to start building thousands more houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Tomrota wrote: »

From what has been mooted there will be a substantial increase in services for Kildare commuters as there will be more Cork-Dublin Limerick - Dublin and Galway - Dublin trains and more local commuter services.

If additional cork or limerick trains stop in Kildare Town or Newbridge, it helps capacity at Sallins. Likewise Dart to Celbridge will help capacity in Sallins too.

The upgrade to the Motorways has greatly assisted bus times especially outward bound and if demand is there, the bus operators can add capacity.

What IS needed is decent commuter bus service in Naas connecting to Sallins- possibly a circular route that runs on a loop constantly all day with extra peak time capacity and a nominal fee.

That combined with increased commuter train capacity will be far far superior to any "Dart" or "Luas" service that stop/starts far too many times.

As for comparison to Bray - Bray is effectively a suburb of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hero001

the dart takes 43 min from bray to dubln. its about 25min train from sallins to heuston. i know which one i prefer.

this infatuation of light rail is misconstrued. luas and the dart are awful, there are too many stops. saggart and rathcoole has nothing but people buy there cause of the luas line. the luas takes about 2 hours to get to dublin city centre. dublin bus is quicker.

agree that sallins train frequency is terrible, but for most people they use it as their work commute in which case its frequent enough.

if they bring the dart out to naas, that will be carte blanche to start building thousands more houses.

Having made this journey for many years, it can take you another 25 minutes to get from Heuston to a city centre location, in rush hour. It's also difficult to time, so, in reality, you need to leave the city centre between 30 and 40 minutes before a train is due to depart from Heuston.

It's also difficult to get on to the Luas or buses at Heuston, which is part of the reason the trains to Grand Canal, which take about around 60 minutes, are so popular. Sallins is also part of the Dublin commuter zone, so it costs less than get the train from Sallins than a bus from Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Very few people would agree that the train from Naas to Heuston is a better service to a Dart every 15 minutes from Bray to Howth/Malahide.

The only problem I have with the dart is that it should only take about 25 minutes to complete the 19km from Bray to city centre, but there's too many people living on that side of Dublin to cut stops out.

From what has been mooted there will be a substantial increase in services for Kildare commuters as there will be more Cork-Dublin Limerick - Dublin and Galway - Dublin trains and more local commuter services.

If additional cork or limerick trains stop in Kildare Town or Newbridge, it helps capacity at Sallins. Likewise Dart to Celbridge will help capacity in Sallins too.

The upgrade to the Motorways has greatly assisted bus times especially outward bound and if demand is there, the bus operators can add capacity.

What IS needed is decent commuter bus service in Naas connecting to Sallins- possibly a circular route that runs on a loop constantly all day with extra peak time capacity and a nominal fee.

That combined with increased commuter train capacity will be far far superior to any "Dart" or "Luas" service that stop/starts far too many times.

As for comparison to Bray - Bray is effectively a suburb of Dublin
    We don’t want to lose our Grand Canal Dock service though. This service is so popular that it looks as though a concert has finished at Sallins Train station when one pulls in at peak hours.

DART to Naas would mean more options and frequency. For those who do not like the DART, they could still use the intercity and commuter rail. But I suspect it would become very popular with its frequency. You would no longer have to plan your day around public transport.

The demand is there for buses but the market is run by private operators who charge extortionate prices. The 126 and 139 also charge extortionate prices. Give Naas Dublin Bus fares (like Blessington, Maynooth, Greystones, Ballymore Eustace, etc) and see the bus demand go through the roof.

I compared Naas to Bray cause there isn’t another commuter town of similar scope or size to Naas. If Bray is a suburb of Dublin, then Naas is more comparable to the likes of Greystones, Balbriggan, Maynooth, etc. which makes Naas the largest commuter town. It demands much more infrastructure and involvement of public transport infrastructure projects than it currently has.

How are those in Naas supposed to travel to Tallaght for shopping or university or the hospital? People are always up and down to tallaght hospital. How are those in Naas supposed to travel even within the Naas area? To Maynooth university? To rathcoole? Public transport is what connects communities. Car reliance is Naas is worse than most other places. We don’t even have a park and ride. No public transport to the train station. No local bus routes. And I’m really not interested in hearing about what private companies are doing, public transport in a major commuter town is a government issue.

This may not affect any of you guys personally but it definitely affects younger people, those who want to go to university, and many other demographics. I know people who have dropped out of UCD because Naas isn’t integrated into the public transport system and it was just too expensive.

MaccaTacca wrote: »
    Very few people would agree that the train from Naas to Heuston is a better service to a Dart every 15 minutes from Bray to Howth/Malahide.

The only problem I have with the dart is that it should only take about 25 minutes to complete the 19km from Bray to city centre, but there's too many people living on that side of Dublin to cut stops out.
    To add to that, the Bray/Greystones DART lines will see significant investment and upgrade alongside the new DART lines to Maynooth and Celbridge. It will be even more efficient and frequent.

DART as it currently is isn’t comparable to what it will be when these DART lines are completed. There will be very little difference in journey times, we would have a massive increase in frequency to the city centre, we could take the DART to get to many other places, and we would no longer have to plan our days around public transport.

When all the houses are built in Naas, people will be crying out for improvements to our public transport. Our transport was never good to begin with and was already at capacity. I fear quality of life in the area will suffer badly as a result of lack of investment in the area.

Without copying the posts, we need to get away from wanting everything from door to door.

The sweepstakes brought too many hospitals to Ireland and we have small inefficient hospitals in many small towns and should you dare to change it, you will get massive protests.

Public transport does not need to be door to door. If you lived in London or any other major city it is normal to take 2/3 trains or buses to get to your destination.

Sallins capacity is going to be greatly increased. One stop on and you'll be able to change to the dart.

But ideally there should be a bus to link hazelhatch to city West which would give great connectivity. Even better would be to extend the dart to Newcastle, sagart and link in with the red line for the ultimate connectivity.

UCD, - no dart or Luas goes there, so it's not just an issue for Naas people

Without copying the posts, we need to get away from wanting everything from door to door.

The sweepstakes brought too many hospitals to Ireland and we have small inefficient hospitals in many small towns and should you dare to change it, you will get massive protests.

Public transport does not need to be door to door. If you lived in London or any other major city it is normal to take 2/3 trains or buses to get to your destination.

Sallins capacity is going to be greatly increased. One stop on and you'll be able to change to the dart.

But ideally there should be a bus to link hazelhatch to city West which would give great connectivity. Even better would be to extend the dart to Newcastle, sagart and link in with the red line for the ultimate connectivity.

UCD, - no dart or Luas goes there, so it's not just an issue for Naas people
    I never advocated for public transport door to door. I would like for the area to benefit from the same increases in public transport capacity as comparable commuter towns like Maynooth, Balbriggan, Greystones, etc. I would also like to highlight the 126 bus is more expensive than any other bus within comparable distance to the city and is a bus that is anti-local travel. Again, we have no local bus routes. Again, we don’t have Dublin Bus fares yet half of Wicklow county has, even Ballymore Eustace does. This does not support local transport, does not support regular commuting, does not support modal shift and actually has a huge financial penalty on commuters. For example, if I am to take a 126 to anywhere in Dublin, I will not avail of the standard fare, the LEAP cap, or the ability to transfer without financial penalty. This means that a student commuting from Naas to UCD vs Maynooth to UCD is up to 70€ per week from Naas and capped at 20€ per week for those in Maynooth. I don’t think people who don’t use public transport in Naas realise how expensive it actually is.

What I am advocating for is a high frequency, high capacity commuter rail system (DART). What we have now isn’t great and won’t serve Naas well in the future. If we are to have modal shift from cars to public transport, we need over investment. If Grand Canal Dock service is completely swamped now, what will it be like if 500 people decided to use that instead of their cars? Or 1000 people move into the new houses in Naas? Demand has shown how popular the Grand Canal Dock service is in Sallins, so why shouldn’t this be built upon?

Are you saying that Naas will benefit more from not having the DART and having to rely on long distance commuter rail/intercity diesel trains which have capacity limits? I am at a loss to understand what you are advocating for.

I'm saying that you are being too tunnel visioned.

Improvements for Naas or Newbridge or Kildare town don't have take place in the towns themselves.

In your case if you are going to grand canal dock you should see huge improvement.

More frequent trains from sallins, 9 minutes to hazelhatch. Quick change and jump on the frequent dart services to grand canal dock.

That's what people do in most countries. Jump on/off different routes to get to a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭you2008

I'm saying that you are being too tunnel visioned.

Improvements for Naas or Newbridge or Kildare town don't have take place in the towns themselves.

In your case if you are going to grand canal dock you should see huge improvement.

More frequent trains from sallins, 9 minutes to hazelhatch. Quick change and jump on the frequent dart services to grand canal dock.

That's what people do in most countries. Jump on/off different routes to get to a destination.

I think you are tunnel versioned, please don’t mess up this again – built green line and red line and – ops take 5 yrs to linked them up ( this joke never going to happend in any other country). if this Country want to do something, do it right in the 1st place, ie --> incl Naas for Dart.

• Advertisement

you2008 wrote: »
    I think you are tunnel versioned, please don’t mess up this again – built green line and red line and – ops take 5 yrs to linked them up ( this joke never going to happend in any other country). if this Country want to do something, do it right in the 1st place, ie --> incl Naas for Dart.

It would of course be great for Naas if there was a true train/dart service - not a service from sallins.

But I can't see it happening.

Take my replies in context. It was the poster that said Naas was left out. It wasn't. There will be a 35% increase in rail capacity next year. A further increase in 2025. And a quick jump off and jump on at hazelhatch opens all the proposed dart stations which I believe will continue to Greystones.

But surely the huge planned increase in trains from sallins, coupled with a single stop away link into dart will be of huge benefit? Is that not connectivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone recommend a pub/restaurant for outdoor dining?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

hero001 wrote: »
    Having made this journey for many years, it can take you another 25 minutes to get from Heuston to a city centre location, in rush hour. It's also difficult to time, so, in reality, you need to leave the city centre between 30 and 40 minutes before a train is due to depart from Heuston.

It's also difficult to get on to the Luas or buses at Heuston, which is part of the reason the trains to Grand Canal, which take about around 60 minutes, are so popular. Sallins is also part of the Dublin commuter zone, so it costs less than get the train from Sallins than a bus from Naas

i see it as an advantage as its an excuse for a 20 minute walk from heuston to O'Connell Bridge. which is quicker than getting on a cramped luas and getting frustrated at the speed of commute.

If the dart came to naas, it would justify less high speed trains.

but again the frequency is diabolical. id a problem getting the last train yesterday at 7.45pm from heuston to naas. imagine the last train is that early.

On a bus between sallins and around naas.... people in naas love their car. until carbon taxes and oil prices remove the incentive, i cant see a market for public transport

Does anyone know of anywhere to go with a group of people to do a bit of orienteering in Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Does anyone know of anywhere to go with a group of people to do a bit of orienteering in Kildare?

Donadea forest has some orienteering routes but I don’t know how you’d go about getting maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

I really think it should be the other way around. Investment in public transport first: higher frequency on trains, bus service to get around the town to the train, around different points of the town, review of the commuting area (it's really Newbridge that far from Dublin to pay an extra bit?)... Even to be able to check online how long is going to take until the bus that goes Clane - Naas arrives (which is awfully unreliable), would make a difference!

At the moment Ireland is many things, but not user friendly. Not for public service, not for walkers, not for cyclists. There is so much potential for growth on all this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember doing a bit of map work with the cubs in Glen Ding woods and Donadea, about 30 years ago. There'd be a bit of work to setting g out the market points.

I'm of no use to where to get the maps, compass, etc.

any restaurants/bars in naas with large outdoor areas. im finding it hard to get a booking. if the outdoor is big might be more successful. and i dont need comments that its impossible or booked out long ago. just looking for places with big outdoor seatings. tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

any restaurants/bars in naas with large outdoor areas. im finding it hard to get a booking. if the outdoor is big might be more successful. and i dont need comments that its impossible or booked out long ago. just looking for places with big outdoor seatings. tks

I just booked las radas, not everyones cup of tea but they seemed to have decent availability.
    Ill be dropping my son to 33 main later on, they only called yesterday for a booking.

I did notice alot of the evening slots are gone. Both the above reservations are for 5ish. Id say if your flexi with mid week you might stand a better chance.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    I just booked las radas, not everyones cup of tea but they seemed to have decent availability.
    Ill be dropping my son to 33 main later on, they only called yesterday for a booking.

I did notice alot of the evening slots are gone. Both the above reservations are for 5ish. Id say if your flexi with mid week you might stand a better chance.

thanks a million. thats very handy.

Advertisement