Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre-making Formula

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Thanks for this - we are liaising with our GP on it.

Just be mindful our GP didn’t really know anything about it. It was the dietician (and google prior to that) who actually gave me all the information about the ladder. We made it up the ladder by maybe 18 months? But had two stalls along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Just be mindful our GP didn’t really know anything about it. It was the dietician (and google prior to that) who actually gave me all the information about the ladder. We made it up the ladder by maybe 18 months? But had two stalls along the way

Yes my GP also didn't have a clue. Told me he has CMPA himself so everything has to be lactose-free.... so he clearly didn't know the difference between CMPA and lactose intolerance either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind! Our GP is normally quite good to recognise her limits though and refer where needed.
    We have done the milk ladder with our son & discovered that he is fine with yogurts, cheese etc, it's just the actual milk that upsets his system.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Thanks, we've started with the lactose free stuff...not sure if it was the right thing to do but her brother is on it and it suits him so hoping for the same with her!

I had a child on lactose free milk too , I completely forget the name of it but I think it it was called enfamil. It makes such a difference!

Good Luck with it , I hope it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

The key is to use boiled water (so its sterile) cooled to 70C (so it kills anything in the formula without killing the nutrition).Thats why the recommendation is to boil 1 litre of water and cool for 30 mins (thats how long it takes for 1 litre to cool to 70).

We pour boiled water directly into the bottles and cool in a sink of water with a kitchen thermometer so it drops to 70 in a few mins. Pop the formula in, shake, leave to cool in the sink, then into the fridge. Pretty quick process. We use within 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I gave up on this.

Tommee Tippee perfect prep now.
    Please don't tell me it's poisonous or lethal or highly dangerous to be using this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Is the 30mins to cool to 70 not very subjective? Tried this on holidays before and was definitely cold in 30mins more like 50C. Surely the kettle used, amount of water in the kettle etc.. all impact the cooling rate.

Used perfect prep and readymades if out and about when was at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Is the 30mins to cool to 70 not very subjective? Tried this on holidays before and was definitely cold in 30mins more like 50C. Surely the kettle used, amount of water in the kettle etc.. all impact the cooling rate.

Used perfect prep and readymades if out and about when was at that stage.

Supposed to boil a litre of water, let cool for no more than 30 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Supposed to boil a litre of water, let cool for no more than 30 mins.

Yes but the shape, colour etc of the kettle will impact the final temperature. I'm sure there's a significant variation in temperature. Have tried it on holidays using a pot (no kettle available) and it didn't work. But the waiting for 30mins with a bawling baby doesn't sound like fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Yes but the shape, colour etc of the kettle will impact the final temperature. I'm sure there's a significant variation in temperature. Have tried it on holidays using a pot (no kettle available) and it didn't work. But the waiting for 30mins with a bawling baby doesn't sound like fun

By far the biggest factor would be the volume of water. But ya, a 30 min wait with a bawling child would be a disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Out of interest, I stuck the meat thermometer in the kettle 30 mins after boiling a while ago. Temperature was still well in the 80s.

As you say, the main difference was that there wass more than 1l in the kettle when I just casually "filled" it. A Litre in a kettle isn't actually that much.

Another vote for doing 24hours worth of bottles each evening, much more relaxed. We have a perfect prep from our 1st, but haven't bothered with it on our 2nd yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

crisco10 wrote: »
    Another vote for doing 24hours worth of bottles each evening, much more relaxed. We have a perfect prep from our 1st, but haven't bothered with it on our 2nd yet.

This was always our way...popped them into a lunchbox of cold water and ice to cool quickly and in the fridge then....although sometimes my husband found remembering to put them in the fridge hard :rolleyes: There's nothing quite like coming down in the morning with a starving baby and realising the bottles have been left out all night! :eek::pac:

Advertisement