Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,063 ✭✭✭✭Esel

pottokblue wrote: »
    This has probably already been recommend, yesterday I loved "Dancing with Birds" a 45 min doc on netflix showing birds of paradise in papua and panama and the mating dances voiced by Stephen Fry
    :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

For the past few weeks we’ve been hearing a very distinctive bird call & would love to know what it is.

The call sounds uncannily like the Irish greeting “Dia duit, Dia duit, Dia duit”!

Any idea what bird it is?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Probably a coal tit.

They've different types of calls.

(from 25 seconds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Saw a Redkite on Saturday North County Dublin, been 3 years since the last time I spotted one in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Bsal wrote: »
    Saw a Redkite on Saturday North County Dublin, been 3 years since the last time I spotted one in my area.
    There are several West of Swords/Ashbourne and I saw one near Slane a few months ago. They are beautiful birds to see on the wing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i see one (or maybe more than one) between coolquay and kilsallaghan quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'd love to see Red Kite. Living in NCD but only buzzards I ever see.

Would I definitely know it was a Red Kite or could I mistake it for a buzzard?

I did think I spotted one once in Newbridge House but it was too far away to be sure in more densely forested area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

easiest way to tell is the tail - it's forked on a kite.

easiest way to tell is the tail - it's forked on a kite.

Yeah I try and look at that but sometimes, I only get a quick glance at them when driving so hard to know!

Its amazing how many buzzards I see now on daily basis especially my regular friends perched beside M50.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Farmer here, noticed a buzzard along a field drain. Do they eat frogs?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

blue5000 wrote: »
    Farmer here, noticed a buzzard along a field drain. Do they eat frogs?

Definitely part of their diet.

went for a walk on portmarnock beach this evening, sea was much choppier than usual and there was a lot of stuff which had been washed up; including a lot of these, they had a kind of rubbery or leathery texture, and none formed a complete circle that we could see. anyone know what they are?

553732.jpg

we also found some of these, but only two or three. growing on razor clam shells, and looked a little bit like human skin on them. kinda fleshy/rubbery looking.

553733.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sea anemones, or what's left of them?

Saw a Jay for the first time ever there

Was sitting out in my garden and it just landed on the lawn, bigger than I would’ve thought

Well they say you never forget your first sighting of King Fisher but wow I never expected it to be on busy roadway!

Driving home on R132 this evening beside Swords/ Malahide estuary and two King fishers flew right out over the car.

It was the flash of blue that caught my eye, the colour was unbelievable even in the rain.

Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

If it's rat-sized, it's a rat (who lost part of its tail, by the looks of it), if it's much smaller I'd say it's a vole.

^^^ it relates to my earlier post

i can't 100% ID it either...if its a rat i'll get out the rat trap, but i don't want to kill an innocent vole (i'm about 1/4 mile away from a river)

are voles strictly river bound or do they come inland?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

fryup wrote: »

i can't 100% ID it either...if its a rat i'll get out the rat trap, but i don't want to kill an innocent vole (i'm about 1/4 mile away from a river)

Hate to be the one to break this to you, but rats are practically everywhere, but they are mostly harmless, and nothing to be feared, so long as you are not inadvertently provided a food source.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »

https://www.britannica.com/animal/woodland-vole

I'd say a Rat. We only have Bank Voles in Ireland, and they are still not found in every county. Found in rough grass, hedges, no specific attachment to water. They have ears pressed close to the head, giving a very cute look. Mice tend to do everything at a million miles an hour, this lad looks more ponderous. Coupled with that big hole, looks like it

and does one rat mean a family of rats?

got this from the seal sanctuary (we bought an adoption pack as a christmas present for some friends' kids a year or two ago):
    Seal(s) of the Month - Rescued Once Again!

Our 'Seal of the Month' title is shared by three pups for May, that sadly have had to be re-admitted into our care after initial rescue and rehabilitation last year: Hydra, North Star and Galaxy. All three were healthy and illness-free when initially released, but after spending a matter of months in the wild exposed to poor water quality in coastal waters, they each had to be rescued a second time, and upon intake were found to have heavy parasite burdens which they did not have when they were released.

Seals are considered a 'bioindicator' species because the health of their populations provides valuable insights as to the health of the habitats in which they reside. If we're seeing a lot of sick seals, it could be a warning of a wider environmental issue that impacts more than just seals. By swimming in and eating prey from polluted waters, seals are exposed to toxins and pollutants which bio-accumulate in their bodies and weaken their immune systems. Just like humans, if a seal has a weak immune system, it becomes vulnerable to secondary illnesses which they'd otherwise be able to overcome. Parasites such as lungworm are very normal in seal populations and usually are not bad enough to threaten a healthy animal's survival (much like us if we get a common cold!).

However, the parasite burdens we are currently seeing in seals this year, including the three seal pups who were just released months ago and now back in care, have been extreme compared to previous years, and are bad enough that they could cause death without medical care. Importantly, the seals we rescue represent a small fraction of the wild population, and the reality is most seals are living and dying outside of the scope of what we can see, which makes these case studies very important.

As for Hydra, North Star and Galaxy, we are glad to be able to give them another chance at survival in the wild, and we will keep working towards a brighter future for them and their natural habitat. If you would like to learn about SRI's habitat restoration project, aimed to flight climate change, biodiversity loss and water pollution, please see our website here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We were down in Raven Point Curracloe today and saw some kind of bird of prey. Initially I thought it was a sparrow hawk but after checking the book I am drawn more to it being a peregrine. It looked too small to be either though. It was kind of hovering in the air beating its wings (was only a little bit windy). Anyone any thoughts on what would be most likely in the area?
    We never saw either bird before. Otherwise it was a washout birdwise. For a bird sanctuary there seems not to be too many birds although maybe I am just spoilt with having Bull Island on my doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Smaller than Sparrowhawk and hovering would suggest Kestrel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

whyulittle wrote: »
    Smaller than Sparrowhawk and hovering would suggest Kestrel.

Awesome. You could be right as I had discounted it based on the pic in my book having a fan tail but I looked again and there is another pic where the tail isn't fanned while flying :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We were down in Raven Point Curracloe today and saw some kind of bird of prey. Initially I thought it was a sparrow hawk but after checking the book I am drawn more to it being a peregrine. It looked too small to be either though. It was kind of hovering in the air beating its wings (was only a little bit windy). Anyone any thoughts on what would be most likely in the area?
    We never saw either bird before. Otherwise it was a washout birdwise. For a bird sanctuary there seems not to be too many birds although maybe I am just spoilt with having Bull Island on my doorstep.

The Raven and Wexford Slobs and Harbour are mainly protected sites because of the number of wintering waterbirds present. Its a very different place in the winter bird-wise!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Does anyone else think that there are less swallows around this summer?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

blue5000 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that there are less swallows around this summer?
    The swallows have nested again in last year’s nests except for one out of seven. Only one of the three house Martin nests under the end gable of the house is occupied.

Advertisement