Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Had an interesting visitor to the sunflower feeders today, a female Linnet! I've been feeding birds for about 15 years now in my garden and this is the first time I've seen a Linnet come to the feeders, she was sharing the feeders with 4 or 5 Goldfinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lucky you, never ever had a linnet in my garden - east clare

come to think of it never had a - yellowhammer, brambling, crossbill or redpoll either

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

dropped my wife out to where her horse is stabled, 30km there and back in the car (we're allowed outside 5km for animal care reasons).
    between the drive out, five minutes at the stable, and the drive home, i saw one red kite and at least seven buzzards. at one point, we could see three buzzards and the red kite at the same time.

now, that's a good haul for 40 minutes in the car, but only ten years ago that would have been extraordinary to see.

I drop my daughter to stables most days and see a red kite most days and buzzards nearly every day . Could be the same stables . Out neer the Coolquay Lodge by any chance ??

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

A lone Goldfinch in full song in the tree outside my house every day now. I really missed not having them around over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Bsal wrote: »
    Had an interesting visitor to the sunflower feeders today, a female Linnet! I've been feeding birds for about 15 years now in my garden and this is the first time I've seen a Linnet come to the feeders, she was sharing the feeders with 4 or 5 Goldfinch.

The only time I ever saw a linnet was the year of the bad snow in 2010 when they came to visit our feeders. It was also the first and last time I saw a bullfinch and blackcap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We saw Teale on Bull Island for the first time today. My little boy is delighted with himself. Didn't know wtf it was when I saw it but lucky we had a bird book with us.
    Then saw a comorant in St Anne's. Successful day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We saw Teale on Bull Island for the first time today. My little boy is delighted with himself. Didn't know wtf it was when I saw it bit lucky we had a bird book with us.
    Then saw a comorant in St Anne's. Successful day :)

So special to make memories! it really shapes and influences our little ones. I have the simplest memory of feeding garden birds as a child with my father during a snowy winter and it has lived long in my memory. Hoped you both enjoyed your lovely day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Saw a kingfisher flying up the Liffey at Guinness earlier this morning

Must be 25 years since I last saw one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you occasionally see them on the tolka near the botanic gardens. egrets, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

I see Kingfishers regularily on the Tolka. There's a good population of them on Dublins rivers / canals. They always seem to appear out of nowhere and disappear just as fast. I've never managed to get a photo of one.

We have our usual competing mob of Blackbirds in the garden this year. One of the females is a prolific nest builder. There are three that I know of. The latest is in the thinest bit of Pyracantha in the garden, right outside the back door :(. I really hope she doesn't use it as there is no way we can avoid disturbing them, as I'm constantly in/out from the garden. It's also directly above my favorite spot to sit in the afternoon :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

I've just discovered a birds nest under one of the kids little wheelbarrows. The kid had put their shoe through the bottom of it (as you do!) and then abandoned it in the lawn. I lifted it for the first cut of the year and the mother flew out. I've replaced the Barrow and the nest is intact and not disturbed. I dont mind it but I'm wary of the kids messing with it. Is there any option to move it or is it there for the duration?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

The bird song is unreal today in garden. Blackbirds having been singing since early morning, very elaborate song obviously looking for a mate and mot having much look!

Robin also singing away and two buzzards flying high in sky.

I love a beautiful sunny day like this in spring!

statto25 wrote: »
    I've just discovered a birds nest under one of the kids little wheelbarrows. The kid had put their shoe through the bottom of it (as you do!) and then abandoned it in the lawn. I lifted it for the first cut of the year and the mother flew out. I've replaced the Barrow and the nest is intact and not disturbed. I dont mind it but I'm wary of the kids messing with it. Is there any option to move it or is it there for the duration?

Your not meant to go near birds nests once season starts. The fact that you disturbed it( I know it was an accident you didn't know it was there and they can pick mad places to nest!) may mean that the bird abandons if it was just a nest? Was there any eggs in it. Now don't go checking as your not meant to go near a nest but can you remember?

Best thing to do is keep an eye out from distance to see if bird comes back to it or not. If it does you will have to leave it alone, but early in season yet so might not and go elsewhere.

What type of bird was it?

appledrop wrote: »
    Your not meant to go near birds nests once season starts. The fact that you disturbed it( I know it was an accident you didn't know it was there and they can pick mad places to nest!) may mean that the bird abandons if it was just a nest? Was there any eggs in it. Now don't go checking as your not meant to go near a nest but can you remember?

Best thing to do is keep an eye out from distance to see if bird comes back to it or not. If it does you will have to leave it alone, but early in season yet so might not and go elsewhere.

What type of bird was it?

The bird is back in it and there were def eggs in it. I wont lie I dont know the type of bird, perhaps a wren. I'm fully aware of the rules regarding nests hence why I asked. It's doing no harm bar stopping me from mowing that part of the lawn.

The bird is back in it and there were def eggs in it. I wont lie I dont know the type of bird, perhaps a wren. I'm fully aware of the rules regarding nests hence why I asked. It's doing no harm bar stopping me from mowing that part of the lawn.

Ah wow I'd love to have a wrens nest!

Yea you'll have to leave it if eggs there. I know it's hard if you have kids to stop them going near it but all you can do it try your best and hope it doesn't mind a bit of company in garden.

It's early for them to have laid their eggs are you sure it is a wren not a Robin? Wren usually later on in April although could be early due to nice weather.

The eggs should hatch in about two weeks and then about another two weeks to fledge so should be all done in about a month so at least gone by time summer comes if it is a wren as only 1 nest a year for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

On Cruit island today down by the golf course

sky was alive with skylarks singing their hearts out. Was absolutely gorgeous, couldn't resist a dip in the water.

appledrop wrote: »
    Ah wow I'd love to have a wrens nest!

Yea you'll have to leave it if eggs there. I know it's hard if you have kids to stop them going near it but all you can do it try your best and hope it doesn't mind a bit of company in garden.

It's early for them to have laid their eggs are you sure it is a wren not a Robin? Wren usually later on in April although could be early due to nice weather.

The eggs should hatch in about two weeks and then about another two weeks to fledge so should be all done in about a month so at least gone by time summer comes if it is a wren as only 1 nest a year for them.

I'll keep an eye tomorrow and see can I get a better look at the mammy. I was thinking they would be there a lot longer so that's good news. Thanks for the advice!

I'll keep an eye tomorrow and see can I get a better look at the mammy. I was thinking they would be there a lot longer so that's good news. Thanks for the advice!

A wren will be tiny, one of smallest birds and they have a very distinctive tail that kind of sticks up so you'd spot that straight away.

The other bird it could be apart from Robin would be Dunnock.

That's just plain brown but bigger than Robin more sparrow size so id say its one of those 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I saw a few wrens nests as a child, and my memory is of them being mainly made of moss. Am I remembering correctly?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Two sets of two Buzzards circling each other somersaulting and making plenty of noise over the garden for about an hour in the sunshine this afternoon in west Cork.

About 5 different sightings locally in the last 2 weeks.

From none a few years ago.

Beautiful sound. Stopped work and couldn't help but just admire.

friends of mine were kinda chuffed to find some tawny mining bees the other day, which had been thought to have been extinct in ireland till 2012 IIRC. near the coast in north wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

On Cruit island today down by the golf course

sky was alive with skylarks singing their hearts out. Was absolutely gorgeous, couldn't resist a dip in the water.

The skylark out here is always singing when I first emerge early. Stops me in my tracks with the glory of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Today on my monthly outing/walk I saw the three amigos herons, moorhens, swans, ducks, seagull, cormorants, 2 robins, horse, St bernard, Old english sheepdog, canal, sea,lighthouse, mountain, clouds, sky, gorse, whiteblossom, tulips, daffodils, and many more things that I dont know the name of....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I saw two Dolphins in the Shannon near Foynes. I am not ashamed to say I shrieked in delight like a child on Christmas morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Saw a bluetit at our feeder this afternoon. Another first for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I had lots of frogspwan back in feb but never saw them develop into tadpoles/frogs now all gone. Would magpies, pigeons, foxes, cats drink/eat them....?

I have two regular robins who come to my feeder (mixed seeds) I wanted to get some meal worm but find it quite pricey.

we gave up trying to keep dandelions out of the bed at the front door (if you can't beat em...); and it's been great to see now that that bed is attracting goldfinches, which would usually only be rare visitors to the garden.

pottokblue wrote: »
    I had lots of frogspwan back in feb but never saw them develop into tadpoles/frogs now all gone. Would magpies, pigeons, foxes, cats drink/eat them....?
    there can be 'external' predation, but are there fish in the pond?

• Advertisement

Advertisement