Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old baby killed by dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A dog is a pack animal. If you say you know your dog and it would behave in a way to attack some one you do not understand dogs. As a pack animal dogs are not only territorial but also there is a pecking order. Finally there is instinct.

On territorial dogs will protect there territory. In a normal pack this is not an issue as a mother gives birth within the territory. This is why when you see dog pack programs even if a non Alpha female gives birth the pack will not attack these pups, in general they starve them to death

On pecking order dogs will structure that within a pack and an older dog will protect that order.

On instinct when a dog smells blood it will in general become overcome with blood instinct. This is immaterial whether it a lamb of a child it is attacking. Certain dog breeds have a stronger blood instinct than others. You also have to factor in size and strength.

There are certain times in any family/ pack structure that there is danger involved. Just like any human dogs can suffer from jealousy/ attack on there social order.

When a baby first enters a pack structure ( it was not born within the pack from a dog's point of view) jealous can evolve. This is often dependent on the dogs l, breed and temperament. If this happens if the interloper ( baby) further invades the pack structure ( is moved into an adjacent bedroom where the dog has roaming rights ( territory) accidents can happen.

It is not for is to pass judgement, but a dog is a dog, a baby is a baby neither should be within each other territory unsupervised. No dog should have access to a childs sleeping area or in general to where a an alpha male or female is not present.

Finally on a note you have to be much more wary of blood breeds. This is my name for dogs that are either bred with/ for certain characteristics or are not as domesticated as others. It could be a Jack Russell, a Doberman, an Alsatian or maybe only a stupid sheepdog.

Dogs are dogs just be mindful of the pack structure. Be careful understand your animal

Slava Ukrainii

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

About 1,600 children were hospitalised due to dog bites between 1998 and 2013.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dangerous-dogs-alert-after-50-rise-in-hospitalisations-study-1.2188148

Your statement of "2 or 3 dogs have snapped on children in Ireland in the past ten years" is nothing but nonsense.

I should have said deaths that is what I meant, most of them bites are minor and also the stats do not show other mitigating factors, the point I was making is people saying they would not let their children play with their dogs unsupervised is absolutely ridiculous not letting your child out the back garden to play with their dog without supervision.

When making that decision you have to use judgement, I do know of a friend of mine that has a small dog that has snapped numerous times and bit him, it is generally the small dogs which are very viscious and snap easily while I have experience mostly with german shepherds , the german shepherd has one of the best pass rates for temperaments, So, they’re one of the most stable dogs that respond well to unpredictability, such as kids and also bond extremely well with kids often treating children with the same love and care as they would treat their own pups and are one of the smartest dogs in the world, from german shepherds I get a sense of wisdom, love, loyalty while from other dog breeds I have come in contact with seem retarded in comparison.

Other dog breeds that I have come into contact with often seem brain dead and I could understand how the potential to snap is there it comes down to common sense of knowing your dog, what some people are saying on here that any dog could snap at any time is absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I had a German Shepard which I got as a year old with from a family with young kids. The dog showed signs of sudden aggression, we tried to correct. One day he put a hole in the coat of my 10 year olds friend who called to the house. I walked the child back to his father, apologized and took the German Shepherd to the vet the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

All the know it alls saying oh they shouldn't have had a dog near the child. Do you think they are happy about it now. It's a tragic fcking occurrence and all the armchair experts should shut it. It won't help that poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I have only read a small part of this thread.

But the bit I have read people are compassionate. But also people are trying to raise awareness so this type of thing does not happen some other unfortunate family.

The latter is also been emphasised because some people are adamantly claiming that it is a once off etc etc.
    Some posters implying it is been blown out of proportion and so on. As if posters merely mentioning controlling dogs and the fact they can be dangerous is somehow an anti-dog agenda.

If just one family reads this thread and is more careful as a result, it has served a useful purpose.

I sincerely doubt that a family who has lost a 3 month old child in such a manner would be up reading a boards.ie thread now. They would have far more pressing concerns.

Raise awareness or act in judgement? Seems to me to be the second. Nobody even knows the full circumstances. People presumed a breed of dog. Most wrong. Majority presumed a family pet. They were wrong. I just think people should hold off on judging until all the facts are known.
    It's not about the family being on here. Of course they are not. But some neighbours or people in their community might see this thread and start to judge too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

guy2231 wrote: »
    All this rubbish about dogs being unsafe around kids, ask yourself this when was the last time a child was killed by a house dog in Ireland?

Possibly decades I couldn't find anything at all online about a child being killed by a dog in Ireland for a very long time apart from stray dogs who killed them on the street, this one case puts the s**** on everyone without good reason.

One is one too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone here know how you would stop a dog attack? From the Wiki link pitbulls go for their victims neck an they clamp their jaws into it while swinging their own neck violently. Theyve done this to fully grown adults and killed them. Whats the best way and weapon to subdue such a dog attack in the home? Either if it happened yourself or you walked in on it, what should you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If it's a male, go for the balls. I'm not sure about females.

Edit: Actually, stamp on their lower back. You'll break their spine and kill their lower legs.

Are a dogs balls as sensitive as our own? Ive no ideas bur it would be hard to kick it in the nuts when its jaw is clamped on your neck. Maybe fingers into its eye socket would cause them to release their jaw clamp?

If you walked in on someone under attack by a dog Im not sure stamping on their lower back would be a knockout, they would keep going. In the Wiki link someone stabbed the dog with a kitchen knife but it didnt have immediate effect, the dog kept attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone here know how you would stop a dog attack? From the Wiki link pitbulls go for their victims neck an they clamp their jaws into it while swinging their own neck violently. Theyve done this to fully grown adults and killed them. Whats the best way and weapon to subdue such a dog attack in the home? Either if it happened yourself or you walked in on it, what should you do?

If the dog has a collar catch it at the back and twist it tight up under the back of their ear. Supposedly this will knock a dog unconscious. haven't tried this so can't comment on its effectiveness.

If a dog has locked on to say your arm then push into the bite rather than try to pull away. This has the dual effect of helping to block their airway but more importantly reducing the power in their bite. I have tried this and it definitely works - the dogs don't like it at all. (Works with humans as well BTW !!!!)

Stamping or kicking hard on their chest can also supposedly be effective and knocks the steam out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

How often do things like this happen? About as often or probably far less often than a family member snapping and killing a child.

And bizarrely, the public are far more lenient about how much blame they dish out or repercussions they demand in those cases. :rolleyes:

Poor family. Young (possibly new) mother, new baby, new home - it is a tragedy of colossal proportions, there is no doubt about that. But, I can completely understand how it happened. Parents regularly operate on empty. It's nothing short of a miracle that they operate at all in my opinion. Accidents happen in busy homes with tired parents every day of the week. Most of us just get incredibly lucky most of the time.

My heart goes out to the family, particularly mum. I'd imagine she will relive last night for the rest of her life :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Labradors have a very high biting rate in almost every survey I've ever read. It's partly because of the sheer numbers of them (in comparison to say Pit Bulls) but regardless they still have a high rate.

RIP to that poor child. I won't be casting any judgements on either the parents or the dog while the facts are still unknown.
    Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    As ever, details important. Huge number of labrador bites are reported as its postmen making claims against home owners. And a lot of bites are through letterbox. They're not attacking babies in cribs. Personal injury claims, not maulings. Anyway, RIP poor kid.

The most important detail is that they do attack and they do bite.
    The cleverest Lab in the world doesn't know if it's postmans hand, a childs hand or a neighbours hand coming through the letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,070 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Staffies are very strong and are on the restricted breeds list.

They are very strong for such a small dog. And more aggressive (the owners would call it playful) naturally than any other dog breed I have ever come across. And you are right, they are on the list. The only small dog on the list.
    Restricted dog breeds in Ireland:

American Pit Bull Terrier.
    English Bull Terrier.
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
    Bull Mastiff.
    Dobermann Pinscher.
    Rottweiler.
    German Shepherd.
    Rhodesian Ridgeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

TXinLK wrote: »
    Seems the parents over estimated the dog's assimilation into the family structure.In my experience a dog acknowledges an alpha and anyone after he will challenge to improve his rank.It is the same with horses,even cattle.I am sure the family are beating themselves up with hindsight.But I struggle understanding how the dog had full access to the child's room.I own 2 Labs and there is a saftely gate in every doorway.Over protective maybe but I also know it doesn't take much to set a dog off.And if it was a husky/akita breed they are very territorial so why allow access to a newborn?

As much as it might upset the general posters,the parents didn't really unjderstand the needs of the breed of dog they had.And you see that thay from certain groups walking huskies,akitas,rottweillers in their tracksuits or blaze pink outfits. IMO the parents failed in protecting that girl.Certain parts of this society are afraid to call it as it is.It is up to the parents to always think of scenarios to safeguard their kids.

Given the update that the dog didn't belong to the family, this post is an example of why people should hold back on the sh*te talk when they don't have any of the details. We still don't know everything. Best leave the speculation alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

micah537 wrote: »
    I would. I was three years old when we got a puppy GSD. When I was 6 onwards he would be sitting beside me watching TV or outside playing football with me. The yorkie and lab we had were a hell of a lot rougher. I was never once knocked or hurt by the GSD.

Would I leave my current GSD anywhere near a baby or 2 year old unsupervised? Absolutely not, nor any other type dog, but I would have no problem with her outside with a 5+ kid.

My brother has three kids and three GSDs, and while the youngest (2 years old) will get to pet them he would never be left alone with any of them, it is no big deal for the 6 and 8 year old to be playing football or playing outside with the three of them.

There seems to be a lot of people who never owned a certain type dog, but are absolute experts on them.

It’s because people aren’t experts that they practice caution, surely? A “when in doubt, don’t take the risk” type thing. There’s no downside to that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

About 1,600 children were hospitalised due to dog bites between 1998 and 2013.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dangerous-dogs-alert-after-50-rise-in-hospitalisations-study-1.2188148

Your statement of "2 or 3 dogs have snapped on children in Ireland in the past ten years" is nothing but nonsense.

Unfortunately this is happening all to often now and I'll world wide. This is just a few reports.

Today woman in Australia killed by 3 dogs she was looking after.

Saturday Norway - 1 year old boy visiting family when then families 2 dogs killed him.

Friday UK - Inquest found Keira Ladlow, 21 was killed by a dog her brother bought for her to help with emotional problems.

03 April UK - 85 year old woman attacked and killed in her own garden by the neighbours dogs.

20 May Irish Courts - award woman €121k after dog attack

17 May Irish Courts - award girl €175 after dog attack

21st March US - 1 year old killed by dog because it got to close to its bowl.

30 March Northern Ireland Courts - Man attacked by Akita when out walking.

30 March Sligo - child attacked by dog and rushed to hospital.

12 december 2020 Clonsilla - Boys gets face badly damaged from dog attack

2 march 2020 Dublin - 8 Year old boy killed by 2 Rottweilers

A number of cases recently in the Irish courts over dog attacks as well. Then add in all the dog attacks on farm animals.

I don't know but I think something needs to be done regarding dog ownership. Many people are getting them for "emotional support" or getting them as accessories but they don't know how to treat or train a dog properly. They get them and then they treat them like children and then when they do something wrong like bite, jump on people etc they make excuses and say stuff like "Oh it's harmless", "He's just saying hello" or "it's in their nature". There is this dog nutter culture that cannot seem to understand that a dog is an animal not a furbaby but an animal that can maim and kill.
    I saw one post today say poor dog and kid and others having a fit over mentioning the dog will probably be put down. If a wild animal attacks and kills a person that animal is put down, no questions asked. Yet if a dog attacks and kills a person there is a debate, why?

Even the HSE has a page on dogs
    https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/child-health/pets-and-child-safety/dogs-risks-to-your-childs-health.html"

No dog is 100% safe. Your child's safety is a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

spookwoman wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is happening all to often now and I'll world wide. This is just a few reports.

Today woman in Australia killed by 3 dogs she was looking after.

Saturday Norway - 1 year old boy visiting family when then families 2 dogs killed him.

Friday UK - Inquest found Keira Ladlow, 21 was killed by a dog her brother bought for her to help with emotional problems.

03 April UK - 85 year old woman attacked and killed in her own garden by the neighbours dogs.

20 May Irish Courts - award woman €121k after dog attack

17 May Irish Courts - award girl €175 after dog attack

21st March US - 1 year old killed by dog because it got to close to its bowl.

30 March Northern Ireland Courts - Man attacked by Akita when out walking.

30 March Sligo - child attacked by dog and rushed to hospital.

12 december 2020 Clonsilla - Boys gets face badly damaged from dog attack

2 march 2020 Dublin - 8 Year old boy killed by 2 Rottweilers

A number of cases recently in the Irish courts over dog attacks as well. Then add in all the dog attacks on farm animals.

I don't know but I think something needs to be done regarding dog ownership. Many people are getting them for "emotional support" or getting them as accessories but they don't know how to treat or train a dog properly. They get them and then they treat them like children and then when they do something wrong like bite, jump on people etc they make excuses and say stuff like "Oh it's harmless", "He's just saying hello" or "it's in their nature". There is this dog nutter culture that cannot seem to understand that a dog is an animal not a furbaby but an animal that can maim and kill.
    I saw one post today say poor dog and kid and others having a fit over mentioning the dog will probably be put down. If a wild animal attacks and kills a person that animal is put down, no questions asked. Yet if a dog attacks and kills a person there is a debate, why?

Even the HSE has a page on dogs
    https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/child-health/pets-and-child-safety/dogs-risks-to-your-childs-health.html"

No dog is 100% safe. Your child's safety is a priority

Of course you need to be able to handle and control your dog. But not just a dog I might add. A lot of the cases you list are very different to the one the thread is about.

Do you realise how annoying and frustrating it is to keep telling children and their parents that they can’t just run over and touch your dog when you are out walking them? It’s the same excuses actually that irresponsible dog owners display: “oh he/ she just wanted to say hello and play”.

How do you react when someone runs up behind you and grabs you? I’d most certainly punch the “attacker” and can’t see why a dog would react differently.

The child can’t know this if it isn’t taught and that’s their parents job to do while it’s the dog owners to do the same with their animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

unkel wrote: »
    They are very strong for such a small dog. And more aggressive (the owners would call it playful) naturally than any other dog breed I have ever come across. And you are right, they are on the list. The only small dog on the list.

Why do you keep insisting that staffies are small dogs? They're not, they're a medium sized breed.

They aren't usually aggressive towards people, but may be dog reactive. They are actually known as the nanny dog due to their temperament with people.

Unfortunately if you consider what bull breeds were originally bred for, they needed not to bite the handler whilst fighting.

Just to be clear, I am.not advocating leaving any dog alone with a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Of course you need to be able to handle and control your dog. But not just a dog I might add. A lot of the cases you list are very different to the one the thread is about.
    Every one of those people were attacked by a dog, it does not matter if they were killed or not they were attacked.
    Do you realise how annoying and frustrating it is to keep telling children and their parents that they can’t just run over and touch your dog when you are out walking them? It’s the same excuses actually that irresponsible dog owners display: “oh he/ she just wanted to say hello and play”.
    Probably 99% of those cases I listed had nothing to do with kids running over to say hello.
    How do you react when someone runs up behind you and grabs you? I’d most certainly punch the “attacker” and can’t see why a dog would react differently.

The child can’t know this if it isn’t taught and that’s their parents job to do while it’s the dog owners to do the same with their animal.
    Where in those cases does it say that the dogs were provoked and how is it justifiable for a dog to attack / kill anyone, to kill a child?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've deleted almost 30 posts of baseless speculation, outright whataboutery and backseat modding

Drag it off topic again and start victim blaming or bringing the family into this and it will be a forum ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

This is really sad. We have 14 months old baby and super friendly fanily dog but i see now my dog is snaping from time to time. We have to watch 24h . Never trust dogs with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

spookwoman wrote: »
    Every one of those people were attacked by a dog, it does not matter if they were killed or not they were attacked.

Probably 99% of those cases I listed had nothing to do with kids running over to say hello.

Where in those cases does it say that the dogs were provoked and how is it justifiable for a dog to attack / kill anyone, to kill a child?

How am I supposed to answer your questions? Google all of them individually?

I didn’t say that any attack/ maiming was “justifiable”, I pointed out that there is usually a reason why an animal bites. They don’t just do it because they feel like it. You really need context with every case instead of just mass listing examples

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Regardless of the situation a mother and father are grieving today and my heart goes out to them .Its a dreadful tragedy for everyone who knows the family .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

elizunia87 wrote: »
    We have to watch 24h . Never trust dogs with kids.

I see this mentioned a few times in the thread...is it not very tiring having to be on this level of awareness all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Somepeople

How am I supposed to answer your questions? Google all of them individually?

I didn’t say that any attack/ maiming was “justifiable”, I pointed out that there is usually a reason why an animal bites. They don’t just do it because they feel like it. You really need context with every case instead of just mass listing examples

I agree. Some seem to be going with the logic of dog bad, human good.
    The case with the Rottweilers in Dublin is sickening. They were kept as security dogs for a yard, something which I think should be outlawed. These are not normal dogs, they just exist without ever getting the attention they need. The kid managed to get into their enclosure and they mauled him.

I would put more blame on the owners than the dog in this case. They did their job of protecting the yard like their owner wanted, problem was it was the owners kid. These yard security dogs are not the same a pets who are used to children.

A farmer near us growing up, had mental issues, he would lock the door of a shed and kick the living daylights out of his border collie. They would eventually bite him and get shot. Again I would blame the owner in this scenario.

I'm not suggesting dogs should be trusted, but there can be a reason they bite. On the other hand some dogs can be aggressive/evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Look. The dog should never have had access to the sleeping child. That’s the failure...

You are aware that you have a dog and a child on the premises. All you have to do is close the door of the bedroom where the child is. If you want as you should to monitor your baby, you can have... a baby monitor... simple.

But close the fûcking door of the bedroom...it’s not difficult...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

unkel wrote: »

A staffy is not considered a small dog, it's a medium sized dog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

statto25 wrote: »
    I see this mentioned a few times in the thread...is it not very tiring having to be on this level of awareness all the time?

There are many elements of parenting that are tiring, we still have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

From what I’ve read this morning, the dog wasn’t even theirs and it was downstairs, came up at 2am to the kids room and attacked. Jesus Christ that is horrific. RIP.

• Advertisement

I should have said deaths that is what I meant, most of them bites are minor and also the stats do not show other mitigating factors, the point I was making is people saying they would not let their children play with their dogs unsupervised is absolutely ridiculous not letting your child out the back garden to play with their dog without supervision.

What? All 1,600 of those dog bites lead to hospitalisation. Those were serious dog bites. If those dog bites were at the neck rather than where they occurred, they could have lead to death.

And yes, we don't know the mitigating factors. We don't know how many of those attacks would have lead to deaths if an adult did not intervene after hearing screams. We don't know how many more dog attacks would have lead to hospitalizations if an adult did not intervene in time. We don't know how many dog attacks would have lead to deaths if the child did not manage to run away.

Don't try and sweep it under a rug. There are many dog owners in this thread who either believe 1) "my dog has never hurt anyone so far, so he would never hurt a child if left alone with him" or 2) "I own breed X and my dog wouldn't hurt a fly. Therefore anyone who has a breed X dog should feel perfectly fine leaving their child alone with their dog." Both of those beliefs are incredibly wrong and that way of thinking is likely what lead to many of those hospitalisations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement