Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 month old baby killed by dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Exactly, but as you can see dog needs to be put down asap.

No I meant I hope no one will make any judgement at all either way . Not I nor you know the circumstances so we cannot judge whether the dog should or indeed should not be put down . Maybe he should maybe he shouldn’t I wasnt there to judge

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Exactly, but as you can see dog needs to be put down asap.

I’d imagine it would have been already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No I meant I hope no one will make any judgement at all either way . Not I nor you know the circumstances so we cannot judge whether the dog should or indeed should not be put down . Maybe he should maybe he shouldn’t I wasnt there to judge

Christ I know. Poster I responded too suggested dog needs to be put down asap. Kind of agree with that, but the way it's posted is fcùked up. Don't you think so.

People on this thread are jumping to conclusions without knowing any background. And sure they right, cuz whatever. It's the same with my posts, like come on, any of the posters knows my dog? Nope. Any of the posters knows my kids? Nope. Any of the posters entitled to give me lessons in parenting or call me a fool, just because I have 18 years old photograph of my son and the dog? I don't think so. Any of the posters owns the dogs? Probably, some, will I be wrong to say extreme minority? But woohoo jump the bus and say yeah guys I never let my dogs around kids etc. Yeah right.

Aand sorry, end of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Christ I know. Poster I responded too suggested dog needs to be put down asap. Kind of agree with that, but the way it's posted is fcùked up. Don't you think so.
    People on this thread are jumping to conclusions without knowing any background. And sure they right, cuz whatever. It's the same with my posts, like come on, any of the posters knows my dog? Nope. Any of the posters knows my kids? Nope. Any of the posters entitled to give me lessons in parenting or call me a fool, just because I have 18 years old photograph of my son and the dog? I don't think so. Any of the posters owns the dogs? Probably, some, will I be wrong to say extreme minority? But woohoo jump the bus and say yeah guys I never let my dogs around kids etc. Yeah right.
    Aand sorry, end of rant.

I posted that the dog should be put down asap what is wrong with saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

But woohoo jump the bus and say yeah guys I never let my dogs around kids etc. Yeah right.

I don't think anyone is saying that. It's that they don't leave their dog around their kid unsupervised. There's a difference. Whether a dog is well trained or not, they need to be under your control in the presence of a child who cannot defend itself. That can't be achieved by leaving them unsupervised. A dog that isn't under your supervision is not under your control, no matter how good it is at walking to heel or giving the paw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I worked in an animal shelter and can tell you we had more bites from labs, poodles and cocker spaniels (especially cockers) than pit bulls! Just the smaller dogs bites are less likely to kill.

Cockers are a well known breed for idiopathic rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

We probably all know someone who has been bitten by a dog. I know several.

They can be dangerous animals.

It's also very unhygienic having them around. Every day you see people walking a dog who urinate at every lamppost or wherever. It's remarkable how it's normal to live in cities where dogs urinate everywhere. That is then evaporating into the air and its quite constant with the amount of dogs around. There is also no shortage of those who don't pick up their dogs excrement. These things are bad enough without the added physical dangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Aand sorry, end of rant.

Well I am very sorry if it upsets you but you posted a picture of a very small baby and a dog . Its a forum so people made a judgement on what they saw and what you indeed wrote . Personally speaking I too think no dog ever should be left in a room with a baby unsupervised . I dont care what dog or whos dog or who is upset by this . I worked in paeds A and E and dog bites were very common and the common theme was
    “ oh we never thought our lovely gentle dog would do this “

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I posted that the dog should be put down asap what is wrong with saying that?

Absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Mirror reporting that it wasn't the family dog but belonged to a guest.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well I am very sorry if it upsets you but you posted a picture of a very small baby and a dog . Its a forum so people made a judgement on what they saw and what you indeed wrote . Personally speaking I too think no dog ever should be left in a room with a baby unsupervised . I dont care what dog or whos dog or who is upset by this . I worked in paeds A and E and dog bites were very common and the common theme was
    “ oh we never thought our lovely gentle dog would do this “

No, it's fine. Just a rant of my own.

Locotastic wrote: »

God....

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

spurious wrote: »
    Even our dopey dog, who rarely as much as scratches himself, showed what I considered too much interest in a friend's baby. I would not leave any dog alone with a child.
    I feel so sorry for the child obviously but also for the parents, who no matter how well or not well they made arrangements for the child's safety, do not deserve this.

Me neither. Well, babies. Not worth the risk. I worry that dogs don't see babies as humans and think of them as some other little animal. They look quite morphologically different from even four or five year old kids. So I worry that even dogs that like humans might not be safe around babies. And I have no interest in testing that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

If the dog was unfamiliar with the baby, it may have thought the baby was just a toy. Absolute tragic circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Terrible tragedy.

Wouldn't let any dog near a baby, supervised or not. It only takes one moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What guest or even relative brings a dog or any animal to a house with a new baby

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Judgmental idiocy in some of these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

My condolences to the family. But does this really need such scrutiny from the media....RTE sending cameras to the house and will probably do the same for the funeral. An Irish obession with tragedy and death.

It's no doubt awful time for the family. Having the whole country focusing on them won't help their grief. I certainly wouldn't want it if it were in my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Very sad to hear about this. I have two dogs and I love them but I would never leave them alone with a child. A dog is a dog no matter what its breed or size or how well its trained or it behaves they are still a dog and still have there natural instincts. This dog never have been able to get to that child by itself.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

AMKC wrote: »
    Very sad to hear about this. I have two dogs and I love them but I would never leave them alone with a child. A dog is a dog no matter what its breed or size or how well its trained or it behaves they are still a dog and still have there natural instincts. This dog never have been able to get to that child by itself.

Wouldn't leave them alone with a child? A baby I could understand but not a child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Horrorific, wouldn't trust any dog with babies especially those bread for fighting. Tough lesson learned. RIP

Apparently the dog responsible was not on the dangerous dogs list

But, regardless: any type dog alone with a baby is a risk..

crazy 88 wrote: »
    My condolences to the family. But does this really need such scrutiny from the media....RTE sending cameras to the house and will probably do the same for the funeral. An Irish obession with tragedy and death.

It's no doubt awful time for the family. Having the whole country focusing on them won't help their grief. I certainly wouldn't want it if it were in my family.
    So true. They even interviewed a "local woman in a playground who shook her head sadly". Terrible voyeurism really.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I haven't read the post, however I believe without equivocation that no dog should ever be left alone with a young child, no matter what the circumstances.

guy2231 wrote: »
    Wouldn't leave them alone with a child? A baby I could understand but not a child

At what point is a child physically strong enough to fend off a dog, or old and sensible enough to know how not to provoke it inadvertently?

This post isn’t making sense to me..

A child is 0-12 or so? Proper child..

Depends on the child, the dog type etc..

You’d have to be clearer here with an example..

Antares35 wrote: »
    At what point is a child physically strong enough to fend off a dog, or old and sensible enough to know how not to provoke it inadvertently?

Never heard of a child not being able to be left alone with a dog seems very overly protective unless you have some viscious pit bulls.

Can your child not even go into the back garden unless you accompany him?

I could understand your average 7/8/9 year olds alone with a quite small dog..

It’s all about the type child and type dog..

Just saying child and dog with no context is pointless..

Never heard of a child not being able to be left alone with a dog seems very overly protective unless you have some viscious pit bulls.

Can your child not even go into the back garden unless you accompany him?

My child is a year old. What does a back garden have to do with a dog anyway?

walshb wrote: »
    I could understand your average 7/8/9 year olds alone with a quite small dog..

It’s all about the type child and type dog..

Just saying child and dog with no context is pointless..

I don't know exactly people on here seem very overly protective, when I was growing up we all played with our dogs freely no one parents or children were worried about our dogs suddenly deciding to murder us.

Then again we also used to play outside freely which nowadays doesn't seem to be a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Splish Splash

Did you meet many unaccompanied mastiffs/pitbulls/huskies/dobermanns/rottweilers while you were out playing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement