Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine effectiveness antibody test

Options
  • 08-06-2021 1:03am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a family member who falls into the immunosuppressed category and wants to get an antibody test once fully vaccinated. I know that antibodies are only one part of measuring the vaccine, but waned to know if anybody has taken these type of tests and how are they reported?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I had an antibodies test last week. It's a blood test. They measure the antibodies in units per ml. The readable range is from 4 u/ml to 2500 u/ml. Mine was 2500. The higher the better. I've had covid and a first vaccine shot, so I was expecting it to be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

When you want to do an antibody test to determine the effectiveness of the vaccination, it's important to tell the lab that this is your intention.

After a Coronavirus infection, there are antibodies against the spike protein, and antibodies against the nucleocapsid.

After a Coronavirus vaccination, there are antibodies against the spike protein.

Meaning, if a lab does an antibody test for the nucleocapsid, it may come out negative, even if the vaccination successfully produced antibodies.

Source link (German).

Advertisement