Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old baby killed by dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,972 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FutureGuy wrote: »
    you let a rottweiler run up to strangers.

And you don't see an issue.

The my dog wouldn’t harm a fly mentality is sadly all too prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

guy2231 wrote: »
    All this rubbish about dogs being unsafe around kids, ask yourself this when was the last time a child was killed by a house dog in Ireland?

Possibly decades I couldn't find anything at all online about a child being killed by a dog in Ireland for a very long time apart from stray dogs who killed them on the street, this one case puts the s**** on everyone without good reason.

The point is it can occur. Most people are careful for this reason.

The argument you are using is similar to an argument that pro-gun people in America say 'Gun's don't kill people, people do'.

--

I like dogs but appreciate that the animal can be dangerous, particularly around young children.

There is a reason why there is is legislation such as the control of dogs act 1986 Act or the 1998 Act for dangerous breeds

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/enacted/en/print#sec22

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1998/si/442/made/en/print

Plus the article below gives statistics on dog bites

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/lifestyle/dog-bites-up-by-over-20-in-ireland-in-15-years-31193661.html

Also I have heard of people giving their dog away when a baby is born in the house. Common sense.

Personally I would view 5 and up as the proper age for people to get a puppy the child grows with the puppy etc. So by the time the dog is mature the child is 7-8 years of age and it is safer - plus a bond is formed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Safety gate for a Labrador. Sure they'd just hop over them if they were that way inclined.

You'd need full height if there's such a thing. Wouldn't be relying on a standard safety gate anyway.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Absolute horse****.

Any dog can be vicious if it's mistreated, it's not exclusive to rottweilers or pitbulls.
    Any rotties I've encountered have been absolute teddy bears that just want to be rubbed constantly. Same with pitbulls and most large dogs if the owners are actually competent and treat them well.

Just an observation:

Even dogs that are treated brilliantly can turn vicious..

Owners need to simply always think: my dog could turn. And knowing this, take steps to ensure people are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

All this rubbish about dogs being unsafe around kids, ask yourself this when was the last time a child was killed by a house dog in Ireland?

Possibly decades I couldn't find anything at all online about a child being killed by a dog in Ireland for a very long time apart from stray dogs who killed them on the street, this one case puts the s**** on everyone without good reason.
    You're right about some of the comments here, eg nobody should have a dog and small children. That is ridiculous.

This case sounds like a freak tragedy (based on what's reported in the media). The "mistake" if there was one, could be as little as not closing the baby's bedroom door properly. Anyone could have done that. The idea that nobody should mind someone else's dog for a night is mad as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

You're right. It's extremely sad and seems like the kind of thing that should never happen, and it almost never does.

The vast majority of dogs, even the ones on the restricted list, will never do something like this. Some will growl or even snap at a toddler who doesn't respect it's space properly, but many won't even do that. A 3 month old isn't even going to be pulling at the dog, for a dog to just maul a baby in the middle of the night is just extremely bizarre and tragic.

It is frightening to read about for anyone with children to be sure, but really it is so rare for a fatal dog attack to occur on a child in their home or for a dog to attack a child of such young age, that it really is practically unheard of. It does make you want to know a lot more detail about the circumstances in which it happened as morbid as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

grassylawn wrote: »
    The three-month-old was in a bed in the terraced house when the dog went upstairs at around 2am and attacked her.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40307891.html

That's chilling tbh.

The poor child and parents :(

It seems the dog was simply not secured. Was able to roam in the house. Roamed upstairs and happened upon that poor little baby..

Unless I am missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

walshb wrote: »
    Just an observation:

Owners need to simply always think: my dog could turn. And knowing this, take steps to ensure people are safe.

It's definitely a possibility, but there's always some sort of trigger to cause it.
    Any competent large dog owner should always make sure the dog is under control around people, on a lead, in a pen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Folks are missing the point..

Simple: IF a Rottweiler turns, they can do serious damage to a person, never mind a child/baby..

Same for many other medium to large dogs..

And some quite small dogs can be dangerous to babies and small children..

Any dog, irrelevant of the size, can do serious damage to a 3 month old. The breed, in this case, would be totally irrelevant.
    My brother was permanently disfigured from an accidental bite off a 14 week old terrier pup - my folks learned the hard way about supervision between children and animals at all times.

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Any dog, irrelevant of the size, can do serious damage to a 3 month old. The breed, in this case, would be totally irrelevant.
    My brother was permanently disfigured from an accidental bite off a 14 week old terrier pup - my folks learned the hard way about supervision between children and animals at all times.

I know this..

My points related to context etc. Was debating dogs and children in general..

Yes, of course, any type dog can do real damage to a baby..as my last sentence alludes to.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

So, your 7/8/9 year old alone with a large powerful dog like say a Rottweiler or Alsatian..

I would. I was three years old when we got a puppy GSD. When I was 6 onwards he would be sitting beside me watching TV or outside playing football with me. The yorkie and lab we had were a hell of a lot rougher. I was never once knocked or hurt by the GSD.

Would I leave my current GSD anywhere near a baby or 2 year old unsupervised? Absolutely not, nor any other type dog, but I would have no problem with her outside with a 5+ kid.

My brother has three kids and three GSDs, and while the youngest (2 years old) will get to pet them he would never be left alone with any of them, it is no big deal for the 6 and 8 year old to be playing football or playing outside with the three of them.

There seems to be a lot of people who never owned a certain type dog, but are absolute experts on them.

micah537 wrote: »
    I would. I was three years old when we got a puppy GSD. When I was 6 onwards he would be sitting beside me watching TV or outside playing football with me. The yorkie and lab we had were a hell of a lot rougher. I was never once knocked or hurt by the GSD.

Would I leave my current GSD anywhere near a baby or 2 year old unsupervised? Absolutely not, nor any other type dog, but I would have no problem with her outside with a 5+ kid.

My brother has three kids and three GSDs, and while the youngest (2 years old) will get to pet them he would never be left alone with any of them, it is no big deal for the 6 and 8 year old to be playing football or playing outside with the three of them.

There seems to be a lot of people who never owned a certain type dog, but are absolute experts on them.

You seem to be suggesting that Alsatian/Rottweiler can’t/won’t ever turn or attack children aged 5 and above?

I don’t get this..

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

Just an observation:

Although, it really rarely rarely ever happens literally there is as good a chance of you turning as there is a well looked after dog, the point is all this precaution of not letting their children play out the back garden with their dog because of a one in a million chance which the chances can be greatly reduced or highered using your own judgement.

We all played with our dogs when we were young we had big huge back gardens where I lived I never heard of anyone worried about our dogs suddenly deciding to murder us, although times have changed playing outside with your dog is now far too dangerous.

micah537 wrote: »

There is also a lot of people who have owned a certain breed of dog and assumed that, because their dog did not hurt a child, that no dog of that breed could hurt a child. That because they did have that breed of dog, they incorrectly believe that they are experts on that breed in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Any dog, any breed can snap at any moment. We have a small dog, she's loving and protective but I would never fully trust her with our youngest.

Such a sad tragic story

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Most dogs are about as trustworthy as most people, in my opinion. (Probably moreso actually, overall)
    Terrible incident. RIP

Dogs are animals.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

munster87 wrote: »
    Most dogs are about as trustworthy as most people, in my opinion.
    Terrible incident. RIP

Exactly, because 2 or 3 dogs have snapped on children in Ireland in the past ten years people are applying the logic "your dog could snap at any moment this proves it"

Exactly, because 2 or 3 dogs have snapped on children in Ireland in the past ten years people are applying the logic "your dog could snap at any moment this proves it"

About 1,600 children were hospitalised due to dog bites between 1998 and 2013.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dangerous-dogs-alert-after-50-rise-in-hospitalisations-study-1.2188148

Your statement of "2 or 3 dogs have snapped on children in Ireland in the past ten years" is nothing but nonsense.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Ah bollox I just saw the name of the father, I know him from a few years ago, nice fella.

Desperate sad..

Harrowing for all involved.

Also: Imagine the ambulance crew and doctors coming across this..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,051 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    The breed, in this case, would be totally irrelevant.

I disagree.

That said, let's be clear though, dogs are animals, they all have the potential to become aggressive to humans. No dog should have unsupervised access to a baby / small child.

The chance of a dog attacking a human depends to a large extent on the breed. I know this is not something that some dog owners want to hear. From the link that was posted earlier the most common dog to kill a human was a Staffie. That's right, a tiny little dog. And not on the dangerous dog breeds list either.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

This happens more often in England, with many of the cases over there they involve people who shouldn't even be allowed to have the dogs never mind the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Desperate sad..

Harrowing for all involved.

Also: Imagine the ambulance crew and doctors coming across this..

Actually I just found out he's in prison for arson, wow. What a call to get while your in there, ****ing hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

My 2c...

If you asked the average person whether they were a good dog owner, most would say yes. Of them, most would say they could trust their dog.

I don't trust dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

So, your 7/8/9 year old alone with a large powerful dog like say a Rottweiler or Alsatian..

Would that not overly concern you?

I’m just looking for some context to your kind of general:vague point..

By the fact your calling them Alisation probably means you know little about the breed. They're a dog bred to herd and are also very intelligent and quickly realise thier family and become protective of them. It is a terrier or gun dog far more likely to do damage to a baby/kid than a German Shepherd. They're bred to kill.

I would say there is more chance of me winning the lotto than my German Shepherd suddenly attacking a kid within its family. But still I don't leave him around my nieces or nephews unsupervised btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Absolute horse****.

Any dog can be vicious if it's mistreated, it's not exclusive to rottweilers or pitbulls.

Apparently Pitbull type dogs are wayyyyy more likely to attack than any other breed:

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2020.php

2020-dog-bite-fatality-chart@2x.jpg

Yes, any dog can be viscous, but its clear based on statistics that some breeds are far more dangerous than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

A tiny infant died in an awful way and two parents' lives will never be the same again.
    Would people ever stop with the whole
    "I would never......i have never....the parents should have"

Show some compassion.

unkel wrote: »
    I disagree.

That said, let's be clear though, dogs are animals, they all have the potential to become aggressive to humans. No dog should have unsupervised access to a baby / small child.

The chance of a dog attacking a human depends to a large extent on the breed. I know this is not something that some dog owners want to hear. From the link that was posted earlier the most common dog to kill a human was a Staffie. That's right, a tiny little dog. And not on the dangerous dog breeds list either.

Staffies are very strong and are on the restricted breeds list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A tiny infant died in an awful way and two parents' lives will never be the same again.
    Would people ever stop with the whole
    "I would never......i have never....the parents should have"

Show some compassion.

I have only read a small part of this thread.

But the bit I have read people are compassionate. But also people are trying to raise awareness so this type of thing does not happen some other unfortunate family.

The latter is also been emphasised because some people are adamantly claiming that it is a once off etc etc.
    Some posters implying it is been blown out of proportion and so on. As if posters merely mentioning controlling dogs and the fact they can be dangerous is somehow an anti-dog agenda.

If just one family reads this thread and is more careful as a result, it has served a useful purpose.

I sincerely doubt that a family who has lost a 3 month old child in such a manner would be up reading a boards.ie thread now. They would have far more pressing concerns.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement