Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Betting mistake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Hatch1989 wrote: »
    How would applying for a mortgage be affected by a mistake ?

If he is flagged as having an open debt - technically he owes the bookie €1500 - it may end up on his credit score. Unlikely but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

Why not just give them their money back since it belongs to them? If you accidentally overpaid your car repair would you expect them to return it?

I think I’ll give it to charity instead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Interesting.

I don’t know why the account isn’t gone into negative if it’s a thing bookies do?

It went into negative, you got the notice. Then the following day someone came in and had a glance through the negative accounts and decided to put it back to normal. 95% of accounts that go negative would be put back to normal. At least that was the case in the place I worked a while back

If he is flagged as having an open debt - technically he owes the bookie €1500 - it may end up on his credit score. Unlikely but you never know.

How would that be flagged?

A bookie would Contact whom?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It went into negative, you got the notice. Then the following day someone came in and had a glance through the negative accounts and decided to put it back to normal. 95% of accounts that go negative would be put back to normal. At least that was the case in the place I worked a while back

Thanks for the insight.

I wondered as it is mentioned as an “ return discretionary payment” however no negative balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Are bookies not all registered on Gibraltar. They won't get near your bank. Drive her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I think I’ll give it to charity instead

Don't do anything with it until you know they're not looking for it back. At the moment, its theft on your part after a mistake by them. They may just let it go as a goodwill gesture but you should contact them to find out. Just say you got a message on your account and you dont know why, didn't realise the bet had lost etc.

If they let it go, well played. If they want it back, give it back obvs.

Gambling has nothing to do with credit ratings. Over anxious people working in the mortgage depts of banks sometimes look poorly on gambling transactions on the statement when applying. You can gamble 50k a month through other methods (paypal or neteller etc) and it'll never affect you if you keep it off the 6 months of statements the bank request to see when applying for a mortgage

Yep, CCR in Ireland only looks at loan credits > 500 euro from licensed financial institutions. Our credit rating system is nowhere as sophisticated as UK which includes an array of different credit scores variables like mobile phone bills, electrical bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

dobman88 wrote: »
    Don't do anything with it until you know they're not looking for it back. At the moment, its theft on your part after a mistake by them. They may just let it go as a goodwill gesture but you should contact them to find out. Just say you got a message on your account and you dont know why, didn't realise the bet had lost etc.

If they let it go, well played. If they want it back, give it back obvs.

Innocent people died in times of war.

The return discretionary payment was sent at 10pm last night

When I checked my account at 11am this morning not negative

Perhaps it went negative and was put back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Thanks for the insight.

I wondered as it is mentioned as an “ return discretionary payment” however no negative balance.

The discretionary payment is likely the 1500 to return your ac from minus 1500 to zero. Seems strange you'd get a notice about it though.

Either way the money's 100% yours now, do whatever you wish with it. Your account is also now normal for further use. If they didn't want you betting with them anymore your stakes would be restricted to zero or pennies

Fils wrote: »
    Innocent people died in times of war.

Yep. I'm all for hearing of bookies getting bashed and I'd be delighted if this chap was able to keep his winnings but he needs to be sure they're not going to chase him for it. Everyone here saying its grand and drive on is cool and all but they wont be the ones dealing with any consequences if the bookies arent willing to chalk it off.

Just check it out and make sure is all I'm saying before landing yourself with a bill

The discretionary payment is likely the 1500 to return your ac from minus 1500 to zero. Seems strange you'd get a notice about it though.

Either way the money's 100% yours now, do whatever you wish with it. Your account is also now normal for further use. If they didn't want you betting with them anymore your stakes would be restricted to zero or pennies

Ah perhaps ! You’re probably right that’s what it means !

Yep. I'm all for hearing of bookies getting bashed and I'd be delighted if this chap was able to keep his winnings but he needs to be sure they're not going to chase him for it. Everyone here saying its grand and drive on is cool and all but they wont be the ones dealing with any consequences if the bookies arent willing to chalk it off.

Just check it out and make sure is all I'm saying before landing yourself with a bill

Right, I wrote on chat,

They have said that it’s a good will gesture.

They made the mistake, put my account into negative and put it back to 0.

Thankfully I withdrew !

You were spot on !

Right, I wrote on chat,

They have said that it’s a good will gesture.

They made the mistake, put my account into negative and put it back to 0.

Thankfully I withdrew !

Brilliant stuff. Great hit. And fair play for contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It wasn't a bet on John Rahm by any chance

Andrew00 wrote: »
    It wasn't a bet on John Rahm by any chance

No a local fixture !

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ismat

Afaik neither betting gains or losses are legally enforceable. They will definitely never take any action against you expect possibly closing your account

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I recall a time I backed a horse and it won, and it was still available to back on the site, so I backed it again, even though race was finished, then I backed it again and again.
    They never asked for the money back. PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

OP had a bet, bookie settled it as a winner, OP withdrew the winnings, bookie then changed the result to a loser so people are saying OP "owes" them €1500? :confused:
    He owes them nothing, they settled it as a winner and he withdrew the cash.
    Bookie would never come after him looking for the money as it was their mistake and they have now said they have settled it as a GWG so he's clear :D.
    Enjoy the windfall.

If that ever happens to anybody, always lodge a small amount back into the account and see what happens to the balance.
    If they take it and reduce the debit balance, then close the account.
    If they leave it, it's either they hope the account holder wins the amount owing and use the win to cover it but they would have a major problem with the negative PR to follow or they may write it off and forget all about it.
    Bookies are making enough money these days to cover a mistake.
    Assume there were others on the wrong result as well so it may have cost the bookie a lot more.

If it's local sport, I'd guess it's PP.
    They used to get done by players for local teams putting up incorrect results on social media or posting different kick off times and collecting before it was noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

If your betting 1500 then they will think they will get it back and some more

They are taken limited bets from
    Me as it is so hopefully get another few weeks out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

He's not betting 1500, he won 1500, BIG difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

They cant come chasing after him for it either way. Precedent set already in a case we both know well...

https://www.algoodbody.com/insights-publications/high-court-rules-uk-judgment-for-gambling-debt-is-unenforceable-in-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Yes within 4 hours of withdrawing

That’s quick usually takes 48 hrs ? . Happened me last year but lot smaller amount around €70 . They wrote it off as an error but said if it happens again in future they would be looking for refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

€1500?

I thought the op said it was a large amount.

That's pittance

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Darc19 wrote: »
    €1500?

I thought the op said it was a large amount.

That's pittance

Every amount means different things to different people. If theres one thing I've learnt over the years in the gambling sphere its that its the Billy Big Balls loudmouth types who are generally shot out the back door first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Dice75 wrote: »
    Every amount means different things to different people. If theres one thing I've learnt over the years in the gambling sphere its that its the Billy Big Balls loudmouth types who are generally shot out the back door first.

I'm saying it's pittance to the bookies.

I thought it was €10-15,000 which would almost certainly have been looked for. That's how the posts sounded

But €1500 would probably be written off as an error and hopefully the punter would give it back in losing bets.

I wouldn't be losing sleep over it wondering what they will do.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity I see in paddy power If you win €2000 or over you are to be asked for ID. Why is this?

Advertisement