Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Betting mistake

Options
  • 07-06-2021 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Placed a bet the weekend.
    Bet lost.
    But I was paid out as a winner.

Withdrew the money and hours later the bet was marked as a loss.

I have deposited money since and it hasn’t been taken from me however I have notice saying : Return a discretionary payment with reference to their mistake.

Has this happened anyone before?
    What has been the outcome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Your account will be debited the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Drive on their mistake. Was it a big payout?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

Fils wrote: »
    Drive on their mistake. Was it a big payout?

Well a big single bet

Account is in credit at the moment as I placed €10 into it after to see....

Your account will be debited the amount.

A friend said my account my go into negative.

But it hasn’t.

They have your card details, check their terms, the house never loses..... They will definitely get the money back off you. Unless you close everything and run away

• Advertisement

Hatch1989 wrote: »
    A friend said my account my go into negative.

But it hasn’t.

They ain't going to just take 10, your account will be frozen, I'd recommend putting it back and definitely do not spend it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

They have your card details, check their terms, the house never loses..... They will definitely get the money back off you. Unless you close everything and run away

So, not definetly :D

I am willing to close the account with the amount at stake.

Although the fact it hasn’t gone into the negative makes me wonder would they take it back off me if I deposited the full amount!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Well a big single bet

Account is in credit at the moment as I placed €10 into it after to see....

What's a big single bet?

To me it's €1,000, to someone else it's €25,000 and to someone else it's €100.

Darc19 wrote: »
    What's a big single bet?

To me it's €1,000, to someone else it's €25,000 and to someone else it's €100.

€1500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I am willing to close the account with the amount at stake.

Although the fact it hasn’t gone into the negative makes me wonder would they take it back off me if I deposited the full amount!

You know it's an error. They can look at legal action.

A bank accidentally put about €20,000 into someone's account a few years ago, she went wild spending it and did not engage.

She got suspended custodial sentence

Here's a few more

http://www.cearta.ie/2017/01/you-cant-keep-the-proceeds-of-a-bank-error-in-your-favour-and-if-you-do-you-probably-wont-be-able-to-get-out-of-jail-free/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

They cant take the money back off your card without your permission .

I'd leave the account alone and see what they do , l wouldn't risk depositing into the account.

Darc19 wrote: »
    You know it's an error. They can look at legal action.

A bank accidentally put about €20,000 into someone's account a few years ago, she went wild spending it and did not engage.

She got custodial sentence earlier this year.

I’ll wait for them to engage so.
    Where the adjustment is I wouldn’t have seen it if I didn’t look for it.

I have received no email from them either.
    I’ll see if they contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

The house has enough taken off you. Balancing the books now. Nice win op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Have the funds actually hit your bank account yet?

Have the funds actually hit your bank account yet?

Yes within 4 hours of withdrawing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If your accounts not in negative it's grand you're back to normal. It would've went into negative and that's prob when you got the notice but a decision has to be taken on whether to leave in negative or not and yours was obviously put back to normal. Play away

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    If your accounts not in negative it's grand you're back to normal. It would've went into negative and that's prob when you got the notice but a decision has to be taken on whether to leave in negative or not and yours was obviously put back to normal. Play away

Yeah, surprised it didn’t go into the negative. They must think they’ll get it back soon enough anyway haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I don't think there's anything they can do .

Cancel your card, ignore your account and enjoy the winnings.

• Advertisement

Yes cancelling the account might nip it on bud

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

If OP sees this through does it impact credit rating for mortgage applications etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Happened me recently with a horse bet, checked account and money was there so withdrew. Jockey forgot to weigh in so horse was disqualified about 30 mins later. Got an email from them later that day to say my account was in negative balance. I genuinely didnt know about the horse being disqualified when withdrawing but told them they cannot have a gambling account in negative balance so they manually corrected it. Slightly different circumstances than a bookie error I guess but still.

Why would you cancel your card. The bookie isn't going to deposit from your card without your permission

The seems to be a bit of paranoia here around bookmakers. They don't have a young lad sitting there monitoring the account and then as soon as the OP deposits a few hundred quid the young lad takes it and says "lovely boss we got a bit of it back from him".

They might have shady practices but they're still held to very high regulatory standards. They can't take money from a customer once it's been taken out. If you deposit again it'll still be there an hour later or a month later

If OP sees this through does it impact credit rating for mortgage applications etc?

How would applying for a mortgage be affected by a mistake ?

Dice75 wrote: »
    Happened me recently with a horse bet, checked account and money was there so withdrew. Jockey forgot to weigh in so horse was disqualified about 30 mins later. Got an email from them later that day to say my account was in negative balance. I genuinely didnt know about the horse being disqualified when withdrawing but told them they cannot have a gambling account in negative balance so they manually corrected it. Slightly different circumstances than a bookie error I guess but still.

Interesting.

I don’t know why the account isn’t gone into negative if it’s a thing bookies do?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why would you cancel your card. The bookie isn't going to deposit from your card without your permission

The seems to be a bit of paranoia here around bookmakers. They don't have a young lad sitting there monitoring the account and then as soon as the OP deposits a few hundred quid the young lad takes it and says "lovely boss we got a bit of it back from him".

They might have shady practices but they're still held to very high regulatory standards. They can't take money from a customer once it's been taken out. If you deposit again it'll still be there an hour later or a month later

True, there is much bigger fish than me I’m sure !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seaninbayarea

Why not just give them their money back since it belongs to them? If you accidentally overpaid your car repair would you expect them to return it?

Gambling has nothing to do with credit ratings. Over anxious people working in the mortgage depts of banks sometimes look poorly on gambling transactions on the statement when applying. You can gamble 50k a month through other methods (paypal or neteller etc) and it'll never affect you if you keep it off the 6 months of statements the bank request to see when applying for a mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Interesting.

I don’t know why the account isn’t gone into negative if it’s a thing bookies do?

They can do it as per my case but I guess its not a good look should it be made public.

Advertisement