Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scam text messages USP, An Post, DPD...

• 30-03-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I received a text and separately my friend received an email linking to an An Post "clone" webpage (different tracking numbers). Trying to get us to pay to have parcels released. It looks legitbut neither of us fell for it. I'm letting people know, as if you were waiting on an important delivery, you might just pay up.
    It's mad to think they have my phone number, and I've read online that there was allegedly a suspected data breach at An Post a while back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just got a text from +507600784803 claiming that an An Post delivery has been held at their depot and click on a link to resolve the issue . +507 comes up as Panama so I'm assuming it's a scam and haven't opened the link, usually when I get texts from An Post it says An Post and not a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MrFireCoalMan

Got one just this minute myself, but from something labelled AUTHMSG. About a delivery being held at depot, click link to resolve. Scam that's been doing the rounds for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

roper1664 wrote: »
    I received a text and separately my friend received an email linking to an An Post "clone" webpage (different tracking numbers). Trying to get us to pay to have parcels released. It looks legitbut neither of us fell for it. I'm letting people know, as if you were waiting on an important delivery, you might just pay up.
    It's mad to think they have my phone number, and I've read online that there was allegedly a suspected data breach at An Post a while back.

Got that one bout 10 days ago, wife got it the week before but said nothing to me. I had been waiting on a delivery but the numbers did not match up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Del2005 wrote: »

Good to see they've put something up now.
    I contacted An Post on the 24th and hadn't heard back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I received this email into my spam folder today :

Dear valued Customer,

Due to the issues detailed below, we have been unsuccessful in the delivery of parcel number.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Further action must now be taken.
    There is missing or incomplete information on the waybill provided.
    In this case, the missing details are the phone number.

What happens next?
    Your parcel was returned to our local depot, where it will remain for the next two working days.
    From here, you can provide us with additional contact information for this parcel for redelivery by clicking here. This will incur an additional delivery fee.

Alternatively, we can arrange for a delivery to an alternative address. However, this will still require you to supply us with a phone number for the waybill.
    >> You can provide this information to us here.

If you would like to pick up your parcel, you can collect it from "Unit 53 Dakota Ave, Airways Industrial Estate" within those two days in order to avoid the cost of redelivery.
    If you need to contact us directly about this delivery attempt, please get in touch with us by using our contact form.

I x'd out the package number but when I went to their main website and put it into tracking its telling me to please enter a valid number, I've ordered stuff online but its coming through fast way and an post, I've other stuff due but I'm not too sure which courier is bringing it. I find it a bit odd that they want a fee for additional information, In this case a phone number.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

Moderators please place this in appropriate forum. Just got SMS text message from UPS with a link "item held for customs payment" This is a scam message I contacted UPS and they are aware of it, the tracking number used is UPS 016448296GB

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

hazchem wrote: »
    Moderators please place this in appropriate forum. Just got SMS text message from UPS with a link "item held for customs payment" This is a scam message I contacted UPS and they are aware of it, the tracking number used is UPS 016448296GB

This scam has become more prevalent recently. It's quite well presented and easy to be taken in by.

Good thread here: https://twitter.com/etienneshrdlu/status/1330462276625850373?s=08

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from Bargain Alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Just got the text, have been waiting on a few ebay deliveries and they are delayed for some reason so without thinking I clicked on the link in the text and the UPS site is very well presented, says there is €2 customs fees to be paid and requests details, obviously you get stung not only on bank details but also a lot of personal information which could be far worse in the long run as far as identity theft is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just a heads up about this. Nor much online yet but SMS from something called EireVerify is doing the rounds - message states that

"your parcel has been held at our shipping centre. Please follow instructions below [shortened URL link here]"

I received this an hour after taking a parcel from DPD, curiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

Just got the EireVerify scam SMS this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

Just a heads up about this. Nor much online yet but SMS from something called EireVerify is doing the rounds - message states that

"your parcel has been held at our shipping centre. Please follow instructions below [shortened URL link here]"

I received this an hour after taking a parcel from DPD, curiously.
    hazchem wrote: »
    Just got the EireVerify scam SMS this morning

Got it yesterday but from 'EireSMS' : -

"We have received your order and it is now ready to be forwarded to your address. Follow the instructions here: http:// r8c.me /*#*xx "
    ^^^ Not the actual link.

Lead to a fake UPS page yesterday, same link ended up on fake TNT page today. Requesting a nominal custom fee.

Didn't click the links on mobile, checked them in a private window on laptop.

Text marked as spam, blocked and reported.

https://twitter.com/Brownemint/status/1358716746056806403

Check bogus url's here: - https://urlscan.io/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Received a text message from a standard 087 number today asking me to pay a €2.99 fee on the following site
    https://anpost.com.deliveryfees.co/

Website looks very realistic but looks a scam not being a .ie domain. It asks for card details but doesn't detail the amount when you login.

Anyone else see something similar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Got a scam text today claiming to be from DHL with a link. Message deleted and number blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Got email scam last night.

555106.png

Pity Anpost have no facility to report/forward such emails to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

joujoujou wrote: »
    Got email scam last night.

555106.png

Pity Anpost have no facility to report/forward such emails to them.

They are well aware of this. If they had a reporting feature it would make no difference as thousands of these emails go out.
    Some with an post logo, some with DPD, some with DHL, some with ups etc

The media and gardai and the service providers have repeatedly done press releases on these scams

https://www.anpost.com/Media-Centre/News/A-fresh-wave-of-phishing-scams,-aimed-at-tricking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I done my homework, I know they're aware. But reporting scam is the only way to at least attempt to shut the scammer down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

This is a text I got on Friday, scam DHL message, also got 3, 216 prefix calls from Tunisia, first time for courier scam message

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

I got an Urgent: Package Redelivery Notice email today but it is dated Friday, 29 March, 2022 !!! I should send them a calendar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Had a similar one a while back. Reported it to the hosting company running the server and they shut it down fairly quick

anpost.ie-postal-fee.com was the domain

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Got one today saying to go to anpost-item.com saying the package was held by courier as they couldn't get in touch with me.

The domain name was only registered today, looks like an attempt to cash in on Prime Day. Actually received genuine text earlier today and the scam one was as per usual in the same thread.

Expires On

2023-07-13

Registered On

2022-07-13

Updated On

2022-07-13

No other domains on that IP apparently. At least not popular ones so maybe the server was set up just for that. Worth popping a mail to abuse at spectraip.nl with the link u got to see will they remove it.

M

Will do, it's fairly well set up, had a look on it on a 'test' laptop I have, they look for credit/debit card details for a minimal shipping fee amount of €1.90 to entice you to share your payment details easily, and then from that can let loose with your details. They have filtering to check for legit credit/debit card number formatting so not just capturing random 16 numbers. Sending it out on Prime Day was a step ahead, they are upping their game all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The credit card number check is fairly simple to implement. I've done it myself on a project in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhn_algorithm

M

Got another text saying to go to anpost-postalfee-acc.com

• Advertisement

Hosted by cherry servers in Lithuania like the one I had, am after mailing them again

Edit: They're on de ball ! server down already as far as I can tell.

Post edited by Ubbquittious on

Advertisement