Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on this car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

How can you expect an opinion when there's no pictures of the car :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Is that you Martin Cuffe?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

€12k for a 7 year olddGolf with 3 previous owners for starters. Wouldn’t exactly jump out at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's crazy money.... Have you seen the car?

Look up a Renault Megane GT line

Looks to be a Trend-line which is poverty spec. 5 speed gearbox and plastic wheel trims.

• Advertisement

That's crazy money.... Have you seen the car?

Look up a Renault Megane GT line

I was going to say the OP will get much better value in this price range from the “lesser” regarded Marques which will probably be more reliable and unquestionably better trimmed.
    Peugeot 308 or Seat Leon are other good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,940 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I was going to say the OP will get much better value in this price range from the “lesser” regarded Marques which will probably be more reliable and unquestionably better trimmed.

There is nothing to say a Renault, Peugeot or Seat will be any more reliable than a VW.
    Bit of a sweeping statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Hey guys,

OP here.

Thanks a mil for all comments and help so far - golfs seem to be expensive but the lower spec doesn’t bother me too much.

Also looking at this Vauxhall Astra;
    https://www.shaneconnollycars.com/vehicle?id=r40L

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That looks good- will be a lot better value than the Golf. I think the Design is basic enough level trim but not VW basic and has all the minimum you'd need. The Opel goes S, SC, SRI or Elite. If you can get an Opel it would be easier sell on but not a massive big deal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

road_high wrote: »
    That looks good- will be a lot better value than the Golf. I think the Design is basic enough level trim but not VW basic and has all the minimum you'd need. The Opel goes S, SC, SRI or Elite. If you can get an Opel it would be easier sell on but not a massive big deal either.

Nobody wants Opels second hand.
    At least the Golf will hold its money.

Flip side of that is you can get a newer Opel for the same money, they’re not an overly likeable car though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

road_high wrote: »

The only problem is nobody likes them because they're sh1te. That's what gets you a newer one for the same money.

I wouldn't touch a vauxhall with yours.....

I wouldn't be plugging a Trendline Golf too hard as higher spec Golf 7's are ten a penny to find but the Golf 7 would generally be more dependable than an Astra J and to be fair, 3 or 4 years down the line the Golf will still be worth a few bob whereas if you left the Astra ticking over with the drivers window open, keys in the ignition with a full tank of petrol and a 50 bag on the passenger seat in the South Hill in Limerick or the likes and come back the following day, it'd still be where you left it.

Hi all

OP here.

Thanks a mil for the thoughts and comments.

Only big concern I would have is 3 previous owners for the golf - is this something to be worried about or if it drives fine should it be ok?

The golf is coming from a decent garage by the looks of it and has a warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Find another Golf.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Find another Golf.

Too many previous owners?

Hi all

OP here.

Thanks a mil for the thoughts and comments.

Only big concern I would have is 3 previous owners for the golf - is this something to be worried about or if it drives fine should it be ok?

The golf is coming from a decent garage by the looks of it and has a warranty.

There are no pictures, it's crazy money and to be honest if be looking for higher spec and the bigger engine.

There are no pictures, it's crazy money and to be honest if be looking for higher spec and the bigger engine.

What would be a reasonable price do ya reckon? I’ll chat to the sales lad and see if he can reduce.

The only problem is nobody likes them because they're sh1te. That's what gets you a newer one for the same money.

That model Astra isn’t ****e, it’s very well regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,053 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What would be a reasonable price do ya reckon? I’ll chat to the sales lad and see if he can reduce.

Do this in person, doing it over the phone is unlikely to get a discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Connolly's have a funny business model, in that they will buy cars without a trade in, whick I haven't come across before. I know a lad here who was struggling to sell a (different than the OP) 14 Golf, and they bought it off him. He was happy with the deal.

I never saw another garage do that.

Not sure how you think a Leon is going to be more reliable than a Golf, it's basically the same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Three owners in ten years would not put me off in the slightest.

That model Astra isn’t ****e, it’s very well regarded.

Maybe by Opel salesmen, everybody else knowns they are junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭User1998

Three owners in ten years would not put me off in the slightest.

Its only 7 years old but yeah me neither.

You have to remember its an Irish car so all previous owners are documented. UK imports look better on paper only having 1 or 2 owners but then you look in the UK and they’ll have had another 2 owners there as well

Try look for a Match/SE/Comfortline spec Golf they are much nicer. Or try a Seat Leon they are a good bit cheaper. And maybe try independent garages as they will be cheaper than main dealers

OP here.

Viewed the car today.

Some pic attached as well as service history. Car is not imported from UK.

No movement in price as the dealer said it’s fairly priced and he will get 11.9k for it.

OP here.

Viewed the car today.

Some pic attached as well as service history. Car is not imported from UK.

No movement in price as the dealer said it’s fairly priced and he will get 11.9k for it.

More pics

It stinks of a previous boy racer life... Alloys were on it at some point, the after market tints and wind deflectors....

That is bog poverty spec, I'd definitely pass

More pics

Here!

• Advertisement

Here!

Here!

Advertisement