Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Cork City - Dry, grey with some v short intervals of sun.. and breezy... you'd never which way it could go... rain is forecast... but.. we shall see.. its about 15ºC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Heading to achill island camping for a week later and Interesting variations in long term forecasts from Met eireann and MT.

Met eireann are predicting cloudier, cooler and damper conditions for the west coast for much of next week as opposed to MT who thinks all of the country will be warmer and sunnier.

Hoping MT is right!. Anyone have any thoughts as i know so many people are going west?

It could all change given the nature of our weather, but currently I would be thinking temperatures should be around 16-18C, but it will be overcast with some sunny spells and probably intermittent light showers most days.

By next weekend though temperatures could be in the lows 20s lasting till around Monday before another breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ha love it. Always the same isn’t it. People read a headline in a tabloid and take it as gospel.

I don’t know what to make of today. It has potential to be a nice day but its flattering to deceive really. Breeze is still there and there’s intermittent sun. Temp about 18/19 but I’d doesent feel like that really in the breeze.

Just back from a jog in the park and it's the windiest it has been for a while. Low grey cloud here now for the past couple of hours.
    It's amazing though how a Dublin Live article or some tabloid nonsense convinces the country we're going to have a 25c weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the warmth is on pause over the next few days with slightly cooler conditions. Temperatures generally 15 to 19C over the next few days but it should remain mostly dry however some showers or light rain can be expected at times in western areas. After bank holiday Monday temperatures will rise to high teens to low twenties and more in the way of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

It's currently 20º in Phoenix Park and 19º in Dublin Airport.

It's been mostly sunny all day where I am in Dun Laoghaire.

Meanwhile Dublin hasn't seen rain in a week.

Looks like touching 19 or 20 for much of the next few days in Dublin. You can't really ask for much more in early June.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

compsys wrote: »
    It's currently 20º in Phoenix Park and 19º in Dublin Airport.

It's been mostly sunny all day where I am in Dun Laoghaire.

Meanwhile Dublin hasn't seen rain in a week.

Looks like touching 19 or 20 for much of the next few days in Dublin. You can't really ask for much more in early June.

19C here in Meath and nice spells of warm sunshine after a cloudy morning. No rain here in a week either and the ground is already starting to crack again. Aside from the very wet week last week during May there really hasn't been much rain here since February.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Dull and windy here for the last couple of hours and a freshness to the wind. I’m afraid it’s disappointing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Disappointing day. Quite windy and very cloudy. The sun made an effort to break through earlier but cloud took over again.

Sun is coming out now in Dublin but it was cloudy all day

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sun is coming out now in Dublin but it was cloudy all day

Mostly sunny all day in my part of Dublin with a cloudy spell for around an hour at lunchtime. Lovely evening here in Dublin 16. 18.4c atm.

• Advertisement

Honestly it's been cloudy af with no sun since about 11 here in D5. Some blue appearing now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Interesting.

I can't remember the exact date, but was this around the time when there was a severe shower event in the NW (I think in Mayo) that was totally unforecast at the time that led to a substantial landslide?

No I don't think so, it was a rather localised event, I recall checking the radar and seeing it as one of the only showers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

2017 I believe there was a yellow warning and it turned out to be "1 in 100 year event"

Met Éireann's climate team had analysed the rainfall and said there was “a return period” of about 100 years

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/once-in-a-100-years-extreme-weather-event-caused-donegal-flooding-1.3195934%3fmode=amp

https://climatt.ucc.ie/2017/08/25/donegal-extreme-rainfall-floods-august-2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Reports of noctilucent clouds tonight on the other side of the Irish Sea. Look out if you have a clear sky or have good clear breaks.

EDIT: Just seen them to my north.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wasn't a great day in cork city. Meh afternoon with cloud and then from about 6 onwards, drizzle, heavy at times.

Dull cloudy start to the day temps around 12 degrees relatively calm though. Clouds are very dark looking though. Another very interesting summer like morning being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Shades of summer 2020 here since the start of the month, with a near permanent layer of low stratus hovering over with generally poor drying. Better chance of something more seasonal and sunny towards and over next weekend as a more solid block of high pressure builds over Ireland.

2bPvfh5.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

Light shower here in Meath.
    Overcast and dark grey clouds so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudy in Sligo but not cold.

Eventless Summer so far.

Keeping blog of it all

[url]Http://sligosummer.blogspot.com[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A touch of summer 2020 about it all. Dull and grey. No wind thankfully, if there was it would feel a little on the cool side. Disappointing start to the bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Starting to mist in Sligo now

Drizzle and 14 degrees. Not pleasant at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Pheasant in North kildare. Virtually calm and mostly cloudy but mild and feeling very warm in the sunshine when it pops out.

Today probably the most disappointing day in over a week, dull cloudy, no breaks in the cloud or sun. Mild but feeling cooler than any day since last Friday. Currently 17C. Today reminds me very much of August 2020 where almost the entire month was cloudy and stuck around 15 to 18C. We've had plenty of sun and warm weather over the past week so can't really complain and there is warmer and sunnier weather on the way for later next week.

Yeah same in Dublin now, calm and cloudy but it's kind of pleasant. Not seeing much blue skies in the forecasts ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

BBC forecast on news 24 just there showed a totally different scene for next week with no big high pressure and plenty of cloud .

BBC forecast on news 24 just there showed a totally different scene for next week with no big high pressure and plenty of cloud .

The high pressure and warm outlook has gone through some fairly major downgrades over the past 24 to 48 hours. It's looking alot more brief and flimsy at this stage. We will get some low level warmth but it won't last long before the unsettled conditions come back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

highdef wrote: »
    Pheasant in North kildare.

Yes, I have one here too. :pac:

_116707834_phesants_get.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    . Better chance of something more seasonal and sunny towards and over next weekend as a more solid block of high pressure builds over Ireland.

A bit of a wobble in this evening's ECM regarding that high pressure later on next week:
    wjWFNNP.png

And it may be just that.. a wobble. But even if something like the above chart does end being the case, that would still mean a lot of pleasant, warm weather, just not in that classic 'to the beach' sort of way. I am sure the models will flip again tomorrow.

New Moon

Advertisement