Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

The AliExpress tracking had a status of "arrived at destination country" on the 7th, yet today POST NLs tracking updated saying shipment sent to country of destination.

I'm pretty AliExpress just tries to fill in the blanks so it's not to be trusted fully.
    I use an app called Deliveries on Android which checks my tracking numbers every hour (even down to every 15 mins if you wanted) and just go by that really.

Had this a few times the Aliexpress tracking marks it as arrived at destination country when it arrives with postNL that's as far as there tracking goes and then it ships from there to the destination country

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Had this a few times the Aliexpress tracking marks it as arrived at destination country when it arrives with postNL that's as far as there tracking goes and then it ships from there to the destination country

Yup, use the postnl website from r more accurate tracking, hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Mine are arriving on my firstborn's due date, apparently. I hope my wife will understand. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I use this for tracking, https://track.aftership.com/

• Advertisement

8Bitdo Pce 2.4G Wireless Gamepad PC EngineMini, Coregrafx Mini, Turbografx-16Mini & Nintendo Switch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0872R3ZYF

£11.62 for us if you have Amazon Prime and you won't be waiting an age to get this one! ;)

Note that 2 buttons are autofire only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »
    8Bitdo Pce 2.4G Wireless Gamepad PC EngineMini, Coregrafx Mini, Turbografx-16Mini & Nintendo Switch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0872R3ZYF

£11.62 for us if you have Amazon Prime and you won't be waiting an age to get this one! ;)

Note that 2 buttons are autofire only.

Do they make six button versions of those?

EDIT - Feck it, ordered x2 there. Works out about €35 delivered non Prime. Thanks Doge, much happy!

Inviere wrote: »
    Do they make six button versions of those?

EDIT - Feck it, ordered x2 there. Works out about €35 delivered non Prime. Thanks Doge, much happy!

I would just go with the Mega drive ones if you like 6 buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I really wish 8bitdo would just get over it and produce a receiver for the original PC Engine/TG16. Rather not go down the adaptor/Brook etc route

Got two of these myself a while for the mini, really nice little pads for the price

• Advertisement

McDermotX wrote: »
    I really wish 8bitdo would just get over it and produce a receiver for the original PC Engine/TG16. Rather not go down the adaptor/Brook etc route

It would probably be a terrible move from a business point of view. I'd say there wouldn't exactly be much demand for those consoles, most retro gamers don't even own those consoles.

It would probably be a terrible move from a business point of view. I'd say there wouldn't exactly be much demand for those consoles, most retro gamers don't even own those consoles.

I might have jumped the gun here. There was close to 6 million units sold so it's probably viable after all!

Aye.....when it looked like 8bitdo were going to produce a PC Engine Wireless Pad, I think a lot of people half expected to see an original receiver style bundle along with the Mini/PC version akin to the amazing M30 bundles for the Sega machines, but with no sign of anything now for a year other than the Mini it's probably wishful thinking. Adding all those TG-16s along with the various PC Engine models its a machine that sold pretty well, especially in Japan.
    Shame really, as it would be a lovely modern take for the NEC consoles with their short cables, but there could be technical reasons behind it even along with the business prospects, but all these original receiver SKUs must have a limited market appeal to begin with anyway. I really liked what Retrobit did with their Saturn take, supplying both a normal USB dongle as well as a original console dongle in the same package.
    I toyed with the idea of grabbing a couple of these pads before just to have in case they do release something down the line, might even be worth it at the bargain price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm anxiously waiting for the hack for the PC Engine Mini to be released.
    Apparently it is still on the way but there's no sign of it, with Covid and work meaning the volunteers that develop such software in their spare time not getting it completed.
    Luckily the console has a decent range of titles out of the box, still, it would be great to add to them, with some great fan translations out there as well as others.
    I bought one of the controllers, they are smashing.

Price is back up now. Glad some of ye snagged em.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Price is back up now. Glad some of ye snagged em.

Gah, only seeing this now, raging I missed it, as I need an extra one for my Core Grafx Mini...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

To any 8BitDo Aliexpress buyers - Mine are out for delivery so check your tracking numbers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Security handed them to me on the way into work!

No sign of mine in Ireland yet, and I ordered before you guys! :pac:

Did anyone else have this status on the AliExpress tracking page?

554034.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah for the last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Glad to hear they're all starting to land.

Remember to update the firmware if you're having any laggy issues with them at all.

I had terrible trouble with my Megadrive one not detecting when the console switched on. Firmware update sorted it right out.

The SNES 8bitdo controllers came for me today.

Here's a link to the firmware update:
    https://download.8bitdo.com/Firmware/Controller/SN30-2.4g/SN30_2.4G_Gamepad_v5.06.zip

I managed to download every firmware tool but the right one! :pac:
    Mine was on firmware 5.05, this brings it upto 5.06.

This update method is quite different in that it appears as a storage drive and you need to copy and paste the firmware file onto the drive. It might take longer than usual to initialize copying the file.
    From the readme:

How to upgrade:
    1. Unzip the file
    2. Press & hold START button to turn off the controller
    3. Press & hold L+R buttons, then press START button to enter upgrading mode(Blue and yellow LEDs start to blink)
    4. Connect the controller to your PC via USB cable
    5. A USB flash drive will be recognised
    6. Copy SN30_2.4G_Gamepad_v5.06.dat and paste it to the USB flash drive root directory
    7. Disconnect the USB connection, then press & hold START for 3 seconds to turn off the controller.
    8. Upgrade completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I went thru that process of upgrading the firmware on my controllers recently.

Had downloaded all the 8bitdo tools and controller firmwares, spent ages trying to get the Saturn controller to connect in programming mode but nothing worked and then I spotted the RetroBit logo on it :)

Had awful trouble getting mine to work on my PC.

A reset sorted it but was very annoying that windows was picking them up and retroarch wasn't.

It's grand now even though retroarch is picking them up as a 360 controller. Had a go of some snes, saturn and NES games last night and they are great to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

They can connect either as Dinput or Xinput controllers depending on which buttons are pressed, both will work in Windows but Retroarch joypad driver needs to be set to match.

Taito announces mini arcade cabinet with rotating screen and trackball controller
    The Egret II Mini is coming to Japan next year

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22518220/taito-egret-2-mini-announced-arcade-cabinet-trackball-paddle-controller-price-date

And it even does Tate mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That looks the business!

I was thinking about selling my Neo Geo mini but now, hmmm, tempted to pick up the Sega Astro and this to make a mini arcade.

Aye. Was having a read about it earlier on. Another shelf display in the end probably, but looks a decent unit, and if the build quality matches the Astro City (LCD screen aside), it would be a nice little addition. The use of a 4:3 panel, never mind the Tate, is a big sell though. Looks to be well done in the videos as well.
    I tend to think games tend to come as a secondary concern with these things, but obviously the SD card slot is intriguing if the system lends itself to additional titles other than the extra 10 trackball/paddle games that come with the bundle's SD card. At the very least it could open the unit to some hack down the line.
    Additional controllers bump up that cost though, which would already be an issue for some, and it looks like they've gone with a sort of mini-arcade format for the stick unlike say the Astro City version which is fine I suppose given the price, but needs to be mentioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement