Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Speaking of SNES the 8biitdo 2.4ghz controllers for the original SNES are going for a decent price on the official 8bitdo store on Ali.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPgc3tR

I tried ordering 2 separetely but they combined the package so be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Nice one, Doge! I've been after some of those for a while, but they've been sold out on US Amazon since December!

I went for one US and one JPN version as I play on a US SNES in my fortress of solitude, but a JPN coloured SuperNT in the office.

Apparently they'll work on windows or android wired also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks, ordered a few controllers there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They really are great controllers.

The amount of wireless controllers released for old consoles of the last few years has been one of the best developments in retro gaming for me in a very long time.

Have most of my main consoles wireless now, so you can sit them on top of monitors etc without ugly cabling running all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Going to pick up one of them and a pair of the mega drive ones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What's the story with Aliexpress customs? Am I likely to get stung?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What's the story with Aliexpress customs? Am I likely to get stung?
    They now tend to drop ship into The Netherlands and then post onwards from there once you use the Aliexpress 'this will take a month+' shipping option - I've bought quite a bit in the past few months but its mostly cheap like those controllers

Just wondering as getting it sent to work so don't want the security guys getting confused by getting told they need to pay customs!

Master of the Universe

Check out this cool little device, it lets you output video from a DS to a TV. Main downside is it's only composite.

https://rhotronix.com/

Top screen displayed on your tv, bottom screen remains on the DS.

Some pictures of it in action here

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/n1tppp/pokemon_heartgold_looks_awesome_on_a_crt/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sugarman wrote: »
    Neat little device.

I seen a video somewhere only a few weeks ago of someone tapping the board directly for composite output. Cant find it now, but it just looked like RCA connectors soldered to test points on the board.

This yoke is probably doing a similar enough job just via the ribbon cable and in a neater overall package. Maybe with what looks like a video amplifier on the board for a slightly better picture.

I think $70 is a bit much for it though.

With a bit of tinkering, you could prob do a DIY job of it for virtually nothing.

https://github.com/LostNintendoHistory/Lost-NDS-TV

Master of the Universe

Wow! Fascinating stuff, amazing to think they could have lashed a TV out button on it like the Nomad.

Imagine we'd been playing our DS games on the TV back in the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow! Fascinating stuff, amazing to think they could have lashed a TV out button on it like the Nomad.

Imagine we'd been playing our DS games on the TV back in the day.

With a DSLite, I could have been playing the Mario Kart Advance on the big screen, my favourite MK game!

My controllers are in Ireland.

I'm more excited about these than I was about getting my GPU :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

My controllers are in Ireland.

I'm more excited about these than I was about getting my GPU :D

Did you get a 3080 after all??

Inviere wrote: »
    Did you get a 3080 after all??

No gave up on a 3080. Prices and availability were just insane.

I got a gpu from the amd GPU drop every thursday and even then it was tough to get one. Ended up with a 6900xt as they were easier to get. Thats a lot of money for a card but just happy I have a great PC now. 6900xt is excellent except when it comes to raytracing but even then it's not too shabby. Resi 8 hopefully is how things will go in the future with ray tracing optimised for the amd architecture as it runs nicely with it on.

And honestly, raytracing isn't all that impressive. There's a slight difference but rasterised effects come pretty close with stuff like SSR and AO. I mean even DF has a hard time distinguishing SSR and ray traced reflections sometimes.

Full path traced ray tracing is the way forward but I think we are 2 generations of cards away from that being a thing at 4K and higher at 60 fps.

I’m still using my 1070 having bailed on getting an RTX card as well! I even bought a G-Sync monitor to prepare.

Ah well, all but the newest of new games still run great in high settings at 1440p

I've a 3440x1440 monitor and the 1070 just was never quite good enough for it. Nearly always had to drop to 1440p.

Now my computer is far better than my monitor.

I'll be looking for a new one but have to decide on high refresh or 4K. And also save some money, this PC has cost me a lot!

I'll be looking for a new one but have to decide on high refresh or 4K. And also save some money, this PC has cost me a lot!

PC monitors are a bit behind the curve at the mo. The perfect monitor for me would be 28/32", HDR, Gsync, and have some hdmi 2.1 ports.....but it doesn't exist yet. They're still pumping out monitors with hdmi 2.0 ports for some bizarre reason, which limit any new/next gen consoles that are connected.

The only panel with those specs is an LG CX tv, but smallest panel is 48". Colossal first world problems

• Advertisement

And they are all IPS monitors which have god awful black levels and terrible HDR.

It's such a shame OLED just doesn't make good monitors because of burn in but then I've no choice really until I get my own place and can hook up and a monitor and a OLED.

And they are all IPS monitors which have god awful black levels and terrible HDR.

Yep, same as mid/higher end TV's.....absolutely awful. I'm using a near 10 year old 1080p backlit 42" LG tv here as my monitor, and it wipes the floor with a 2019 4K LG ~700 tv for blacks. Dimming zones just don't work, there's always big halos around brighter objects on dark backgrounds.

OLED has incredible picture quality, and the burn in mitigations are very good these days, but you still couldn't use one as a daily driver for a pc.

Aliexpress order seems to be stuck in customs :(

8BitDo controllers? Mine too!

8BitDo controllers? Mine too!

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Did they get shipped via NL Post?

I stuck my SSF2 CPS2 up for sale.
    It was my grail game for years but now I never play it.
    need money for car parts :o

I stuck my SSF2 CPS2 up for sale.
    It was my grail game for years but now I never play it.
    need money for car parts :o

Gah! Just when I thought I’d bought my last board for a while.

Those controllers are still stuck in customs and have had no emails, letters or phone calls from them.

• Advertisement

Those controllers are still stuck in customs and have had no emails, letters or phone calls from them.

Are you going by the AliExpress tracking bar thingy?

Mine just says arrived at destination country on the AliExpress tracking page but the postnl tracking is very sparse. It just says item ready for shipment.

I'd say hang tough a while as they may not be in customs at all and just in the backlog.

Advertisement