Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 6: Azerbaijan GP

• 02-06-2021 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So who is going to get pole here and who is going to win?
    Me I love this track. It has always been very entertaining since it came on the calendar some years back.

I would like to see Sergio Perez get pole and win it.

Hamilton has a good record around here do.

Also who can forget that infamous Vettel moment when he ran into the back of Lewis and

He brake Tested me.

I think that's where Vettels fortunes took a turn for the worse and he has paid for it with Karma over the last few years but I think his form is on the up again so I would love to see him do well here too and get on the podium.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think we will get more action off the track than on it at this one.

Merc are amping up for a protest over the wings, I hope it doesn't overshadow things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think we will get more action off the track than on it at this one.

Merc are amping up for a protest over the wings, I hope it doesn't overshadow things.

Red Bull and others could also counter protest about their front wing. McLaren to then win by default :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

recyclebin wrote: »
    Red Bull and others could also counter protest about their front wing. McLaren to then win by default :P

My hope is that RB still pass the test with this wing and it is just that clever, which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

image.png

Kind of like the Mercedes version of the maps :https://i.imgur.com/tQkST3I.jpg

Schedule
    FP1 Fri, 04 Jun 09:30
    FP2 Fri, 04 Jun 13:00
    FP3 Sat, 05 Jun 10:00
    QU Sat, 05 Jun 13:00
    Race Sun, 06 Jun 13:00

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The circuit is 20-25 metres below sea level, the only such circuit on the calendar. [/uselessinfo]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Hijpo

OSI wrote: »
    Apart from that one twitter account has anyone else suggested there was an issue with the Mercedes front wing?

https://youtu.be/gLFkOf4qSZs

Not sure if the below is for the rear wing alone. Is the flex allowance the same for both front and back?

Body work must not move more than 1" horizontally when subjected to rearward force of 1000N at defined points.
    Body work must not move more than 3mm vertically when subjected to downward force of 500N at defined points.

If the front wing can only move 3mm then the video would suggest there is a very strong case, no?

Can redbull be present during the tests? Are they waiting to see what Merc do before they launch their own protest? I can't see anywhere that merc have officially protested against RB yet. From what I can tell Merc alerted the FIA to an issue and FIA ran with it, it wasn't an actual protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looks like a couple of people are having trouble getting to the race in the first place.
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/1400404275759665152?s=19

https://twitter.com/SteveJones/status/1400012711493316611?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How are stickers going to tell them how much a rear wing flexes lol?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭klose

I see they've widned the turn into the castle to make it easier faster

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »

Probably makes it easier to gauge how much they flex and adds a standard or common point to monitor given the different shaped wings. Maybe they have some vision system to use that tracks the green dots.

I wonder will they be on for the duration or if they are only on for practice?

Is this an official test change from the FIA or just a trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

klose wrote: »
    I see they've widned the turn into the castle to make it easier faster

They’ve also removed the kerb at #12 coming out of the castle so you can go in with the foot down and stay opened up all the way trough!

Just listening to the RB of Verstappen on the straight. It doesn't seem to rev anywhere near as high or get to the top as quick as say the McLaren when DRS opens.

May be mistaken.

Is there anywhere that gives the power curves of the cars or is that a stupid question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

AMKC wrote: »

They can compare the gap between the stickers when the car isn't moving to when it is via the car mounted camera.

E3B2VQ_WUAs666s?format=jpg&name=small

that was a messy enough session . Top 5/6 really the only ones to get clean runs . Ferrari again looking competitive enough . Close to Max's time ..but early days

Yellow flags cause buy a lot of drivers ( Norris , Bottas , Hamilton , Gasly , Vettel , Mazepin , Schumacher , Tsunoda ) always seemed to be in someone else run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭klose

Norris and Hamilton were logging purple sector's before lock ups and spins, ferrari with pace again. Teams organising slip streams for the straight will be make and break for qualifying.

That last sector , is mad . It just goes on and on and on . it is such a long run to the line.

Aston only ran hard tires by the Graphic ,and Mercedes were running more Down force . 2 teams that can improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Joeface wrote: »
    That last sector , is mad . It just goes on and on and on . it is such a long run to the line.

Aston only ran hard tires by the Graphic ,and Mercedes were running more Down force . 2 teams that can improve.

Thats why with their superior engine power it's Mercs to lose this weekend imo

Even if Max pulls out a master quali and somehow gets in front, or yet another turn 1 move gets him up to P1, that straight is just too much to handle. Red Bull may be faster in sectors 1 and 2, but sector 3 will be Merc all weekend

Dosen't need to be early in the race either

Thats why with their superior engine power it's Mercs to lose this weekend imo

Is there really that much difference in engine power between Merc and RB this year though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Lurching wrote: »
    Is there really that much difference in engine power between Merc and RB this year though?

I think there's a bit in it, and the massive straight will obviously provide a better chance for it to pay dividend

I think there's a bit in it, and the massive straight will obviously provide a better chance for it to pay dividend

Don't forget the limbo wing that gives RB an extra 400mph on straights

Hijpo wrote: »
    Don't forget the limbo wing that gives RB an extra 400mph on straights

Saw the side-by-side video comparing Merc & RB wings before P2. There's not much in it. The Merc wing flexes too, but just not quite as much.

And Ferrari's front wing does it.

Caught some of FP1 and they were talking about the flexing wings while on-board the front wing of the Ferrari as it went down the straight. They said "It'll probably rise up in the braking zone" and they seemed surprised by just how much it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mercedes struggling again this week. Ferrari's looking surprisingly quick also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Mercedes struggling again this week. Ferrari's looking surprisingly quick also.

BBC suggesting that reliance on DAS to warm tyres last year means they're actually out of practice and not good at warming tyres anymore. Could be something in it.

Mercedes is famously easy on tyres, partly by not overheating them. So the often struggle when it comes time to heat the tyres quickly.

I thought Bottas would be all over this.
    He's over cooked it twice in FP2 alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

When looking at the fp2 results, OMFG Mercedes, where is your mojo?

E3CkwK9WYAgj4J4?format=jpg&name=small

Not looking good from them in Qual . Charles kinda messed everyone up there as well.

Some Sim run data

zxxlpy6o29371.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

This is shaping up to be a cracking race weekend. Perez is looking good for that elusive pole position. The Ferrari is looking strong once again. Would be interesting to see is Merc can pull themselves together and get a result (I wouldn't bet against it). Either way they are clearly not the dominant force they have been for the last few years.

Advertisement