Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't put weights down ! Fitter at 40?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Start as you mean to go on n all that. Yes I only meant in terms of distance. You were too close to the edge. Get used to taking 2 steps back when you unrack the bar. Try and perfect this so you’re not doing a little dance trying to position your feet (not saying you’re doing that now btw). It’ll mean less time holding the weight.

Cheers man will do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Looking your squatting tonight, to me, it looks like you’re a low bar squatter trapped in a high bar squatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Looking your squatting tonight, to me, it looks like you’re a low bar squatter trapped in a high bar squatter.

What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?

He seems to naturally lean forward a bit. I think it’d be complimentary to a low bar squat.

He seems to naturally lean forward a bit. I think it’d be complimentary to a low bar squat.

His torso is still fairly upright. Getting caught a bit forward at the bottom from not keeping tight enough (guilty of that myself) but not a massive lean on the way into the hole.

And that is why, your Honour, I beg to differ.

But also, we should be able to squat low bar and high bar without looking like we're just one or the other, technical rustiness notwithstanding

• Advertisement

Thanks guys , so try not lean forward for as much ? Is the idea to stand straighter and sit straight back or change to low bar squat and lean forward like I am doing ? Looked up low bar squat I can imagine it will be difficult to find same position each time. Is there an advantage to changing to low bar squat ! Thanks

Active recovery day 10

Pretty crappy few days with the youngest (2 year old ) breaking both bones in his lower leg on trampoline. Means sleepless nights and limited time to train . Have to take a month of work to help at home so commute training and lunch time runs are gone also . It is what it is and it is so there's no point doing anything structured. Thankful for the home gym as a mental break feels good to put some music on and lift .
    Anyway life goes on and I'm certainly not complaining about our luck as I'm acutely aware of families who have to provide 24/7 care for the life not just short term as my wife deals with these families as part of her job .

Anyways that's just to let yous know I'm not slacking off :D

squat
    5 sets of 5 @60kg
    Wondering should I move to front squat or low bar I don't seem to be getting this high bar , is there anything I can do to strengthen this squat ? More core work ? Stronger back ( good mornings ?)

bench
    5 sets of 5 at 60kg
    Not much pain in rib lately so tried bench , 60 feels now much heavier than a month ago , that least rep on the last 3 sets was a bit of a struggle . I was doing 67.5 for 4 a month ago . My rib/back was niggling me after this and I was regretting pushing it .

T bar row
    5 sets of 5 at 50kg

Seated ohp dumbells
    5 sets of 8 with 15kgs
    8/8/8/8/5* couldn't lift 8 on last set.

Completed close to an hour .

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Thanks guys , so try not lean forward for as much ? Is the idea to stand straighter and sit straight back or change to low bar squat and lean forward like I am doing ? Looked up low bar squat I can imagine it will be difficult to find same position each time. Is there an advantage to changing to low bar squat ! Thanks

Low bar typically means you can lift more weight because shorter distance to the hip.

The lean is more a function of the position of the bar and keeping it over mid-foot. You're not trying to lean more forward or stay more upright; you're trying to keep the bar over the middle of your foot.

HBLB.png

That’s a rough dose. Get well soon little man

Jesus. Rough dose is right!

• Advertisement

https://www.reddit.com/r/powerlifting/comments/3051ti/reddits_compendium_to_overcoming_weak_points/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

There's a serious amount of information in that post , I'm just leaving here for anyone else and myself to check on.

Low bar typically means you can lift more weight because shorter distance to the hip.

The lean is more a function of the position of the bar and keeping it over mid-foot. You're not trying to lean more forward or stay more upright; you're trying to keep the bar over the middle of your foot.

HBLB.png

So I need to keep the chest up more and back more vertical brace the core harder to stop the lean?

I can’t really help you on high bar. Core should always be tight for any squat. Bar over centre foot and yes you’re more upright. Alf will translate all that into proper terminology

So I need to keep the chest up more and back more vertical brace the core harder to stop the lean?

Keeping your chest up is a good cue. Think about keeping your elbows pointing down as well to help keep your upper back tight.

Ultimately, what you're trying to do is keep the bar path straight up and down and over the middle of your foot. If you imagine a line straight up from the middle of your foot, the more in front of that line the harder you make it on yourself and you put more of a load on the lower back.

Have a look at your 85 and 90 from last week...you can see coming out of the bottom the line of the bar moves forward and then back towards that line you want. On the 85, you were off balance because you didn't quite fully get it back. It may have been because you let yourself get a little loose in the pause at the bottom - which is something we've all been guilty of even with a lot more training under our belt than you.

Think of pushing back into the bar when you're coming out of the bottom of the squat.

Thanks great advice there . I was reading something earlier that front squats can help your back squat if your leaning too far forward. I'm going to alternate a day of front squat with back squat it's probably no harm .

active recovery day 11?

Front squat
    Since my back squat sucks and I'm probably getting into a bit of analysis paralysis state with it a new movement might help , it'll break the training up if nothing else .
    5 sets of 5 @ 50kg very easy

Good mornings
    It's regarded as a good accessories if your struggling leaning forward on squat .
    5 sets of 5 @40kg very easy but nice to add in a new movement, could feel the lower back and hamstrings working.

rear delt fly
    5 sets of 8 at 7.5kg

dumbell bench
    Get at much nicer burn in the chest from this than barbell.
    5 sets of 8 with 22.5kg dumbells .

Ohp with dumbells
    5 sets of 8 with 15kg dumbells, was starting to feel the niggle in the rib near the latter stage of these , annoying niggle now that is taken its time to heal .

Completed in an hour , zero else done today other than a short walk .

Thanks great advice there . I was reading something earlier that front squats can help your back squat if your leaning too far forward. I'm going to alternate a day of front squat with back squat it's probably no harm .

Just as you mention them, Alan Thrall has a front squat video brand new.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl9ArmXHhO4

They can. But more practice with back squats will help improve back squat technique.

I think you should focus on the back squat and drilling technique rather than doing front squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/nqk608/weakpoint_wednesday_back_squat/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Thought this might be of interest to you so you can get a general idea of what works for people.

Also just about your above post with the link to weak points. I wouldn't get too worried about that at this stage. It's something I did and a lot of beginners do but the simple fact is you're just plain weak all over at that stage and you just need to work on getting bigger and stronger.

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/nqk608/weakpoint_wednesday_back_squat/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Thought this might be of interest to you so you can get a general idea of what works for people.

Also just about your above post with the link to weak points. I wouldn't get too worried about that at this stage. It's something I did and a lot of beginners do but the simple fact is you're just plain weak all over at that stage and you just need to work on getting bigger and stronger.

Thanks there's some good reading there I just skimmed through it I'll give it a read again later .
    Yeah I get your point about been weak all over , just trying to correct things that are causing me to have a bad squat , ie I'm leaning too far forward that could be a problem with not enough core or back strength and not a leg strength problem .

Trying not to overthink it just squatting more will probably help . I'm making adjustments based on advice I'm getting here .

• Advertisement

active rrecivery day 12?

Very short session last night

incline dumbbell row
    5 sets of 5 @ 20kgs

lateral raises
    5 sets of 8 at 7.5kgs

Upright row dumbells
    5 sets of 10 with 10kgs

seated ohp dumbells
    5 sets of 8 with 15kgs

dumbell curls
    5 sets of 5 with 15kgs

Just ticking over for now . Might squat today if I get a chance .

active recovery day 13

Squat
    Trying out the new advice of chest up and less lean .
    Worked up to
    5 sets of 5 at 60kg

dumbell bench
    5 sets of 12 with 15kgs

Then baby woke so cut short maybe get out later

active recovery day 13

Squat
    Trying out the new advice of chest up and less lean .
    Worked up to
    5 sets of 5 at 60kg

dumbell bench
    5 sets of 12 with 15kgs

Then baby woke so cut short maybe get out later

If you’re in the middle of a workout and the baby cries, I recommend turning the baby monitor off. That way the baby stops crying and you can finish your workout.

If you’re in the middle of a workout and the baby cries, I recommend turning the baby monitor off. That way the baby stops crying and you can finish your workout.

:D:D Parenting 101 , how to stop the baby crying :D

Thanks there's some good reading there I just skimmed through it I'll give it a read again later .
    Yeah I get your point about been weak all over , just trying to correct things that are causing me to have a bad squat , ie I'm leaning too far forward that could be a problem with not enough core or back strength and not a leg strength problem .

Trying not to overthink it just squatting more will probably help . I'm making adjustments based on advice I'm getting here .

It may not be weak points but just not doing things that you can do. Keeping upper back tight, for example. Leaning is only wrong if its causing the par path to drift too far forward of that imaginary line straight up from your mid foot. Two people can so the same squat and both look different and neither needs to be wrong.

I would venture you just need more practice and to get stronger rather than look to address weak points you think you might have.

day 13 cont.

Got out for 30 mins when kids to bed .

inverted bodyweight row
    What a nice exercise not done before , nice wide grip on barbell holding at top for as long as I could each rep .
    5 sets of 8

rear delt fly
    5 sets of 12 with 7.5kgs

barbell forward roll ?
    5 sets of 30 seconds with 30kg on barbell .
    I remember doing this in a workout video before , my forearms needs more strength so tried this again , your just rolling the barbell in circles but it really tired the foreman's

It may not be weak points but just not doing things that you can do. Keeping upper back tight, for example. Leaning is only wrong if its causing the par path to drift too far forward of that imaginary line straight up from your mid foot. Two people can so the same squat and both look different and neither needs to be wrong.

I would venture you just need more practice and to get stronger rather than look to address weak points you think you might have.

Thanks Alf the chest up cue helped me today when I compared to my last video I think the bar path is better now , I was also thinking of trying to break the bar across my back . I'm getting there ( I think ) .
    I don't think runners make good squatters the muscles seem to atrophy in your legs from years of running . But it makes me even more determined . I've no talent for weight lifting and probably cr&p genetics and starting too late at 40 but I should be much better by 50 and then can peak at 60 .

Thanks Alf the chest up cue helped me today when I compared to my last video I think the bar path is better now , I was also thinking of trying to break the bar across my back . I'm getting there ( I think ) .
    I don't think runners make good squatters the muscles seem to atrophy in your legs from years of running . But it makes me even more determined . I've no talent for weight lifting and probably cr&p genetics and starting too late at 40 but I should be much better by 50 and then can peak at 60 .

I wasn't much of a runner but I've done a few marathons back when I enjoyed running. Then for other reasons I was scrawny. 65/66kg at 6ft.
    But it doesn't matter. Every training cycle is about ending up in a better position than the last.

Ed Coan, who is a powerlifting legend, looked at running three training cycles a year and said if he could add 5 lbs to his lifts each cycle, that would be 15 lbs a year. 75lbs over 5 years.Play the long game.

Just always focus on improving. Doesn't have to be adding weight but doing the same weight better is as important.

deadlift
    Yeah I'm 90% better so better get back to deadlifting .
    Some warm ups
    Then 120 X 5 for 5 sets
    This was hard after set 3 , I have regressed since not deadlifting. Set 5 I used straps because grip was failing .

inverted row
    5 sets of 8

Chest dip
    5 sets of 12 with just bodyweight

hammer curls
    5 sets of 12 with 10kg db

incline dumbbell row
    5 sets of 12 with 12.5kgs

Arms are sore after that .
    I felt really weak today .

Completed in an hour and change .
    Nice to deadlift again

• Advertisement

Monday 7th

squat
    Working up to 5 sets of 5 at 65kg

bent over row one arm db
    4 sets of 12 with 15kg dB each arm - this got tough after 2 sets .

incline dB bench
    5 sets of 12 with 10kg dB - easy but minding rib

Upright row db
    5 sets of 10 with 10kgs

tricep extension
    5 sets of 12 with one 15kg dB held at one end

ohp db
    5 sets of 10 with 12.5kgs

bicep curl dB
    Holding each end of a 20kg hex dB like a fat grip workout hard to grip and do curls maybe works forearms more felt like that anyway
    5 sets of 10 with one 20kg dB

Wednesday 9th

squat
    Worked up to 3 sets of 5 at 70kg
    Neither happy or unhappy with these , just keep going though .

Romanian deadlift
    Watched an Alan thrall video on these been good for stretching hamstrings and back awareness for deadlift .
    Very light and slow controlled
    5 sets of 10 at 40kg trying to feel the stretch in hamstring while maintaining a flat back.

inverted rows
    I don't like these which tells me I probably need to work on them more , 5 sets of 8 bodyweight only , it's tough to keep grip on bar my grip strength probably not that good .

close grip bench
    5 sets of 10 with 45kg , last rep on last couple of sets could feel the burn .

reverse fly
    5 sets of 10 with 10kgs , I do these on bench at incline not sure if there's a benefit of doing them bent over ?

reverse curl to ohp
    Just something I kinda made up with barbell .
    5 sets of 12 with just the barbell, my arms where fried after these .

I'm just tipping away for the moment , no real structure or plan , i realise this can't go on indefinitely. But I'll use this time to try better my squat and deadlift form .

Advertisement