Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

kilk wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been answered already, but this is a long thread!

I have 2 gardens, one in front and one at rear. Can a robotic mower be set to mow both gardens or do I need two separate mowers?

It can do both if both are connected.... i.e. the mower can drive between them with no steps to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Right lads,I've got an Ambrogio 20 elite a couple of months now.Delighted with it.Only one issue, I have a large flower bed wired off in the middle of the lawn,sometimes the Mower finds the wire around the flower bed instead of the perimeter wire when it's returning to the charger.The mower goes round the flower bed until I manually interrupt it.
    Any ideas?

Hi Gaffs,

My L350i also does the exact same thing. I found it one morning having run out of battery and basically circled around the same path for probably 6+ hours. The follow on wire and V-"quick" return methods are not selectable and should be always on, as far as I know. It just depends on what the mower sees. I have 3 separate V sections in my garden and not 1 of them works at all.

I have the service PIN to get into the secret menu on the mower, so I should have a look there, and was told by an installer before to turn off the "loop" setting, but that didn't do anything really. But since yours was installed professionally, I would contact the installer and ask them. They should be tasked with fixing the issue, then let me know how they fix it.

if you want the service PIN then give me an IM and I'll share it and how to access the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Here's a question I've been wondering about...

If you were inclined to spray some of the grass that the mower touches without cutting, would you pause the cutting program for a week (or until it rains - whichever is less) so that the mower doesn't contaminate anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Hi Gaffs,

My L350i also does the exact same thing. I found it one morning having run out of battery and basically circled around the same path for probably 6+ hours. The follow on wire and V-"quick" return methods are not selectable and should be always on, as far as I know. It just depends on what the mower sees. I have 3 separate V sections in my garden and not 1 of them works at all.

I have the service PIN to get into the secret menu on the mower, so I should have a look there, and was told by an installer before to turn off the "loop" setting, but that didn't do anything really. But since yours was installed professionally, I would contact the installer and ask them. They should be tasked with fixing the issue, then let me know how they fix it.

if you want the service PIN then give me an IM and I'll share it and how to access the menu.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭kilk

KCross wrote: »
    It can do both if both are connected.... i.e. the mower can drive between them with no steps to navigate.

Thanks. There is a gate in between which may or may not be open all the time. Can I programme the mower to do just one garden at a time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

Thanks. There is a gate in between which may or may not be open all the time. Can I programme the mower to do just one garden at a time?

Not in any effective way if both areas are withing the one boundary. You should look at cutting a mower shaped hole in the bottom of the gate to allow it to move freely between the two areas on a guide wire

You dont need to program it for that. If there is a gate in the way and its closed it will bump against it and turn around and head off in another direction.

What you dont want is it getting through the gate, someone closing the gate and then it not being able to get home. So, it depends on how that gate is used.

NOTE: You need to be able to run boundary and guide wires along the ground through that opening and it needs to be wide enough for it, so if you are talking about a narrow gate it wont work.

Boots234 wrote: »
    Apologies, no doubt this has been asked previously but I bought a 315x yesterday and rang about adding it to the home insurance today but they will only insure anything that is left outside to the value of 650 euro. I can't see any option for robot lawnmowers on the gadget insurance website. Just wondering if it possible to get it insured or what other people have done? Is it even needed with the alarm etc?

Each insurance company has their own policy on it. Some, like you found, wont cover it at all.

I know Zurich will add it for no extra cost. You just tell them the make, model, serial number and they ask a few other questions like "is the docking station out of view, does it have GPS, is it PIN controlled"

If you answer yes to all that they add it at no extra cost. There is a €750 excess on it alright though so just bump up the value since they arent charging extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

A few weeks ago, the front wheel came off my husky 450x :(
    Turned out the lockwasher within had deteriorated and snapped. I checked the other wheel and it too needs changing. Luckily I have one handy, but they do not seem easy got locally. It's diy territory to replace.

The front wheel tyres are wearable and should be replaced (diy) every so often if you notice wear, as like mine the rubber wore and left a gap to the wheel plastic housing. That left muck squeeze in which caused the lockwasher demise over time. 3 years in my mowers case.

What have I learned: pay more attention to the tyres, I haven't seen it mentioned as a potential issue in the thread.

Maybe for those who is or for an annual dealer service are spared this.

Also, when I'm ordering bits and bobs, get a stock of those wearable washers, bearings, screws, tyres. Those bits cost pennies but are priceless when stuck. I will check in with my local dealers to try get a few more. In the past I got from UK GPL but delivery is pricey.

Happy mowing.

ArrBee wrote: »
    I'm going to test by aiming it at the island (trampoline) and telling it to go home.
    See what happens.

Mine is new enough to not have accidentally hit the island on the way home yet so it will be interesting.

I'm waiting another week after fertilizing before sending the mower out for the test.

So I did this recently.
    The worx mower went around the island 1.5 times then stopped and went off at an angle to find the boundary.

That doesn't make it clear how it is working things out to me.

I've started having an issue with going outside the boundary wire.
    I'm not sure why it is or even if it actually is (it seems so close to the wire sometimes that I reckon it is being fussy).
    I'm going to contact worx and ask - or suggest an update to at least try and roll back 20cm before sending an alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Blade on my ambrogio 250s+ bent and cut through the plastic guard. Happened before and just jammed -I straightened the blade and it worked fine for a few weeks but this time cut through two sections so I think I need a new blade and guard but I tempted to just straighten the blade again and leave off the guard.

Has anyone just left the guard off?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Old Jim

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Blade on my ambrogio 250s+ bent and cut through the plastic guard. Happened before and just jammed -I straightened the blade and it worked fine for a few weeks but this time cut through two sections so I think I need a new blade and guard but I tempted to just straighten the blade again and leave off the guard.

Same happened to me within 10minutes of its maiden cut (Grass too long + cut height set too low). Happened a few times since. Took the guard off and cutting the last few weeks without it. Don't notice any issues. Think its main function is to protect blade from stones or other foreign objects. Not a great design though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Bedouin79

Baoithin66 wrote: »

Have the exact same model and same problem. Agree with people here it’s a terrible design. My solution was to buy spare blade guards and a new blade. I’ve kept the guard on for now as I have 2 smallies I don’t trust not to poking at the mower.

I found the problem was the mower hadn’t got on top of the lawn yet. So I patched up my original guard (gorilla duct tape worked great) and straightened my blade. Thoroughly cleaned the deck area and coated it head to toe in WD40( it stops the grass cutting’s sticking) and sent him back to work. I checked him every evening for a week cleaning the deck and guard with a bottle brush. After 2 weeks once Luigi got on top of the cutting there was no need to check every evening so now I do it at the weekend or just after rain. When I drop the cutting height I’ll check every evening for a couple of days just be sure.

So in conclusion the new blade and spare guard were not needed and are now backup spares. All I needed was a roll of duct tape and 2 pound shop bottle brushes and a nightly check and clean for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭spose

Shaunoc wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, the front wheel came off my husky 450x :(
    Turned out the lockwasher within had deteriorated and snapped. I checked the other wheel and it too needs changing. Luckily I have one handy, but they do not seem easy got locally. It's diy territory to replace.

The front wheel tyres are wearable and should be replaced (diy) every so often if you notice wear, as like mine the rubber wore and left a gap to the wheel plastic housing. That left muck squeeze in which caused the lockwasher demise over time. 3 years in my mowers case.

What have I learned: pay more attention to the tyres, I haven't seen it mentioned as a potential issue in the thread.

Maybe for those who is or for an annual dealer service are spared this.

Also, when I'm ordering bits and bobs, get a stock of those wearable washers, bearings, screws, tyres. Those bits cost pennies but are priceless when stuck. I will check in with my local dealers to try get a few more. In the past I got from UK GPL but delivery is pricey.

Happy mowing.

Very similar on 430x a couple of weeks ago. 3 years old too. Broke a bearing on one of the front wheels so it fell off. Like you said only a couple of euro for the part but was going to have to wait a month or so for local dealer to get one so ordered on line. Since I was caught to pay for shipping I replaced all 4 bearings on the 2 front wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

my Husquvarna 420 has been acting up ... cutting for 15 mins and suddenly stopping saying 'no loop signal' .. .the loop is fine and the dock has a green light.

I saw mention online of people saying to 'create a new loop' ... which is in the installation menu .. took a few attempts to get it to work .. but 24 hours on .. fingers crossed .. it's cutting away.

Why would it suddenly have issues with a loop that is working for the last 4 years !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Here's a question I've been wondering about...

If you were inclined to spray some of the grass that the mower touches without cutting, would you pause the cutting program for a week (or until it rains - whichever is less) so that the mower doesn't contaminate anywhere else?

Systemic weedkillers work by the weed itself absorbing water in the usual way as it grows - except this time you've added glyphosate or whatever other active ingredient that then attacks the weeds structure to destroy it.

This is why the best time to spray is in sunny, dry weather with a lot of active growth as the plant soaks it all up like a sponge.

I'd say the risk of your mower spreading enough weed killer beyond the target area to other places to cause any noticeable damage is minimal.

That said though, it's probably not unreasonable to suggest turning off the mower for a day or two after spraying or perhaps until the lawn has had a couple of showers of rain.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Systemic weedkillers work by the weed itself absorbing water in the usual way as it grows - except this time you've added glyphosate or whatever other active ingredient that then attacks the weeds structure to destroy it.

This is why the best time to spray is in sunny, dry weather with a lot of active growth as the plant soaks it all up like a sponge.

I'd say the risk of your mower spreading enough weed killer beyond the target area to other places to cause any noticeable damage is minimal.

That said though, it's probably not unreasonable to suggest turning off the mower for a day or two after spraying or perhaps until the lawn has had a couple of showers of rain.

Kind of what I was thinking.

I'd still be interested if others maybe don't do that and experience no issue.

Got my Ambrogio L350i out taming the field, eventually! Although the grass is a bit higher than I would have liked to start it, it's making great progress. The actual field still needs to be rolled as its full of bumps, dips and tractor tyre marks, but C3-PMOW doesn't seem to mind much.

https://youtu.be/Q8P3_yiNRdE

Got my Ambrogio L350i out taming the field, eventually! Although the grass is a bit higher than I would have liked to start it, it's making great progress. The actual field still needs to be rolled as its full of bumps, dips and tractor tyre marks, but C3-PMOW doesn't seem to mind much.

https://youtu.be/Q8P3_yiNRdE

Some work ahead... keep us posted it would be great to see the finished outcome.

The poor mower... what an introduction to its life! :D

• Advertisement

The poor mower... what an introduction to its life! :D
    This is season 2, the first season it had it pretty easy on only 3000m2 and not the 7000m2 it's now being used on...

I raised a question to worx about the way the mower leaves the base.

I had noticed that it ALWAYS leaves at an angle (reverses a few cm then turns about 45deg left) and never follows the wire out.
    This means there is a patch just after the base that "never" gets mowed as the random nature makes it so unlikely.

Worx response was to set up zones. Which makes sense as it calculates the start of a zone by the distance along the wire.
    I haven't tried it yet but thought it might help others to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have a pretty strange request and kind of embarrassing request, but would anyone be willing to look over a script I'm writing for a video on robot lawn mowers?

Would appreciate the input regardless of your knowledge level:
    • People who know what their talking about might see things I messed up
    • And people who are even just looking at robot mowers it would be great to see if there are gaps or questions that you still have

I'll be hopefully adding footage illustrating most of the talking points when I'm making the video and the script may need to be tightened up quite a bit, but I just want to check if the content is what people would expect. If there are advantages/disadvantages I've missed please let me know!

The installation tips section is not finished , but I've added the main bullet points I want to cover. This wont be a detailed installation guide, I would expect maybe 10-15 seconds per point roughly

I don't normally make this style of a video so it's new ground for me.

Script is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M6iNpn5UfBQeap-p4Bah7kosZmA3uy3iK0hnP0mLKDg/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

I have a pretty strange request and kind of embarrassing request, but would anyone be willing to look over a script I'm writing for a video on robot lawn mowers?

• And people who are even just looking at robot mowers it would be great to see if there are gaps or questions that you still have

I'll be hopefully adding footage illustrating most of the talking points when I'm making the video and the script may need to be tightened up quite a bit, but I just want to check if the content is what people would expect. If there are advantages/disadvantages I've missed please let me know!

The installation tips section is not finished , but I've added the main bullet points I want to cover. This wont be a detailed installation guide, I would expect maybe 10-15 seconds per point roughly

Script is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M6iNpn5UfBQeap-p4Bah7kosZmA3uy3iK0hnP0mLKDg/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Decent script. Looking forward to the video!

Some comments..

Guide wires are used for more than accessing remote parts of the lawn. They are also used to help the mower get back to the docking station quickly. With a large lawn you could be looking at the mower travelling 0.5km's to get back to the docking station via the boundary wire.... thats alot of travelling if the docking station is only 20m's away!

They are also necessary if you have long narrow strips. The chances a robot will get through the strip without a guide wire are slim so guide wires are "mandatory" in some cases so it is something that prospective buyers should seriously look out for as some robots dont have any, some have 1, some have 2 or 3. Figure out if you need a guide wire for your layout and then buy appropriately.

One disadvantage that I have found is that if the mower breaks down and it has to go to a service center you could be without the mower for a week or two during the peak growing season and so the lawn looks terrible for a while when you put it back out. The grass could even get too strong for it and you have to borrow a ride-on.

Thanks!

I'll send on some comments via pm.

.....and your inbox is full....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Decent script. Looking forward to the video!

Some comments..

Guide wires are used for more than accessing remote parts of the lawn. They are also used to help the mower get back to the docking station quickly. With a large lawn you could be looking at the mower travelling 0.5km's to get back to the docking station via the boundary wire.... thats alot of travelling if the docking station is only 20m's away!

They are also necessary if you have long narrow strips. The chances a robot will get through the strip without a guide wire are slim so guide wires are "mandatory" in some cases so it is something that prospective buyers should seriously look out for as some robots dont have any, some have 1, some have 2 or 3. Figure out if you need a guide wire for your layout and then buy appropriately.

One disadvantage that I have found is that if the mower breaks down and it has to go to a service center you could be without the mower for a week or two during the peak growing season and so the lawn looks terrible for a while when you put it back out. The grass could even get too strong for it and you have to borrow a ride-on.

Thank you! Especially appreciate the guide wire feedback, will help round out the information. Yeah if it broke I think I'd cry :(
    I'll send on some comments via pm.

.....and your inbox is full....

Eugh, really sorry! I was a mod in a former life and mods have bigger inboxes , so im left with 2.5K PMs and a limit of 500 and I can only delete 50 at a time.

They fixed for me before so hopefully they can again. Will let you know.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117337481#post117337481

• Hi all, sorry if this is an annoying post but rather than wading through 3000+ posts I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Husqvarna Automower 305?

My garden is about 350 sqm. with quite undulating terrain, some gentle slopes and some narrow bits (1 metre wide at the most extreme narrow "corridor" between hedge and house. Looking for a good all-rounder that will be built to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭blackbox

Hi all, sorry if this is an annoying post but rather than wading through 3000+ posts I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Husqvarna Automower 305?

My garden is about 350 sqm. with quite undulating terrain, some gentle slopes and some narrow bits (1 metre wide at the most extreme narrow "corridor" between hedge and house. Looking for a good all-rounder that will be built to last.

My first step would be to measure the slopes to make sure they don't exceed the mower's specification.

Curious what height everyone has their mower set at. Currently at 65mm not sure if too low.

• Advertisement

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Curious what height everyone has their mower set at. Currently at 65mm not sure if too low.

I'm on the 2nd from the highest for worx.
    But I am trying to let it get on top of the moss and weeds this season.
    Over time I plan on lowering it

Advertisement