Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Worx told me to do this so I guess this is the solution

https://support.worx-europe.com/how-set-up-island

I have had this setup like basically all of last summer and it was no problem.

The mowers navigation is really simple, they basically have no idea where they are, they drive til the find the wire and follow it anti-clockwise til it finds home. When it finds the large island it doesn't know it's not the actual boundary. The only thing it could do software wise if there is was a max time to go home, and if it spent more than that going home it searched for a new boundary

Thats a poor solution though. The software should be able to detect that its getting nowhere and look for another boundary.

Fine that it works for you but others could have several islands (thus increasing the likelyhood of the issue occurring) with some of those being in the middle of the lawn area which means multiple strips being left uncut.

Its also another good case for getting a mower with a guide wire to get home reliably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

KCross wrote: »
    Thats a poor solution though. The software should be able to detect that its getting nowhere and look for another boundary.

Fine that it works for you but others could have several islands (thus increasing the likelyhood of the issue occurring) with some of those being in the middle of the lawn area which means multiple strips being left uncut.

Its also another good case for getting a mower with a guide wire to get home reliably.

Detect how? The only way would be for it detect its traveled too far/for too long looking for home, it doesn't have any other data points to work with.

I don't understand how it's a bad solution? A mower with a guide wire would probably work (I've never had one) but I think you are over estimating how big of a problem this is. The grass in the gap is cut when you do a boundary cut, which it's recommended you do a couple of a week. It didn't look any different to any other part of our lawn.

The actual negative of this solution is you end up with with a more segmented lawn, in Gaffs image from a few posts up, the mower will now only get to the back section of garden on the right hand side of the flower bed, but in practise it was never an issue for us, the lawn all got cut.

Detect how? The only way would be for it detect its traveled too far/for too long looking for home, it doesn't have any other data points to work with.

That would be a possible solution or something in the menus that allow you to dictate, based on your knowledge of your own boundary, how long you want it to spend looking.

I'm not trying to come up with a solution as the mower is what it is, just saying its not ideal and other mowers dont have this issue (e.g. some have GPS). Its a design gap is all I'm saying.

I don't understand how it's a bad solution? A mower with a guide wire would probably work (I've never had one) but I think you are over estimating how big of a problem this is. The grass in the gap is cut when you do a boundary cut, which it's recommended you do a couple of a week. It didn't look any different to any other part of our lawn.

The actual negative of this solution is you end up with with a more segmented lawn, in Gaffs image from a few posts up, the mower will now only get to the back section of garden on the right hand side of the flower bed, but in practise it was never an issue for us, the lawn all got cut.

That exactly.

As I said, fine if it works for you in your case, but it may not work for many others.

Basically, its something worth considering when purchasing, in particular if you know you will have "lots" of islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Thanks for the replies Lads.witnessmenows solution should work for me.
    KCross has a good point though ,a guide wire would solve it.
    I've adjusted the distance the Mower keeps from the wire.
    In the manual it says you can use the "on wire " or V meter method to return to the base.I can't find how to change that setting. The app uses different terms than the manual.unless it's part of the set up the dealer did when he set it up.
    All that being said it's doing a great job on my lawn . It's very complex and it's not missing any spots.The diagram I posted was simplified to show this particular issue.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Thats a bit of a design gap, isnt it?

There must be a proper solution to that as a mower going around in circles and eventually going dead isnt good enough really. The whole idea is that you can let it at it and not have to keep rescuing it.

Any input from the dealer or manufacturer? Or the manual?

I use the alternative solution for the Worx which is the the off limits module with magnetic wire, not cheap but at least it works......Mostly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwVWMXce9Y

I have a 10x20 island plus a kids play area which is sand/gravel approx 15 x 20 and the off limits works well 95% of the time and certainly not as reliable as the wire. I sometimes find him stuck in the sand of the play area when he has crossed the boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Midlakelands

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies Lads.witnessmenows solution should work for me.
    KCross has a good point though ,a guide wire would solve it.
    I've adjusted the distance the Mower keeps from the wire.
    In the manual it says you can use the "on wire " or V meter method to return to the base.I can't find how to change that setting. The app uses different terms than the manual.unless it's part of the set up the dealer did when he set it up.
    All that being said it's doing a great job on my lawn . It's very complex and it's not missing any spots.The diagram I posted was simplified to show this particular issue.
    Thanks again.

I'm new to the ambrogio range and only at the planning stage for installation of an l35 but from what I've been reading doesn't the ambrogios all have a recall to wire feature where you install a small 'spike' on the perimeter wire that is 5cms apart. That causes the mower to take a turn to another part of the garden where it will try to find the perimeter again and continue on its way back to the base. You need to plan them to ensure that the mower isnt going to go around in circles but putting one on a perimeter island might help in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

In the manual it's not very clear about the recall to wire.As far as I can make out you do that just before a narrow passage to make the Mower travel down the centre. I'll give it a try if it starts to circle the flower bed again.
    Dam these things are addictive.Trying to get it perfect.
    I can't believe how fast it got the lawn under control and looking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭murfler

Hi some advice needed please. After todays torrential rain I noticed some flooding around where I placed my charging station. Water was up on the base of charging station and very close to wheels of mower. I'm wondering should I be concerned of water damaging anything, is the PCB located a few inches up from bottom of station? I ran it all last year with no issues and today's rain was out of the ordinary but still I can't imagine that being great? I can't really raise the station as mower needs ground relatively flat to Dock. Thanks

murfler wrote: »
    Hi some advice needed please. After todays torrential rain I noticed some flooding around where I placed my charging station. Water was up on the base of charging station and very close to wheels of mower. I'm wondering should I be concerned of water damaging anything, is the PCB located a few inches up from bottom of station? I ran it all last year with no issues and today's rain was out of the ordinary but still I can't imagine that being great? I can't really raise the station as mower needs ground relatively flat to Dock. Thanks

Sorry I should have mentioned I have a husqvarna 430x

Actually just found a YouTube video on how to change the PCB..it seems to be up off of base of station a couple of inches...I don't think the water will ever reach thar point..hopefully

• Advertisement

Actually just found a YouTube video on how to change the PCB..it seems to be up off of base of station a couple of inches...I don't think the water will ever reach thar point..hopefully

You'll be fine. I've had the docking station opened. The electronics are well above ground level... they are roughly at the level where the docking head swivels.

You'll be fine. I've had the docking station opened. The electronics are well above ground level... they are roughly at the level where the docking head swivels.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

Apologies, no doubt this has been asked previously but I bought a 315x yesterday and rang about adding it to the home insurance today but they will only insure anything that is left outside to the value of 650 euro. I can't see any option for robot lawnmowers on the gadget insurance website. Just wondering if it possible to get it insured or what other people have done? Is it even needed with the alarm etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Worx told me to do this so I guess this is the solution

https://support.worx-europe.com/how-set-up-island

I have had this setup like basically all of last summer and it was no problem.

The mowers navigation is really simple, they basically have no idea where they are, they drive til the find the wire and follow it anti-clockwise til it finds home. When it finds the large island it doesn't know it's not the actual boundary. The only thing it could do software wise if there is was a max time to go home, and if it spent more than that going home it searched for a new boundary

That link is really interesting. It describes the issue well.
    The issue applies for Islands greater than 6m X 6m only
    It says there is something in it's software to detect when it has completed a lap around an island and will move of to find the boundary but only if it is smaller than the specified size.

Nice to know and something I'll be testing as I have a worx with large island, but smaller than 6x6

ArrBee wrote: »
    That link is really interesting. It describes the issue well.
    The issue applies for Islands greater than 6m X 6m only
    It says there is something in it's software to detect when it has completed a lap around an island and will move of to find the boundary but only if it is smaller than the specified size.

Nice to know and something I'll be testing as I have a worx with large island, but smaller than 6x6

I have a couple of smaller islands (I think the largest is maybe a 2M circumference circle) and I've never seen it get stuck there, but I can't say for sure it ever hit there on it's way home.

One of my original plans for the large island til I saw this solution was to see if I could detect from mower when it was going home and to enable a new portion of the boundary that took it off the island, but their API is not public and gap solution worked fine for us so I didn't dig into it

We've since adjusted our lawn so we don't have the large island anymore as we changed a portion of the lawn into a veg garden.

I have a couple of smaller islands (I think the largest is maybe a 2M circumference circle) and I've never seen it get stuck there, but I can't say for sure it ever hit there on it's way home.

One of my original plans for the large island til I saw this solution was to see if I could detect from mower when it was going home and to enable a new portion of the boundary that took it off the island, but their API is not public and gap solution worked fine for us so I didn't dig into it

We've since adjusted our lawn so we don't have the large island anymore as we changed a portion of the lawn into a veg garden.

I'm going to test by aiming it at the island (trampoline) and telling it to go home.
    See what happens.

Mine is new enough to not have accidentally hit the island on the way home yet so it will be interesting.

I'm waiting another week after fertilizing before sending the mower out for the test.

ArrBee wrote: »
    I'm going to test by aiming it at the island (trampoline) and telling it to go home.
    See what happens.

Mine is new enough to not have accidentally hit the island on the way home yet so it will be interesting.

I'm waiting another week after fertilizing before sending the mower out for the test.

We have left ours go under the trampoline, the trampoline has slight "\n/" shaped legs where the center of the legs is high enough for the mower to bounce off so there is just a couple of parts for each leg that need to be addressed. I've added a couple half blocks to these parts and now the mower bounces off all of the leg but can still go under. There are parts that need to be strimmed but the mower is doing a good job at under the trampoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

just as a warning to others, an update on my order from MyRobotCenter.
    they're showing what i ordered off them as in stock now for over a week. We were last in contact with them yesterday. They said they don't have them in stock. we asked if they would ship it via express shipping by way of an apology as we were expecting it to arrive thursday the 13th(as per their website's delivery times).

they wouldn't even do that so we'll be cancelling the order monday. i wouldn't use them again for anything.

successfully ordered a mower off co-op superstores. happy with the turnaround. ordered monday, recieved thursday.

very unhappy with the communication however. we were on the phone to them thursday morning as we had no confirmation of when it was being shipped. we emailed them wednesday to see about it as we were told it would be with us in 3-5 days (when we ordered it monday) but had heard nothing back except confirmation of the order.

in the end they "delivered" it to us at 1pm thursday, the courier rang us when he was down the road a mile away >:(. that was the only actual confirmation we got on their end that it was on the way.

of course the only time no one was at home all week was thursday before 2pm.

we got it sorted, was dropped elsewhere and we collected it off them. bit naff when you've spent a grand to get the crap some coureirs pull by ringing you when they are dropping off nearby hoping to save themselves the extra trip. terrible weather today so not ideal for it to be dropped at a neighbours.

co-op superstore's webstore phone number just goes straight to voicemail. they didn't reply to our email wednesday. but we eventually got to speak to some by chancing our arms and ringing the store in raheen and they transferred us thru to websales. a very roundabout way to get to speak to the person you should be speaking to.

we've only opened the box to have a quick look but "Pep" Gardena is a girthy boy.

unfortunatly now i wouldn't buy off them again, a simple email saying we've pass this to "x" courier service and they'll have it to you in the next couple of day would have sufficed. alongside a call or text the day before from the courier with just a heads up of an approx time of delivery, simple stuff in this day and age.

successfully ordered a mower off co-op superstores. happy with the turnaround. ordered monday, recieved thursday.

very unhappy with the communication however. we were on the phone to them thursday morning as we had no confirmation of when it was being shipped. we emailed them wednesday to see about it as we were told it would be with us in 3-5 days (when we ordered it monday) but had heard nothing back except confirmation of the order.

in the end they "delivered" it to us at 1pm thursday, the courier rang us when he was down the road a mile away >:(. that was the only actual confirmation we got on their end that it was on the way.

of course the only time no one was at home all week was thursday before 2pm.

we got it sorted, was dropped elsewhere and we collected it off them. bit naff when you've spent a grand to get the crap some coureirs pull by ringing you when they are dropping off nearby hoping to save themselves the extra trip. terrible weather today so not ideal for it to be dropped at a neighbours.

co-op superstore's webstore phone number just goes straight to voicemail. they didn't reply to our email wednesday. but we eventually got to speak to some by chancing our arms and ringing the store in raheen and they transferred us thru to websales. a very roundabout way to get to speak to the person you should be speaking to.

we've only opened the box to have a quick look but "Pep" Gardena is a girthy boy.

unfortunatly now i wouldn't buy off them again, a simple email saying we've pass this to "x" courier service and they'll have it to you in the next couple of day would have sufficed. alongside a call or text the day before from the courier with just a heads up of an approx time of delivery, simple stuff in this day and age.

Jesus you are painful..you ordered on Monday and you received Thursday..not so bad..get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

We have left ours go under the trampoline, the trampoline has slight "\n/" shaped legs where the center of the legs is high enough for the mower to bounce off so there is just a couple of parts for each leg that need to be addressed. I've added a couple half blocks to these parts and now the mower bounces off all of the leg but can still go under. There are parts that need to be strimmed but the mower is doing a good job at under the trampoline.

I copied someone on here and buried the trampoline footings - Was a pain to do but delighted with the results.

As mentioned also buy this person - I no longer have to worry about the wind blowing it onto my neighbours house and cars etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I copied someone on here and buried the trampoline footings - Was a pain to do but delighted with the results.

As mentioned also buy this person - I no longer have to worry about the wind blowing it onto my neighbours house and cars etc.

I love a good review ;)

Mine's an inground jobbie so no legs, hence the island boarder .

I did pick up a tip from here about cable tying some wood to the goal posts though to give them a bit more presence...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

krissovo wrote: »
    Unless your dog has IBS or has a diet of vindaloo its not a problem. The mowers just largely ignores the turd and either bobbles over like its a twig or it might cut a piece off if I am using a low setting. The mower self cleans anyway by the constant cutting of grass. These are different to normal mowers that use the cutting blade like a propeller to "suck" the grass into the blade, they can get messy!

I check every day or so and use an old ball thrower to flick the turd into a flower bed but its not really a problem if they are left.
    Same for me, if I see them I shovel them into the hedge but if I miss them many many poops, the mower just ploughs on through them. When replacing the blades just take (wash hands etc)
    listermint wrote: »
    It will be your mother board. Mine broke because a slug had a death wish and fried himself by eating through the board's lacquer and bridging a resistor.

New board 80 bills from France. Working perfectly now
    Had the same issue with my Husqvarna earlier this year, pity the charging base stations are better sealed from wildlife.

Random issue with my automower 430x a month ago, it couldn't dock.
    Kept on missing the docking station - lined up correctly and at the last mo veering off gracefully to the left or right. Thought it might be the base station needing re-levelling but that didn't sort it. Off to a dealer (first time since I bought it) it went and it turned out to be one of the front mower sensors. Sorted and now the mower has a software update - now if you start it in the middle of the garden, instead of beeping and then turning on its blades and driving off, it just drives off and turns on the blades. I'm sure there are other fixes.
    If I had of thought of the sensors in the mower I could have used the engineers menu on the mower to diag. Will know better next time! :D

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    If I had of thought of the sensors in the mower I could have used the engineers menu on the mower to diag. Will know better next time! :D

Since you brought that up. There are some useful diagnostic and test options in the advanced menu, that is normally hidden.

For those that dont know, in the husqvarna's you do the following...

- Press Menu button
    - Press 7 and 9 keys together for a few seconds
    - A new menu appears

It has options for checking battery capacity, charging current, testing each sensor, boundary and guide wire signals, blade and wheel motor tests etc.... very useful for diagnosing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Another tip for Husqvarna docks - if it is flashing a blue LED and you are certain it isn't a boundary or follow out wire issue, unplug those cables (you can buzz those out from the base station) and check the voltage coming out of the boundary wire terminals with a multi-meter. It should be 28V+. If its down in the 10s, check the voltage coming from the PSU is to the spec of the label output on the brick, if thats OK then the PCB in the dock station is prob the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

Any recommendations for a robot mower house?? Need something heavy as it’s windy up here. Current house is too light had a few wizard of Oz moments picking up the house from the neighbours. No matter how I’ve tied it down.

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a robot mower house?? Need something heavy as it’s windy up here. Current house is too light had a few wizard of Oz moments picking up the house from the neighbours. No matter how I’ve tied it down.

My default answer to that questions is.... dont bother.
    Its designed for outdoor use, its not a pet! ;)
    Just bring it in for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭kilk

Apologies if this has been answered already, but this is a long thread!

I have 2 gardens, one in front and one at rear. Can a robotic mower be set to mow both gardens or do I need two separate mowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My default answer to that questions is.... dont bother.
    Its designed for outdoor use, its not a pet! ;)
    Just bring it in for the winter.

I'd agree however keeping the plastics etc in good order it's best kept out of the sun when not in use plus good for battery life when charging. All that heat from sun isn't ideal .

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I'd agree however keeping the plastics etc in good order it's best kept out of the sun when not in use plus good for battery life when charging. All that heat from sun isn't ideal .

The mower will spend a large amount of time outside in the sun regardless, so covering it wont really help unless you're OCD altogether and only send the mower out at night to protect the plastic.

I've mine 7yrs now. Its out for hours on end during the day. The plastic is fine. You're worrying about something that isnt really worth worrying about. By its very nature its designed for outdoor use.

The batteries have temp sensors on them. The Battery management system handles any issues there. I've replaced the batteries on mine for the first time this year and as I said its out in the sun all the time.

Advertisement