Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not arguing that they should be able to park there. i'm saying AJR's notion of handing out photos to people parking there is, well, ill-advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes. Illegally parked. Irritating and a hindrance. It's still the responsibility of the driver to drive in a safe manner. They didn't cause the driver to act in an unsafe manner, he made that decision himself.

And a crime.
    Parking vehicle in dangerous position.

55.— (1) A person shall not park a vehicle in a public place if, when so parked, the vehicle would be likely to cause danger to other persons using that place.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction—

(a) in the case of—

(i) a first offence, where any part of the period of the contravention was a period within lighting-up hours (as declared by regulations under section 11) during which the vehicle did not fulfil the requirements imposed by law with respect to lighting and reflectors, or

(ii) a second or any subsequent offence,

to a fine not exceeding €3,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month or to both, and

(b) in any other case, to a fine not exceeding €2,000.

(3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána is of opinion that a person is committing or has committed an offence under this section, he or she may arrest the person without warrant.”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

the people who parked in those spots are not responsible for her death. what you're suggesting sounds weirdly obnoxious.

I would say as they created an unnecessary and illegal hazard on a narrow road they must have some level of culpability. I don't know what percentage I would put on it, but it wouldn't be 0%.

One of the main problems with lack of adherance to road laws in Ireland is that people have a mental disconnect between their actions and how those actions can be a contributary factor to an traffic incident. It's the "ah shure it'll be grand.." mentality. Except this time it wasn't grand.

The main chunk of blame of course goes to the driver who didn't drive to the conditions. Having said that, I don't think it's completely outlandish to suppose that had the cars not been parked there illegally as they were could it have made the difference between a near miss and a tragedy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my reaction to that would be 'yes, but...' - it's up to any driver to drive in such a manner as to be able to successfully anticipate any hazard, especially a stationary one.
    people leaving cars badly and illegally parked are responsible for making the road more hazardous. if another driver fails to account for that, the result of that driver's actions are on the driver. 'it wouldn't have happened without' could end up doing a lot of heavy lifting there to excuse the driver.

anyway, i suspect we're very much in broad agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

huh. i was just thinking that i should tell my wife that should i ever die in similar circumstances, i want my funeral to be held in the church it happened outside, just to make my stupid ornery point.
    I'd make a visit myself, maybe with some photos of Tonya to hand out, while standing on the parking spots, if I thought they were still going to be there.

Perhaps a request to the priest to dedicate the next Sunday mass to the memory of the woman killed outside…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Perhaps a request to the priest to dedicate the next Sunday mass to the memory of the woman killed outside…

They've had more than one mass there in Tonya's memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes. Illegally parked. Irritating and a hindrance. It's still the responsibility of the driver to drive in a safe manner. They didn't cause the driver to act in an unsafe manner, he made that decision himself.

Clearly the Court disagrees with you, and isn't going to enforce this law. So the only way to stop this from happening again is to move the illegal parkers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

They’d probably illegally park to pack into the church for that one too. The irony would be lost on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just to call back to the DublinLive article about the parklets in New Street, Malahide. This sounds promising:
    https://twitter.com/CllrEOB/status/1398338038367989760

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

"Empty vessels make the most noise"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 CHESSMUTANT

MOD VOICE: Post deleted. Anything that doesn't reach the low bar of civilised discussion going forward gets banned, no warnings, no cards, just a ban. This is an emotive topic, but if someone is being a prick, report their post and it will be moderated. If you respond in thread, you will get the same punishment that the post you should have reported will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Very little argument about the motivation of the driver in this video.

https://twitter.com/Hackneycyclist/status/1398326243649634305

There's a good chance that the lad was part of a group who filter in and out through traffic which can be seen in many cities and the driver could well have been annoyed at this.
    Still no excuse for attempted assault with a vehicle.
    First response to the tweet shows how the owner of the car feels about the rules of the road themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Thats attempted murder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just wait for the typical nonsense on social media, why was the video started there. As if whatever might of happened before (which is likely nothing) excuses what happened in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

All hell will break loose...the cyclist is a person of colour.
    Bicyclist Lives Matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭micar

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just wait for the typical nonsense on social media, why was the video started there. As if whatever might of happened before (which is likely nothing) excuses what happened in the video.

Didn't have to wait too long.

The driver shouldn't have done that but.....

On this suburban road, a lot of kids are now cycling. They'll signal to change lanes - and the drivers will keep racing past them. What is wrong with people? Children! Little boys of ten or twelve!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭carfinder

On this suburban road, a lot of kids are now cycling. They'll signal to change lanes - and the drivers will keep racing past them. What is wrong with people? Children! Little boys of ten or twelve!
    What road are you referring to? and was there a specific incident? the posts sounds very "wont someone think of the children" - fair enough if that's all it is, but not sure of the point you're making

I'm referring to the road I live on, which I'd prefer not to name. Sorry if my observation of driver behaviour offends you.

you will find a certain cohort who don't regard kids on bikes as being legitimate road users, unfortunately. or anyone on bikes, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭carfinder

I'm referring to the road I live on, which I'd prefer not to name. Sorry if my observation of driver behaviour offends you.

Not sure how you deduced I was offended by your post - for clarity, I'm not offended at all - you're post is fairly pointless, complaining about unknown driver behaviour on an undisclosed road. Your "wont someone think of the children" themed post reminds me of another Simpsons meme "Angry man shouts at cloud" :pac::D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

carfinder wrote: »
    Not sure how you deduced I was offended by your post - for clarity, I'm not offended at all - you're post is fairly pointless, complaining about unknown driver behaviour on an undisclosed road. Your "wont someone think of the children" themed post reminds me of another Simpsons meme "Angry man shouts at cloud" :pac::D

MOD VOICE: Engage with the post, do not attack the poster, only warning

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

A reminder to read the charter. In particular:
    There are lots of places on the internet where you can have a rant about cyclists. This isn't one of them. This is a place for people with an interest in cycling to discuss cycling. If you treat it as a venue for holding all cyclists to account for perceived or actual misbehaviour by some, you can expect to find your access swiftly removed. In short, we are not your punching bag. If you really do want do want an answer to your gripe, do a search. The usual topics, such as cycle lanes, cycling two abreast etc. have been discussed, ad nauseam, many, many times before.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Anyone hear the Simon Harris comments on Morning Ireland? Indirectly related to cycling but nonetheless.

Basically, he pointed finger of blame for crowds gathering in Dublin City Centre, not at the crowds but at the councils that have not done enough to prepare for outdoor gatherings.

Basically not giving people enough options, not enough outdoor spaces.

And the same Fine Gael government were the ones that overruled the OPW and re-opened the Phoenix Park to traffic last year, almost on the first day the government was formed.

Dublin City Council get hammered on social media everytime they announce a new cycle lane, or pedestrianised street. And yet here is this guy saying they are not doing enough.

Heard someone on later in the morning possibly Chu detailing the number of extra bins and toilets being put on despite the fact that there should be no need of then since mass gatherings are not permitted yet.

The businesses operating take away should have been made contribute to the cost of the clean up needed after last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Heard someone on later in the morning possibly Chu detailing the number of extra bins and toilets being put on despite the fact that there should be no need of then since mass gatherings are not permitted yet.

The businesses operating take away should have been made contribute to the cost of the clean up needed after last weekend.

It beggars belief. Really, how difficult is it to bring a backpack and put your empty beer cans in it.

But no, its the councils fault for not having enough bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The place will still be destroyed regardless of how many bins there are. My local park gets hammered with rubbish whenever the weather is nice, constantly seeing pictures on Facebook of mounds of rubbish left on Bull Island, a nature reserve ffs.
    This isn't something we can change overnight, it's a cultural thing, people have no civic pride here and don't care about littering, I'm not sure how to change that but something needs to be done pretty soon or we'll be living in one giant rubbish tip.

Advertisement