Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think it was a mistake of Cannon to make it about cycling, rather than all footage - dashcam, bikecam (both pedal and motorbike), phones (I use my phone while walking). Too easy to dismiss "cyclists".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cannon's Question and subsequent (PFO?) response...

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1400731397632016386

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The thing that gets me about the Ciaran Cannon piece is this:
    The matter was raised in a debate last night by Ciaran Cannon TD (FG), who has campaigned on cycling issues. However, his request for an online portal, like that in operation in the UK, was met with a confusing response from Minister for State Peter Burke TD (FG).Despite the fact cyclists’ self-recorded videos have already been successfully used against drivers, Mr Burke told the Dáil such footage was not reliable enough to be used as evidence.

I suppose it illustrates that there is no party view on this.

And the way its reported will make Ciaran Cannon look like some sort of extremist, the looney left or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭hesker

Burke’s response might be best described as a “can’t do attitude”. Predictably lazy issue avoidance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Recycled answer from the minimum distance passing debates....

• Advertisement

Not a hi vis in sight !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    ]Despite the fact cyclists’ self-recorded videos have already been successfully used against drivers, Mr Burke told the Dáil such footage was not reliable enough to be used as evidence.[/I]
    And yet, we hear regular calls from the Gardai for dashcam footage to help investigate incidents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Public set to be allowed to appeal speed limits on roads nationwide
    Minister for Transport widening remit to make roads safer for walkers and cyclists after pledge in programme for government
    https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/public-set-to-be-allowed-to-appeal-speed-limits-on-roads-nationwide-2adf75c9

article is paywalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Minister for Transport widening remit to make roads safer for walkers and cyclists after pledge in programme for government
    https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/public-set-to-be-allowed-to-appeal-speed-limits-on-roads-nationwide-2adf75c9

article is paywalled.

The 80kph on the Enniskerry Road will be my first submission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

article is paywalled.

I'd be happy if they just enforced the existing limits on a more widespread basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

On a final written warning, he should have been on his very best behaviour, let alone messing during working hours and endangering people. Deserved to go!

Not necessarily cycling related but more road safety: Mayo County Council are just being feckin stupid here.
    Their message effectively is speed up to avoid causing incidents.
    For f**ks sake :rolleyes:
    ”Slow drivers may unknowingly contribute to other motorists making sometimes fatal overtaking manoeuvres. This can be prevented by regularly checking your mirrors and being aware of what is behind your vehicle.”

https://twitter.com/MayoCoCo/status/1402594661395582985

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Not necessarily cycling related but more road safety: Mayo County Council are just being feckin stupid here.
    Their message effectively is speed up to avoid causing incidents.
    For f**ks sake :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/MayoCoCo/status/1402594661395582985

Maybe read the article - it's asking people to be more aware of other users on the road. Whether I'm in my car, or on my bike, or on foot, then that's a message that I'd prefer more road users to take heed of.

Noel Gibbons, Road Safety Officer with Mayo County Council said: “We are not advocating for drivers to speed up. .............

What they should endeavour to do is drive at the speed appropriate to the conditions; if they’re not comfortable in doing that, we’re not asking them to speed up, we’re asking them to give way to following vehicles.

Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson helps Heavy Metal Truants raise over £1 million for charity
    By Classic Rock (Classic Rock) 1 day ago

Bruce Dickinson and Heavy Metal Truants worldwide cycle, run and walk 37,917 miles to help raise £1 million for charity

https://www.loudersound.com/news/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-helps-heavy-metal-truants-raise-over-pound1-million-for-charity

He's no stranger to the bike. Didn't he ride to Download one year for the same charity?

blackwhite wrote: »
    Maybe read the article - it's asking people to be more aware of other users on the road. Whether I'm in my car, or on my bike, or on foot, then that's a message that I'd prefer more road users to take heed of.
    I did read it!
    Gibbons is putting the onus on slower drivers to increase their speed to a speed "appropriate" for the conditions simply because there is a driver behind them that wants to pass.
    It is completely the wrong message and tells impatient drivers that the slow driver in front of them is in the wrong simply because they are driving more slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...It is completely the wrong message and tells impatient drivers that the slow driver in front of them is in the wrong simply because they are driving more slowly.

While bad drivers might wilfully misinterpret the message to suit themselves as you describe, they were always going to drive badly anyway.

Studies show that drivers whose speed is furthest from the average (either higher or lower) are most likely to cause/be involved in a collision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the pull quote was a direct quote from the mayo CoCo road safety officer, and as such it was a travesty of a thing for a road safety officer to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Type 17 wrote: »
    While bad drivers might wilfully misinterpret the message to suit themselves as you describe, they were always going to drive badly anyway.

Studies show that drivers whose speed is furthest from the average (either higher or lower) are most likely to cause/be involved in a collision.

Have you a source for that, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭DJB030244

Eamonnator wrote: »

Is his source reliable even !

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I did read it!
    Gibbons is putting the onus on slower drivers to increase their speed to a speed "appropriate" for the conditions simply because there is a driver behind them that wants to pass.
    It is completely the wrong message and tells impatient drivers that the slow driver in front of them is in the wrong simply because they are driving more slowly.

When doing driving lessons, I was encouraged to keep with the speed of the traffic, ie, drive at a speed that is comfortable in the area, even if it meant breaking the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    When doing driving lessons, I was encouraged to keep with the speed of the traffic, ie, drive at a speed that is comfortable in the area, even if it meant breaking the speed limit.
    Did you have the sense not to try that on the test though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Eamonnator wrote: »

My source is observing the world around me - why are cyclists, pedestrians, tractors, etc not allowed on motorways? - their speed varies too far from the mean.

Why have authorities introduced electronically-controlled variable speed limits on busy roads? - to cut down on speed variability.

Why do roads have speed limits? - to cut the top off the curve of the divergence from the mean speed (85th percentile rule).

As cyclists, do we feel more comfortable cycling on roads where the mean vehicle speeds are very different to ours (eg:100km/h) or where they are closer to ours (eg:30km/h)?

However, if you want peer-reviewed sources, here you go:

https://www.itf-oecd.org/sites/default/files/docs/speed-crash-risk.pdf (see: Effects of individual speed choice)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0386111216300449

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

TheChizler wrote: »
    Did you have the sense not to try that on the test though?

Well I passed, it was about 15 years ago. I did as instructed, ie, float around the speed limit where conditions allowed me to do so. You would be naive to think that breaking the speed limit by a small amount isn't somewhat accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Paddigol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

the pull quote was a direct quote from the mayo CoCo road safety officer, and as such it was a travesty of a thing for a road safety officer to say.

Telling people to "drive at the speed appropriate to the conditions; if they’re not comfortable in doing that, we’re not asking them to speed up, we’re asking them to give way to following vehicles" is a travesty now :confused:

Imagine a road safety officer encouraging road users not to drive at inappropriate speeds, and asking them to show consideration for other road users. The horror :pac:

Type 17 wrote: »
    My source is observing the world around me - why are cyclists, pedestrians, tractors, etc not allowed on motorways? - their speed varies too far from the mean.

Why have authorities introduced electronically-controlled variable speed limits on busy roads? - to cut down on speed variability.

Why do roads have speed limits? - to cut the top off the curve of the divergence from the mean speed (85th percentile rule).

As cyclists, do we feel more comfortable cycling on roads where the mean vehicle speeds are very different to ours (eg:100km/h) or where they are closer to ours (eg:30km/h)?

However, if you want peer-reviewed sources, here you go:

https://www.itf-oecd.org/sites/default/files/docs/speed-crash-risk.pdf (see: Effects of individual speed choice)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0386111216300449
    first point, it's not specifically because their speed varies too much from the mean, it's because they're too slow and exposed for a motorway.
    why speed limits? it's not about cutting the top layer of divergence off, it's because driving at 50km/h over what a road can sustain is vastly more dangerous than driving at 50km/h, in most circumstances.

most of your points make the point that excess speed is dangerous, not that deviation from the mean is.

also, that second link is not about deviation from the mean, from a quick scan? it's a study of the effect of the mean itself on accident rates.

• Advertisement

Telling people to "drive at the speed appropriate to the conditions; if they’re not comfortable in doing that, we’re not asking them to speed up, we’re asking them to give way to following vehicles" is a travesty now :confused:

Imagine a road safety officer encouraging road users not to drive at inappropriate speeds, and asking them to show consideration for other road users. The horror :pac:
    that's clearly not the quote i was referring to. for clarity, this was it:
    Slow drivers may unknowingly contribute to other motorists making sometimes fatal overtaking manoeuvres. This can be prevented by regularly checking your mirrors and being aware of what is behind your vehicle.
    that's the same sort of bollockology which results in 'you cyclists forced me to overtake on that bad bend'.

Advertisement