Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second car - 5k(ish) budget

• 31-05-2021 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

We're in the process of moving house, and the location will mean we need a second car for me when the family car is in use. I'd like something that isn't prone to massive regular repairs (my experience with older BMW and Audi), not too expensive to run, and if at all possible something that looks and drives reasonably nicely. Definitely petrol, given the mileage it will get. Automatic would be the cherry on the cake, but I'm not expecting to get it. Budget isn't massive; €5kish.

After an hour on Donedeal, a 2010/11 Astra stands out purely on looks and costs but I have no idea what they are like for reliability / known problems. Any advice?

I am also tempted to stretch a bit higher for a VW Scirocco in 1.4 petrol based purely on looks, but again I know nothing about them so all feedback welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kia Pro Ceed do anything for you?

Very reliable and decent equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Kia Pro Ceed do anything for you?

Very reliable and decent equipment.

Hadnt really heard of that model, but something like this does look interesting...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-pro-ceed-1-4-strike-special-edition/27902763

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That one seems a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

We're in the process of moving house, and the location will mean we need a second car for me when the family car is in use. I'd like something that isn't prone to massive regular repairs (my experience with older BMW and Audi), not too expensive to run, and if at all possible something that looks and drives reasonably nicely. Definitely petrol, given the mileage it will get. Automatic would be the cherry on the cake, but I'm not expecting to get it. Budget isn't massive; €5kish.

After an hour on Donedeal, a 2010/11 Astra stands out purely on looks and costs but I have no idea what they are like for reliability / known problems. Any advice?

I am also tempted to stretch a bit higher for a VW Scirocco in 1.4 petrol based purely on looks, but again I know nothing about them so all feedback welcome!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-5-2004-full-history-only-25-000-miles/28271765

NGM1YmNhMmJhOGYzYzJiZmQyOThhYmVmZjE4ZTVjMGW5CgA7cb0OsKifyCuSxSOiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODIwOTI3MTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner 9-5 2.0t with 25k miles and 13 service stamps, NCT til February 2022 and tax til September of this year, €2000

This is absolutely lovely.

Perhaps worth considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Check out the Prius in bangernomics thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Saab and Prius above are sold, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement