Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sound of Metal.

Slow moving but really enjoyed it.
    Far better film than Nomadland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Army Of The Dead

Pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

olvias wrote: »
    Wrath of Man 6.5/10.

Better than i thought it would be. Also seemed a bit strange that we were kept guessing on the insider and the heist team, only for it to be shoved in our faces all at once. It went a bit downhill and predictable from there, but the final heist was pretty cool.

Josh Hartnett was wasted as was Niamh Algar (she was great in Raised by Wolves!)

Watched half hour of it last night. Had watched Bad Boys 3 before it, and didn't have the stamina for another 2 hours of gun fights and explosions.
    Enjoyed it and looking forward to watching the rest of it tonight. Stratham is good at playing the moody smart-ass.

Didn't recognise that to be Niamh Algar - one of our own. She was good in Calm with Horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Just rewatching Hell or High Water. Again. Such a great film.

not seen that, trailer makes it look like a more cheery No country for old men? which I rewatched recently

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    not seen that, trailer makes it look like a more cheery No country for old men? which I rewatched recently

It's excellent, I highly recommend it. Jeff Bridges is superb. The film just motors along.

• Advertisement

One that I haven't seen mentioned is Bone Tomahawk.

A reviewer described it as "The Hills Have Eyes meets Wyatt Earp" which is probably the best film description ever.

Very violent, but a great watch.

One that I haven't seen mentioned is Bone Tomahawk.

A reviewer described it as "The Hills Have Eyes meets Wyatt Earp" which is probably the best film description ever.

Very violent, but a great watch.

It didn't get huge amounts of attention but it's a superb western horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Return of the Jedi on Blu-ray

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Stargate 1994

Stargate is an all right Sci-fi adventure. Some great style points in costume etc and some other nifty elements help smooth over the kind of pedestrian plot and general gammyishness. The concept is pretty good and was rightly explored further in the spinoff TV series. I'm usually anti remake but I'd like to see a sequel or remake of this done with a more serious tone and modern effects with someone like Denis Villeneuve or similar caliber at the helm.

6.8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It didn't get huge amounts of attention but it's a superb western horror.
    Yeah- even without 'that scene', it's a great film; a really well told, literally savage film that starts off slow, but is craftily unpredictable, making it gripping viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yeah- even without 'that scene', it's a great film; a really well told, literally savage film that starts off slow, but is craftily unpredictable, making it gripping viewing.

If you like westerns and shoot outs would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

olvias wrote: »
    Hounds of Love (2016)

A couple who kidnap and terrorise a young woman in the suburbs of Perth, and was loosely based upon the crimes of David and Catherine Birnie.

Came across this film on the Arrow Video website when buying Thief (1981)

Pretty intense in places, uncomfortably so at times. All in all, well worth a watch.

7.5/10
    I saw that in the cinema at a film festival I think....it made my skin crawl...not in a bad way, surprised it didn't receive more attention very good film

billyhead wrote: »
    If you like westerns and shoot outs would you recommend it?

You'll likely like it but you also have to be okay with some pretty extreme horror elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just watched a great little Australian Murder Mystery movie called The Dry with a great performance by Eric Bana. I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10. Trailer below

A Simple Favo(u)r - 2018

Anna Kendrick and the not visually unappealing Blake Lively star in this quirky thriller-ish + comedy caper based off a quickly developed friendship and subsequent missing person. It's decent but does go off the rails a bit towards the end imo but still worth a watch overall.

6.1 / 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Mare Of Easttown - Very good. Terrific performance by Kate Winslet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The Father.
    Director Florian Zeller.
    Writers Christopher Hampton, Florian Zeller.
    Stars Anthony Hopkins, Olivia Colman, Mark Gatiss, Olivia Williams, Imogen Poots.

Just wanted to add my voice to those on this thread that praised this piece.
    I went in blind, didn't watch any promos or read any reviews, I just knew the cast and that it was received positively.
    Cleverly crafted and I hope I get the chance to see how it would be delivered on stage some time. Anthony Hopkins is stunning in this, that final scene is heartbreaking and a bit scary to be honest. A must watch if you're a fan of Hopkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just watched a great little Australian Murder Mystery movie called The Dry with a great performance by Eric Bana. I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10. Trailer below

Just watched this one last night. Actually a great film though the ending kinda ran out of steam - not a bad ending exactly, just didn't live up to everything the film had built up.

Enjoyed it though, great performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Event Horizon (1997)

I had never seen this film before, but I've heard a lot of conflicting reviews of this thing from various friends of mine and other online discussion sites. Some people love this film, others will think it total garbage, others then are somewhere in between. After watching it I find myself in the in-between range but veering heavily into the total garbage zone. The premise is fine, but it has been done countless times in other far better crafted films, interdimensional close encounters that have far more weight and substance to them, films like 'The Shining', 'Solaris' etc. They do the interdimensional aspect here just fine though, and it involves nice subplots both of interdimensional space travel and also of the dangers of science and taking things too far in this modern infallible realm. Production and set design is also really good. Its just too all over the place in other aspects of the direction and story. Some of the sequential editing in some of the action scenes is off the scale bad, jittery and incoherent. Some of the acting and timing of dialogue is really, really bad, but then in some other scenes it can be done really well, Lawrence Fishburne probably the main reason for that, the "...We're Leaving" scene for example, but that only goes on for 20 seconds. This thing really takes off into the garbage zone in the last 20 minutes or so where it seems the makers just decided to give up on aspects of story, editing, sound design, you name it, this thing looses it in the last act bigtime. Was nice to finally see it after hearing so much, but will probably never watch it ever again 4/10

Ghostbusters (1984)

Just genius entertainment crafting, the likes of which we will probably never see again. Its just such a well crafted piece of work in every single department, story, acting, timing, delivery, effects, editing, soundtrack. Timeless. What makes this thing so special to me, apart from the genius dry comedic delivery, is the overlooked occult aspects that are interwoven so subtlety and brilliantly into the story. Aspects that subliminally add the effect of menace and dread into what is a brilliant but total comedic caper. Stories about Sumerian Gods, dead pulsars, secret societies and architects designing buildings to reach other dimensions or universe's. This was probably all Ackroyd's doing, as he is interested in the occult and has been for years, the way that stuff is so brilliantly blended into this film just gives the thing such weight to the story. Like that scene in the jail when they start discussing these occult aspects and all the inmates start listening really attentively to this craic, because it IS interesting and also entertaining, all this added with brilliant dry and satirical comedic aspects it's still a 10/10

Come and See (1985)

War is Hell and this film is the best probable depiction of the term that I have ever seen.
    Set in 1943 Nazi occupied Belorussia, it follows the journey of a young boy who sets out to join the resistance against the occupying forces, but this is no heroic tale of war glorifying valour or any of that noise. This film is as rough and harrowing as anything you are likely to see from a online liveleak video from some actual unfortunate war Hellscape in the modern era. It's brilliant, still holds up well. Will probably hold up well forever given that it actually shows up the horror of war for what it is and delvers it straight into your face. Highly Recommend, just not on your night off at the weekend trying to relax. Watch this at work or somewhere else where you are not supposed to relax, if you can. 9/10

Army of The Dead (2021)

Too long, too much pointless and totally unwarranted stuff going on in this to be any way enjoyable. The thing badly suffers from having some of the best action sequences and imagery showcased over the title credits at the start, showcased over some song from the 60's ala 'Watchmen', at least I think it was some 60's song, I can't remember and I don't care. The next 2 hours is this 'Aliens'ish rip off where a rag tag of heroes and company men descend into the lair of deadly flesh eating creatures, but unlike 'Aliens', all the flesh eating creatures in this thing are asleep in their gaffs. Then you go through all this boring walking around until the last 30 minutes when some of the other supposedly intelligent flesh eating creatures get mad about something that happened to their king and some lady has to be rescued because she went into the lair of the flesh eating zombies for no reason whatsoever. Its just really badly executed and it goes on for way way too long than it needs to. It could have been half decent if it was whittled down to 1hr 30 and a lot of this needless stuff was eradicated. 3/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Homelander wrote: »
    Just watched this one last night. Actually a great film though the ending kinda ran out of steam - not a bad ending exactly, just didn't live up to everything the film had built up.

Enjoyed it though, great performances.

Watched it (The Dry) last night. I was absolutely loving it, but feel a bit short-changed with the ending. It was such a serious movie with an underlying degree of tension and intensity being built up. But then the last 20 minutes just felt a little shallow.

Overall I would still recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 joe1010

Before watching Denis Villeneuve's film 'DUNE'
    I watched David Lynch's 1984 film 'DUNE' again.
    Good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Firing up Speed for its annual run.

Along with Die Hard this one has everything. Pretty much non stop action from the start. Hard to believe its nearly 30 years old. Apart from the office/lift scene which the clothes may date its timeless.

Bona fide classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Last Boy Scout

one of my favourite action movies , admittedly not great but I just enjoy both leads and the bad guys are great too , probably would not get made today even half the dialogue was dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

joe1010 wrote: »
    Before watching Denis Villeneuve's film 'DUNE'
    I watched David Lynch's 1984 film 'DUNE' again.
    Good movie.

Check out the documentary "Jodorowsky's Dune" Its about an Original Dune film that never got off the ground.

The gangster, the cop, the devil

A really terrific thriller/crime movie from south Korea. Some top notch right scenes and fair amount of violence.
    Available on iplayer.

Blurb below
    A vengeful crime boss forms an unlikely partnership with a detective to catch the elusive serial killer who viciously attacked him.

I can see why remake rights have been snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Crank 2 - High Voltage (2009)

I never seen the Crank part one but I was assured that this fact would not matter whatsoever and it definitely didn't. I never laughed so much in my life watching this thing. Basically a Grand Theft Auto console game made somewhat flesh as a motion picture film. Its just plain ridiculous and violent with literally no sense of any sort of moral framework to it whatsoever. The sequential editing is just fantastic, so is the soundtrack and sound design to go with it. Nearly all of the comedic timing in the delivery of images and dialogue is just off the scale good. Its brilliantly shot and looks extremely modern, well it is I suppose, it being made in 2009. But when watching this thing, you soon realise there is no way this film would have been released nowadays in 2021. This thing literally does not give a $hite about who or what it is going to offend, which is really brilliant and also really refreshing to see in a somewhat modern action film. If you've never seen this thing or the other one and just want to enjoyably lose the brain at the door over a few beers, this is the yoke to do it 9/10

John Wick 3 Panalabalumumum (2019)

The first 10 minutes of this is very good but then it descends into the exact same action sequences over again and again along with this ridiculous half mythological, shiny, plastic morality based framework in a film about criminals, assassins and contract killers. It gets very boring very fast and you end up having to immediately stick on Crank 2 again. 3/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If you loved Crank 2, Crank is even better.

gmisk wrote: »
    The gangster, the cop, the devil

A really terrific thriller/crime movie from south Korea. Some top notch right scenes and fair amount of violence.
    Available on iplayer.

Blurb below
    A vengeful crime boss forms an unlikely partnership with a detective to catch the elusive serial killer who viciously attacked him.

I can see why remake rights have been snapped up.

Aw, man, so many good South Korean films that haven't been mentioned on here.

I Saw the Devil.

A Bittersweet life.

Old Boy.

I Saw the Devil.

A Bittersweet life.

Old Boy.
    They definitely make some top notch stuff.
    I would also recommend the wailing if people havent seen it.
    Oh and Memories of murder which had a cinema re-release not that long ago.

• Advertisement

I Saw the Devil.

A Bittersweet life.

Old Boy.

Going to get into these Korean movies. I can get Memories of Murder and The Gangster, the cop and the devil.

Any idea where I could watch the ones you suggested i.e.
    I Saw the Devil.
    A Bittersweet life.
    Old Boy.

I saw the Hollywood version of Old Boy and really enjoyed it. Very good premise for a movie.

Advertisement