Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You Only Live Twice on DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Walkabout , a 1971 Australian film, its up on Youtube. Nice visuals as mostly set in the outback, its an artsy fartsy allegorical film but engrossing none the less, you will be left with questions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

silverharp wrote: »
    Walkabout , a 1971 Australian film, its up on Youtube. Nice visuals as mostly set in the outback, its an artsy fartsy allegorical film but engrossing none the less, you will be left with questions

You forgot to mention Jenny Agutter!

walkaboutja02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Del.Monte wrote: »

walkaboutja02.jpg
    She was 17 in those nude scenes. Most film boards seem to have talked themselves out of banning it, but it was a close-run thing.

walkaboutja02.jpg

I was trying to be classy, but id imagine it was quite the coming of age movie for that generation

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    She was 17 in those nude scenes. Most film boards seem to have talked themselves out of banning it, but it was a close-run thing.

In my defense your honour I did the maths based on when the film came and went feeewww, she is at least 18. There is a clip of her on yt talking about the film and she said she was 16 . The yt copy censors her bits and bobs anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lol well this thread has got a little yikes. If you gotta do mental math on someone's age, they're already too young ;):D

tenor.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Trial of the Chicago 7.

Really enjoyed this. Felt like a chunk was missing at the start went straight into trial mode nearly, but worked ultimately. Performances were spot on, all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JonasBlane

Really Enjoyed Banshee one of my all time fav series

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »

At least 18 possibly 19 as she was born 20th December 1952.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

At least 18 possibly 19 as she was born 20th December 1952.
    No. This is well known film history. I assume you're just taking the copyright date of the film and eyeballing the filming date.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wiki says "Filming began in Sydney in August 1969" so she wouldn't have been 17 by that point.

I believe Thora Birch was 16 in American Beauty, Kiera Knightly was 15 or 16 in The Hole and Milla Jovovich 15 or 16 in Return to the Blue Lagoon. I know there have been more.
    No reason for it, no matter what the makers might say the reason is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

48 Hours

Walter Hills superb buddy movie with a twist starring a top notch Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte. Hadn't seen it in years and i enjoyed it just as much as I did previously. Tight script, tight pacing and real chemistry between the leads, really good watch.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭joficeduns1

The Witch

A very accessible and watchable film, considering it's setting and language. Eggers has a skill for mystery, but I could've used some traditional horror elements to scratch that itch. Still, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Here Are The Young Men.
    Irish film about three Dublin teenagers, starring Anna Taylor Joy, well filmed and good acting but I didn't think much of it all..

Maybe I'm just missing the bigger/deeper meaning..
    4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Watched The Father last night and Anthony Hopkins very much is worthy of winning the Academy award. It was brilliantly written, leaving the viewer with a sense of how confusing things must be to someone unfortunate enough to have the same affliction as AH's character. Similar in a sense to Memento for how it immerses you, giving you the feeling of being in their shoes as you watch it.

It's very sad and a hard watch as it progresses. It's a terrible disease which you would hate to have happen to a loved one.

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Mystic River

Three childhood friends who go their own ways as adults in gritty working class Boston. A murder case occurs but there is a whole more to it

I loved it, thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

St Vincent

Heart warming comedy Drama. Bill Murray stars. Bit of a laugh. Good to see Bill actually act and play a Character other than just being Bill Murray.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Managed to get to watch Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Mugen Train recently. Was very pumped for it, as the first season was amazing. It did suffer from not having a full season building up to it, but it kept the quality from the series. Ufotable have set the bar very high for anime in the last few years, and they did it again with Mugen Train. Can see why it broke all the records in Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The sound of metal

superb , terrific acting by everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Nobody. What a flipping great movie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Simpsons Movie on Blu-ray. Very funny

Someone mentioned Mystic River a while back and I'm just re-watching after about 15 years. Good call:-)

The Dry with Eric Bana is a great little Aussie thriller. Bana plays Aaron Falk, a federal agent who returns to the hometown he left abruptly as a teenager to attend the funeral of his childhood friend, Luke, who is apparently responsible for a murder suicide. Although intending to leave as quickly as possible, Falk is persuaded by Luke's parents to look at the case to try and clear their son's name. While investigating with the local cop, Falk starts to believe the case isn't as clear cut as many believe and that the case might have a connection to the death of one of their friends 13 years before. The films switches between the present and the past leading up to the tragic death of Aaron's friend. The flashbacks to a summer in his adolescence playing in the river with his friends highlights the devastation caused to the community by the drought it is now suffering and Falk's return acts as a tinderbox reigniting old tensions. Well worth a watch.

did watch this with some friends in the end and it's a pleasing adaptation of the book.

7.2 / 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

JonasBlane wrote: »
    Really Enjoyed Banshee one of my all time fav series

massively underrated

"Vengeance" (2017) on Amazon Prime.

Tripe, despite starring Nicolas Cage. Revenge thriller yawn movie.

Do yourself a favour and watch the trailer instead. 2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

s8n wrote: »
    massively underrated

Banshee is bonkers. So much violence and sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Shot Caller 2017

Decent prison/gang movie. Stars Nikolaj Coster. It not really anything you haven't seen before but still well done. I see it has a 7.3 on imdb. For me, I give it 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Rewatched Heat tonight.
    The 1995 classic by Michael Mann strring De Niro and Pacino.
    It gets better with age, an absolute masterpiece.

Bizarrely it didnt receive one Oscar nomination.
    Heat, Seven and the Usual Suspects were all released in the same year 1995, and none was nominated for best picture.
    3 absolute classics.

Advertisement