Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Raced City of Lisburn AC meet in Belfast today. Other than the blocks being sprayed before each race, the grandstand being closed, and a token announcement by the announcer to remember social distancing where possible, it was just like any other track meet I have ever run in 2019 and before. The changing rooms were even open (though showers were closed) and I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a mask.

The relays at the end without batons was a little odd, but overall it really felt like I was part of normality today. Walked 1.8 miles to a lovely beer garden after and had 2 delicious pints.

Meanwhile, down here we are pissing about with 100 limits per competition. Give me strength!!

Does the north have different rules to the uk. As wearing masks in that meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

Does the north have different rules to the uk. As wearing masks in that meeting?

Rules in the UK (re Covid-19 restrictions in general) differ in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭token56

Reports here that 400 people will be allowed into the grounds for the National Athletics Championships on June 26th which will include spectators.

Link 1
    Link 2

Very slow progress but some positive news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

token56 wrote: »
    Reports here that 400 people will be allowed into the grounds for the National Athletics Championships on June 26th which will include spectators.

Link 1
    Link 2

Very slow progress but some positive news.

I fecking hope those of us competing aren't subjected to getting tested as part of this "experiment ".

Are races back ?

• Advertisement

Full credit to Athletics Ireland where it's due for getting Nationals onto the list of pilot events. No mean feat given all other sporting events on the list come from the mainstream sports of GAA, Soccer, Rugby and Horse Racing. Hopefully this will allow the event take place in a relatively normal manner.

Doesn't seem like testing is required for these pilot events from what I'm hearing.

Full credit to Athletics Ireland where it's due for getting Nationals onto the list of pilot events. No mean feat given all other sporting events on the list come from the mainstream sports of GAA, Soccer, Rugby and Horse Racing. Hopefully this will allow the event take place in a relatively normal manner.

Doesn't seem like testing is required for these pilot events from what I'm hearing.

All major sporting events in june was added to the list.

Would you get 400 spectators at the nationals?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

It seems to be just the first day of the Nationals that's a pilot event. There mightn't be many more than 400 looking to attend that day. It could even be less than that. The second day attracts a much bigger attendance - maybe at least 1,000 who'd be there purely as spectators.

Oiriallach wrote: »
    It seems to be just the first day of the Nationals that's a pilot event. There mightn't be many more than 400 looking to attend that day. It could even be less than that. The second day attracts a much bigger attendance - maybe at least 1,000 who'd be there purely as spectators.

RTE News mentioned "the weekend of 26th June" in context of Nationals so I'm guessing it's both days.

All major sporting events in june was added to the list.

I don't see any other sports on that list other than GAA, Rugby, Soccer, Horse Racing and Athletics.

• Advertisement

I don't see any other sports on that list other than GAA, Rugby, Soccer, Horse Racing and Athletics.

What other major sporting events is happening in June that are not on the list?

What other major sporting events is happening in June that are not on the list?

Every other sport that takes place in Ireland. I'm sure there are many national championships across a wide range of sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I fecking hope those of us competing aren't subjected to getting tested as part of this "experiment ".

Out of interest, why would you object to being tested?

Out of interest, why would you object to being tested?

100 quid a pop if PCR is required in advance.

Though if it's rapid antigen tests the organisers would bare the costs I'm sure.

I'm paranoid of the dreaded asymptomatic positive. I suspect I'm far from the only one.

There'll be some high profile medal favourites in Tokyo who will fall foul of this lottery. Vaccination will not be taken into account unfortunately.

World we live in now I guess.

I don't think there'll be any testing required for these pilot events though, according to RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I'm paranoid of the dreaded asymptomatic positive. I suspect.

Catch the real thing bud.....

OOnegative wrote: »
    Catch the real thing bud.....

Not making light of it, just to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Not making light of it, just to be clear.

I know you’re not and I understand your fears, but we can’t live life that way either. Genuinely thought of you today looking at my street and knowing you would love to sample it(dunno why).

Every other sport that takes place in Ireland. I'm sure there are many national championships across a wide range of sports.

The pilot scheme was a great idea by the government to hit the bigger sports.

Any other sport on going is so small that it would prove nothing..

Now.can the weather play ball for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

RTE News mentioned "the weekend of 26th June" in context of Nationals so I'm guessing it's both days.

Looks like its "up to 400" on the 26th.
    The Curragh horse racing meeting has 1000 per day.
    Interestingly the National championships are the only one which states "up to" for some reason, not sure why.

Ceepo wrote: »
    Looks like its "up to 400" on the 26th.
    The Curragh horse racing meeting has 1000 per day.
    Interestingly the National championships are the only one which states "up to" for some reason, not sure why.

Maybe the capacity of the stadium, parking limitations etc. ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Maybe the capacity of the stadium, parking limitations etc. ??

Yeah I'm sure that its based on capacity.
    The point I was making (badly) is the Curragh has 1000 per day in the caption. The national champs is 400 for Saturday the 26th, it doesn't say "per day"

Ceepo wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure that its based on capacity.
    The point I was making (badly) is the Curragh has 1000 per day in the caption. The national champs is 400 for Saturday the 26th, it doesn't say "per day"

Hopefully a typo mistake.

100 quid a pop if PCR is required in advance.

Though if it's rapid antigen tests the organisers would bare the costs I'm sure.

I'm paranoid of the dreaded asymptomatic positive. I suspect I'm far from the only one.

There'll be some high profile medal favourites in Tokyo who will fall foul of this lottery. Vaccination will not be taken into account unfortunately.

World we live in now I guess.

I don't think there'll be any testing required for these pilot events though, according to RTE news.

I think they will test you on the way in and then you have to go for another test in 5 and 10 days.

Say these will be the conditions on getting in. Provides them the data especially if the first test shows a positive, they can see if it spread or not.

All data

I think they will test you on the way in and then you have to go for another test in 5 and 10 days.

Say these will be the conditions on getting in. Provides them the data especially if the first test shows a positive, they can see if it spread or not.

All data

My understanding is that this won't be the case, but nothing confirmed officially yet.

Mary Peters was epic today. Hundreds of people there. I'd say easily 500 there at any given time. Great buzz about the place. Saw maybe 4 people in total wearing masks. The meet could have been from 2019 and you wouldn't know the difference. No covid tests upon entry there.

Outdoor sporting competition is not a risk, particularly when we have vulnerable vaccinated.

Just get on with it lads.

My understanding is that this won't be the case, but nothing confirmed officially yet.

Mary Peters was epic today. Hundreds of people there. I'd say easily 500 there at any given time. Great buzz about the place. Saw maybe 4 people in total wearing masks. The meet could have been from 2019 and you wouldn't know the difference. No covid tests upon entry there.

Outdoor sporting competition is not a risk, particularly when we have vulnerable vaccinated.

Just get on with it lads.

Agree out door activities are not a risk. But all countries are getting data and comparing this data together. This is how we learn in all.aspects of life.

The best way around this madness would have been to move Nationals to Belfast. Plenty of precident given National Indoors were there for many years until about 7 years ago. I was told the option was explored but is not possible due to "politics".

I'm drawing my own conclusions on what the exact reasons are. Athletics Ireland are under the thumb of Sport Ireland in terms of funding source, and Sport Ireland are under the thumb of Irish government who have no understanding of sport other than pints in a bar for Dublin v Kerry or Man United v Liverpool.

A proper National Championships at Mary Peters, with spectators populating that beautiful hill on the backstraight, would have been something special and would have had a real feeling of normality, the way yesterday's Irish Milers Meet did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The pilot scheme was a great idea by the government to hit the bigger sports.

Any other sport on going is so small that it would prove nothing..

Now.can the weather play ball for ye

Over 70,000 for the Canelo Alvarez v Sanders bout in the Dallas Cowboys stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Dublin Graded Meeting 1 in Tallaght on 9th June.

100s, 1500s and Hammer.

Entry opens on 2nd.

https://www.dublinathletics.com/

YFlyer wrote: »
    Over 70,000 for the Canelo Alvarez v Sanders bout in the Dallas Cowboys stadium.

Not related to anything I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 TheFinanceGod

Sacksian wrote: »
    Dublin Graded Meeting 1 in Tallaght on 9th June.

100s, 1500s and Hammer.

Entry opens on 2nd.

https://www.dublinathletics.com/

Only open to Dublin Club athletes. Annoying but look its progress.

Any word on our beloved Athletics Ireland and their "AAI Games" that is supposed to be happening in two weeks?

Advertisement