Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

mloc123 wrote: »
    Why not? The figures listed so far aren't crazy for the roles (excluding the joke ones of course).

The average salary in ireland is under 50 k. And median is lower still. And then you have people working part time etc.

And. It’s quite possible to live well enough on average salary too by the way. Once you have an affordable mortgage at least.

onrail wrote: »
    Don't mean to sound unappreciative, but when you factor in the stress and hours involved it's not really.

Plus, break out the violin again, anything marginal is taxed at approx 50%, so the benefit isn't as great as some may think. A guy on €35k might think someone on €70k is taking home twice as much as him (spoiler, he isn't).

I've even talked to people that considered turning down promotions because the extra pay would put them into the top tax bracket and they think they'd end up losing money. The tax system isn't as well known as we might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

fits wrote: »
    I don’t believe most people make anywhere near some figures being posted here.

A good majority of my friends are software engineers and I would well believe the software salaries. Most are easily north of 100k

The average salary in ireland is under 50 k. And median is lower still. And then you have people working part time etc.

And. It’s quite possible to live well enough on average salary too by the way. Once you have an affordable mortgage at least.

Again, some poor logic at play here. Yes, it's anonymous and some people may lie. Others may be too embarrassed to post and others happy to brag.

For example you yourself didn't post your salary, so you are affecting 'the average'.

I would suggest most that post are posting their salaries are genuine, the mistake is to think they are representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Rikand wrote: »
    A good majority of my friends are software engineers and I would well believe the software salaries. Most are easily north of 100k

No disrespect to anyone, but in my experience people on low end saleries tend to not understand it is possible to earn high saleries is what appear to be pretty normal jobs.

They assume that to earn over 100-150k you need to be some high power exec etc..

A relative of mine is convinced her cousin must be a drug dealer or doing something dodgy because he is able to afford house, car, holidays etc... He is an electrical contractor and obviously earns good money as it is in high demand at the moment. But she just can't accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Plus, break out the violin again, anything marginal is taxed at approx 50%, so the benefit isn't as great as some may think. A guy on €35k might think someone on €70k is taking home twice as much as him (spoiler, he isn't).

I've even talked to people that considered turning down promotions because the extra pay would put them into the top tax bracket and they think they'd end up losing money. The tax system isn't as well known as we might think.

I always turn down overtime.
    Not worth it for me to be working more with the tax on it. Id rather have the time to myself.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Not worth it for me to be working more with the tax on it. Id rather have the time to myself.

That's fair enough. But, it's not addressing the point I was making in what you bolded.

That's fair enough. But, it's not addressing the point I was making in what you bolded.

Turning down anything solely on the basis that it moves you into a higher tax bracket is just being stupid though. You dont have to pay the higher rate of tax on all your salary. Just that part in the higher bracket.

Now if they were turning it down because the extra money is not worth the extra time to them, thats much more rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Pheasant plucker. Well not really,my dad does it. Im only doing it till he comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭DopeTech

dinjo99 wrote: »
    I hang mirrors.

Salary isn't great but it was always a job I could see myself doing!

I used to be addicted to soap. I'm clean now though.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »

Im a software engineer and I dont know anyone bar people just starting out who are on less than €90k basic. Most would be over €100k.

Which is funny, because its starting out that it is fun and interesting. Then as you get older and more into the bureaucracy and daily grind it just burns you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

seannash wrote: »
    Very wide range of jobs in fairness care to narrow it down

Me IT systems admin on 52k

Can I ask what your job involves? Is it tough?

Now if they were turning it down because the extra money is not worth the extra time to them, thats much more rational.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

If you're on over 100k to start with, that's not at all surprising. A luxury that few can afford tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Im a software engineer and I dont know anyone bar people just starting out who are on less than €90k basic. Most would be over €100k.

Which is funny, because its starting out that it is fun and interesting. Then as you get older and more into the bureaucracy and daily grind it just burns you out.
    My favourite part is the recruiters on LinkedIn with a really interesting role that is 30% less money than you're currently earning. It's my opening question to every conversation with them

onrail wrote: »
    If you're on over 100k to start with, that's not at all surprising. A luxury that few can afford tbf

I've only ever had one job that had overtime, and even that was salary, my manager at the time brought it in to benefit herself and I got in on her coattails.

I have worked a LOT of unpaid extra hours in my career previously, but not anymore... just try not to head home on the dot. Seeing as I'm the second most senior person in the company :D

My favourite part is the recruiters on LinkedIn with a really interesting role that is 30% less money than you're currently earning. It's my opening question to every conversation with them

Recruiters are so very like estate agents. Every job is 'really interesting', every house is 'must view'.

On a serious note

Job: Sex addict
    Renumeration: 'F*ck all'

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

No disrespect to anyone, but in my experience people on low end saleries tend to not understand it is possible to earn high saleries is what appear to be pretty normal jobs.

They assume that to earn over 100-150k you need to be some high power exec etc..

Totally agree. I was in IT before the crash, then came over to HSE (ambulance service). Am on 30k now, and thats a few k more than starting salary as annual increments are automatic (yeah!!). With overtime and allowances it could be 40k pa. Bout half what I was on before. My team leader back in the day was well north of 80k and we were an average IT crowd not working the big se.xy stuff. My colleagues here think 100k+ is CEO stuff . . .

Recruiters are so very like estate agents. Every job is 'really interesting', every house is 'must view'.
    I'm referring to the ones who actually provide a job spec but I definitely accept what you've said there :)

• Advertisement

I'm referring to the ones who actually provide a job spec but I definitely accept what you've said there :)

Sorry, misread :pac:

Why am I overpaid in my current role ?

Now that I've read it properly :D:pac:

Totally agree. I was in IT before the crash, then came over to HSE (ambulance service). Am on 30k now, and thats a few k more than starting salary as annual increments are automatic (yeah!!). With overtime and allowances it could be 40k pa. Bout half what I was on before. My team leader back in the day was well north of 80k and we were an average IT crowd not working the big se.xy stuff. My colleagues here think 100k+ is CEO stuff . . .
    Because of public sector salary scales, the concept of <100k is insane to many people there. As an example, the role of Director of the National Cybersecurity Centre is unfilled and offers a salary of 89k. Nobody in private sector would take on that role for that money, needs to be at least double

At the risk of being shot, I think some senior staff in the HSE, such as hospital managers pay is low, possibly very low, especially compared to private hospitals. A private hospital manager with a multiple of the HSE equivalent and a fraction of the responsibilities. You'd have some in the HSE with CEO titles on approx €100k. My point being your colleagues may not be far off in their thinking, HSE wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don’t believe most people make anywhere near some figures being posted here.

I have two friends who have 170k and 180k combined incomes (both spouses work in both cases).

All four people are in their 50s, all four are top of the earnings in their jobs.

They are what anybody might consider "normal people" living in provincial towns.

Yes.

The average chartered accountant in Leinster earns 110k, that includes basic salary + extras.

https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/docs/default-source/dept-district-societies/leinster-district-society/salary-survey/chartered-accountants-leinster-society-salary-survey-2020.pdf?sfvrsn=c839ac7c_2

Geuze wrote: »

I was always been suspicious of that. It's also self selecting and self reporting. I've also known a few CA's that didn't like it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

My colleagues here think 100k+ is CEO stuff . . .

There's a biiiiiig disparity in competence between public and private on 100K. If you're on 100K in public sector you're likely extremely competent and perhaps would be C-suite stuff in private. Whereas you can earn near 100K in private and be completely green, antisocial, perhaps incompetent, and so on.

This was quite a shock to me moving from private sector.

I was always been suspicious of that. It's also self selecting and self reporting. I've also known a few CA's that didn't like it either.

A fair point. When I posted it years ago, it was also critiqued by other posters.

I can confirm that newly-qualified accountants in Dublin, are being offered 48k approx. That is for people aged 25 approx, after 6.5-7.5 years of college and training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

At the risk of being shot, I think some senior staff in the HSE, such as hospital managers pay is low, possibly very low, especially compared to private hospitals. A private hospital manager with a multiple of the HSE equivalent and a fraction of the responsibilities. You'd have some in the HSE with CEO titles on approx €100k. My point being your colleagues may not be far off in their thinking, HSE wise.
    Absolutely, I'm living in Portrane and have worked in IT for about 18 years so I took a look at the job spec when the role of Head of IT for the new Forensic Mental Health Service was posted and couldn't believe it was so low. Can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head but it was somewhere in the 50-60k range.

My Current position: Lead Data Analytics Consultant in an Irish SME that develop our own Data Consolidation, Analysis and Reporting platform. Salary is a shade over 70k and I rarely work more than 9 to 5:30 (though in non covid years can end up travelling for work a couple of times a month).

Advertisement