Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Alarming' rise in False Widow spiders in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Interesting most recorded bites are while people are in bed because I had read somewhere they mostly stay out doors or half in half out environments.

Ahhh here, I'm emigrating

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Any boardsies been bitten?

I may have been bitten by one a couple of years ago. I thought it was just a normal pregnant-looking spider. It bit the back of my hand when I was trying to put it outside. A bit like a wasp sting, but not as painful (although it's at least 30 years since I've been stung by a wasp, so I don't know) and no noticeable swelling afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

"Advised not to kill them".... sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Never got bitten by spider and planning to keep it that way :)

6e8a122eb53ea93efa9ce18447616d38.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Probably claiming false widow's allowance, free money for Jenny-eight-legs come lately. Sick of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Is it more alarming, less alarming or the same amount of alarming as the last times this same story came up?
    Alarming rise in the use of dramatic headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So far in Ireland 16 people have been hospitalised with one person being admitted for a week.

What a crap article, since when: that 16 this year, last couple of years, since founding of the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ahhh here, I'm emigrating

Me too.. feckin spiders. I think I'll head to Australia....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Any boardsies been bitten?

No bites, but I've seen a couple of them now, one appeared in my car, one cold winters evening, scared the sh1te outta me

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

My house has considerable numbers outside. Killed plenty so far. Never saw them inside. In Co Cavan. Never bitten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

How do I recognise one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Always find a few of them around the doors of the house during summer. Ugly f**kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Probably claiming false widow's allowance, free money for Jenny-eight-legs come lately. Sick of this.

PM me later xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

SeaFields wrote: »

Maybe you should consider Africa. You won't have time to think about them with all the lions and hyenas outside your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Day Lewin wrote:

Pics in the article, plenty on the Internets to, they're very distinctive, they look fairly menacing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I have seen a number of them in the last few years and none before. They lurk outside in places like lift-up boxes and inside drain access points. What I find most interesting is that my instinctive reaction is a cold fear at the top of my spine, which I never experience with other spiders. I felt that the first time I saw them before reading they could actually hurt humans. And it wasn't because they were unknown. Just yesterday I saw a white spider on a flower that I hadn't seen before and had nothing like that reaction. I wonder if it is ancestoral memory, reacting to something that looks like a black widow.

I don't get the "don't kill" advice. I always smash the ****ers - with something with a bit of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Arent they an invasive species, so why the no kill thing?

Also, they bite. Fcuk that. I wouldnt kill the big hairy garden spider that you can actually hear tapping on the wooden floor as it moves across, but these guys can die.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think they are hatching the last few weeks.
    I saw one in the garage 3 years ago.
    Loads of them in the garage last year.
    Loads in the garage this year again, but also ive killed 4 of them in the house in the last 3 weeks.
    Its an invasion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I was bitten on the stomach by one and it was sore and irritating for a few day and was left with a mark for months. Thing was in my T-shirt when I went to put it on one morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Arent they an invasive species, so why the no kill thing?

Also, they bite. Fcuk that. I wouldnt kill the big hairy garden spider that you can actually hear tapping on the wooden floor as it moves across, but these guys can die.

Exactly. Seeing as how these things have grown to such large numbers, that obviously means they are wiping out our own native species who can't contend with them for territory. Ima advise we act like this

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

grassylawn wrote: »
    What I find most interesting is that my instinctive reaction is a cold fear at the top of my spine, which I never experience with other spiders.

I know what you mean. That feeling is extraordinary! It cuts through whatever everyday thing you were doing at the time. Reacted that way to a small caterpillar type thing I encountered in Northern Mexico.. turns out it was a highly poisonous variety. So, is it epigenetics and ancestral memory or something like Jung's collective unconscious (or neither)? Either way, or something more mundane altogether, it's the strangest feeling. :)

buried wrote: »
    Exactly. Seeing as how these things have grown to such large numbers, that obviously means they are wiping out our own native species who can't contend with them for territory. Ima advise we act like this

Not wiping them out.
    We have loads of false widows now and a good few of those things the size of the palm of your hand already this year.
    They big ones tend to appear in September mostly. No shortage of them last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Day Lewin wrote: »

Black, small and more than 2 legs? Then nuke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭batman_oh

We've had loads of them outside the house in the past 3 years or so. Never saw one before that. Just the one inside so far but I'm sure there'll be more!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

SeaFields wrote: »
    Indeed. They had the sunshine, but at least we didn't have the dangerous spiders .. until now ...

What next? Crocodiles?

plodder wrote: »
    What next? Crocodiles?

Tree rhinos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Tree rhinos
    Ah, rhinos' bark is worse than their bite. It's hippos we really need to worry about.

Here is a good view of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTT48_F1ack

On warm days you will see them in the grass.
    Most of the time though I see them just outside windows or doors just under the sill.
    Little sh!ts are probably biding their time til the windows or doors open :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Here is a good view of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTT48_F1ack

On warm days you will see them in the grass.
    Most of the time though I see them just outside windows or doors just under the sill.
    Little sh!ts are probably biding their time til the windows or doors open :)

I've never seen one in the grass, they live in nooks and crannies around the house and shed. Tons of them here, as the article says, probably the most common spider I see around the house, but always outside, and they're not remotely aggressive, if you go near them they hide.

They seem to like nesting around window frames, there were loads of little eggsacs there earlier in the year. I went around and vacuumed them up, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to the number of spiders we have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

So, is it epigenetics and ancestral memory or something like Jung's collective unconscious (or neither)? )

Fancy way of saying you a big wuss.

Advertisement