Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Alarming' rise in False Widow spiders in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

.42. wrote: »
    I just moved it to a bush across the road.

neighbours letterbox.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

One thing I would say is that when you see them you will know what it is.

The size and shape and how shiny they are, are very distinct.

One thing I would say is that when you see them you will know what it is.

The size and shape and how shiny they are, are very distinct.

They even move more aggressively.

I'd a lovely big house spider nicknamed Ted living in my garage for ages. He kept away from me, I kept away from him. Grand. One day Ted was gone and one of those yokes was in his place.

Poor Ted.

I'd a lovely big house spider nicknamed Ted living in my garage for ages. He kept away from me, I kept away from him. Grand. One day Ted was gone and one of those yokes was in his place.

Poor Ted.

Yeah... Teds final experience was probably something like this

59r1kZ.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I thought they were supposed to be small.

They are the size of a 2 euro.

Found one in the porch

Sent the pic to NUI Galway who confirmed

554227.jpeg

Ugh Jesus - that's the repulsive thing that I saw in my shed alright. Same markings and indentations on the bulbous body.

Poor Ted.

Same - there was a large house-spider (hairy-legs, €2 coin size) living behind my tool-box until about 3 months ago. He had a leggy lady-friend locally who was the mother of his kids and they were in this long-term on-off relationship while he was resident. Anyhow the big hairy-legged fella is now missing and the little-lady doesn't like the look of the false-widow who now making many eyes with her. She might have to move into temporary accommodation while they find a suitable home as she was dependent on hairy-legs for a couple of flies and he was also handy with the web repair. I'll keep ya posted on the progress, but the local widow support group won't help out until she coughs up a exoskeleton or a death cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Found this lad in the shed last year. Assume it's one of them?

false-w.jpg

dmc17 wrote: »
    Found this lad in the shed last year. Assume it's one of them?

false-w.jpg

Yeah, that's one. Her shed now.

Awesome
    Dr Dugon says that female False Widows have the ability to produce one egg sack containing up to 200 eggs every 3 to 4 weeks from March until October. This means these spiders have a longer lifespan than most native species, which is generally 5 to 7 years versus 1 to 2 years for native spiders

Hoovered up one and a load of eggs at the weekend. Is there anything that can be put down to kill them?

• Advertisement

Hoovered up one and a load of eggs at the weekend. Is there anything that can be put down to kill them?

Claymores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's one I found in my mobile home in 2019. Been finding them there since 2017 (Co. Clare). I used to catch them and put them outside (I don't mind spiders at all), but since they're an invasive species, I just kill them now. Found one in my house this year, but I assume there's others about.

None of us have ever been bitten that we're aware of, but I did find two small scabs on my chest last year that looked like a spider bite. No pain or ill effects, though.

554239.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,174 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there anything that eats them and where can we get some...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is there anything that eats them and where can we get some...

They can eat lizards, so there's no hope of anything eating them, except maybe Godzilla.

Edit: you could try the old strategy of using birds to eat them, but then you need to get cats to eat the birds, dogs to eat the cats and by the time you're done, you end up filling your house with horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Has the question been asked if they're actually harmful to our native spiders and do they represent a threat to other native species, I could probably google it but I've this written now so I'll just post it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

This last couple of years I've noticed what I think might be false widow spiders in my bathroom. I'm just not 100% sure its them. I'll post a pic next time on here.

Is there any distribution map of Ireland showing were numbers are highest. Any county relatively untouched by them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Fire. Best to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I have to say, the very LAST thing I would do is vacuum them up. I'd be afraid that they'd thrive in there, only to emerge in their hundreds some night, out through the hose, up the stairs, quietly and stealthily across the bedroom carpet. Some climbing into a slipper, or a casually draped shirt with one sleeve low enough for them to jump up into (I think about a meter:eek::D).

Those who can't reach the the trailing shirt sleeves can climb the divan, under the duvet and hide in any warm folds :D they can find.

The sure sign that they're hiding in your bed, is that you don't notice them till they bite you.

Sleep tight everyone.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Is there any distribution map of Ireland showing were numbers are highest. Any county relatively untouched by them?

The National Biodiversity Data Centre has this one, but it relies on the public submitting entries and is woefully incomplete.

https://maps.biodiversityireland.ie/Species/182973

I have to say, the very LAST thing I would do is vacuum them up. I'd be afraid that they'd thrive in there, only to emerge in their hundreds some night, out through the hose, up the stairs, quietly and stealthily across the bedroom carpet. Some climbing into a slipper, or a casually draped shirt with one sleeve low enough for them to jump up into (I think about a meter:eek::D).

Those who can't reach the the trailing shirt sleeves can climb the divan, under the duvet and hide in any warm folds :D they can find.

The sure sign that they're hiding in your bed, is that you don't notice them till they bite you.

Sleep tight everyone.

Bagless hoover that was tipped straight into a barrel of fire.

Bagless hoover that was tipped straight into a barrel of fire.

Now, have you NEVER watched spider films. ONE always escapes the inferno, female carrying a sac of eggs. With photographic memory, and the ability to command a legion.

I got into my shed last year or the year before and emptied out everything. Then I went round gathering spiders and relocating them to the other side of the garden wall. Anything that looked like a False Widow was immediately dispatched to spider heaven. I think that was 2 or 3. There's a hidey hole in the window frame and THAT's where one can always be found. I tend not to stick my finger in there. :pac:

A few years ago I bought a spray in B & Q, you're supposed to spray it on hard surfaces where the spiders walk about. Its the act of walking on it that kills them (if the instructions are to be believed). The tin has vanished and search as I might, I've never seen it since in Woodies or B & Q, and of course, I can't remember the name of the stuff. It was the same size as fly killer. To be honest though, I'd only spray it if I could try to limit the damage to targeting only False Widows.

• Advertisement

A few years ago I bought a spray in B & Q, you're supposed to spray it on hard surfaces where the spiders walk about. Its the act of walking on it that kills them (if the instructions are to be believed). The tin has vanished and search as I might, I've never seen it since in Woodies or B & Q, and of course, I can't remember the name of the stuff. It was the same size as fly killer. To be honest though, I'd only spray it if I could try to limit the damage to targeting only False Widows.

Omigod are you saying the spiders disappeared the tin knowing the threat it posed to them???

Omigod are you saying the spiders disappeared the tin knowing the threat it posed to them???

Well, foolishly I left it in the shed after spraying it - only once. Now I can't find it. I leave you to draw your own conclusions. Suffice to say, I always tell someone where I'm going, if I'm heading for the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Hopefully the Irish spiders robbed it to protect the boundaries of their own territory.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Well, foolishly I left it in the shed after spraying it - only once. Now I can't find it. I leave you to draw your own conclusions. Suffice to say, I always tell someone where I'm going, if I'm heading for the shed.

I assume that you've drawn up your will? If not then it may not be too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Watch your gas and electricity meter boxes, the feckers love them, Dublin 4 for whatever reason is full of them...

I was bitten by one there years ago, was like a wasp sting, was grand though after thankfully...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Claymores.

This guys is brilliant lol.

We found one inside the car, hiding under the lever for opening the petrol cap. Big f*cker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. Only way to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wibbs wrote: »
    I got bitten by one in 2019. Out in the garden taking clothes off the line. I disturbed one that had hidden in the fold at the top where the peg was. Bit me in the thumb, quick as you like. No pain initially so just thought it had run over the thumb. Then the pain started. Like a wasp sting. Then the burning in the thumb started and it swelled up within five minutes to a third bigger than normal. That died down after a few hours, but the burning pain remained for about a day.
    Even Cowgirls Get The Blues!

Very useful for hitchhiking... :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

grassylawn wrote: »
    I don't get the "don't kill" advice. I always smash the ****ers - with something with a bit of reach.
    Arent they an invasive species, so why the no kill thing?

I think the no kill advice is because most people aren't able to tell different species apart so they don't want a massacre of innocent harmless species which would no doubt have some sort of unintended consequence like the country being overrun with locusts or something.

I have yet to come across one of these but then I'm a bit OCD about hoovering and dusting.

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering is this a urban infestation of these Alien hoors? I live out the sticks and my house is the frequent haunt of all sorts of spiders, the biggest I have here are the wolf spider species, I have never seen or encountered these false widows at all. And my garden & workshop shed ain't in the best state to the eye looking to get pleased, I cut the grass about once every three weeks and keep a lot of patches wild. The workshop is in a truly dank state and never seen this species but is filled with all sorts of other spiders, which I give no bother to. Just wondering if this is a urban/semi urban problem, the types of gardens and houses that keep gardens pristine and flood the gardens with all sorts of chemicals to keep them looking good and free of pests, but could maybe inviting these canary alien hoors into the area?

Well, aren't I glad I read this article in bed

#BiteAnyHumans is trending on Twitter for some reason...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone see the RTE News just now?

Noble False Widow bite on woman's leg - gruesome!

Is this the same false widow we are talking about or is the Noble a distinct variety?

Not your ornery onager

The way forward here is to kill every spider you come across, just in case.

Hmm, you know the way when you're reading in bed and you think you caught something through the corner of your eye, and then you turn to look, but there's nothing there.. are you SURE there was nothing there???

Still, it might just be an ordinary spider.:eek::eek::eek:

So is the spider.

buried wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is a urban/semi urban problem, the types of gardens and houses that keep gardens pristine

First time I saw one was 2017 in my mobile home, which is in a field in the west of Ireland right beside the Atlantic. Found them there regularly there since then, they have no problem surviving the winter in an unheated mobile. I’ve only seen one in my house (which is in a mid-sized town), and that was a couple of weeks ago.

Esel wrote: »
    Anyone see the RTE News just now?

Noble False Widow bite on woman's leg - gruesome!

Is this the same false widow we are talking about or is the Noble a distinct variety?

Same one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I normally wouldn't be too fussy about doing a deep vacuuming every week. I just hoovered every inch of the house. I don't know if that helps, but I feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have arachnophobia.
    I really shouldn't be here...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Spray adhesive (ie the adhesive that comes in a can) kills them quickly.

Last year the eaves of my house were littered with them. 2 cans of spray adhesive not only killed them, but not a sign of them this year!!! It must kill the eggs too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

First time I saw one was 2017 in my mobile home, which is in a field in the west of Ireland right beside the Atlantic. Found them there regularly there since then, they have no problem surviving the winter in an unheated mobile. I’ve only seen one in my house (which is in a mid-sized town), and that was a couple of weeks ago.

Right on the coast doesn't really get harsh frosts or as frequent of frosts so they have better chance there than 20 miles inland. Maybe a 2010 style winter could give them a good thumping.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Right on the coast doesn't really get harsh frosts or as frequent of frosts so they have better chance there than 20 miles inland. Maybe a 2010 style winter could give them a good thumping.

Interesting, That bio map another poster put up a few pages back shows most of the few reports put into it all close to coastal regions of the island. Especially high density reports, the few ones inland look like urban towns.

2134670933spider-animated-gif-49.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Got bitten by one on the back of the hand in London in 2012 (remember it because the Olympics were on). Hand swelled up to twice it’s normal size and it felt the skin as about to explode, couldn’t even move my fingers. Had to spend two days in a hospital being fed antibiotics via drip and get a load of injections etc; one of my my fingers was so swollen they thought they’d have to cut it open. Absolutely f*cking terrifying.

I was in a house share a few years later and some hippy muppet was marvelling over them in the kitchen til I got the hairspray and lighter out. Kill on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

sky12345 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people misunderstand the risk of the false widow, as evidenced by a lot of the 'humourous' comments on the thread.

The false widow is now highly prevalent in Ireland. It's a new species so many people will have not grown up with it and won't know what they are seeing when they look at it. It tends to be light phobic, meaning that many people won't see them as they only come out late at night.

They can be highly mobile and very large. If you are in certain suburbs in Dublin and shine a torch up at your house around 2am you are quite likely to see them crawling over your house. They don't just stay in their webs. They will be along your windowsills and your sheds. They will be in cracks in your walls. If you have bins with gaps in them where the handles are, they are likely to be in there as well. I have seen quite a few of them on gates and in various parts of cars.

They are fairly slow when it's cold, but from what I've seen they can be fast when it's warm. They live for years longer than most native spiders, are potentially very poisonous, are covered in antibiotic resistant bacteria and have large numbers of children (up to 200 in each egg sac- so if you see one, that one can produce another 200). They can survive temperatures of up to -8, and can survive for a long time on little food and water.

Don't go near them with bare hands and don't put your hands into their webs. You probably won't recognize their webs at first, but when you see a few of them around your house you will know after a while what you are looking at.

Lets not overstate the risk either:
    Spiders have evolved the amazing ability to make very quick informed "decisions" as to when and how much venom to inject. With this in mind, we can rest assured that it does not go about its daily business wanting to inflict bites on us humans; it would much rather hide and save its precious venom for tasty bugs.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0526/1223978-noble-false-widow-spider/

FTA69 wrote: »
    Got bitten by one on the back of the hand in London in 2012 (remember it because the Olympics were on). Hand swelled up to twice it’s normal size and it felt the skin as about to explode, couldn’t even move my fingers. Had to spend two days in a hospital being fed antibiotics via drip and get a load of injections etc; one of my my fingers was so swollen they thought they’d have to cut it open. Absolutely f*cking terrifying.

I was in a house share a few years later and some hippy muppet was marvelling over them in the kitchen til I got the hairspray and lighter out. Kill on sight.

And what did you go with the spider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭appledrop

Can I just say I started reading this thread all worried by the title, but actually some of the posts have given me a great laugh so I'm over my fear of false widow spider.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

sky12345 wrote: »

If you read the peer-reviewed literature I think that the understanding of them is evolving to realise that they are more dangerous than people originally understood. While overemphasing risk is bad, so is downplaying risk.

While John Dunbar and colleagues wrote the brainstorm article for a popular audience, they also note in a recent peer-reviewed publication that here is no doubt that "S nobilis (with Latrodectus tredecimguttatus) is one of the most dangerous spiders in Western Europe."

The title of the article has me thinking I should change my behaviour in the garden, and store my gloves differently:

Bites by the noble false widow spider Steatoda nobilis can induce Latrodectus-like symptoms and vector-borne bacterial infections with implications for public health: a case series

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15563650.2021.1928165?journalCode=ictx20

• Advertisement
Advertisement