Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Bigjez79 wrote: »
    Hi all.

North County Dublin Virgin media Gigabit customer.

Has anyone noticed a jump in latency ping recently. I have a BQM setup on think broadband and it went up 8-10 m/s on the 25th march. This morning 6 am I see it jumped again so just trying to understand why this would be as Docsis 3.1 is supposed to be a low latency solution. Engineer was out and from house to 8 way Tap in manhole everything looks OK.

Speed isn't an issue. I can get 700 mbps down on my Samsung S10 950mbps on ethernet but I do a bit of gaming where ping is king.

50 mbps upload or thereabouts also. Also when you ping the vrigin server on speedtest app I get 20 but if I switch to Eir I can get 11. Is this just a virgin issue in the area?

I'm also in North Dublin on VM 1Gb service and my latency average is between 20-40 m/s consistently, for as long as I have the monitor running. I also don't bind to any DOCSIS 3.1 channels on my hub and I've had two engineer visits and they insist everything is normal.

It's my excuse for being poor at games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭feargantae

3 5G in the south east on a Galaxy S21. Fastest speed yet

D8jGE2X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bigjez79

allanroche wrote: »
    I'm also in North Dublin on VM 1Gb service and my latency average is between 20-40 m/s consistently, for as long as I have the monitor running. I also don't bind to any DOCSIS 3.1 channels on my hub and I've had two engineer visits and they insist everything is normal.

It's my excuse for being poor at games :D

So mine was 17ms in March and now it approx 25ms average on Think Broadband. It came down about 3 ms last night. My hub says Docsis 3.1 enabled but not sure how accurate that is as I see a number of cmts warnings on channel 33 which is my docsis 3.1 downstream channel. Upload shows nothing so I don't know if that is enabled in the network.

Speeds are all good so it's really just the latency and is also my excuse for being a bad gamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

So mine was 17ms in March and now it approx 25ms average on Think Broadband. It came down about 3 ms last night. My hub says Docsis 3.1 enabled but not sure how accurate that is as I see a number of cmts warnings on channel 33 which is my docsis 3.1 downstream channel. Upload shows nothing so I don't know if that is enabled in the network.

Speeds are all good so it's really just the latency and is also my excuse for being a bad gamer.

Can I ask, have you had your 3.1 channel since you signed up? I've never been able to bind to any and have constant errors with the other channels.

allanroche wrote: »
    Can I ask, have you had your 3.1 channel since you signed up? I've never been able to bind to any and have constant errors with the other channels.

I am not that sure. I probably didn't check in the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Eir 150mb ftth near Waterville, Kerry. Finally setup this morning after 3 months of issues with ducting.

QGazijb.png

Torn on if i should upgrade it to 1gb, as i probably don't need it, but it would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Kiith wrote: »
    Eir 150mb ftth near Waterville, Kerry. Finally setup this morning after 3 months of issues with ducting.

QGazijb.png

Torn on if i should upgrade it to 1gb, as i probably don't need it, but it would be nice.

They recently introduced 500Mb for €39.99/month in a 24 month contract. Could be a nice middle ground and set price for 2 years. I know you've had a lot of bother with eir but once connected they are as solid as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Eir 1000/100Mbps FTTH

11428126329.png

I'll let you know when/if I stop smiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

2ms is incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

limnam wrote: »
    2ms is incredible.

Eir always had great pings when I was with them, best of all the providers I was with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir's pings are the best in the country with FTTH. I've the service now 4 years and the ping has rarely been more than 2ms, sometimes it's only 1ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2ms is incredible.

It is and it isnt.

That test was Eir<->Eir. Really the ideal case. With NGA though they have the benefit of going straight to the dest and not having to encapsulate as far as the RAS.

Its all moot unless you're a 16yo Korean kid anyways :p

ED E wrote: »
    That test was Eir<->Eir.

Actually that test wasn't IIRC. That was Eir<->Magnet.

So my posted test was over wired connection obviously. I'm on Wifi at the moment but ran a couple of tests anyway using different target servers and got ping results of either 4ms (Strencom & Ripple) or 5ms (Eir & Magnet).

Codpeas wrote: »

It wasnt, take the .png off the end of your link.

It wasnt, take the .png off the end of your link.

I stand corrected. My mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Virgin Media > Down:93Mbps, Up:25Mbps (250Mbps Package)

Virgin Media > Down:93Mbps, Up:25Mbps (250Mbps Package)

Wireless or wired?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

With Eir using F3000 modem based in the hallway of 3 bed semi

Test run on iMac in upstairs box bedroom as we used to call it in the day - wireless

So my posted test was over wired connection obviously. I'm on Wifi at the moment but ran a couple of tests anyway using different target servers and got ping results of either 4ms (Strencom & Ripple) or 5ms (Eir & Magnet).

I'd be interested to see what you get to the virgin media server. I get 19ms as a virgin customer over ethernet.

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    With Eir using F3000 modem based in the hallway of 3 bed semi

Test run on iMac in upstairs box bedroom as we used to call it in the day - wireless

What package is that?

• Advertisement

What package is that?

Eir

Eir

FTTC? FTTH? 100mb/150/1Gig?

Eir

Next tooth please....

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Next tooth please....

???

Getting meaningful information from you is like pulling teeth...

Eir is not a helpful answer.

FTTC? FTTH? 100mb/150/1Gig?

Apologies

FTTC
    and
    100mb

Apologies

FTTC
    and
    100mb

By the way I purchased an Eir twin pack Smart Hub package, set them up last night but haven't seen an improvement. I made measurements across various devices in different rooms before and after and nothing noticeable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

Apologies

FTTC
    and
    100mb

Can you see from your router stats what you are syncing at? Or whats your speed on a wired test?

Eir may sell you a FTTC package that states 100mb but it will be "up to" so if not very close to the cabinet you may get a lot less (78mb is probably above average for FTTC).

dam099 wrote: »
    Can you see from your router stats what you are syncing at? Or whats your speed on a wired test?

Eir may sell you a FTTC package that states 100mb but it will be "up to" so if not very close to the cabinet you may get a lot less (78mb is probably above average for FTTC).

Considering he's on wireless on a different floor. I'd say it's not to bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

Considering he's on wireless on a different floor. I'd say it's not to bad at all.

Agreed, my point is more that there is a good chance the ISP line speed is the limiting factor and the purchase of the twin pack Smart Hub package could have been a waste as there may not be a Wi-Fi issue to fix.

I'd be interested to see what you get to the virgin media server. I get 19ms as a virgin customer over ethernet.

Ran that three times from same machine as previous results (over WiFi) and got the following ping results from the Dublin Virgin Media server:

28ms
    27ms
    29ms

dam099 wrote: »
    Agreed, my point is more that there is a good chance the ISP line speed is the limiting factor and the purchase of the twin pack Smart Hub package could have been a waste as there may not be a Wi-Fi issue to fix.

Smart Wifi twin pack being returned today made not a jot of difference to the quality of WiFi throughout the house

Back to using the TP-Link AV200 setup to improve weak spots in the back bedroom

Even last night using an Amazon Fire stick on the Samsung TV in the back room there was stalling of the video on at least ten occasions during a 60 minute episode!!

Here isn up to date Ping/ Speed test reading
    (Both devices upstairs, F3000 downstairs by front door. Bedroom door open)

Sevice provider: Eir
    Type: FTTC
    Package: 100Mb

Device: iMac [K60 model]
    Connection: Wireless
    Ping: 11ms
    Jitter: 2ms
    Download: 44.8Mbps
    Upload: 19.1Mbps

Device: Amazon Fire Kindle 8
    Ping: 13ms
    Jitter: 6ms
    Download: 32.6Mbps

Smart Wifi twin pack being returned today made not a jot of difference to the quality of WiFi throughout the house

Even last night using an Amazon Fire stick on the Samsung TV in the back room there was stalling of the video on at least ten occasions during a 60 minute episode!!

I might have missed this.

What speed do you get hard wired into the f3000?

I might have missed this.

What speed do you get hard wired into the f3000?

I can try with a laptop tonight as I mentioned am only using wireless

Ran that three times from same machine as previous results (over WiFi) and got the following ping results from the Dublin Virgin Media server:

28ms
    27ms
    29ms

Higher than what I was expecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Eir FTTC 50/10

Latency is excellent all I care about

11535267713.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I wonder how long we'll be waiting for 5G to be rolled out in the sticks.

5G? Who gives a rats.

This is 4G. Around the James Joyce Bridge.
    EtNwYHg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

5G? Who gives a rats.

This is 4G. Around the James Joyce Bridge.
    EtNwYHg.png
    Wow!
    Device?
    Network?
    Band?

TCL 10 5G, Three Ireland.

Bands wise I wasnt running NSG at the time so dunno. Need to go back at some point and check. Band 1 + Band 3 aggregated most likely. You might get the same or better opposite 3 HQ slightly further east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

vIFeiFy.jpg Wonder how long this will last. Almost Peak time 5G north City

Refund received

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

We finally got Eir Fibre Gigabit installed but are unhappy with wifi coverage / speed. Screenshots of speedtests to Eir, Blacknight and Virgin both wired and wireless at 4 metres from the modem attached. I also tried two speed tests with Eir, one at 12.09 and the second at 12.21 having disconnected the wifi and reconnected. Considerable difference in speeds. This is probably the wrong place to ask but is there a better alternative to the F3000?. We are currently on our second F3000 as the wifi went glitchy on the first one and refused to connect first with our wireless printer, then my Android Mobile and finally with my mid 2012 Macbook Pro. Changing to another F3000 has fixed this problem for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

you wont get anywhere near full speed with the generic supplied routers

if you want better wifi, you will need to invest in wifi ax routers (or even a decent ac router would have considerable gains over the isp supplied), i've got a couple of ax routers and i can get 800Mbps down and 100Mbps up in the same room as the router over wifi, this drops off exponentially the further away and more objects get in the way of the signal, still manages 500Mbps through a couple of walls so i am happy enough with it

note your devices would need to be wifi 6 capable also to take advantage of the wifi 6 protocol

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DanielH55

SpaceX Starlink:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I got EIR 1GB FTTH installed today and this is all I am getting from a work laptop wired directly to the existing F3000 router. I assume nothing can be done to improve that, so should request EIR to downgrade the package I am on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

WTF is going on with Vodafone, been godawful for the last 2 weeks

I'm on 5G mobile broadband, in Dublin 8, Max unlimited apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mickln91

Anymore on this? I’ve just got the unlimited mobile broadband off them it’s due to arrive tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It has improved, just seemed to be a week/10 days where it was awful. Not sure what happened.

Tested it there again now:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cloudturtle

I live in the country side, about 15km away from a town, no signs of wired connection for a few years. Some How I am able to get 5G on Eir's network via my Samsung S21. Very handy having a no fair usage policy on my plan. I use up to about 600gb per month :)

Average speed is 300Mbps down, 20Mbps Upload. Ping to a server is Ireland is about 30 ping.

If I position the phone phone at a certain spot I can get towards 500Mbps down, upload remains 20Mbps.

Hoping to get the 5G Modem soon, I'll post here soon what the speeds are on that, but I assume they'll be the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement