Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 17: Canazei Sega di Ala (193km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Great stuff Dan! Chapeau!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

WHAT. A. WIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

nice one

Oh chapeau Dan only the 3rd Irish man to have the full set of Grand Tour stage wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Woooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

what a win by Dan Martin, out front pushing the break all day after the battle just to get into it. Thought he was caught but brilliant finish.
    I was thinking earlier in the Giro Dan was finished and just cashing in with ISN but that proved me very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Yes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The ride of his life. Brilliant all day. Incredible

I was worried he'd done to much work earlier in the stage. As good a win as I've seen from Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Only caught the final 5k but wow. Bernal looked like he was goin so slow he was gonna fall over. Caruso is an absolute idiot for pacing him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Great ride from Dan. Full of guts and then the glory.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Only caught the final 5k but wow. Bernal looked like he was goin so slow he was gonna fall over. Caruso is an absolute idiot for pacing him

sure he's trying to just protect his own postion I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think Yates may regret not going earlier. Ineos has 2 guys with Bernal and were leading the group but the gap to Martin was staying a solid 1m20s. Then another ineos guy appeared out of nowhere, so the pace must not have been all that great. Bernal was possibly suffering everyone just assumed he was fine.

Everyone has a bad day on a tour though. Even Lance Armstrong had one bad day in every tour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pity tomorrow is a handy day, wont put bernal under pressure.
    Caruso was riding to defend 2nd from Yates rather than go for 1st vs Bernal.
    Carthy appears to have completely blown, ended up finishing nearly a minute behind Vlasov.

Oh chapeau Dan only the 3rd Irish man to have the full set of Grand Tour stage wins.

who the other 2? Bennett & Kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

neris wrote: »

Shay Elliot and Sam Bennett.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shay Elliot and Sam.

Bennett and Elliot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Bennett & Shay Elliot.

Pretty nice luck for Eurosport to have sports director from ISN in the studio with them today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I was on a work call during the finish! That really was incredible, to hold off that group after driving the break all day was absolutely amazing.

wonder which one of the ISN team rte wil use for the photo on the news this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

wonder which one of the ISN team rte wil use for the photo on the news this evening

Chris Froome :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Strange that Ulissi finished 4th.
    He wasn't in the break, isn't fighting for GC, maybe just sat on with the big boys in the hope that they would bring the break back and nip out for the win.

Ha ha they got it right https://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2021/0526/1224073-dan-martin-digs-deep-to-win-stage-17-of-giro-ditalia/

Actually the RTE reporting on the Giro stages has been pretty decent.

retalivity wrote: »
    Strange that Ulissi finished 4th.
    He wasn't in the break, isn't fighting for GC, maybe just sat on with the big boys in the hope that they would bring the break back and nip out for the win.

Isn't Ulissi a notorious wheel hugger that no one likes to be in a break with or it Costa?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

De Bhál wrote: »
    sure he's trying to just protect his own postion I imagine

He would have maybe went from second to third but still a podium. I'm not saying don't ride but don't just pace him without trying to shake him off especially when he has a domestique sitting there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I'm not saying don't ride but don't just pace him without trying to shake him off especially when he has a domestique sitting there

Caruso was doing his own pace and sticking to it. Probably on the edge too. From his point of view it's not nice to say it but why try and drop him at the risk of losing your legs and ending up losing more time to Yates when there is a chance Bernal abandons between now and Sunday. Nobody wants to see that but you have to consider it if you are second to him.

Advertisement