Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 17: Canazei Sega di Ala (193km)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Updated list of grand tour stages won by Irish cyclists

48 in total. 8 in Giro. 5 for Dan (same as Stephen Roche now)

https://statsthatarepointless.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/irish-stage-wins-cycling-grand-tours/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Enfilade wrote: »
    Isn't Ulissi a notorious wheel hugger that no one likes to be in a break with or it Costa?

Rui Costa definitely is in that category, he's hated for it.
    Never heard about Ulissi being the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Dodge wrote: »

https://statsthatarepointless.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/irish-stage-wins-cycling-grand-tours/

Kelly and the Vuelta, that's some tally!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,729 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Great collection of stats.

17 years from Stephen Roche in 1992 to Deignan in 2009 :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Martin Early (in the TdF) winning will always be my favourite.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Rui Costa definitely is in that category, he's hated for it.
    Never heard about Ulissi being the same.

Costa was the one, I always mix them up.

mewso wrote: »
    Martin Early (in the TdF) winning will always be my favourite.

That’s the first I remember seeing (on highlights)

First I saw live was Deignan 20 years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Dan Martin...one tough cookie
    r
    In a sport of tough men he is very near the top

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Macy0161

From his point of view it's not nice to say it but why try and drop him at the risk of losing your legs and ending up losing more time to Yates when there is a chance Bernal abandons between now and Sunday. Nobody wants to see that but you have to consider it if you are second to him.
    Bernal is the strongest in the race and in now way benefited from the shortening of Mondays stage - complete opposite in fact! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

The one day of the fooking week when I can't get to watch at 4 o clock........ I did manage to stay off all sites till I clicked on the 'Last Km' on Steephill. Would have loved to see the last climb in its entirety. Great result for him, well deserved.

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    The one day of the fooking week when I can't get to watch at 4 o clock........ I did manage to stay off all sites till I clicked on the 'Last Km' on Steephill. Would have loved to see the last climb in its entirety. Great result for him, well deserved.

Tbh they barely showed Dan at all on the last climb. Cameras glued to the GC group and then it exploded

• Registered Users Posts: 24,226 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Caruso was doing his own pace and sticking to it. Probably on the edge too. From his point of view it's not nice to say it but why try and drop him at the risk of losing your legs and ending up losing more time to Yates when there is a chance Bernal abandons between now and Sunday. Nobody wants to see that but you have to consider it if you are second to him.

But if he tries the odd little attack or just swings on the road a bit he probably would not lose enough time to Yates to drop a place. He had time to play with and a pink jersey who was almost stopped on that mountain. It's well worth trying to get a wheel length.

He just kept the rider with the crazy strong team in the lead. He should have taken his chances with Yates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Paddigol

breezy1985 wrote: »
    But if he tries the odd little attack or just swings on the road a bit he probably would not lose enough time to Yates to drop a place. He had time to play with and a pink jersey who was almost stopped on that mountain. It's well worth trying to get a wheel length.

He just kept the rider with the crazy strong team in the lead. He should have taken his chances with Yates

You don't think he was pretty much on the limit? Not sure what else he could have done. He has to look after his own interests, which he probably recognises don't revolve around Pink.

Was just reading the Indo, didn't realise Kelly and Roche don't have a full set of Grand Tour victories, only Shay Elliot and Sam Bennett do!
    Martin’s first stage win in the Giro d’Italia, which he adds to his two wins in the Tour de France and Vuelta a Espana, makes him just the third Irishman - after Shay Elliott and Sam Bennett - to have a full set of Grand Tour stage wins. His stunning performance also sees the Israel Start-Up Nation rider move up to 1tth in the general classification.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

Inquitus wrote: »
    Was just reading the Indo, didn't realise Kelly and Roche don't have a full set of Grand Tour victories, only Shay Elliot and Sam Bennett do!

Did Roche ever ride the vuelta? Don't think Kelly did that many giros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Paddigol

neris wrote: »

Think Kelly entered one as part of some sponsorship/ invite deal at the height of his powers but dropped out after certain amount of stages? Don't think he ever finished a Vuelta? Obviously I'm too lazy to google so have probably just massively embarrassed myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,729 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

neris wrote: »

Roche wasnt at the Vuelta in his prime... came 13th or so in 92 and thats it

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Paddigol wrote: »
    Think Kelly entered one as part of some sponsorship/ invite deal at the height of his powers but dropped out after certain amount of stages? Don't think he ever finished a Vuelta? Obviously I'm too lazy to google so have probably just massively embarrassed myself...

Kelly won the Vuelta in 1988

During Kelly and Roches time the Vuelta wasn't that big a deal and overlapped with the Giro so only riders on Spanish teams like Kellys Kas picked it over the Giro and similarly an Italian team like Carrera wouldn't give a top rider like Roche many chances at a Giro

Kelly won the Vuelta in 1988

And looking good the year before in 87 but for the infamous saddle sores. What a year that could have been, an Irish clean sweep of the tours and the worlds on top of it.

• Advertisement

During Kelly and Roches time the Vuelta wasn't that big a deal and overlapped with the Giro so only riders on Spanish teams like Kellys Kas picked it over the Giro and similarly an Italian team like Carrera wouldn't give a top rider like Roche many chances at a Giro

Kelly rode only one Giro in the twilight of his career in 1992. Roche rode only one Vuelta also in 1992 and very much towards the end of his career as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Slightly harsh on the Vuelta? Giro was also predominantly Italian teams as well. There was no world tour, so it was really up to the teams. I'd say timing was more the issue, hence the profile increase when it became grand tour contender last chance saloon.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Slightly harsh on the Vuelta? Giro was also predominantly Italian teams as well. There was no world tour, so it was really up to the teams. I'd say timing was more the issue, hence the profile increase when it became grand tour contender last chance saloon.

Its not that harsh. It was way more the 3rd tour than it is now. The late season move and the very new Red jersey have really given the Vuelta a new lease of life and identity. I don't think even Spanish fans would dispute this too much

Its not that harsh. It was way more the 3rd tour than it is now. The late season move and the very new Red jersey have really given the Vuelta a new lease of life and identity. I don't think even Spanish fans would dispute this too much

This is true, the move in the calendar has done wonders for the Vuelta maybe not initially see the below linked 13 year old cyclingnews article, but definitely in the last 10 years, a lot of the public perceive it as the most exciting of the Grand Tours with great competition and some exciting stage setups.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/did-the-vueltas-date-change-hurt-the-race/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Too many meetings, for stage I’ve missed. Well done Dan.

There’s a slight hope Bernal may crack now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This is true, the move in the calendar has done wonders for the Vuelta maybe not initially see the below linked 13 year old cyclingnews article, but definitely in the last 10 years, a lot of the public perceive it as the most exciting of the Grand Tours with great competition and some exciting stage setups.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/did-the-vueltas-date-change-hurt-the-race/

I remember the Vuelta being a poor relation to the other 2 GTs alright. The Tour was the biggest and the Giro was the most exciting.

It’s great now, the Vuelta and Giro are trying to out do each other for mental climbs.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Reports are Remco has gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Didn't he crash trying to get around the crash that was happening in front of him? Seemed to glance off a metal barrier, looked sore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,294 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Steephill.tv always have great photos. Here are the ones from the stage today

http://www.steephill.tv/2021/giro-d-italia/photos/stage-17/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭MangleBadger

Remco has abandoned. Hopefully he isn’t too banged up from today.

Advertisement