Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It hasn't changed for me...

Here's the image I'm getting:

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/recent-rainfall-radar/12-hour-rainfall-radar

CL5KTs6l.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Maybe it’s just me but just cannot warm to the Joanne lady who does the weather.

Very superficial/fake presentation or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Comhra wrote: »

Ah yes, that's on the radar page. Your original comment said on the Homepage. Anyway, yes, it does look sharper there alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

She's actually quite bad at presentation, whatever about her technical skills. I find the forecasts generally far too superficial and tending to spend too much time on stuff we know has happened and not enough about why the weather is doing what it's doing in the bigger scheme of things like Arctic high pressure's effects on the jet stream and "stalled" slow rotation low pressure areas.

They are probably told not to bother with that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Ah yes, that's on the radar page. Your original comment said on the Homepage. Anyway, yes, it does look sharper there alright.

Oops, apologies...my mistake. Still it's an improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

She's actually quite bad at presentation, whatever about her technical skills. I find the forecasts generally far too superficial and tending to spend too much time on stuff we know has happened and not enough about why the weather is doing what it's doing in the bigger scheme of things like Arctic high pressure's effects on the jet stream and "stalled" slow rotation low pressure areas.

Rightly so too in fairness. Whilst all in this forum like the scientific and techie side of things, the target audience of a forecast require just that - a forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Are the colours of the temperature forecasts consistent by time of year? Eg an 8 degrees in January might be yellow or orange but in the middle of a warm spell would be perhaps light blue? Its still the same temperature regardless. Im fairly sure ive noticed this before but may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Atrocious is the word to describe her presentation skills, I either walk out of the room or switch her off when she is on.
    I think the main issue with not showing the jet stream etc like the met forecasts is down to the graphics. Most of the time it's just the few icons of weather around the map or the forecasters personal maps of past rain and clouds.
    It's very hit and miss with each presenter using their own stuff instead of the set piece to use. Met uk youtube presentations and bbc weather is soo much more professional and easy to understand with all the info given.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Met seemed to be conflicted for Dublin today, their radar showed a belt of rain clearing from the west around lunchtime but their hour by hour weather suggested it would be raining all day. for me it seemed clear that the radar was going to be the right one

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jesus who wrote this? Shockingly written forecast, makes almost no sense. In the Munster forecast for tomorrow.
    Met &#201 wrote: »
    TOMORROW - TUESDAY 25TH MAY
    Cloudy tomorrow with outbreaks of rain continuing through much of the day. Good sunny spells elsewhere with well scattered showers. Rain will gradually become confined to southwestern coastal fringes through the afternoon with drier conditions elsewhere. Highest afternoon temperatures of 11 to 15 degrees Celsius in mostly light to moderate northwesterly or variable breezes, fresher along southwestern coasts.

• Advertisement

Elsewhere? Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Apart from the "good sunny spells elsewhere" sentence, that makes perfect sense.

I'd say either that sentence was left in from an earlier draft by mistake, or they forgot to specify a location/region in the first sentence.

One error. Hardly a hanging offence!

Unfortunately is very typical of met.error (as I like to call them), editing, drafting, comprehension all very hit and miss.

From the 10th May, doesn't know their west from east. I sent a message and they didn't even bother changing it.

553984.jpg

Jean Byrne just forgot Sunday on the 7.57 forecast. Skipped to outlook for early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

spookwoman wrote: »
    Atrocious is the word to describe her presentation skills, I either walk out of the room or switch her off when she is on.
    Must admit, I have no idea who you are talking about. Stopped watching RTE altogether now because it is just an insult to one's intelligence. Not only do they have a very peculiar, cartoonish, one dimensional idea of Ireland, but that accent they all seem to talk in now. A sort of half south Dublin, half west coast US nasally thing going on there. Wouldn't do to speak like an ordinary, authentic Dub at all; no, that would be very unbecoming to one's social standing and peer status.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Ye must love the misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Must admit, I have no idea who you are talking about. Stopped watching RTE altogether now because it is just an insult to one's intelligence. Not only do they have a very peculiar, cartoonish, one dimensional idea of Ireland, but that accent they all seem to talk in now. A sort of half south Dublin, half west coast US nasally thing going on there. Wouldn't do to speak like an ordinary, authentic Dub at all; no, that would be very unbecoming to one's social standing and peer status.

To be fair, Michelle Dillon is the best and has not lost any of her Clare accent. Can't stomach Siobhán or indeed Jean, and as for Joanna...

6.55 forecast ends with "Saturday fine with just isolated showers in western areas" - graphic showing isolated showers in the east (which is what the written forecast says).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

6.55 forecast ends with "Saturday fine with just isolated showers in western areas" - graphic showing isolated showers in the east (which is what the written forecast says).

saw that. Elizabeth Coleman. Always at least one mistake per broadcast. poor enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

To be fair, Michelle Dillon is the best and has not lost any of her Clare accent. Can't stomach Siobhán or indeed Jean, and as for Joanna...

I agree (along with Gerry Murphy) and the new lady (Coleman) is promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

saw that. Elizabeth Coleman. Always at least one mistake per broadcast. poor enough.

Described temps as being in the 'late teens'. Aaahh! 'Late teens' is for age, 'high teens' for temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Linda Hughes is also very good, delivers a nice calm detailed forecast. Barely if ever makes any mistakes.

I have no issue with any of the weather presenters on that channel because, unlike the bulk of presenters and journalists who work in that over-funded and over-valued organisation, they actually know what they are talking about.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭tphase

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I have no issue with any of the weather presenters on that channel because, unlike the bulk of presenters and journalists who work in that over-funded and over-valued organisation, they actually know what they are talking about.
    none of those mentioned in recent posts actually work for RTE :)

I'm going to have to avoid met eireann forcasts from now on. They are too stressful.

Just having a look at mets.ie site and go to rainfall and pressure. Fast forward to 5th 01.00 and the low is off Greenland. I look up the ECMWF site charts because met has a big ECMWF under their logo and fast forward to 5th 00uct and the low is off the west of Ireland. WX Charts are pretty much the same, off the west coast of Ireland.
    Considering how off met.ie is off these days on the weather I should not be surprised but a discrepancy of that much has should be explained

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Firstly, how does a couple of gripey emails to Met Eireann become a 'story'?

Secondly, how did these cretins get hold of these emails in the first place? These emails are the private business between Met Eireann and members of the public who avail of their services. Since when did Met Eireann (people of talent) become accountable to the press (people of non-talent)?

What a God awful, inverted age we live in.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

More than likely the paper used the freedom of expression act to get them, they should not have published them we all complain about weather forecasting at some point when its wrong .

Advertisement