Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing for boggy areas

Options
  • 24-05-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I have one field which is sift ground and partly bounded by a drain. The stakes are constantly loosening, is there a better solution that stake posts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭893bet

n1st wrote: »
    I have one field which is sift ground and partly bounded by a drain. The stakes are constantly loosening, is there a better solution that stake posts?

Are you using 100-125mm and 6 foot posts?

n1st wrote: »

What are your strainer posts/assemblies like, thickness, shape and length or do you have any? It's their job, when properly installed, to stop the wire from going slack. It's the job of normal posts then to just hold the wire upright. Ordinary posts or strainer assemblies made from ordinary posts in soft ground will move or pull out in very soft ground.

Often in soft ground lengths of telegraph pole will be used as strainers. I've a few soft corners where I'll go to FRS and buy long thick creosoted strainer posts and use those to make up H braces. Strutted strainer posts may be a better option sometimes (in better more solid ground) if you can get a good solid base like a large flat rock that won't move to brace the strut against.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭n1st

893bet wrote: »
    Are you using 100-125mm and 6 foot posts?

6ft I would say, they've been in there 5 yrs now

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭n1st

What are your strainer posts/assemblies like, thickness, shape and length or do you have any? It's their job, when properly installed, to stop the wire from going slack. It's the job of normal posts then to just hold the wire upright. Ordinary posts or strainer assemblies made from ordinary posts in soft ground will move or pull out in very soft ground.

Often in soft ground lengths of telegraph pole will be used as strainers. I've a few soft corners where I'll go to FRS and buy long thick creosoted strainer posts and use those to make up H braces. Strutted strainer posts may be a better option sometimes (in better more solid ground) if you can get a good solid base like a large flat rock that won't move to brace the strut against.

I have telegraph poles

Advertisement