Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We are now only around 4 weeks away from the longest day of the year when the sun will be at its strongest...and yet temperatures are not much better as back in december/january 6 months ago...it actually felt milder during the winter when there was no heat in the sun at all...even in summer if you go the beach you have to stay in your car to feel a bit of heat most of the time...people just go down to the beach in summer park up and look out at the wind and rain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Midday reports, miserable :

Casement 7 degrees
    Dublin airport 7 degrees
    Johnstown castle 7 degrees
    Phoenix park 7 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

If the sun does come out for a while there could be some very heavy downpours this afternoon in the midlands/east with hail and thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

We complain alot, but this is absolutely shocking for May even by our low standards.

I’ve been saying that May wasn’t too bad in the East. This is appalling though. Not leaving the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Up until Thursday, it hasn't been that bad on the Dublin coast near Howth besides the temperatures which one must concede have been very poor. Sunny spells vast majority of days and avoiding most of the showers. Nothing to write home about but with the pattern of high latitude blocking and a southerly tracking jet stream, it could be worse.

However, Thursday, Friday and today are rubbish in every way. Constant spitting rain, windy or breezy and zero sunshine. The absolute worst to me, nothing interesting from a weather enthusiast's point of view nor pleasant weather to be out in.

We've had a very good run of Mays since and including 2016 (with the exception of 2019) so a poor one was inevitable sometime, especially after the extraordinary May of 2020.

Just want some warmth at this point please, this run of below average temperatures has been so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

sporina wrote: »
    phew a reprieve from the wind rain here in Cork.. lovely Sunny morning,.. heading to the coast for the day - enjoy all

so was fab here in Cork City yday morn - headed South West to the coast.. we had some rain and strong winds in the 1st half of the avo,, then later on the sun came out and was splitting the stones,.. completely psycho.. 4 seasons in the space of 6 hrs within a 6km radius.. the sun and heat in the later part of the avo was glorious.. a fabulous day had..

today - a mixed bag.. but unremarkable - well - apart from the fact that its only 11ºC May 23..

Someone mentioned the longest day of the year.. said the same yday - only 4 weeks away and no real summer had yet.. ekk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

The constant grey skies, rain and cold. Absolutely miserable. A duvet day at the end of May :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Zipppy wrote: »
    So I hear this morning that whilst the weather will 'settle down' somewhat from mid next week, that because of the high pressure off Greenland we'll stay in a cooler than normal air flow for god knows how long??

Marvellous.....

Shouldn't we not just bomb Greenland out of existence and then the high pressure will feck off. :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its just that its so cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

So glad we got out to park yesterday. Freezing cold and raining, I've left the boys at home and having a great day shopping!!!

Every cloud has a silver lining!

mojesius wrote: »
    The constant grey skies, rain and cold. Absolutely miserable. A duvet day at the end of May :(

Or a shopping day if your female!

appledrop wrote: »
    Or a shopping day if your female!

female here and HATE shopping :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Huge hail shower in south mayo
    Bitter out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and the wind is coming from the south? so why the low temps?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the past few days have been awful, but this May hasn't been too bad up to this week. The chill since the beginning of April has been the worst feature of this Spring rather than the rainfall. We really could do with some much needed warmth, especially following this cold Spring and last year's very poor summer.

Still 8 days to go before the end of month and Dunsany is sitting at a very wet 85.9mm of rainfall. Could hit 100mm of rainfall before the end of the month yet.

The temperature anomaly has recovered slightly but still well below average at 8.5C, which is 2 degree's below average.

Overall this Spring should finish dryer than average after a very dry March and April. April and May are likely to finish up cooler than average which will offset the very mild March.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

The disappointing low temperatures and in particular some of the very cool and indeed cold evenings have been one of the key features of May 2021 so far for me.
    I was out on Lough Conn in Co. Mayo yesterday and I scarcely recall a colder May evening afloat on one of the western loughs.
    I did however witness a phenomenon that I have not seen before and that was what looked like a flat rainbow.
    Below a pic taken of that rainbow near the village of Knockmore on the eastern shore of Lough Conn yesterday afternoon.

553863.jpg

sporina wrote: »
    female here and HATE shopping :mad:

Ah each to there own. It was 95% females in shops today.

Raining again here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after the heavy rain of last night and this morning, plenty of heavy icey cold rain and hail showers during the afternoon. Today wouldn't be out of place in the middle of December or January. Temperatures here in the 6 to 9C range all day.

Gonzo wrote: »
    after the heavy rain of last night and this morning, plenty of heavy icey cold rain and hail showers during the afternoon. Today wouldn't be out of place in the middle of December or January. Temperatures here in the 6 to 9C range all day.

wow where is that? mixed bag here in Cork but mostly dry and some sun.. temp's only 10-11ºC though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Very cold in Cobh today, a bit of sun once the rain had stopped and that was ok, but very windy.

That said, had a squall line go through at about 730am and that dropped the temperature from 10c right down to 4.8c. What the hell. Nothing decent on the horizon too... even the upcoming high pressure looks like it'll crucify us with onshore wind and keep the temperature at about 11 or 12c.

Hate this countrys weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Was in Mitchelstown this afternoon drove to Cashel then and the rain was intense. Temp on car was showing 7.5 degrees to 9 degrees along the road. It was horrible. Went out for a run at 9.30am this morning deluges of rain absolutely ridiculous

Was in Mitchelstown this afternoon drove to Cashel then and the rain was intense. Temp on car was showing 7.5 degrees to 9 degrees along the road. It was horrible. Went out for a run at 9.30am this morning deluges of rain absolutely ridiculous

when ever I am on the motorway and near The Galtees it always seems to rain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice Sat Pic from today as the front clears the E .

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

K3jF82N.png?1

pJLpYcL.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Currently below freezing in Castlederg.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Another early morning run another early morning soaking. The only difference between this mornings cold rain and say Jan/Feb is its bright now. It’s stopped now thankfully and it’s brightening up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Have to say that I'm really beginning to look for forward to Spring at this point. It's been a long winter.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It was this day last year that high pressure rose from the south and would bring us a fine, warm end to May with lots of hazy sunshine up to the start of June.

Grass here was all yellow and even some brown patches. A very dull and wet summer followed...

(I'm sure Oneiric has a better fax chart)

yrtY91E.gif

Fast forward a year on, we're stuck under various lows with high pressure a long way to our southwest and blocking to the north too. Grass is as green as ever courtesy of the rainfalls this May in spite of a very dry April.

a5K5Fr8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

I like the heavy thundery showers but any danky rainy day no thanks.

Anyways this year was looking like a repeat of 2020 regarding High at end of month but now its got incursions of cloud and rain mixed in.

Was at an empty Rosses Point 3 days in a row last May at 9am and when we left it was 26c each day. It was like being abroad.

Yesterday and Friday only got to 11c Saturday a bit better 13c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I gather we're promised better temperatures from mid week ??

Advertisement