Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judge Nolan strikes again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

T-Maxx wrote: »

18 months for murder if you knock off the 6 months already served, how can that be called justice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What a system we have, no previous just means he wasn't caught...

Lenient sentencing rarely surprises me but in this instance FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I am far too appalled by Nolan's utter contempt for the value of a human life to comment on this travesty.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He sentenced some man who burned a toddler's face with a blow torch to 2 years in Prison, so this is not a surprise. In learning of the blowtorch story, I said to my wife, was it Martin Nolan and she asked how I knew. Publically being shamed was enough punishment for a paedophile in the past too,

He's not fit to do the job as far as I'm concerned. He's presided over some absolutely astonishing judgements and he is woefully inconsistent.

Recently someone with child abuse images etc was sentenced to 3.5 yrs (2 suspended) another 60,000 given a straight up 2 year suspended sentence and another nothing due to the embarrassment and shame suffered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Seems so unfair, all this does is heap more sadness on Thiago Cortes' loved ones and family. Where is the deterrent here? Also can the 'boy' legally drive a car in 18 months?

As for Nolan, heaven help you if you don't pay your VAT but if you're a murderer or like looking at dirty pics of kids you should be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭ted1

FFS, that’s not justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Good old Irish judicial system sending out another clear message that we are a soft touch for criminal behaviour.

Serious top to bottom review of sentencing needed, otherwise these little b'stards keep getting away with little to no consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Good old Irish judicial system sending out another clear message that we are a soft touch for criminal behaviour.

Serious top to bottom review of sentencing needed, otherwise these little b'stards keep getting away with little to no consequences.

Hopefully the DPP will appeal this nonsensical sentence.

• Advertisement

I've always wondered with his sentencing if his peers wouldn't pull him up on it behind the scenes???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

This has absolutely boiled my piss, something must be up with this judge. How can anyone think he is of sound mind passing a ridiculous sentence like that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Inquitus wrote:
    18 months for murder if you knock off the 6 months already served, how can that be called justice?

Murder?
    Didn't know he was charged with murder

Hopefully the DPP will appeal this nonsensical sentence.

At 16 I assume that it was a stolen car. No mention of this or driving without licence and insurance. Looks like the DPP didn't want to throw the book at him either

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    At 16 I assume that it was a stolen car. No mention of this or driving without licence and insurance. Looks like the DPP didn't want to throw the book at him either

The article States it was purchased. The rest is probable true.

He wasn't charged with, nor would it reach the threshold of murder.

Don't see why a charge of manslaughter wasn't brought but the max sentence he could get for this charge is 5 years. Add in the age, the no previous and the 2 years is about right (in regards the averages. NOT my personal opinion)

This is the system we asked for or at the very least, silently accepted. We allowed under 18s to be almost untouchable. We allowed adults to consistently get away with crime.

Next time your local TD knocks, make it an election issue. More prisons, more Gardai and tougher sentences.

Don't see why a charge of manslaughter wasn't brought but the max sentence he could get for this charge is 5 years. Add in the age, the no previous and the 2 years is about right (in regards the averages. NOT my personal opinion)

It's usually causing death by dangerous driving. The average sentence for this for an adult is 3.5 years.

I was shocked when this happened last year. I am impressed that they got the court case and conviction in such a short time period.

It's usually causing death by dangerous driving. The average sentence for this for an adult is 3.5 years.

I was shocked when this happened last year. I am impressed that they got the court case and conviction in such a short time period.

There you go. So 2 years for a minor isn't unduly lenient by our standards

There you go. So 2 years for a minor isn't unduly lenient by our standards

It's not. It's a difficult one though. Obviously seems very low for the death of a man out minding his own business earning a living.

A tragedy if ever there was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The media needs to do an investigation into Nolans sentencing record compared to others.
    I'd suggest people email their concerns to Prime Time investigates as I have done, to see if they will do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Martin Nolan is a disgrace, an old sports coach of mine who it turned out had been raping a young boy (not me) week in week out got a sentence measured in months from him also. It is soul destroying

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

mod note - criticize away, but anything that is that blatantly defamatory as the last (now deleted post) can take a holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I've always wondered with his sentencing if his peers wouldn't pull him up on it behind the scenes???

A judge with an independent streak isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Rather than focusing on a single judge an overhaul on a hugely political appointment system along with training in their area of appointment might be in order. Appointment on ability not political leaning would be a good place to get improvement to.

Judges often serve in areas they have very little or zero experience in which is mental.

The problem here isn't Nolan, but the generally short sentence people get when they kill with a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Must be like getting your numbers to spin the wheel for a scumbag when they land in to Court and its this judge sentencing.

Its amazing that a circuit court judge is so widely known in the country. The ordinary citizen would struggle to name a circuit court judge bar him. Not for a good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Just as the book of Quantum was changed for insurance payouts, we need an equivalent process for serious crimes. Set up new mandatory sentences that judges have to follow. Perhaps put together by a citizens assembly. Relying on precedent is not going to cut it anymore.

Something like this should carry 10 years minimum. Thats assuming he didn't deliberately try to hit him, which i think is a big assumption for these sorts of characters in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Thats assuming he didn't deliberately try to hit him, which i think is a big assumption for these sorts of characters in that area.

Whoa, wtf? Disparaging a whole area is a pretty f*cking big leap here, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fred Cryton View Post
    Thats assuming he didn't deliberately try to hit him, which i think is a big assumption for these sorts of characters in that area.

Dont think as you suggest he " disparaged the whole area " but referred to " those sorts of characters " in that area .

However dont let that minor issue get in the way of your outrage. :rolleyes:

A judge with an independent streak isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Rather than focusing on a single judge an overhaul on a hugely political appointment system along with training in their area of appointment might be in order. Appointment on ability not political leaning would be a good place to get improvement to.

Judges often serve in areas they have very little or zero experience in which is mental.

The problem here isn't Nolan, but the generally short sentence people get when they kill with a car

Yeah it's been said here before that if you want to kill someone in this country do it with a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Yeah it's been said here before that if you want to kill someone in this country do it with a car.

An ex a car and Judge Nolan, the ultimate fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Seems you get more time in jail from Martin Nolan if you threaten you'll kill someone than if you actuallly do.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/brothers-jailed-for-harassment-of-rathfarnham-family-over-sons-debt-1130110.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wasn’t Nolan a Garda before moving to kings inn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

At 16 I assume that it was a stolen car.

Young people often chip in and buy bangers, then drive them with no insurance or tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Just as the book of Quantum was changed for insurance payouts, we need an equivalent process for serious crimes. Set up new mandatory sentences that judges have to follow. Perhaps put together by a citizens assembly. Relying on precedent is not going to cut it anymore.

Something like this should carry 10 years minimum. Thats assuming he didn't deliberately try to hit him, which i think is a big assumption for these sorts of characters in that area.

10 years for a road accident?

begbysback wrote: »
    10 years for a road accident?

10 years for killing a man and fleeing the scene. What’s accidental about driving through a red light anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

10 years for killing a man and fleeing the scene. What’s accidental about driving through a red light anyway?

Fleeing the scene of what, an accident maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

To drive with 80 through the city through red lights is now an accident? It may not be premeditated murder but its definitely closer to murder than it is to an accident.

• Advertisement

Of a crime, not an accident. A hit and run. What kind of dumb argument are you making here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, poor young lad was accidentally speeding, accidentally breaking red lights, accidentally driving without insurance. Not his fault really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

par for the course. if you want to kill someone in Ireland, do it with a vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

T-Maxx wrote: »

His real learning will take place in crime college. He may well end up with a PhD in crime.

Effects wrote: »
    Young people often chip in and buy bangers, then drive them with no insurance or tax.

I've since been told that this is the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,062 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, poor young lad was accidentally speeding, accidentally breaking red lights, accidentally driving without insurance. Not his fault really.

Well this is what happens when people decide someone who is not mature enough to drink a beer, smoke a fag or choose his local representative is allowed control a giant fast moving metal box.

I know #notallkids but when you think about it it's odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It would be great if all the pond rats could be chained together and put out working every day.
    Clearing rubbish out of ditches etc instead of housing them within in prisons all day where they act the mikeen Tyson.
    Bunch of useless entitled wasters.
    If they were out working all day there wouldn’t be half as much guff out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

What's the problem with disparaging a whole area when the whole area absolutely deserves it? Do you get off on pious virtue signalling or what?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Wasn’t Nolan a Garda before moving to kings inn

For ten years. Then a barrister.

No idea what service as a garda though. Could have been a desk jockey with little real policing experience.

Hard to understand his sentences if he actually walked the beat and dealt with crimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Lads

What do you do about it....

This has come up before.

Same **** keeps happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What's the problem with disparaging a whole area when the whole area absolutely deserves it? Do you get off on pious virtue signalling or what?

It's text book prejudice really. Leads to things like people asking my wife in a job interview whether she was embarrassed to be from where she was from. And far worse, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

To put this judgement into context. My brother in law (37) was killed by a speeding drunk driver who fled the scene. He had previous convictions for drunk driving and should have been off the road anyway. Left a grieving wife and 3 young kids (1 unborn ah the time).

When it went to court he got 4 and a half years with the last 12 months suspended.

Although it’s easy and probably somewhat justified to call out Nolan maybe we need to look at the legal system he operates in and direct our anger towards that instead.

Quote:

Dont think as you suggest he " disparaged the whole area " but referred to " those sorts of characters " in that area .

However dont let that minor issue get in the way of your outrage. :rolleyes:

He helpfully went on to disparage the area as well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In fairness I've spent enough time around there to know it's full of little c*nts with attitude problems, gangs of teens with no fear in them all over the place

In fairness I've spent enough time around there to know it's full of little c*nts with attitude problems, gangs of teens with no fear in them all over the place

Yeah, it was the explicit disparagement of the area that seemed depressingly familiar to me. Anyway, I guess this is derailing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement