Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Judge Nolan strikes again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

T-Maxx wrote: »

18 months for murder if you knock off the 6 months already served, how can that be called justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What a system we have, no previous just means he wasn't caught...

Lenient sentencing rarely surprises me but in this instance FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I am far too appalled by Nolan's utter contempt for the value of a human life to comment on this travesty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He sentenced some man who burned a toddler's face with a blow torch to 2 years in Prison, so this is not a surprise. In learning of the blowtorch story, I said to my wife, was it Martin Nolan and she asked how I knew. Publically being shamed was enough punishment for a paedophile in the past too,

He's not fit to do the job as far as I'm concerned. He's presided over some absolutely astonishing judgements and he is woefully inconsistent.

Recently someone with child abuse images etc was sentenced to 3.5 yrs (2 suspended) another 60,000 given a straight up 2 year suspended sentence and another nothing due to the embarrassment and shame suffered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Seems so unfair, all this does is heap more sadness on Thiago Cortes' loved ones and family. Where is the deterrent here? Also can the 'boy' legally drive a car in 18 months?

As for Nolan, heaven help you if you don't pay your VAT but if you're a murderer or like looking at dirty pics of kids you should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

FFS, that’s not justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Good old Irish judicial system sending out another clear message that we are a soft touch for criminal behaviour.

Serious top to bottom review of sentencing needed, otherwise these little b'stards keep getting away with little to no consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Good old Irish judicial system sending out another clear message that we are a soft touch for criminal behaviour.

Serious top to bottom review of sentencing needed, otherwise these little b'stards keep getting away with little to no consequences.

Hopefully the DPP will appeal this nonsensical sentence.

• Advertisement

I've always wondered with his sentencing if his peers wouldn't pull him up on it behind the scenes???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

This has absolutely boiled my piss, something must be up with this judge. How can anyone think he is of sound mind passing a ridiculous sentence like that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Inquitus wrote:
    18 months for murder if you knock off the 6 months already served, how can that be called justice?

Murder?
    Didn't know he was charged with murder

Hopefully the DPP will appeal this nonsensical sentence.

At 16 I assume that it was a stolen car. No mention of this or driving without licence and insurance. Looks like the DPP didn't want to throw the book at him either

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    At 16 I assume that it was a stolen car. No mention of this or driving without licence and insurance. Looks like the DPP didn't want to throw the book at him either

The article States it was purchased. The rest is probable true.

He wasn't charged with, nor would it reach the threshold of murder.

Don't see why a charge of manslaughter wasn't brought but the max sentence he could get for this charge is 5 years. Add in the age, the no previous and the 2 years is about right (in regards the averages. NOT my personal opinion)

This is the system we asked for or at the very least, silently accepted. We allowed under 18s to be almost untouchable. We allowed adults to consistently get away with crime.

Next time your local TD knocks, make it an election issue. More prisons, more Gardai and tougher sentences.

Don't see why a charge of manslaughter wasn't brought but the max sentence he could get for this charge is 5 years. Add in the age, the no previous and the 2 years is about right (in regards the averages. NOT my personal opinion)

It's usually causing death by dangerous driving. The average sentence for this for an adult is 3.5 years.

I was shocked when this happened last year. I am impressed that they got the court case and conviction in such a short time period.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's usually causing death by dangerous driving. The average sentence for this for an adult is 3.5 years.

I was shocked when this happened last year. I am impressed that they got the court case and conviction in such a short time period.

There you go. So 2 years for a minor isn't unduly lenient by our standards

There you go. So 2 years for a minor isn't unduly lenient by our standards

It's not. It's a difficult one though. Obviously seems very low for the death of a man out minding his own business earning a living.

A tragedy if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The media needs to do an investigation into Nolans sentencing record compared to others.
    I'd suggest people email their concerns to Prime Time investigates as I have done, to see if they will do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Martin Nolan is a disgrace, an old sports coach of mine who it turned out had been raping a young boy (not me) week in week out got a sentence measured in months from him also. It is soul destroying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

mod note - criticize away, but anything that is that blatantly defamatory as the last (now deleted post) can take a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I've always wondered with his sentencing if his peers wouldn't pull him up on it behind the scenes???

A judge with an independent streak isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Rather than focusing on a single judge an overhaul on a hugely political appointment system along with training in their area of appointment might be in order. Appointment on ability not political leaning would be a good place to get improvement to.

Judges often serve in areas they have very little or zero experience in which is mental.

The problem here isn't Nolan, but the generally short sentence people get when they kill with a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Must be like getting your numbers to spin the wheel for a scumbag when they land in to Court and its this judge sentencing.

Its amazing that a circuit court judge is so widely known in the country. The ordinary citizen would struggle to name a circuit court judge bar him. Not for a good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Just as the book of Quantum was changed for insurance payouts, we need an equivalent process for serious crimes. Set up new mandatory sentences that judges have to follow. Perhaps put together by a citizens assembly. Relying on precedent is not going to cut it anymore.

Something like this should carry 10 years minimum. Thats assuming he didn't deliberately try to hit him, which i think is a big assumption for these sorts of characters in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Thats assuming he didn't deliberately try to hit him, which i think is a big assumption for these sorts of characters in that area.

Whoa, wtf? Disparaging a whole area is a pretty f*cking big leap here, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fred Cryton View Post
    Thats assuming he didn't deliberately try to hit him, which i think is a big assumption for these sorts of characters in that area.
    Whoa, wtf? Disparaging a whole area is a pretty f*cking big leap here, no?

Dont think as you suggest he " disparaged the whole area " but referred to " those sorts of characters " in that area .

However dont let that minor issue get in the way of your outrage. :rolleyes:

A judge with an independent streak isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Rather than focusing on a single judge an overhaul on a hugely political appointment system along with training in their area of appointment might be in order. Appointment on ability not political leaning would be a good place to get improvement to.

Judges often serve in areas they have very little or zero experience in which is mental.

The problem here isn't Nolan, but the generally short sentence people get when they kill with a car

Yeah it's been said here before that if you want to kill someone in this country do it with a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Yeah it's been said here before that if you want to kill someone in this country do it with a car.

An ex a car and Judge Nolan, the ultimate fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Seems you get more time in jail from Martin Nolan if you threaten you'll kill someone than if you actuallly do.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/brothers-jailed-for-harassment-of-rathfarnham-family-over-sons-debt-1130110.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wasn’t Nolan a Garda before moving to kings inn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement