Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

• 13-05-2021 6:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

New thread as old one is nearly at 10000 post limit.

Old thread
    Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

New thread and a new Rory 2.0

He will win at least one major in this thread

I think he will win at least 7 majors by careers end. Sir Nick has 6 so the motivation to beat that most be immense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Could he go back to back at the PGA? I'd say its unlikely but he's suddenly a serious contender.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rory should be contending in this major at the very least . He should be strutting down that first fairway like a fashion model, full of confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

sxt wrote: »
    Rory should be contending in this major at the very least . He should be strutting down that first fairway like a fashion model, full of confidence

Hope he's feeling more confident than a fashion model!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

sxt wrote: »
    New thread and a new Rory 2.0

He will win at least one major in this thread

I think he will win at least 7 majors by careers end. Sir Nick has 6 so the motivation to beat that most be immense

Don't know about that. I think the era of one or two players dominating the game is over. There seems to be a conveyor belt of young talent coming through and it's harder than ever to win multiple majors. And Rory is one of the old men on tour these days. I don't see him winning more than one major and honestly I have doubts he'll do even that unless he can sort out his tendency to play one magnificent round one dreadful round and two average rounds in every major.

My bet is by the time this thread ends he'll still be on 4 majors but will still be firmly in the top 20 in the world.

• Advertisement

I'm going to call it now and say he'll have 6 majors and 30 odd pga titles when this thread ends.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

touts wrote: »
    Don't know about that. I think the era of one or two players dominating the game is over. There seems to be a conveyor belt of young talent coming through and it's harder than ever to win multiple majors. And Rory is one of the old men on tour these days. I don't see him winning more than one major and honestly I have doubts he'll do even that unless he can sort out his tendency to play one magnificent round one dreadful round and two average rounds in every major.

My bet is by the time this thread ends he'll still be on 4 majors but will still be firmly in the top 20 in the world.

I'll go for four more and eight by the end of the thread. Rory has just turned 32 and is in what is the historical prime for golfers. If he remains committed and has the hunger he'll win more for sure.

There are lots of good young players alright and a considerable conveyor belt of talent, but Rory's a notch above when at his best. He's just won a big tournament against a high-class field while finding his swing, there's not many players that can do that.

Think he probably needs a major this year though for confidence and hunger as it's been too long and is probably playing on his mind and affecting his confidence. He's a different animal when confident.

Anyway I hope he completes the grand slam and edges towards double figures in majors and if he doesn't I'll still enjoy watching him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hopefully he'll have an Olympic medal as well, for team ireland + 2 more majors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Hard to know how it'll pan out for him really.
    I always remember a piece I read years ago when Rory was just starting out, I think it was by Lawrence Donegan in Golf World, but could be wrong on that, where he predicted Rory would finish up with 5 majors, and gave his reasons.

Back in 2014 I would have thought 10/12 was possible, now, I think maybe he'll get to 6. He's 32 now, so if he has 5 years left at the VERY top, that's 20 majors to play, I think he could pick up at least 2 out of those. He might then sneak a final soft US Open/PGA or something when he's close to 40.

Then again Mickelson was older when he won his first and he has 5, so who knows with golf.

Hope he proves me wrong and goes on a tear and wins 4 of the next 7 or something mad like that. A generational talent IMO, but you can't help feel that last 5 years was a bit, not wasted, maybe unfulfilled, two FedEX Cups and $40m later obviously :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So was it the Indian or the Arrow? :p

• Advertisement

To win one more major where he absolutely blitzes the field, possibly the Open, but no Masters as the pressure mounts, before this thread reaches its conclusion.

Rory has confirmed he will be playing in the Olympics. Good to hear as some names have pulled out due to the Covid situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Brad Faxon described Harry Diamond as Rory's "secret sauce" there.

A little OTT possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Poor start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Did he just put ball OB off first again at a major?

Looking at double...working and on in background in silent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gypsy79 wrote: »

Into a hazard so looking at bogey if he can make up and down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not a great bunker shot but got lucky...about 6 foot for bogey...

gypsy79 wrote: »

No it was a hazard. Recovered well to make a good bogey.

Good bogie, this is a tough tough course.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Lipped out for eagle on the next

• Advertisement

We're only 3 holes in but he's putting well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Very ragged stuff from him. Putter stopped saving him on last two holes. Disaster of a bogey on the par 5 2nd hole.

Looks to be playing himself out of contention once again in the first round of a major. Needs to get hitting some fairways and greens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

Early signs not promising - 2 bogey sixes tells a sad familiar story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’d liked to see a stat on his scores in first round of majors compared to others over last 5 years

Careless careless 3 putt at the fifth, his 14th hole of the day for Rors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

boardise wrote: »
    Early signs not promising - 2 bogey sixes tells a sad familiar story.

Both into the wind. First one he had 320 yards after good drive. Unlucky that his ball plugged in the waste area and koepka’s just carried it. Koepka got up and down for birdie from over 100 after two good shots on a par 5.

Careless careless 3 putt at the fifth, his 14th hole of the day for Rors.

That’s the big mistake of the day. Probably forcing it a bit but the pace of the first putt was bad. You’re asking for trouble hitting it 6 feet past.

Trampas wrote: »
    I’d liked to see a stat on his scores in first round of majors compared to others over last 5 years

Prior to this years Masters, he is 28 over for first round in majors since 2015.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/rory-mcilroy-majors-stat-continues-masters-2020/

You’ll see it later or tomorrow. Last I saw was something like +10 for thursdays and -25 for Friday to Sunday. Not sure how many majors that was over.

• Advertisement

Here are some stats on Rorys 1st rounds at the majors since 2015-2020. Throw in a +4 for 2021 masters and at least a +2 for this 2021 pga. It's a pattern that needs changing

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1327365065591451648?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Trampas

Thanks.

That’s some difference

Nearly unbelievable. His sports psychologist probably tells him he’s great on the Thursday and continue how he plays

Still trying to figure it out off the tee, won't happen overnight definitely a work in progress.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He was wild off the tee in Quail Hollow too but got away with it, not getting away with it here

3 bogies on Par 5’s is just not good enough. That’s where he should be making his ground on other players.

Driving has been abysmal today. Not massively offline but just not giving himself comfortable shots to the green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

3 bogies on Par 5’s is just not good enough. That’s where he should be making his ground on other players.

Driving has been abysmal today. Not massively offline but just not giving himself comfortable shots to the green

Yep three par 5s today he got 6. It has cost him today as a level par round wouldn’t be bad

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Yep three par 5s today he got 6. It has cost him today as a level par round wouldn’t be bad

All really sloppy too. Awful second on 17, duff two shots on 2 and then a snap hook 3rd shot on the 7th.

First time he has ever bogied 3 par 5’s in a round at a major

There are too many good golfers at the top already, I'm afraid his chances are probably gone

OEP wrote: »
    There are too many good golfers at the top already, I'm afraid his chances are probably gone

He's three over not ten over!

Who knows level par could be leading on Saturday or Sunday depending on the wind. Obviously not an ideal start, but he certainly didn't shoot himself out of it when he easily could have.

Here is Justin ray with the updated stat;

Rory McIlroy shot 75 today.

Rory's score to par in major championships since the beginning of 2015

1st round: +35
    2nd-4th round: -62

Surely some mental block there causing it, probably something Rotella has been working on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

He's three over not ten over!

Who knows level par could be leading on Saturday or Sunday depending on the wind. Obviously not an ideal start, but he certainly didn't shoot himself out of it when he easily could have.

Gaining 6 shots on Koepka is a tall order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

OEP wrote: »
    Gaining 6 shots on Koepka is a tall order

Gaining 6 shots over 54 holes is not a problem, its do able over 18 - the problem is not the gap to Koepka, its the 100 others in between.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Gaining 6 shots over 54 holes is not a problem, its do able over 18 - the problem is not the gap to Koepka, its the 100 others in between.

Well yes but if it was lesser known names leading you'd be confident they'll fall back pretty quickly. Koepka and Hovland 6 ahead, Morikawa and others 5 ahead. He'll need to shoot the lights out for three days and I think that's unlikely given how his driving is currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

That's an unbelievable stat, hard to fathom.

I'm as big a fan of Rory as you'll find, but I think this tournament is probably gone already. As they say, you can't win it Thursday but you can lose it. Yeah, he's only 8 back, and its nothing over 3 rounds and can be made up and all of that, but how often is it actually made up, really ? Not happening I'm afraid.

I 100% hope he proves me wrong and shoots 66 today.

What's the winning score going to be ? 8 under maybe ? Even at 8 under he has to shoot crazy good golf to get there from where he is. Mind you it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he threw three 70s at it for a comfortable top 10.

Today will tell a tale when the early/late tee time differences play out and we have a better idea of where everyone stands.

As a random aside, I think I've rarely, if ever, seen him play well in a big event when paired with JT for some reason.

I think -10 will be needed to win. The conditions don't seem to be getting any worse or better for the week, just the wind direction is changing. In 2012 second place was -5 but there was one horrendous day where even McIlroy shot 75 and he ran away with the tournament. He needs two 68s over the next two days to have a chance, but I think he'll be 3 or 4 shots back even if he manages that going out on Sunday.

Russman wrote: »
    That's an unbelievable stat, hard to fathom.

I'm as big a fan of Rory as you'll find, but I think this tournament is probably gone already. As they say, you can't win it Thursday but you can lose it. Yeah, he's only 8 back, and its nothing over 3 rounds and can be made up and all of that, but how often is it actually made up, really ? Not happening I'm afraid.

I 100% hope he proves me wrong and shoots 66 today.

What's the winning score going to be ? 8 under maybe ? Even at 8 under he has to shoot crazy good golf to get there from where he is. Mind you it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he threw three 70s at it for a comfortable top 10.

Today will tell a tale when the early/late tee time differences play out and we have a better idea of where everyone stands.

As a random aside, I think I've rarely, if ever, seen him play well in a big event when paired with JT for some reason.

There's no way 8 under is the winning score if the course plays like yesterday every day. The winning score will be moving closer to level par than 8 under I imagine. Add in the Sunday pressure of a major and not many will be shooting under par.

It's going to be attritional and whoever holds it together the best will win. Agree that Rory is an unlikely winner from where he is, but there's a strong possibility that 3 70s would be enough for him to win imo. Rory shot better than the average score yesterday. Don't think a 66 is needed today but the worry is that he thinks it is and completely shoots himself out of it trying for it.

Anything under par from him or any other golfer today is a good score. People generally underestimate the difficulty of course setups for majors (this one is a monster, especially if the wind stays up) allied to the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Rory is by no means out of it if he is on form, but he is not playing his best or anywhere near it. Too loose off the tee around here.
    He needs a 68 minimum today to put himself back in the mix.

Think the win is probably gone but if he can pull it together he could pull off a top 20 or top 10.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Think the win is probably gone but if he can pull it together he could pull off a top 20 or top 10.

Helps the bank balance, but that’s about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

He was 8 behind after round 1 2 weeks ago in Quail Hollow, so I think we are being a bit premature fully writing him off. He is 6 back currently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement