Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold car yesterday, now buyer demand full refund

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

KKV wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Right. So you've never been in a court room, or dealt with the Gardai.

Why do you want to get Gardai involved in a Civil case?!

grogi wrote: »

There is no case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Please stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Salim57774 wrote: »
    She messaged me yesterday saying she booked it with VW garage and she got appointment today and they inspected the car and told her the car needs new oil switch, a whole new timing chain kit and it will cost 2800€ and she is demanding me to pay 2000 toward repair or return the car for full refund otherwise she will be getting a solictor and contacting the guards
    I was told by last owner timing was done and i wrote to her that before buying it in DoneDeal and i told her to bring her own mechanic to inspect it.

Do you think it’s just the time to block her on DoneDeal ?

Aside from the fact that it's highly unlikely that the car is checked that fast by a main dealer VW garage. A timing chain is not a time defined replacement like a timing belt. Before yiming chains go they get noisy and rattle. Any good mechanic inspecting such a car privately woukd be aware of that. Cannot imagine even at a VW main dealer a timing chain repair costing that kind of money. These parts would be available from any reputable motor factors.

OP this has scam written all over it. Do not give anything as goodwill. Block the number and move on.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP - it could well be some money laundering scam where they passed either stolen money to you - which you passed through your bank account - and now they will get ‘different’ money back.More likely they have stolen a part or swapped out parts or been involved in an accident on the road and want to get rid of the car - or used it in a crime and want to get rid of it.

You gave them every opportunity, they satisfied themselves and drove the car off the property - it in was in full working order when they drove it off your premises and you are not liable for anything that happened it since. What if they hit & killed someone, or ran up parking tickets or speeding tickets, or were involved in causing a crash - they are dumping the car and evidence back on you. Have nothing to do with them and if possible report their heavy handed tactics and attempted intimidation to the police. It was sold as seen & fulll mechanical inspections done before the sale was completed - so it was Sold in good faith € now having taken it and driven for for a day they are trying to pressurise and intimidate you out of the sale price. Possibly saw a cheaper one elsewhere - not your issue. The big issue is the criminal or accident risk. report them & move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Ignore them, if they came back to you 10 years after buying the car, would you entertain such a conversation?
    The principle is the exact same, once they take ownership of the car, you have no further responsibility to that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Aside from the fact that it's highly unlikely that the car is checked that fast by a main dealer VW garage. A timing chain is not a time defined replacement like a timing belt. Before yiming chains go they get noisy and rattle. Any good mechanic inspecting such a car privately woukd be aware of that. Cannot imagine even at a VW main dealer a timing chain repair costing that kind of money. These parts would be available from any reputable motor factors.

OP this has scam written all over it. Do not give anything as goodwill. Block the number and move on.

Agree with you about the vw garage especially on a Monday morning the busy day of the week when cars are booked from the previous week, a lot of mechanics mark the miles the timing belt was changed on the cover in a white marker for all to see. What the buyer is looking for is money off to get rid of her off the phone with the talk of legal action. How many would give over money and she is on a winner. One of the best scams was a guy in Waterford who would buy a bull and bring the old mammy with him to collect the animal and drink the tea and mammy would ring up after to say how well the bull was doing and how happy she was with the bull and then the phone call to say the bull hadn’t worked the job and would the seller take the bull back and all she wanted was her money back and no compensation. Had pulled the scam for a good few years in a different county each year and had the cows in calf for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Salim57774 wrote: »
    She messaged me yesterday saying she booked it with VW garage and she got appointment today and they inspected the car and told her the car needs new oil switch, a whole new timing chain kit and it will cost 2800€ and she is demanding me to pay 2000 toward repair or return the car for full refund otherwise she will be getting a solictor and contacting the guards
    I was told by last owner timing was done and i wrote to her that before buying it in DoneDeal and i told her to bring her own mechanic to inspect it.

Do you think it’s just the time to block her on DoneDeal ?

Block to feck, if she comes back she comes back.
    Worry about it then. You bought and sold in good faith if what you say is true.
    Thats the way the private car sale market goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Same thing happened to my friend, sold a car and the engine went kaput 2 weeks later. Demanded a refund, wouldn't stop ringing, said she was going to the guards. Rang the guards himself and they said that's a private matter nothing to do with them, solicitor also advised him he has no liability so he just kept ignoring the calls and it went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭redsheeps

From the opposite point of view. Purchased car privately, had it a week, car flooded with water due to a design fault (leaves blocked drainage so water built up and came into the cabin).

I only contacted the seller to see if it happened to them previously purely to know how they might have previously fixed it. Other than that I had no recourse to get any money back, I was given all the time in the world to inspect and test drive the car, and could have brought a mechanic with me to inspect but I didn't.

The issue was now mine to deal with, not the sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

rob316 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to my friend, sold a car and the engine went kaput 2 weeks later. Demanded a refund, wouldn't stop ringing, said she was going to the guards. Rang the guards himself and they said that's a private matter nothing to do with them, solicitor also advised him he has no liability so he just kept ignoring the calls and it went away.

You engage Gardaí incorrectly. That's true that Gardaí have nothing to do in a civil case, yet a criminal activity is of interest to them.

What you need to report is that you're being harassed and that you're afraid about your safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBlock

redsheeps wrote: »
    From the opposite point of view. Purchased car privately, had it a week, car flooded with water due to a design fault (leaves blocked drainage so water built up and came into the cabin).

I only contacted the seller to see if it happened to them previously purely to know how they might have previously fixed it. Other than that I had no recourse to get any money back, I was given all the time in the world to inspect and test drive the car, and could have brought a mechanic with me to inspect but I didn't.

The issue was now mine to deal with, not the sellers.

Golf??Happend to me numerous times...

You engage Gardaí incorrectly. That's true that Gardaí have nothing to do in a civil case, yet a criminal activity is of interest to them.

What you need to report is that you're being harassed and that you're afraid about your safety.

My friend was more interested about if he had a case to answer to than his own safety. Absolutely though if you feel you are been harrassed and unsafe, engage the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just to repeat the best advice. DO NOT REPLY TO ANYTHING THEY SAY. You've said enough. It's their car, and their problem. Block them on donedeal and on your phone. If they try and contact you by showing up outside your house or something, call the gardai. Doubtful that'll happen as it looks like a scam.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't understand how this thread is still open. There's nothing to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭redsheeps

Would say that a sense of the OP being kind and as a result potentially being vulnerable to being scammed or pushed into giving the money back got people interested in the topic to support the OP in not being pushed around.

And do not offer a penny in "goodwill" all your doing is admitting liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP was she rough? were her male friends rough? was there a threatening tone to her voice? if so maybe have the your local Station on speed-dial, best to veer on the side of caution - just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I was beginning to think the same myself but then this thread started https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058187351.

Maybe there is more to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

elperello wrote: »
    I was beginning to think the same myself but then this thread started https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058187351.

Maybe there is more to discuss.

Unlike the OP in this case I’ve not replied or engaged the new owner. And despite the initial urge to I won’t be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Unlike the OP in this case I’ve not replied or engaged the new owner. And despite the initial urge to I won’t be

Don't give them another thought.

Just let it all go and move on is the only answer in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Well have ye any out come on the car that was sold.??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Block the buyers number end of.

Advertisement