Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Corona Virus and events

16769717273

Comments



  • Mullingar Half Marathon going ahead on September 25th as per their Facebook page.




  • FinnC wrote: »
    Mullingar Half Marathon going ahead on September 25th as per their Facebook page.

    Good call by them.
    I think Dublin may have jumped too early cancelling the national half.
    Great to have some people take the step and confirm given the direction things are moving.




  • Good call by them.
    I think Dublin may have jumped too early cancelling the national half.
    Great to have some people take the step and confirm given the direction things are moving.

    Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Most events I've seen so far are on dates I can't make, normally wouldn't be a problem but this year it is, as there are no alternatives! Be great to see these announcements start to come thick and fast now.




  • Good call by them.
    I think Dublin may have jumped too early cancelling the national half.
    Great to have some people take the step and confirm given the direction things are moving.

    I think the whole series as a virtual event works better. If that trade off gets the marathon happening properly so be it.




  • Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I think the whole series as a virtual event works better. If that trade off gets the marathon happening properly so be it.

    National half would have been late September though, with bibs posted so no expo/indoor Reg.
    Could have worked for sure in the park, maybe they used virtual series as part of bargaining for the long term benefits as you say.


  • Advertisement


  • Do athletics Ireland need to give the go ahead before we will see any club races etc ? Any announcements so far seem to be independent of them?




  • Clew Bay Half Marathon & 10k on 18 September. Limited to 200 entrants and already 50% full according to their FB page. Ran this 3 years ago; a great race on a very scenic and challenging course. I've entered again and hopefully it'll go ahead; if anything it's a nice excuse for a weekend away from the big smoke.




  • Berlin has confirmed today that it is going ahead.

    https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/your-registration/registration-information/faq/

    Annoying that I've booked Manchester as wasn't expecting Berlin to go ahead!




  • Bluesquare wrote: »
    Do athletics Ireland need to give the go ahead before we will see any club races etc ? Any announcements so far seem to be independent of them?

    We don't have any government announcements about outdoor gathering numbers yet. I'd hope it will be likes of 200 from 9th of June for whatever the next easing restriction is for (lets say July or August), then up to 500, until we know this figure very hard to plan other than throwing provisional dates out.




  • Timmaay wrote: »
    We don't have any government announcements about outdoor gathering numbers yet. I'd hope it will be likes of 200 from 9th of June for whatever the next easing restriction is for (lets say July or August), then up to 500, until we know this figure very hard to plan other than throwing provisional dates out.

    I don't think that will be relevant for sporting events this time. Last year after National Seniors, the 200 limit was dropped for sporting events, and only applied to other outdoor gatherings. As a result Masters and Juniors were able to go ahead without the need for the creativity needed to get Seniors over the line.


  • Advertisement


  • The cut off time for Boston entry is apparently 7+ minutes quicker than the time you needed just to apply for 2021, and that is after they made the qualification times 5 minutes quicker than 2019 when it was a 4+ minutes quicker you needed to be.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/sports/boston-marathon-2021-fast.html?0p19G=0232

    Comparison slightly skewed by reduced entry numbers, but still quite a bit quicker than people would have expected to need to run.

    Thinking my London 2022 time is going to need to be a lot quicker yet.




  • robinph wrote: »
    The cut off time for Boston entry is apparently 7+ minutes quicker than the time you needed just to apply for 2021, and that is after they made the qualification times 5 minutes quicker than 2019 when it was a 4+ minutes quicker you needed to be.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/sports/boston-marathon-2021-fast.html?0p19G=0232

    Comparison slightly skewed by reduced entry numbers, but still quite a bit quicker than people would have expected to need to run.

    Thinking my London 2022 time is going to need to be a lot quicker yet.




    Just a new challenge for you




  • robinph wrote: »
    The cut off time for Boston entry is apparently 7+ minutes quicker than the time you needed just to apply for 2021, and that is after they made the qualification times 5 minutes quicker than 2019 when it was a 4+ minutes quicker you needed to be.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/sports/boston-marathon-2021-fast.html?0p19G=0232

    Comparison slightly skewed by reduced entry numbers, but still quite a bit quicker than people would have expected to need to run.

    Thinking my London 2022 time is going to need to be a lot quicker yet.

    I know it helps a bit to be old (me!) but am I the only one who thinks those QTs are slow? The fastest is 3.00, correct? But that's for 18 to 34 year olds. The middle aged ones, well, they just seem generous. 45-49 years =3hrs 20min.




  • Itziger wrote: »
    I know it helps a bit to be old (me!) but am I the only one who thinks those QTs are slow? The fastest is 3.00, correct? But that's for 18 to 34 year olds. The middle aged ones, well, they just seem generous. 45-49 years =3hrs 20min.

    Boston qualifier times are slower than the other majors simply because, bar a relatively small number of charity/tourist places, everyone is a qualifier.

    No mass market entry = more qualifier places = more "generous" QTs.




  • Orienteering Ireland have gotten formal notification that they can resume competitions with 100 competitors in June. I presume this advice will also carry over to athletics events (orienteering would be a lot more "socially distanced" but I presume the powers that be don't care that much about the specifics).




  • Stark wrote: »
    Orienteering Ireland have gotten formal notification that they can resume competitions with 100 competitors in June. I presume this advice will also carry over to athletics events (orienteering would be a lot more "socially distanced" but I presume the powers that be don't care that much about the specifics).

    Yes, looks to be the same for AI:

    https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/coronavirus-covid-19-update

    Sounds like we'll have the Dublin graded in the same form as last year, and I'd imagine they've been preparing for it (can't remember how quickly Dublin Athletics went from announcement to first competition). Hopefully able to start earlier and get more than 3 in too!




  • Sacksian wrote: »
    Yes, looks to be the same for AI:

    https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/coronavirus-covid-19-update

    Sounds like we'll have the Dublin graded in the same form as last year, and I'd imagine they've been preparing for it (can't remember how quickly Dublin Athletics went from announcement to first competition). Hopefully able to start earlier and get more than 3 in too!

    Limit last year was 200 - 100 will be much more challenging for organisers, perhaps even to the point where they'd consider it not worthwhile to bother staging a competition.




  • Oiriallach wrote: »
    Limit last year was 200 - 100 will be much more challenging for organisers, perhaps even to the point where they'd consider it not worthwhile to bother staging a competition.

    That does make a difference! I only did one of the gradeds last year, but it was one event in, one event out at Morton Stadium, so they might have been operating with fewer than 200.

    Worth noting that the 100 is a recommendation and the Sport Ireland document says that:
    NGBs remain best placed to determine the final capacities and develop the required structures for safe competition.

    AI are better placed than most to do this given that they actually hosted safe competition last year. As you say though, it's really up to them to decide whether they believe that's the case.




  • AAI are going with 100. How is it possible to hold Nationals or any meaningful competition with such ridiculous restrictions for outdoor events.

    Looks like I'll be racing in Mary Peters a lot this summer. First one this Saturday.


  • Advertisement


  • Oiriallach wrote: »
    Limit last year was 200 - 100 will be much more challenging for organisers, perhaps even to the point where they'd consider it not worthwhile to bother staging a competition.

    A 200 person limit could have allowed a lot more events to go ahead, including a lot of park runs here.




  • Ugggh yeh alot of committees planning meets based on the 200 person limit last few weeks (which itself is very tricky, trying to juggle timetables etc). 100 people really means 80 max athlete's to allow for officals etc.




  • Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    A 200 person limit could have allowed a lot more events to go ahead, including a lot of park runs here.


    Park runs are further down the road than road races right now. Scotland, Wales, North and Ireland are resisting it alot.
    Wales has the highest vaccination and they are against it still.




  • Chivito550 wrote: »
    AAI are going with 100. How is it possible to hold Nationals or any meaningful competition with such ridiculous restrictions for outdoor events.

    Looks like I'll be racing in Mary Peters a lot this summer. First one this Saturday.




    It will increase in July to 200 or more




  • Park runs are further down the road than road races right now. Scotland, Wales, North and Ireland are resisting it alot.
    Wales has the highest vaccination and they are against it still.

    Not sure that it's being resisted. Just the rules for NI, and especially Wales and Scotland, are deliberately, and annoyingly, just slightly different enough to make out that they are doing something radically different from Boris Johnson. So it means that the numbers of people that can meet in England is 6 but Scotland then say 8 and Wales pick another number.

    On the sports side of things parkrun is based around for England there being no limits for organised sports, but Wales and Scotland didn't copy those bits of the guidance. Wales just apply their groups of 30 rule regardless of the activity, and I'm not sure what the Scotland equivalent is. They have also not been as specific in setting out what will happen on what dates, at least not enough for the likes of parkrun to be able to plan for set dates.

    But more junior events will be restarting in Wales and NI in the next couple of weeks, and there are positive noises about progress being made for 5km events in Scotland now also.

    Could end up with parkrun in England having to delay the restart by a month, and then Scotland spots a publicity opportunity and says something more decisive from government about their events being allowed just to get them begun a week sooner.




  • Timmaay wrote: »
    Ugggh yeh alot of committees planning meets based on the 200 person limit last few weeks (which itself is very tricky, trying to juggle timetables etc). 100 people really means 80 max athlete's to allow for officals etc.

    For juvenile meets, a limit of 100 effectively means no more than 40 athletes, as you have to allow for a parent accompanying each athlete aged under 18.




  • It will increase in July to 200 or more

    Too late for National Seniors. It needs to take place during Olympic qualification window.

    May as well join a NI club at this rate, I'll be up there so much




  • Chivito550 wrote: »
    Too late for National Seniors. It needs to take place during Olympic qualification window.

    May as well join a NI club at this rate, I'll be up there so much




    There were races in Le Cheile last weekend I thought with a timetable every 30 mins. Could they not do that for the nationals?


    So 12:00 Focus on 100m



    etc

    Limit the fields to the top 20 or so.




  • There were races in Le Cheile last weekend I thought with a timetable every 30 mins. Could they not do that for the nationals?


    So 12:00 Focus on 100m



    etc

    Limit the fields to the top 20 or so.

    You've obviously never been part of a national championships if you think it can be conducted in such a manner.

    Also, top 20 based on what? Times this season from the few races that happened? Times from last year when many didn't race? Times from 2 years ago? Cherry pick those we think are top 20?

    Pure nonsense.


  • Advertisement


  • Chivito550 wrote: »
    You've obviously never been part of a national championships if you think it can be conducted in such a manner.




    Oh i have been to a few. These things should work like clock work, embrace technology etc

    Just needs a bit of proper organization in it.


Advertisement